There are certain DNS (domain name system) servers used for gaming. These servers are optimized to meet the gaming requirements of the user. A reliable DNS server for gaming offers low latency, high speed, and high uptime. Always stay away from gaming servers that do not promise consistency. They may be vulnerable to DDoS threats and frequent DNS resolution failures.
After experimenting with several DNS gaming servers, we have listed the top picks. These DNS servers meet our expectations regarding high privacy, top-notch security, uninterrupted connectivity, and multiple configuration options. Please read our review to learn what they offer.
Top Fastest DNS Servers for Gaming (Free / Paid)
|Provider||Primary DNS||Secondary DNS||Security||Link|
|Cloudflare||22.214.171.124||126.96.36.199||FWaaS, SSL/TLS, API Shield, BOT management, DDoS, WAF, etc.||Learn More|
|Google Public DNS||188.8.131.52||184.108.40.206||Encrypted transport protocols, DNS over HTTPS, and DNS over TLS.||Learn More|
|OpenDNS||220.127.116.11||18.104.22.168||Filtering the web content at the individual domain level.||Learn More|
|Quad9||22.214.171.124||126.96.36.199||Blocks malware, fraud resistance, etc.||Learn More|
|NordVPN||188.8.131.52||184.108.40.206||Ad blocker, tracker blocker, malware protection, dark web monitoring, and split tunneling.||Learn More|
Cloudflare DNS is one of the fastest DNS servers for gaming. This enterprise-level DNS service promises unparalleled redundancy, fast response time, and easy configuration. It also comes integrated with DNSSEC and DDoS mitigation options.
Whether you are a casual or a pro gamer, this DNS service ensures your gaming experience is enjoyable. It may be the user-friendly interface, adult-content blocks, privacy, or encrypted connections. Cloudflare DNS impresses with its all-round performance.
|Cloudflare Public IP||Cloudflare Public Address|
|IPv4||Primary DNS: 220.127.116.11
Secondary DNS: 18.104.22.168
|IPv6||Primary DNS: 2606:4700:4700::1112
Secondary DNS: 2606:4700:4700::1002
- Advanced security: The Cloudflare Advanced Security feature comes integrated with DNSSEC and DDoS mitigation to ensure maximum safety against DNS attacks. All your personal data is encrypted under the latest encryption policy as a necessary safety measure.
- Safeguard from DNS attacks: Cloudflare offers built-in DDoS protection and one-click DNSSEC to ensure your applications are always safeguarded from DNS attacks.
- Locations: This DNS server comes with an expanded server capacity and global coverage over 100+ countries. Such coverage allows gamers to have uninterrupted gameplay no matter where they are located.
- DNS lookup speed: Offering an average lookup speed of 11ms. On the other hand, the worldwide DNS propagation it offers is less than five seconds.
Pricing: Basic plan is available for Free. Premium paid plans start at $20 per month, billed annually.
OpenDNS is a good DNS server for gaming. It protects the system against security threats like Phishing, malware, etc. As a result, you can enjoy lag-free performance even on high-demand servers and multi-player gaming modes.
You can also use OpenDNS to block certain categories of content and websites. Listed among the fastest DNS servers for gaming, OpenDNS is trusted by gamers for its stable performance and high security.
|OpenDNS Public IP||OpenDNS Public Address|
|IPv4||Primary DNS: 22.214.171.124.
Secondary DNS: 126.96.36.199.
|IPv6||Primary DNS: 2620:119:35::35
Secondary DNS: 2620:119:53::53
- Content filtering: You can filter and manage website content online using the OpenDNS admin privileges. This helps the computers connected to a specific network and inherit the same settings.
- Auto-configuration: OpenDNS comes with auto-configuration of certain security parameters. Once the DNS server is configured, it will block any end-user from accessing Phishing and threat websites.
- Adult-Content Protection: The Family Shield is an advanced feature of OpenDNS that restricts adult content. This feature is the fastest way to safeguard kids from accessing adult websites online.
- Customized security settings: You can modify the security features as needed. Such customized security setups are perfect for the creation and management of the networks.
Pricing: Free plans are available. Paid plans are available from $19.95 per year.
3) Google Public DNS
Google Public DNS is one of the best DNS servers for gaming and is available for free. It can speed up your overall browsing experience and its team accepts bug reports.
