Selenium is an open-source automated testing tool. It can perform functional, regression, load testing on web applications across different browsers and platforms. Selenium is one of the finest tools, but it does have some drawbacks.
There are some strong contenders to Selenium available in the market. Following is a curated list of highly vetted Selenium alternatives.
TestCraft is a codeless Selenium test automation platform. The revolutionary AI technology and unique visual modeling allows for faster test creation and execution while eliminating test maintenance overhead. Testers create fully automated test scenarios without coding. Customers find bugs faster, release more frequently, integrate with CI/CD and improve overall quality of their digital products.
- No programming skills required. Leverage manual testers’ business knowledge and allow them to create automated test scenarios
- Substantially reduce maintenance costs. Scripts are automatically adjusted to change due to our AI mechanism. Major changes are adapted with a few clicks
- Selenium based. Quickly integrate and leverage modules developed by the community
- Provides immediate time to value. Nothing to install (SaaS). Easy to master
Over 14,000 users worldwide accelerate testing with Ranorex Studio, an all-in-one tool for cross-platform test automation. Ranorex is easy for beginners with a codeless click-and-go interface, but powerful for automation experts with a full IDE.
- Robust object identification for reliable tests and reduced maintenance
- Shareable object repository and reusable code modules
- Cross-browser testing
- Automates challenging interfaces like SAP, ERP, Delphi and legacy applications
- Run tests in parallel or distribute on a Selenium Grid
- Built-in reporting
Ranorex integrates with solutions for BDD, CI/CD, source control, test management, defect-tracking, and more for a complete test automation toolchain
Rapise - Scriptless Test Automation of Web, Mobile & Desktop Apps. Whether it’s the web, mobile, desktop applications, APIs (REST and SOAP) Rapise tests it all!.
- Record once, playback in any browser, and live-validate during recording,
- Create and refine tests using drag and drop through its object-based approach. Objects update synchronously thanks to Rapise's powerful maintenance features and self-healing ai-driven locators.
- Edit recorded tests using its easy-to-use visual, keyword-driven framework - rvl.
- Rapise has built-in support for data-driven testing and integrates with third-party CI/CD/ALM solutions and complex applications (MS Dynamics, Salesforce.com, SAP).
TestProject is the first free tool to make Selenium testing effortless. With a cloud based interface built on top of Selenium, you can easily start testing in a matter of no time. Developers will find TestProject's SDK familiar and compatible with existing Selenium code, while non-technical testers will love TestProject's codeless recorder. Think twice before spending precious time building and maintaining a Selenium framework - TestProject is available now completely for FREE!
- No complex set up or framework maintenance
- 100% built on Selenium and compatible with existing code
- Out-of-the-box dashboards and reports
- Simple integration to Jenkins, BrowserStack, Sauce Labs, and more
Squish is the GUI Test Automation tool of choice for more than 3000 companies worldwide to automate the functional regression tests and system tests of their graphical user interface (GUIs) and Human Machine Interfaces (HMIs). The Squish GUI testing tool, a 100% cross-platform tool, features
- In-depth support for all major GUI technologies
- Full support for all desktop, mobile, web and embedded platforms
- Test script recording
- Powerful and reliable object identification and verifications (object-based and image based)
- No dependency on screenshots or visual appearance
- Powerful integrated development environment (IDE)
- A wide range of popular script languages for test scripting
- Full support for Behavior Driven Development (BDD)
- Full control via command line tools
- Integrations with Test Management and CI-Systems
Parasoft Selenic leverages AI to address your problems with Selenium so you don’t have to get rid of Selenium. It works directly with your existing Selenium tests, so you’re not locked into a proprietary platform.
- Self-healing at runtime and AI-driven recommendations post-execution. You can efficiently maintain existing Selenium scripts, reducing the time spent maintaining, repairing, and fixing broken tests.
- Create Selenium test suites with the Page Object Model. Teams can rapidly build a maintainable testing practice from the start.
- Optimize test execution with Test Impact Analysis. Cross-correlating test execution with underlying code changes gives you quicker feedback from your CI/CD pipeline.
Subject7 is an automation platform providing end-to-end test automation capabilities through a series of commands. These commands are available via an easy-to-use web interface. Mimicking user actions, each command hides the complexities of industry-standard packages such as Selenium, Appium, SikuliX, JMeter, ZAP, and others.
- Easy to use web interface for non-coders
- Integrates with JIRA, Jenkins, and REST capable DevOps pipeline
- Zero setup and scales executions leveraging AWS, Azure, and Google clouds
- Email notifications, video recordings, team collaboration, and more
- Using open source standards such as Selenium and Appium to drive web and mobile
Cypress is an open source test automation solution for web environments. This tool is closely aligned with current development practices when compared with Selenium.
- Test status menu feature allows seeing how many tests passed or failed
- Cypress automatically waits for commands and assertions before moving on
- Allows checking responsive sites with viewport sizing.
