There are some strong contenders to Selenium available in the market. Following is a curated list of highly vetted Selenium alternatives.
Best Selenium Alternatives & Competitors
testRigor is the best all-around codeless next-gen Selenium alternative for end-to-end UI testing.
- Create tests in plain English up to 15x faster than with Selenium. Forget about XPaths and other locators
- Cross-platform and cross-browser tests for Web, Mobile, and API
- Ultra-stable tests (200x more stable than Selenium), some companies even use them for monitoring
- Seamlessly integrate with CI/CD, issue tracking, and test case tracking tools
- Add as many parallelizations as you need allowing for fast test run results
- SOC 2 Type 2 compliant – meaning your data is in the safe hands
Get more out of Selenium by taking advantage of Eggplant’s best-in-class test automation to verify the code and validate the user experience.
- Use a combination of image and text recognition and web objects to reduce test breakages and maintenance.
- Test web, mobile, and desktop applications without additional plugins or tools.
- Comprehensive analytics reporting.
- Intuitive SenseTalk bindings for Selenium WebDriver to make scripting capabilities easy to adopt.
- Execute tests across multiple platforms and technologies, including APIs, UIs, robots, IoT devices, and more within the same script or scriptless model.
Rapise is a powerful test automation platform for scriptless testing of web, mobile & desktop apps as well as APIs.
- Record and playback in any browser, and live-validation during recording,
- Create and refine tests using drag and drop through its object-based approach. Objects update synchronously thanks to Rapise’s powerful maintenance features and self-healing AI-driven locators.
- Edit recorded tests using its easy-to-use visual, keyword-driven framework – RVL.
- Rapise has built-in support for data-driven testing and integrates with third-party CI/CD/ALM solutions and complex applications (MS Dynamics, Salesforce.com, SAP).
Virtuoso leverages AI to automate your end-2-end tests without code, even on the most dynamic apps. Whether it is interacting with iFrames or storing dynamic data, Virtuoso is a no-code test automation platform that actually works. Build functional tests using Natural Language Programming (plain English like you would write a manual test script), integrated API testing, and Visual Regression tests to get end-2-end test coverage. Virtuoso’s Intelligent Object Identification uses AI to find xPaths and selectors from simple hints and is self-maintaining.
- Author tests in Natural Language from wireframes or requirements before your application is built
- Obliterate test maintenance with AI-driven self-healing capabilities
- Understand the root cause of test failures
- Execute on any device, browser, or OS at scale in the cloud
- Anyone can create API calls and store them for use in functional tests
- Snapshot testing to find every Visual Regression with baselines
ZAPTEST is a Software Automation solution for any organization that uses software for operations or development, who is looking to automate it’s back-office operations or software testing processes and to develop a seamless and revolving automation framework.
- Functional and Performance Test Automation
- RPA (Robotic Process Automation)
- Seamless Test+RPA Software Automation
- Cross-Platform (Parallel) Execution
- DevOps (Mock-ups) Automation
- API Testing
Testim is the leading AI-powered test automation platform solving the two biggest challenges in testing—slow authoring and unstable tests. Testim’s low-code platform is trusted by companies worldwide, including Microsoft, Salesforce, Devada, and many more.
- Create self-healing, auto-improving end-to-end tests
- Quickly expand test coverage and keep releases on track.
- Unparalleled flexibility through coded steps that can run inside or outside the browser.
- Cross-browser tests run in parallel on Testim’s or 3rd party grids.
- Testim’s TestOps capabilities help teams manage and efficiently scale their automation initiatives with control and insights.
Subject7 is a cloud-based, “true codeless” test automation solution that unifies all testing in a single platform and empowers anyone to become an automation expert. Our easy-to-use software leverages open-source standards while removing technical complexities, helping teams accelerate test automation codelessly and at scale.
- Integrates easily with DevOps/Agile tooling using native plugins, in-app integrations, and open APIs.
- High-scale parallel execution in the cloud or on-prem with enterprise-grade security.
- Flexible reporting of defects, with video capture of results.
- Simple, non-metered pricing, delivering financial predictability
- Leverages and improves open-source, including Selenium, Appium, SikuliX, JMeter, ZAP, and others.
- SOC2 Type2 compliant
Cucumber is an open source BDD (Behavior Driven Development) testing tool.
- Due to use of BDD, Business and IT teams can understand the tests.
- Cucumber merges specification and test documentation into one cohesive whole
- Updated continuously and with large community support.
9) UFT (Unified Functional Test)
UFT is also known as a QTP(Quick Test Professional) is the most robust commercial test automation tool. Initially developed by Mercury Interactive, it was later acquired by HPE and is now hands of MicroFocus. It is one of the best selenium alternatives useful for functional as well as regression testing.
- UFT supports not only web but all kinds of development environments like SAP, Oracle, Seibel, etc.
- It is one of the best replacement for selenium tool that supports cross-browser and multi-platform testing,
- Allows distributing tests across multiple machines.
- Image-based Object recognition is the best in Industry.
- Visual Test Script Design that helps in quicker test modification and upgrades.
- QTP/UFT uses VBScript language which is easy to use compared to other Test Scripting Languages.
iMacros is a record and playback tool for web testing. iMacros can also automate repetitious work. This testing tool is used for
- Browser Automation
- Web testing
- Data Extraction
- Free add-on for Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome. Can automate almost all Web tasks.
- This selenium replacement tool allows functional, performance, and regression testing of web applications
- iMacros allows to upload data from a spreadsheet to a website or populate an Excel sheet with data directly from the website.
- Automate functional, performance, and regression testing for website technology including Java, Flex, Ajax or Silverlight applets.