This DNS server is considered to be the largest public domain name system provider globally. With Google DNS server, you can have a secure gaming experience with faster connectivity across different domain systems.
|Google Public DNS Public IP||Google Public DNS Public Address|
|IPv4||Primary DNS: 188.8.131.52
Secondary DNS: 184.108.40.206
|IPv6||Primary DNS: 2001:4860:4860::8888
Secondary DNS: 2001:4860:4860::8844
- Faster DNS Lookup: Google Public DNS assures faster DNS lookup times. It provisions an adequate number of servers to manage load from different traffic. Additionally, Google DNS manages load-balancing part effortlessly to improve the overall rate of cache hits across the server clusters.
- Auto-detection of ECS: This free DNS service auto-detects the ECS support using an IP address instead of a DNS zone or name server hostname. Google will send DNS queries if a server sends no ECS responses.
- Secured DNS transports: This is one of the better alternate DNS options that supports DoT (DNS over TLS) and DoH (DNS over HTTPS). In this process, Google uses DNS64 DNS settings, not the basic DNS.Google option.
- DDoS protection: Google Public DNS offers one of the easiest ways to secure your server against all types of DDoS attacks. Such tight protection prevents hackers from redirecting users to malicious domains.
Pricing: Free to avail.
Quad9 is a free DNS gaming server provider. This gaming server offers top-rated privacy to gamers. It is also extremely secure, ensuring full protection from any malicious sites. If a hostname is to be a threat, Quad9 will immediately block any request from it.
This free DNS server for gaming can generate an updated list of threats within a few seconds. It blocks any malicious site lookup while your computer uses the DNS for different internet transactions. This entire approach is necessary to improve the overall performance of the gaming.
|Quad9 Public IP||Quad9 Public Address|
|IPv4||Primary DNS: 220.127.116.11
Secondary DNS: 18.104.22.168
|IPv6||Primary DNS: 22.214.171.124
Secondary DNS: 126.96.36.199
- Threat Blocking: It effectively blocks threats and phishing bots from domains, preventing your system from falling prey to hacker attacks. As a result, gamers will experience a secure platform while playing.
- Maintains Data Privacy: Quad9 does not retain any personal data. You need not have to sign any contract or open an account for this service. It never stores any IP addresses to ensure strong data privacy.
- Anycast Systems: The servers are located in over 200 locations globally at Internet Exchange points. Anycast Systems ensures that queries are automatically moved to the closest operational system, resulting in faster troubleshoots.
- Easy Setup: It is a straightforward process to configure and set up Quad9. You can follow the instructions provided and set up Quad9 in your operating system.
Pricing: Quad9 is completely free to use.
NordVPN is a virtual private network that uses domain name systems to easily navigate gaming devices. NordVPN has private DNS servers that safely handle your DNS requests exclusively without keeping anyone in the loop.
With NordVPN, you will have a secure online gaming experience. Your privacy will never be compromised while using this private DNS.
|NordVPN Public IP||NordVPN Public Address|
|IPv4||Primary DNS: 188.8.131.52
Secondary DNS: 184.108.40.206
|IPv6||Does not support IPv6.|
- Protection against threats: With NordVPN, you get the best protection against vital threats using the Threat Protection feature. It acts as a tracker and ad blocker to protect against malware. NordVPN also prevents you from accessing high-risk websites.
- Double VPN: This advanced security feature encrypts your data, routing the traffic through dual VPN servers. At first, the traffic is secured through encryption before redirecting it to the remote VPN server. After the traffic reaches the server, it is then encrypted again.
- Extremely Fast: NordVPN is among the fastest options for fast DNS servers. Gamers will never face any lags while engaging in multi-player online games over the network. There will be no performance issues, either.
- Dark Web monitoring: The Dark Web Monitoring feature allows users to search for any data breach with their registered email address with NordVPN. Whether you use iOS, Windows, Android, or macOS, this feature works well with any device.
- Personalized private network: Set up a Meshnet which acts as your private virtual network. It makes it safe and easy to access other devices and share files. Meshnet provides low latency, best security, and fast speed for gamers.
Pricing: Monthly paid plans start at $14.99 and have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
30-Day Free Trial
If you are looking for an alternative DNS server for gaming, consider using OpenNic. This reliable DNS service option is peered with multiple DNS roots to access different namespaces from a single server.
With OpenNIC, online gamers will not have to worry about censored content. You will have access to unrated content, which promises a flawless experience.
|OpenNic Public IP||OpenNic Public Address|
|IPv4||Primary DNS: 220.127.116.11
Secondary DNS: 18.104.22.168
|IPv6||Primary DNS: 2620:119:35::35
Secondary DNS: 2620:119:53::53
- DNS Decentralization: OpenNic offers DNS servers from different sources. Availing of this service minimizes the dependency on one centralized option like ICANN. As a result, uncensored game content becomes available to the gamers.
