Flask is an micro framework offering basic features of web app. This framework has no dependencies on external libraries. The framework offers extensions for form validation, object-relational mappers, open authentication systems, uploading mechanism, and several other tools.
In this tutorial, you will learn:
- What is Flask?
- What is Django?
- Features of Flask
- Features of Django
- Difference between flask and Django
- Advantages of Flask
- Advantages of Django
- Disadvantage of Flask
- Disadvantage of Django
- Which is Better?
Django is a web development framework for Python. This framework offers a standard method for fast and effective website development. It helps you in building and maintaining quality web applications. It enables you to make the development process smooth and time-saving.
It is a high-level web framework which allows performing rapid development. The primary goal of this web framework is to create complex database-driven websites.
Here, are important features of Flask
- Integrated support for unit testing.
- RESTful request dispatching.
- Uses a Ninja2 template engine.
- It is based on Werkzeug toolkit.
- Support for secure cookies (client-side sessions).
- Extensive documentation.
- Google app engine compatibility.
- APIs are nicely shaped and coherent
- Easily deployable in production
Here are important features of Django:
- Offers Model - View – Controller (MVC) Architecture.
- Predefined libraries for imaging, graphics, scientific calculations, etc.
- Supports for multiple databases.
- Cross-platform operating system.
- Site optimization across specialized servers
- Support for front-end tools like Ajax, jQuery, Pyjamas, etc.
- Supports multi-Language and multi-characters.
Flask and Django are the two most popular Python- frameworks. Here are some important differences between Flask and Django.
|Created in 2010||Created in 2005|
|Python web framework built for rapid development.||Python web framework built for easy and simple projects.|
|Flask is WSGI framework.||Django is a Full Stack Web Framework.|
|Flask provides support for API.||Django doesn't have any support for API.|
|Support Visual Debug.||No support for Visual Debug.|
|Flask allows you to use multiple types of databases.||Django doesn't offer multiple types of databases.|
|Flask has no default support for forms, but you can use WTForms to fill the gap.||Django comes Form with which can be integrate with the ORM and the admin site.|
|Flask does not offer dynamic HTML pages.||Django offers dynamic HTML pages.|
|The request based object is imported from the flask module, which is a global variable in Flask.||All views are set as an individual parameter in the Django.|
|Flask is much younger platform compared to Django.||Django is a very mature framework.|
|Flask offers a diversified working style.||Django offers a Monolithic working style.|
|It supports an extension which could be implemented in the framework.||Django has its own module library. So, it stores several prewritten codes.|
|The structure of the project layout for Flask web framework is random.||The structure of the project layout for the Django is conventional.|
|Flask web framework uses a Ninja2 template design.||Django web framework helps you to utilizes the View web templating system.|
|URL dispatcher of the Flask web framework is a RESTful request.||URL dispatcher of this Django framework is based on controller-regex.|
|Flask does not offer a built-in bootstrapping tool.||Django-admin enables developers to start building web applications without any external input.|
|Flask is a good choice if you want a lightweight codebase.||The best feature of Django is Robust documentation.|
|Flask framework is suitable for single application.||Django framework allows developers to divide a project into multiple page application.|
|Flask Web Framework doesn't offer support for third-party applications.||Django Web Framework supports a large number of third-party applications.|
|Git hub stars 48.8 K||Git hub stars 47.1 K|
|Best features of the flask is it is lightweight, open source, and offer minimal coding for developing an application.||The best features of Django are Rapid development, Open source, Great Community, Easy to learn.|
|Famous companies using Flask are: Netflix, Reddit, Lyft, MIT||Famous companies using Django are Instagram, Coursera, Udemy.|
Here, are pros/benefits of using Flask
- Higher compatibility with latest technologies
- Technical experimentation
- Easier to use for simple cases
- Codebase size is relatively smaller
- High scalability for simple applications,
- Easy to build a quick prototype
- Routing URL is easy
- Easy to develop and maintain applications
- Database integration is easy
- Small core and easily extensible
- Minimal yet powerful platform
- Lots of resources available online especially on GitHub
Here, are pros/benefits of Django framework:
- Django is easy to set up and run
- It provides an easy to use interface for various administrative activities.
- It offers multilingual websites by using its built-in internationalization system
- Django allows end-to-end application testing
- Allows you to document your API with an HTML output
- REST Framework has rich support for several authentication protocols
- It is used for rate-limiting API requests from a single user.
- Helps you to define patterns for the URLs in your application
- Offers built-in authentication system
- Cache framework comes with multiple cache mechanisms.
- High-level framework for rapid web development
- A complete stack of tools
- Data modelled with Python classes
Here, are cons/drawback of Flask
- Slower MVP development in most cases,
- Higher maintenance costs for more complex systems
- Complicated maintenance for larger implementations.
- Async may be a little problem
- Lack of database and ORM
- Setting up a large project requires some previous knowledge of the framework
- Offers limited support and smaller community compared to Django
Here, are cons/drawback of the Django framework
- It is a monolithic platform.
- High dependence on Django ORM. Broad Knowledge required.
- Fewer Design decisions and Components.
- Compatibility with the latest technologies
- A higher entry point for simple solutions
- The larger size of the code
- Too bloated for small projects
- Underpowered templating and ORM
- Templates failed silently
- Auto reload restarts the entire server
- High learning curve
- Documentations does not cover real-world scenarios
- Only allows you to handle a single request per time.
- Routing requires some knowledge of regular expressions
- Internal subcomponents coupling
- You can deploy components together, which can create confusion.
- You should prefers flask if you want the granular level of control while a Django developer relies on an extensive community to create unique website.
- Django combined with the REST Framework helps you to build powerful APIs, whereas Flask requires more work, so there are high chances to make a mistake.
- The best method is to build a few basic CRUD apps with both frameworks and decide which framework fits your project style better.
- Flask provides support for API while Django doesn't have any support for API.
- Flask does not support dynamic HTML pages and Django offers dynamic HTML pages.
- Flask is a Python web framework built for rapid development whereas Django is built for easy and simple projects.
- Flask offers a diversified working style while Django offers a Monolithic working style.
- URL dispatcher of the Flask web framework is a RESTful request on the other hand, URL dispatcher of Django framework is based on controller-regex.
- Flask is WSGI framework while Django is a Full Stack Web Framework.