What is Coursera?
Coursera website offers MOOCs courses from well-known universities. All Coursera courses contain pre-recorded video lectures that you can watch when it is convenient for you. The full form of MOOCs is Massive Open Online Courses.
What is Udemy?
Udemy online teaching platform helps you to create courses on numerous categories like development, business, design, marketing, etc. Courses which are available in Udemy are taught by expert instructions. Students can also develop new skills and achieving their goals by learning from the extensive library of various courses.
Coursera vs. Udemy (Key Differences)
|Price:||Coursera is less expensive. Certification cost is $49||Udemy is very expensive. Courses range from $50 to $200. But it is very easy to get deals that discount the rates to $12.99|
|Who can become an instructor?||Coursera courses can be taught by only educators, experts, and professional instructors.||In Udemy, almost anyone can become an instructor.|
|Community forum support||Coursera offers community forum support.||In Udemy, there is no community forum support.|
|Instructor’s assistance||The instructor’s assistance is only for Degree courses and MasterTrack.||The instructor’s assistance is limited, only from course instructors.|
|Learning path||There are a learning path and playlists through course specializations.||There is no learning paths or playlists in Udemy courses.|
Also read difference between Udemy and Udacity: Click here
Subjects and Topics Taught
You can find Udemy courses on almost anything you like to learn. These courses include:
- Health & fitness
- The arts
Coursera focuses more on academic subjects and courses. Some of the courses include:
- Data science
- Computer science
- Personal Development
- Information Technology
- Life sciences
- Math and Logic
- Arts and humanities
- Social sciences
Coursera Course Example.
Following are some specific examples that differentiate Coursera and Udemy in a better way:
|Cloud Computing||University of Illinois|
|Data Structures and Algorithms||California University, San Diego|
|Graphic Design||California Institute of the Arts|
|English for Career Development||University of Pennsylvania|
|Optical Engineering||University of Colorado Boulder|
|Epidemiology for Public Health||Imperial College London|
|The Science of Well-being||Yale University|
|Organizational Design and Management||HEC Paris|
|Buddhism and Modern Psychology||Princeton University|
Udemy Course Examples
- The Complete Digital Marketing Course
- The Complete SQL Bootcamp
- Illustrator CC 2022 Masterclass
- iPhone Photography | Take Professional Photos On Your iPhone
- Learn Linux Administration and Supercharge Your Career
- The Complete Copywriting Course : Write to Sell Like a Pro
- Learn 3D Modelling
- Mindfulness Practitioner Course
Who Are the Instructors?
- Some Udemy courses are taken by experts.
- There is lots of variation in course quality.
- You may also need research in order to ensure that you are signing for the reportable course.
- If you have to create a Udemy course, you simply need to create an account and watch orientation videos on basic course guidelines.
- Coursera works with universities and colleges.
- Their courses are thoroughly evaluated and taught by people who have experienced in teaching.
- If you choose the instructor randomly in Udemy or Coursera, then the Coursera will give more authority.
- In case if you are looking to learn the English language, you may not go for the qualification of any instructor.
- Instructors can easily provide the information that you are looking for.
Udemy vs. Coursera Time Commitment
- Udemy courses come with lifetime access to course material. Therefore, you can work it at your own speed.
- Some Udemy courses are more in-depth, whereas some only have a few hours of video lectures and reading materials.
- Coursera courses are like online classes that you can take from any formal institution university.
- Courses in Coursera start and finish on a specific date. It has a timeline that you have to follow. There is a discussion forum that helps you to speak with your professor.
Udemy and Coursera Alternatives
Following are some good Coursera and Udemy Alternatives
Codecademy is an online platform that provides free coding classes in different programming languages like Java, Python, Ruby, SQL, etc. This website makes code learning and designing web applications simple and easy.
edX is an online learning website that enables you to learn software, technology, business, and creative skills. Every course available in this website is broken down into chapters and videos. Once you subscribe to courses, you will easily get their access.
Udacity is a place where you can learn cutting edge skills. You can use it to create HD instructor video content. This platform enables you to customize the learning path according to your organization’s needs.
Which to Choose?
The next step is to compare the instructors, course outline, check few preview videos and determine the better course.
In general, Udemy is the go to choice if you want to quickly upskill yourself while you select Coursera if you want to embellish your resume with certificates from Top tier universities.
Other Useful Programming Resources you may like to explore
- Best FREE Udemy Courses (100% Off Coupon)
- 10+ Best FREE Online Google Courses With Certification
- 25+ Best Free Online Education Sites
- 200 Best FREE Coursera Courses with Certificates
- 160 Best Udacity Free Online Courses
- 65+ BEST Udemy Courses Online
- 30 Best FREE edX Courses with Certificates
- 35 Best LinkedIn Learning Courses with Certifications
- 30 BEST Online Coding Bootcamps
- 30 BEST Online Coding Courses to Learn Code for Free/Paid