QlikView is a business intelligence tool for data integration, conversational analytics, and converting raw data into a knowledge base. QlikView offers features for ad hoc queries and facilitates quick decision-making based on easily accessible information. This software works on the associative model and can go into any direction to search the answers.
In this QlikView tutorial for beginners, you will learn QlikView basics like:
- What is QlikView?
- Why is Qlikview widely used?
- Important features of QlikView
- History of QlikView
- Architecture of Qlik view
- Download and Install QlikView
- Associative vs. Traditional Search
- QlikView vs. Tableau
- Application of Qlik view
- Disadvantages of using Qlik view
Here, are the major benefits/ advantages of using QlikView.
- It is simple and very intuitive to use the platform.
- Offers data visualization in a meaningful and innovative way
- Immediate response time with no restrictions on the amount of data
- Allows you to search across all data directly and indirectly
- The QlikView provides support for dynamic applications, dashboards, and analyses, etc.
- Facilitates fast integration of data from various sources into a single application.
- Helps you to Identify trends and information to make the most innovative decisions.
- Allows you to access, analyze, and retrieve data from mobile devices.
- Provides a quick return on investment, because of a short implementation period.
- Faster Development and Change Management
- Self Service Business Intelligence for end users.
1) Associative Data Modeling:
QlikView works on an in-memory Associative Model. So you don’t need “IT professionals’ If you can write SQL select Query and understand your data.
QlikView is a windows only product, but it is genuinely optimized for 64 bit and multiple processors.
3) Cost effective:
QlikView is a memory resident app, so it is a highly cost-effective option for your organization.
QlikView is very economical with disk space as the amount of memory depends upon the amount of data you want for each application.
Other Important features
- Data Association is maintained automatically
- Data is stored in memory for multiple users, to offers a super-fast user experience
- Data will be compressed to 10% of its original size
- Transparent reporting and Scalability with Data Integration
- Various forms of data presentation
- Fast implementation
- Unique Data Discovery & Global Search
- Secure Working Environment
- Visual Analytics & In-Direct Searches
- Flexibility & Integrations
- Consistent reporting
Now in this QlikView tutorials guide, we will learn about QlikView History:
- Qlikview was founded in Sweden in 1993 by Staffan Gestreliu and Bjorn Berg.
- Qlik is a software firm based in Radnor, Pennsylvania.
- Earlier it is called “QuikView” as in “Quality, Understanding, Interaction, Knowledge’ later it is pronounced as “QlikView.”
- First two versions were written in Excel using VLOOKUPs
- Today QlikView offices are located across the world with 1400 Employees, and it has the customer base of 28000 in 100 countries.
- Qlik established partnerships with famous IT companies like HP and Intel.
- Today its user base has spread across 34,000 customers across 100 countries.
- It has over 2000 employees worldwide and more than 1,500 partners around the world.
- As of April 2011, Qlik view had a market capitalization over $2 billion.
- In 2019, QlikTech gets the license from the RBI to operate a liaison office in Bangalore.
Now in this QlikView for dummies tutorial, we will learn about the architecture of QlikView:
The Qlik view architecture comprises of three main components, namely
- QlikView Server
- Qlik View Publisher
- QlikView Desktop.
All these components collectively help in designing, developing, and implement the QlikView application.
Let’s learn all these components in detail:
The QlikView Desktop is a Windows-based development tool. It is used by developers to use to create QlikView data model and GUI layout for application to use at frontend.
The developer prepares data for user to use in the desktop environment. They manipulate the data set using SQL like scripting.
Developers using code script, linkages/association between data fields and value can be established. The data can also be transformed. The files prepared using the Qlick view desktop can be used and shared in another QlikView application.
QlikView Server (QVS)
Applications created in the desktop version are hosted on Qlik View Server (QVS) so that user can access and use them anywhere. A QlikView server maintains communication between client/end users.
Qlikview server is supported by a powerful QLX engine which provides efficient in-memory data analysis, Data management, distribution, consolidation, scaling, and data access. It is the QVS server which provides data file from the backend to frontend users.
The QlikView Publisher is an optional mobile for the QlikView server-side component. This component allows you to fetch data from a data source like standard data files, Salesforce, and load data directly into QlikView files.