- It takes snapshots of a test run. For headless execution, it takes video of an entire test run.
- Cypress automatically reloads every change made in the tests
- Command Log and the app preview shows the precise automation actions on the web app during test execution.
iMacros is a record and playback tool for web testing. iMacros can also automate repetitious work. This testing tool is used for
- Browser Automation
- Web testing
- Data Extraction
- Free add-on for Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome. Can automate almost all Web tasks.
- Allows functional, performance, and regression testing of web applications
- iMacros allows to upload data from a spreadsheet to a website or populate an Excel sheet with data directly from the website.
- Automate functional, performance, and regression testing for website technology including Java, Flex, Ajax or Silverlight applets.
Cucumber is an open source BDD (Behavior Driven Development) testing tool.
- Due to use of BDD, Business and IT teams can understand the tests.
- Cucumber merges specification and test documentation into one cohesive whole
- Updated continuously and with large community support.
11) UFT (Unified Functional Test)
UFT is also known as a QTP(Quick Test Professional) is the most robust commercial test automation tool. Initially developed by Mercury Interactive, it was later acquired by HPE and is now hands of MicroFocus. It is useful for functional as well as regression testing.
- UFT supports not only web but all kinds of development environments like SAP, Oracle, Seibel, etc.
- The tool supports cross-browser and multi-platform testing,
- Allows distributing tests across multiple machines.
- Image-based Object recognition is the best in Industry.
- Visual Test Script Design that helps in quicker test modification and upgrades.
- QTP/UFT uses VBScript language which is easy to use compared to other Test Scripting Languages.
Serenity BDD is a selenium alternative for automated acceptance and regression tests. This tool generates test reports that document and describe functional test coverage.
- Comments/narrative and screenshots for each test step.
- Aggregate vies of test results by Requirements or Release.
- Helps you write cleaner and more maintainable automation code.
- Map your automated tests back to your requirements
- Provides Test Coverage.
13) IBM Ration Functional Tester
IBM Rational Functional Tester is an automated functional and regression testing tool. This software offers automated testing features for functional, regression, GUI and data-driven testing. It supports a range of applications like Java, Siebel, SAP, Net, PowerBuilder, Ajax, etc.
- Visual editing through screenshots
- Rational Functional Tester enables your development teams to create associated keyword scripts which allow for easy re-use, improving efficiency.
- It makes it easier to code test scripts in Java with Eclipse.
- This functional testing tool automates code completion and offers advanced debugging options
- Easy Integration with other third-party software
14) Galen framework
Galen framework was initially introduced for the testing layout of web-applications in a real browser. Today it has become a fully functional testing framework. This automation test tool can be integrated with Selenium for visual and layout testing of web applications.
- HTML Based Error reporting with screenshots
- Easy to write/read syntax
- It offers multiple browsers support
- Using Galen specs language, you can describe any complex layout including different screen sizes or browsers.
- Galen Framework runs well in Selenium Grid. This allows to set up tests to run in a cloud-like Sauce Labs or BrowserStack
- Image Comparison feature.
SikuliX automates anything seen on the screen in Windows, Mac or Linux/Unix Operating System. It uses image recognition powered by OpenCV to identify and control GUI components. SikuliX workflows are based on searching images and acting on GUI elements with mouse and keyboard.
- SikuliX can be used to automate repetitive tasks.
- It can be used to automate a task or desktop/web application for daily use.
- To test application or web that is under development.
RedwoodHQ is an open source test automation framework. It is installed on a single server, and multiple people can use from the web interface. It runs with any HTML5 compatible browser without any installation.
- It allows observing test execution in real time with detailed results, clickable stack trace exceptions, and screenshots
- It allows executing automated test cases in parallel on multiple machines
- Import existing TestNG/JUnit test cases and develop new ones
- Compatible with tools like Jenkins or TeamCity to integrate with the continuous integration process
Watir is an open source Ruby library for automating the test. It supports functional and regression web tests.
- It supports web app irrespective of what it is developed in.
- It supports multiple browsers on different platforms
- Watir is a family of Ruby libraries, but it supports all other technologies
- It uses Ruby, a full-featured modern scripting language, rather than a proprietary vendor script
18) Telerik Test Studio
- Can perform API as well as Load Testing
- Robust Object Repository feature.
- Supports Continuous Integration.
- Native Support for the Telerik UI Controls
- Testing HTML Popups and Browser Dialogs
Screenster is a cloud-based UI testing platform. It is used for visual regression testing of web applications and websites. It captures a screenshot of each step and stores it as a baseline.
- Low-code solutions that enable you to automate UI tests without hand-coding.
- Recording tests in the easiest and fastest way to automate visual testing
- Screenster can run tests as part of CI. So, if a difference is detected between the baseline and a regression run, the test is marked as failed.
- Screenster offers great features like auto-correcting smart selectors and automatic timeout management.