What is PostgreSQL?
PostgreSQL is an open-source database management system for enterprise-class database applications. It supports both SQL and JSON for relational and non-relational queries for extensibility and SQL compliance. It also offers advanced data types and performance optimization features to store and scale complicated database workloads. It is also known as Postgres.
PostgreSQL Tutorial Summary
This PostgreSQL tutorial for beginners is designed to learn PostgreSQL basics to advance topics like creating a database, create a table, drop the database, drop table, select table, insert a record, update record, delete a record, order by, group by, triggers, substring, database keys, PSQL commands, etc. This PostgreSQL tutorials guide will help you with PostgreSQL learning and PostgreSQL basics. The advance stuff like Joins, View, Triggers, etc. are also covered in this PSQL tutorial.
What should I know?
This Postgres database tutorial guide is designed for beginners with little or no PostgreSQL Experience. This PostgreSQL training will help you understand all the basics of PostgreSQL.
PostgreSQL Course Syllabus
|👉 Lesson 1||What is PostgreSQL? — Introduction, Advantages & Disadvantages|
|👉 Lesson 2||Install PostgreSQL on Windows — How to Download & Install PostgreSQL|
|👉 Lesson 3||Install PostgreSQL on Ubuntu — How to Install PostgreSQL on Ubuntu|
|👉 Lesson 4||PostgreSQL Data Types — Character | Numeric | Binary | Boolean|
|👉 Lesson 1||PostgreSQL/Postgres Create Database — How to Create Example|
|👉 Lesson 2||PostgreSQL DROP/Delete DATABASE — PSQL Command Example|
|👉 Lesson 3||How to Create & Drop Table in PostgreSQL — Learn with Example|
|👉 Lesson 4||PostgreSQL INSERT — Inserting Data into a Table|
|👉 Lesson 5||Create User in PostgreSQL — How to Add, Alt & Delete USER?|
|👉 Lesson 6||DISTINCT in PostgreSQL — Select | Order By & Limit [Examples]|
|👉 Lesson 7||PostgreSQL Array — Functions, Type, Example|
|👉 Lesson 8||PostgreSQL BETWEEN — Learn with Example|
|👉 Lesson 9||PostgreSQL IN, Not IN — Learn with Example|
|👉 Lesson 10||PostgreSQL LIKE, Not Like, Wildcards (%, _ ) — Learn with Example|
|👉 Lesson 11||PostgreSQL EXISTS — What is, Examples|
|👉 Lesson 12||PostgreSQL DELETE Row matching 1/2 Condition — Learn with Example|
|👉 Lesson 13||PostgreSQL ALTER Table — ADD Column, Rename Column/Table Examples|
|👉 Lesson 14||PostgreSQL SUBSTRING() — What is PostgreSQL Substring? with Example|
|👉 Lesson 15||PostgreSQL Union, Union ALL — Learn with Example|
|👉 Lesson 16||PostgreSQL Joins — Inner, Outer, Left, Right, Natural with Examples|
|👉 Lesson 17||PostgreSQL Create View — What is PostgreSQL View? and Example|
|👉 Lesson 18||PostgreSQL Trigger — Create, Drop Example|
|👉 Lesson 19||PostgreSQL Constraints — Types with Example|
|👉 Lesson 1||PostgreSQL vs MySQL — What is the Difference?|
How to Install PostgreSQL
Following are the steps to download and install PostgreSQL:
- Step 1) Go to https://www.postgresql.org/download and select your preferred operating system
- Step 2) Open the installer .exe file to start installing
- Step 3) Select your preferred language
- Step 4) Locate the path to install the PostgreSQL software on your system
- Step 5) Select the components you want to install
- Step 6) Set the superuser password and make a note of it
- Step 7) Give the port number as the default
- Step 8) Click the Next button to start the installation
How to Start PostgreSQL
Following are the steps to start using PostgreSQL:
- Step 1) Go to Start Menu and search pgAdmin 4
- Step 2) The pgAdmin homepage will open
- Step 3) Click on Servers > PostgreSQL 10 in the left tree
- Step 4) Enter superuser password set during installation and click the OK button
- Step 5) The PostgreSQL dashboard will open
Uses of PostgreSQL
Following are the popular uses of PostgreSQL:
- Financial Industry:PostgreSQL is an ideal DBMS system for the financial industry.
- Government GIS data:PostgreSQL offers powerful GIS, called “PostGIS” which provides hundreds of functions to process geometric data in different formats.
- Manufacturing:PostgreSQL is also used in industrial manufacturing to speed up the overall business process.
- Web technology and NoSQL:PostgreSQL works fine with all modern web frameworks like Django, Node.js, Hibernate, PHP, etc. It offers replication capabilities to scale out many database servers.
- Scientific data:PostgreSQL offers wonderful analytical capabilities and a powerful SQL engine. This helps you to manage a large amount of data with ease.