Frontend Testing is a type of testing that checks the Presentation layer of a 3 Tier Architecture.
In this tutorial, we will learn-
- What is Front-end testing?
- What is Back-end testing?
- Frontend Testing Vs Backend Testing
- Important Front end testing tools:
- Important Back end testing tools:
Backend testing is a type of testing that checks the Application and Database layer of a 3 Tier Architecture.
In a complex software application like ERP, back-end testing would entail checking the business logic in the Application Layer. For simpler applications, backend testing checks the server-side or Database. It means that data entered in the front end will be checked in the back-end database. The database format can be SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, DB2, etc. The data will be organized in the tables as a record.
Databases are checked for ACID properties, CRUD operations, their Schema, Business rule conformance. Databases is also checked for Security and Performance.
In back-end testing, there is no need to use the GUI. You can directly pass the data using a browser with the parameters required for the function to get the response in some default format. For Example, XML or JSON. You also connect to the database directly and verify the data using SQL queries.
|Frontend testing||Backend testing|
|Frontend testing is always performed on the GUI.||Back End Testing involves databases and business logic testing.|
|The tester must be knowledgeable about the business requirements as well as the usage of the automation frameworks tools.||The tester to be able to perform back-end testing must have a strong background in the database and Structured Query Language (SQL) concepts.|
|GUI is used to perform the Testing||GUI may or may not be used to perform Testing|
|It does not need any information to be stored in a database.||It does need information stored in the database.|
|It is essential to check the overall functionality of the application.||Backend testing is important to check for deadlock, data corruption, data loss, etc|
|Types of Testing done are – Unit Tests, Acceptance Testing, Accessibility Testing, Regression Testing, etc.||Three widely used types of database testing are SQL Testing, API Testing, etc.|
There are many tools available for front-end testing. Here, given are three popular front-end testing tools.
LiveReload is a simple Web protocol. It triggers events to the clients whenever files are modified. Clients can handle this event in their way, even if the most common use case is when a file is modified.
Database testing also refers to Back-end testing is very important. Here, are some important back-end testing tools which help to find issues like deadlocking, data corruption, and poor performance.
1. Data Factory:
Data factory is database testing tool. It works as data generator and data manager for database testing. It has very easy to use interface and capable of managing complicated data relationship.
2. Data Generator:
DTM Data Generator is another backend testing tool. It is used for generating data rows and schema objects for database testing. The tool supports Load Usability and performance testing on the database.
Mockupdata software tool can be used to generate test data with foreign keys. It allows to use Select, Updates, and Delete SQL commands. It also supports multiple sequential files and relational databases.
- Front End Testing is performed on the GUI while Back End Testing involves databases testing.
- Backend testing checks the Application and Database layer of a 3 Tier Architecture.
- Frontend tester must be knowledgeable about the business requirements.
- The tester must have a strong background in the database and SQL concepts.
- Frontend testing is always performed on the GUI.
- Back End Testing involves both databases and business logic testing.
- In Frontend, testing is very much important to check the overall functionality of the application.
- Backend testing is important to check for deadlock, data corruption, data loss, etc.
- Grunt, LiveReload, Karma are important frontend testing tools.
- Data factory, Data Generator, Turbo data are few important backend testing tools.