- Choosing your DNS: You can select any DNS server as your preference. There is an option to filter your selection based on different levels of censorship resistance, privacy, and security.
- Prevents DNS Hijacking: With OpenNic, you can prevent DNS hijacking. If you have accidentally typed the wrong web address, there is an option to prevent the server from visiting it. This option safeguards your server against any potential threats.
- Emercoin partnership: OpenNic has partnered with the popular blockchain platform Emercoin. Since this platform supports numerous distributed network services, you can access different TLDs like .bazar, .lib, .emc, and .coin.
- Free website creation: You can create your website from a wide range of available domain extensions offered for free.
Pricing: OpenNic does not charge any money to use the DNS service. It is free of cost.
SafeDNS is a content filtering service provider. It filters and protects the DNS settings for devices connected online. SafeDNS works online using AI to detect malicious websites and scripts and also categorizes domains automatically.
This tool helps network administrators and organizations. Additionally, gamers can enjoy a safe working environment as it restricts access to threats and malicious web content.
|SafeDNS Public IP||SafeDNS Public Address|
|IPv4||Primary DNS: 22.214.171.124
Secondary DNS: 126.96.36.199
|IPv6||Primary DNS: 2001:67c:2778::3939
Secondary DNS: 2001:67c:2778::3940
- Blocks services: Using SafeDNS, you can block domains connected to a specific internet service provider. If an application is blocked, you cannot access the associated website. This tool ensures easy and safe access to DNS servers.
- Filter the content: The cloud content filtering process provides an additional security layer at the network level. This feature also prevents gamers from accessing malicious content on devices connected to guest Wi-Fi and networks.
- Scalable Anycast network: Considered one of the easiest and best DNS for gaming, SafeDNS is perfect for a scalable Anycast network that assures zero latency and fast response globally. It covers the entire world using Tier IV nodes to ensure stability even under difficult scenarios.
- AI-categorization: DNS requests are categorized, and the database is updated regularly. This procedure uses AI with machine language integration to better analyze and process data from trusted resources.
- Safe when roaming: Blocking anonymous requests and proxies prevents any bypass for software agents and cloud-based systems. This approach applies to any network. It even works behind the Network Address Translation.
Pricing: A free trial is available. Paid plans start at $0.9 per month.
What is a DNS Server For Gaming?
The DNS servers listed can be used for different purposes. A primary and alternate DNS server for gaming is used exclusively to enhance the cloud-based multi-player gaming experience.
A good DNS server for gaming improves the response time and reduces the latency rate. Thus allowing gamers to experience zero disturbances when participating in fast-paced, high-end games over a competitive network.
How does DNS work?
DNS gaming servers work similarly to regular DNS servers. However, a primary DNS server for gaming will focus largely on optimizing the overall performance of the games when running on the server.
It uses the IP address of the domain and verifies its presence within the cache. The gamer can connect directly through the server if it finds the IP address within the cache. If the IP address is not present in the cache, it sends a query to find a DNS cache where the IP address is present.
Importance of DNS servers for gaming
DNS server for gaming enhances the overall gaming experience. A good DNS server may have several benefits for gamers. Have a look:
- Better stability
- Enhanced responsiveness
- Superior cloud gaming experience
- Faster resolution time
- Optimized routing
- Total privacy
- Global accessibility
What factors should you consider when choosing a DNS for gaming?
- A gamer will look for a DNS server to experience optimal gaming performance.
- A good gaming DNS will be compatible with different games. There should be support for different MOD packs.
- It should have content filtering and parental control support.
- For better performance, look for a DNS server that assures higher uptime.
- Finally, the DNS gaming server must be secured to prevent phishing attacks and other online threats.
The best gaming DNS servers assure reliability, security, and faster gameplay experience. We have focused on DNS servers compatible with different MOD packs and games. Before concluding our review of the best DNS gaming servers, here are our top 3 picks:
- Cloudflare: Cloudflare DNS great option for accessing vast networks. Moreover, it has a stable infrastructure that prevents attacks.
- OpenDNS: Arguably the best gaming server regarding security coverage. OpenDNS also enhances the users’ overall experience with better response time and reduced latency.
- Google Public DNS: One of the best features of Google Public DNS is its protection against cache DNS poisoning. Google Public DNS servers are associated with a vast network of global servers that promise reliability and availability.