In this tutorial, we are going to compare to very popular automation tools -Selenium and QTP. Selenium and UFT/QTP have relative advantages over each other. You should remember that there is no best tool as such. You need to select the best tool for your requirement/project.
- Selenium is an open-source testing tool and it doesn’t require a license whereas HP UFT is a commercial tool by Micro Focus and hence it requires a license.
- Selenium supports JAVA, .NET, Ruby, Perl, PHP, and many other programming languages whereas HP UFT only supports VB script.
- Selenium is a low-level tool with less functionality while HP UFT is more user-friendly and scripts are developed quickly.
- Selenium offers web automation testing at less cost whereas, in HP UFT, automation testing is expensive.
- Selenium is used for web applications automation but HP UFT is used for any client-server applications.
|HP UFT (QTP)||Selenium|
|It is commercial tool by Micro Focus and hence it requires a license and is expensive||Its an open source testing tool hence it does not require license and is free|
|It is used for testing client-server applications. It can test web- based as well as desktop applications||Using Selenium only web applications can be automated|
|QTP tests can only be developed in QTP IDE||Selenium has the option of using wide range of IDEs like Visual Studio, Eclipse, Netbeans|
|HP UFT only supports VB script||Selenium supports JAVA, .NET, Ruby, Perl, PHP, and many other programming languages|
|HP UFT comes with built in object repository. Object repository development and maintenance is quite easy in HP ALM||Selenium dose not have such built in object repository, but object can be managed by using UI element user extension|
|HP UFT integrates with test management tool like HP Quality Center||There is no such tool that integrates with Selenium|
|All types of dialog box is supported by it||It supports dialog box partially|
|It supports different environments like SAP, Oracle, .NET but user need to purchase add-on license for them||It supports addition of plug-ins to include features that are not provided by core Selenium|
|Automation testing is expensive due to licensing cost||Web automation testing with Selenium incurs less cost|
|HP QTP offers very good technical support||It has no official support, since it is an open source|
|HP QTP supports only VBScript . Hence Object Oriented Approach to Test Automation becomes challenging||Selenium supports mature Object Oriented Language like Java|
|HP QTP is more user friendly and scripts are developed quickly.||It is a low level tool with less functionality. Script requires more time to develop and maintain|
|Backward compatibility is powerful. Latest version of HP ALM supports code that was developed 5 years back||With new Selenium release the API changes. So Test Scripts need to be updated|