Key Difference Between Web Developer and Software Developer
- Software developers are professionals who build software which runs across different types of computers, whereas a Web Developer is an IT professional who does coding for a website or a web application.
- Software developers need to create programs for stand-alone desktop and mobile platforms, while web developers take care of the framework, server-side functions, API integration, and business logic of any website.
- Software may or may not require to be hosted, but Web Application needs to be hosted via the internet or intranet.
- Software Developer applications are developed to be compatible across different OS/platforms, on the other hand, web developer applications are developed to be compatible across browsers.
Software developers are professional who builds software which runs across different types of computer. They write code from scratch. The application could be a desktop application like Photoshop, mobile apps like Instagram, web apps like facebook or twitter.
A web developer is an IT professional who does coding for a website or a web application. A website consists of 3 tiers. Based on team size and development model, a web developer may work on one or all three tiers.
A web developer working on the logic and data layer build the backbone of any website. They do not care about the look and feel of the page as they focus mainly to provide the clean code.
A web developer working as a full stack engineer will work on the front end as well.
Here are the main difference between Web Developers and Software Developers.
|Parameter||Software Developer||Web developer|
|Who||Develops any kind of software||Develops a website or web applications|
|Architecture||Applications developed could be 1) client or 2) client-server based||Applications developed are client-server based|
|Hosting||Developed software may or may not require to be hosted.||Web Application needs to get hosted
via internet or intranet.
|Platform||In software development, an application is developed to be compatible across different OS/platforms.||In web development, an application is developed to be compatible across browsers.|
|Salary||The average salary for a Software Engineer is $107,909 per year in the United States||The average salary for a Web Developer is $76,298 per year in the United States.|
Here, are important roles and responsibilities of the software development professional:
- Software engineers need to review the current working system of the client. In the case of a fresh system, the requirement documents are reviewed.
- An idea is presented for the improvement of a current system/requirements including cost proposal.
- Identify weaknesses in existing programs, operating systems or applications.
- A software developer needs to work closely with a business analyst, client employees, and designer.
- Software developers need to create programs for stand-alone desktop and mobile platforms.
- Prepare training manual which can be used by application users.
- Attend meetings with clients, computer programmers, and other staff
- Develop a well thought out plan to produce a program which meets the needs of a client
- Test the entire program to ensure it works according to a design created in requirement phase
Here, are important responsibilities executed by web developer:
- The job of a web developer begins by creating web design
- Responsible for developing the website and host on a web server.
- Creates the internal structure of the website to makes it functional
- Simplifies the process of transferring data between the browser and server
- Works closely with the web design team and give needed inputs to make the website functional
- Responsible for writing testable and efficient codes
- Web developers take care of the framework, server-side functions, API integration, and business logic of any website.
- Perform routine site maintenances when needed
- Web developers are responsible for how a specific website appears and works.
There are specific advantages, and disadvantages are associated with both professions.
Website developer earns comparable salaries as their work is always in demand. As a result, finding the job of a web developer is undoubtedly easier. Moreover, they could operate from a remote location, which could even be their home. You could become a web engineer after attending an online coding course or coding boot camp.
Software engineers are better trained as they have knowledge of computer science. They can secure jobs in big firms or government offices.
If you want to learn about Web Design and Development, here’s a free tutorial you’ll want to check out: Web Design and Development Tutorial