What is Localization Testing?
Localization Testing is a software testing technique, where the product is checked to assure that it behaves according to the local culture or settings. In other words, it is a process of customizing software application as per the targeted language and country.
The major area affected by localization testing includes content and UI.
It is a process of testing a globalized application whose UI, default language, currency, date, time format and documentation are designed as per the targeted country or region. It ensures that the application is capable enough for using in that particular country.
1. If the project is designed for Tamil Nadu State in India, The designed project should be in Tamil language, tamil virtual keyboard should be present, etc.
2. If the project is designed for the USA, then the time format should be changed according to the USA Standard time. Also language and money format should follow USA standards.
Why to do Localization Testing?
The purpose of doing localization testing is to check appropriate linguistic and cultural aspects for a particular locale. It includes a change in user interface or even the initial settings according to the requirements.
In this type of testing, many different testers will repeat the same functions. They verify various things like typographical errors, cultural appropriateness of UI, linguistic errors, etc.
It is also called as "L10N", because there has 10 characters in between L & N in the word localization.
Testing Execution Arrangement
1. Build verification testing is a small subset of functional testing, which is performed before QA starts with any detailed testing.
2. Normal testing is the step to run the normal test cases and find log defects during execution.
3. Regression Testing is Defect regression process to ensure that the defect is fixed while there is no impact of fixed defects to surrounding areas.
4. Final Sign-off is to perform final checking on the build before delivery to the client.
Automation in Localization testing
If the project is big and needs to test often, then we go for Automation Testing.
Choose automation tool to write scripts.
Take the scenario to be tested for localization strategy.
Write scripts according to that.
Collect the results and update the scenario as Pass/Fail.
Note: Selenium is one of the pioneering tools in this area. It is very feature-rich, however, it requires more technical knowledge to use.
Best practices for Localization testing
- Hire a localization firm with expertise in i18n engineering
- Make sure your localization testing strategy enables more time for double-byte languages.
- Ensure that you properly internationalize your code for the DBCS before extracting any text to send for translation
Check this tutorial for difference between localization and globalization testing.
Sample Test Cases for Localization Testing
|S.No||Test Case Description|
|1||Glossaries are available for reference and check.|
|2||Time and date is properly formatted for target region.|
|3||Phone number formats are proper to target region.|
|4||Currency for the target region.|
|5||Is the License and Rules obeying the current website(region).|
|6||Text Content Layout in the pages are error free, font independence and line alignments.|
|7||Special characters, hyperlinks and hot keys functionality.|
|8||Validation Message for Input Fields.|
|9||The generated build includes all the necessary files.|
|10||The localized screen has the same type of elements and numbers as that of the source product.|
|11||Ensure the localized user interface of software or web applications compares to the source user interface in the target operating systems and user environments.|
Following are the benefits of localization testing
- Overall testing cost reduce
- Overall support cost reduce
- Helps in reducing the time for testing.
- It has more flexibility and scalability.
Following are the challenges of localization testing
- Requires a domain expert
- Hiring local translator often makes the process expensive
- Storage of DBCS characters differ in various country
- Tester may face schedule challenges
- Localization testing is done to assure that product behaves according to the local culture or settings
- The major area affected by localization testing includes content and UI.
- Tester verifies various things like typographical errors, cultural appropriateness of UI, linguistic errors, etc.
This article is contributed by Deepan Fernandez