It allows you to conduct data distribution through scheduling and administering tasks. Qlik View Publisher also helps you to reduce unnecessary data load and traffic by efficient distribution.
QlikView Management Console
Qlick view management console is a platform that centrally manages all the other QlikView components. It is a web-based interface and a server-side app controlled by IT professionals.
QlikView User Access
QlikView User Access allows customers to access and manipulate data files. The access points for the user are mostly web browsers which can open using desktop, mobile, laptops, etc.
Therefore, when the user opens a document in Qlickview and requests to load a data file, the file fetch by the service from the backend is always in the original format. However, the QlikView document made using that file is still in .qvw extension.
Now in this Qlik sense tutorial, let’s learn how to download and install QlikView:
The Free Personal Edition of QlikView can be downloaded and installed as follows
Step 1) Fill the registration form and click send form button
Step 2) Click on the Download Now button at the bottom of your screen
Step 3) Click on the downloaded file. In the following screen, Select the language – English (United States). Click on Ok button
Step 4) In the installation wizard screen, click on Next button.
Step 5) In the User License Agreement screen.
- Click on first option ” I accept the terms in the license agreement.”
- Click on Next button.
- Add Organisation name in the Customer information screen
- Click on Next button
- Select the destination folder where you wants to install Qlikview
- Click on Next button to continue.
- Select set up type Complete
- Then click on Next button
Step 9) In the ready to Install program screen, Click on the Install button
Step 10) Next screen displays the status of your install process
Step 11) In the InstallShield wizard screen and Click on the finish button to complete the installation process
Step 12) Click on the Qlickview12 icon in your windows desktop, and you will see this welcome screen.
|Linear, pre-defined thinking||Follows the user|
|It takes months to change.||It just takes minutes to change.|
|Support for Data Modeling||It supports powerful Data Modeling||It is not supported in Tableau.|
|Speed of Implementation||Excellent||Good|
|User-friendliness||Less user-friendly||More user-friendly|
|Database connectivity||Good||Offers Enhanced Database connectivity|
|Visual Controls||Very Good||Best|
|Understanding of Scripting||Basic SQL||R programming|
- Helps you to analyze revenue data based on various filters for a large multinational corporation.
- Allows you to create detailed visualization report based on social media response from customers all over the world.
- Qlikview tool allows you to make decisions based on predicting the cause and effect with diagrams by using its historical data.
- QlikView allows you to analyzes inventories, work orders, sales, and staffing utilization – all focused on improving performance.
- The tools allow you to analyze information on sales, production, shipping, and product performance.
- You will able to easily and quickly create reports and analyzes on a strategic, operational, and tactical level.
- Canon, Panasonic, Shell, FILA, ING LEASE are some known companies using Qlickview for their businesses.
Here, are major cons/ drawback of using Qlik view tool.
- As QlikView needs to do a bulk load all data to the system RAM, reloading data needs considerable workload and can take a large amount of time.
- It doesn’t offer any advanced ETL capabilities that are needed for more complex data integration.
- QlikView doesn’t offer some advanced capabilities required for developing highly formatted reports.
- QlikView is a specially designed tool for interactive analysis and not for report writing.
- If you want to create a formatted report in QlikView, you need to use macros and the duplication and maintenance of QlikView objects.
- It is just simple reporting & analysis tool which does not allow WRITE BACK to the database.
- Qlikview is a business intelligence tool which is used for converting raw data into knowledge.
- This BI tool offers data visualization in a meaningful and innovative way.
- QlikView works on an in-memory Associative Model which elements the need of professional IT people for your organization.
- Qlikview was founded in Sweden in 1993 by Staffan Gestreliu and Bjorn Berg.
- The Qlik view architecture comprises of three main components, namely 1)QlikView Server, 2)Qlik View Publisher, and 3) QlikView Desktop.
- Qlick view offers supports for Data modeling while Tableau does not provide this feature.
- Qlikview allows you to analyze revenue data based on various filters for a large multinational corporation.
- The biggest drawback of Qlikview tool is that it doesn’t offer any advanced ETL capabilities that are needed for more complex data integration.