Ansible is a DevOps tool which automates software provisioning, configuration management, and application deployment. It is used to set up and manage infrastructure and applications.
Here, is a curated list of top 8 tools that can easily replace Ansible. This list includes commercial as well as open-source tools with popular features and latest download link.
Alternatives to Ansible: Top Picks
Rudder is a DevOps solution for continuous configuration and auditing. It is easy to use web-driven solution for IT automation.
- Workflow offers various user options like non-expert users, expert users, and managers
- Automate common system administration tasks such as installation and configuration
- Enforce configuration over time
- Provide Inventory of all managed nodes
- Web interface for configuring and managing nodes
- Compliance reporting by configuration or by node
Download link: https://www.rudder-project.org/site/get-rudder/downloads/
SaltStack is configuration management and orchestration tool. It is one of the best Ansible alternatives that enables system administrators to automate server provisioning and management tasks.
- This alternative to Ansible offers a simple programming interface
- Prebuilt modules to support 100s of applications
- Powerful API interacts easily with other systems
- SaltStack is designed to handle ten thousand minions per master
Download link: https://www.saltstack.com/
3) Puppet Enterprise
Puppet enterprise tool eliminates manual work for software delivery process. This Ansible alternative helps developer to deliver great software rapidly
- Puppet enterprise tool eliminates manual work for software delivery process. This Ansible equivalent software helps developer to deliver great software rapidly
- Model and manage your entire environment
- Intelligent orchestration and visual workflows
- Real-time context-aware reporting
- Define and continually enforce infrastructure
- It inspects and reports on packages running across infrastructure
- Desired state conflict detection and remediation
Download link: https://puppet.com/try-puppet/puppet-enterprise/
Chef is a useful DevOps tool for achieving speed, scale, and consistency. It is a Cloud based system. It can be used to ease out complex tasks and perform automation.
- Accelerate cloud adoption
- Effectively manage data centers
- It can manage multiple cloud environments
- It maintains high availability
Download link: https://downloads.chef.io/
CFEngine is a DevOps tool for IT automation. It is an ideal tool for configuration management. It is one of the best Ansible competitors that helps teams to automate large-scale complex infrastructure.
- Provides rapid solution with the execution time less than one second
- An open source configuration solution with an unmatched security record
- It conducted billions of compliance checks in large-scale production environments
- This Ansible software alternative tool allows deploying a model-based configuration change across 50,000 servers in very few minutes
Download link: https://cfengine.com/product/free-download/
6) Gitlab CI
GitLab CI is a part of GitLab. It is a web application with an API that stores its state in a database. It is one of the best Ansible analogs that manages projects and provides a friendly user interface, besides offering the advantage of all the features of GitLab.
- GitLab Container Registry is a secure registry for Docker images
- GitLab offers a convenient way to change metadata of an issue or merge request without adding slash commands in the comment field
- It provides APIs for most features, so it allows developers to create deeper integrations with the product
- Helps developers to put their idea into production by finding areas of improvement in their development process
- It helps you to keep your information secure with Confidential Issues
- Internal projects in GitLab allow promoting inner sourcing of internal repositories.
Download link: https://about.gitlab.com/installation/
Jenkins is an open-source continuous integration tool. It is written using the Java programming language. It facilitates real-time testing and reporting on isolated changes in a larger code base. This software similar to Ansible helps developers to quickly find and solve defects in their code base & automate testing of their builds.
- Provide support to scale out to a large number of nodes and distribute the workload equally among them
- Easily updated with all OS and versions of Linux, Mac OS or Windows
- It offers easy installation as Jenkins comes as a WAR file all you need to drop into your JEE container and your setup up ready to run.
- Jenkins can be easily set up and configured with the help of its web interface
- It’s can easily distribute work across several machines,
Download link: https://www.jenkins.io/download/
Codenvy automates applications or micro services to any number of servers. It fully automates deployments of text and binary files from any number of target servers.
- It allows managing environment-specific configuration parameters for your application
- It allows generating command-line installers to be used for deployments on any environment
- This software development tool eliminates the need for installation & configuration.
- It takes out many operational risks in the software development process
- The friendly web interface lets configure deployments efficiently and painlessly
- It supports a broad range operating systems including Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris, etc.
Download link: https://codenvy.com/
❓ What is Ansible?
Ansible is a DevOps tool that automates software provisioning, configuration management, and application deployment. This tool is used to set up and manage infrastructure and applications.
⚡ How Ansible works?
Ansible is a simple IT automation tool that is easy to deploy. It connects to your nodes and pushes out small programs called “Ansible modules” to those nodes. Then it executes these models over SSH and removes them when finished. The library of modules will reside on any machine, therefore there is no requirement for any servers and databases.
💻 How Ansible is used in DevOps?
Ansible is used in DevOps for various applications like OS installation and deinstallation, OS configuration, user creation and removal, user password and key management, creation and removal of virtual machines, code deployment, running scripts, etc. It is also used to manage Linux and Windows nodes.
🏅 What are the drawbacks of Ansible?
Following are few drawbacks of Ansible tool:
- Ansible is OS-dependent tool that means code written in one OS will not work for other operating systems.
- It has a lack of user interface.
- Enterprise support is not good.
- This tool is not providing descriptive error messages.
🚀 What are the best alternatives available for Ansible?
Here are the best alternatives of Ansible:
- Puppet Enterprise
- Gitlab CI