Cypress is an open source test automation solution for web environments. This tool is closely aligned with current development practices when compared with Selenium.
- Test status menu feature allows seeing how many tests passed or failed
- Cypress automatically waits for commands and assertions before moving on
- It is one of the best alternatives to selenium which allows checking responsive sites with viewport sizing.
- It takes snapshots of a test run. For headless execution, it takes video of an entire test run.
- Cypress automatically reloads every change made in the tests
- It is python selenium alternative which has Command Log and the app preview that shows the precise automation actions on the web app during test execution.
Serenity BDD is a selenium alternative for automated acceptance and regression tests. It is one of the best selenium alternatives tool that generates test reports that document and describe functional test coverage.
- It is one of the best replacement for selenium which provides comments/narrative and screenshots for each test step.
- Aggregate vies of test results by Requirements or Release.
- This selenium replacement tool helps you write cleaner and more maintainable automation code.
- Map your automated tests back to your requirements
- Provides Test Coverage.
13) IBM Ration Functional Tester
IBM Rational Functional Tester is an automated functional and regression testing tool. It is one of the best selenium alternatives software which offers automated testing features for functional, regression, GUI and data-driven testing. It supports a range of applications like Java, Siebel, SAP, Net, PowerBuilder, Ajax, etc.
- Visual editing through screenshots
- Rational Functional Tester enables your development teams to create associated keyword scripts which allow for easy re-use, improving efficiency.
- It makes it easier to code test scripts in Java with Eclipse.
- This functional testing tool automates code completion and offers advanced debugging options
- Easy Integration with other third-party software
14) Galen framework
Galen framework was initially introduced for the testing layout of web-applications in a real browser. Today it has become a fully functional testing framework. This automation test tool can be integrated with Selenium for visual and layout testing of web applications.
- HTML Based Error reporting with screenshots
- Easy to write/read syntax
- It is one of the best alternatives to selenium which offers multiple browsers support
- Using Galen specs language, you can describe any complex layout including different screen sizes or browsers.
- Galen Framework runs well in Selenium Grid. This allows to set up tests to run in a cloud-like Sauce Labs or BrowserStack
- Image Comparison feature.
SikuliX automates anything seen on the screen in Windows, Mac or Linux/Unix Operating System. It is one of the best selenium competitors that uses image recognition powered by OpenCV to identify and control GUI components. SikuliX workflows are based on searching images and acting on GUI elements with mouse and keyboard.
- SikuliX can be used to automate repetitive tasks.
- It can be used to automate a task or desktop/web application for daily use.
- To test application or web that is under development.
RedwoodHQ is an open source test automation framework. It is installed on a single server, and multiple people can use from the web interface. It is one of the best selenium alternatives which runs with any HTML5 compatible browser without any installation.
- It allows observing test execution in real time with detailed results, clickable stack trace exceptions, and screenshots
- It allows executing automated test cases in parallel on multiple machines
- Import existing TestNG/JUnit test cases and develop new ones
- Compatible with tools like Jenkins or TeamCity to integrate with the continuous integration process
Watir is an open source Ruby library for automating the test. It is one of the selenium competitors which supports functional and regression web tests.
- It supports web app irrespective of what it is developed in.
- It supports multiple browsers on different platforms
- Watir is a family of Ruby libraries, but it supports all other technologies
- It uses Ruby, a full-featured modern scripting language, rather than a proprietary vendor script
18) Telerik Test Studio
- Can perform API as well as Load Testing
- Robust Object Repository feature.
- Supports Continuous Integration.
- Native Support for the Telerik UI Controls
- Testing HTML Popups and Browser Dialogs
Screenster is a cloud-based UI testing platform. It is used for visual regression testing of web applications and websites. It is one of the best selenium webdriver alternatives that captures a screenshot of each step and stores it as a baseline.
- Low-code solutions that enable you to automate UI tests without hand-coding.
- Recording tests in the easiest and fastest way to automate visual testing
- Screenster can run tests as part of CI. So, if a difference is detected between the baseline and a regression run, the test is marked as failed.
- Screenster offers great features like auto-correcting smart selectors and automatic timeout management.
⚡ Which factors should you consider while selecting Selenium Alternatives?
You should consider the following factors before selecting the Alternatives to Selenium.
- Desired Platform Support: Web, Desktop, Citrix, SAP, etc.
- License cost, if applicable.
- In the case of an outsourcing project, you need to factor customer/Client Preference of the replacement for selenium.
- The cost involved in training employees on the tool.
- Hardware/Software requirements of the Selenium competitors tool
- Support and Update policy of the automation tool vendor.
✅ Which are the Best Selenium Alternatives?
Here are some of the Best Selenium Alternatives:
✅ How to select the best Selenium Alternatives test automation tool?
Here, is a simple process to determine the best Selenium Alternative tool for your project needs
- Identify the tests that need to be automated.
- Research and analyze the automation tools that meet your automation needs and budget.
- Based on the requirements, shortlist the two most suitable tools.
- Do a pilot for two best tools and select the better one.
- Discuss the chosen automation tools with other stakeholders, explain the choice, and get their approval.
- Proceed to test automation.
There is no best tool in the market. You need to find the best tool for your test automation project goals.
❗ Why choosing the correct Selenium Alternative automation tool is important?
There are many Selenium Alternatives Automation Testing Tools available. Some of them are free while some are expensive. Some of these automation tools were created long ago, while some have just made it into the market. Each tool is unique and possesses specific characteristics.
A broad range of test automation tools makes it difficult to select the best one for a project, and often tester’s end up with tools that do not conform to project requirements. Hence, choosing the right tool for your project is very important.