What are Testing Tools?
Testing Tools in software testing can be defined as products that support various test activities starting from planning, requirement gathering, build creation, test execution, defect logging and test analysis. These testing tools are mainly used for testing software firmness, thoroughness, and other performance parameters.
There are tons of software testing tools available in the market, and with the plethora of choices it becomes difficult to zero in on the best testing tools for your project. The following list categorizes, ranks and grades the different software testing tools in the market. For each tool – important features, USP and download links are mentioned.
👍 Top Software Testing Tools (Recommended by QAs)
These tools help organize the end to end test Cycle
TestRail is your source for scalable, customizable, web-based test case management. Set up in just minutes with our cloud-based/SaaS solution, or install on TestRail your own server.
- Efficiently manage manual and automated test cases, plans, and runs.
- Get real-time insights into testing progress with informative dashboards, metrics, and activity reports.
- Boost efficiency with milestones, personal to-do lists, and email notifications.
- Document test cases with screenshots and expected results. Use the flexible built-in templates or create your own custom templates.
- Integrate with tools in your CI/CD/DevOps pipeline including JIRA, Bugzilla, Jenkins, TFS and more.
- Enterprise edition designed for large teams & mission-critical projects.
- Support for Docker containers.
Xray is the #1 Manual & Automated Test Management App for QA. It’s a full-featured tool that lives inside and seamlessly integrates with Jira. Its aim is to help companies improve the quality of their products through effective and efficient testing.
- Traceability between requirements, tests, defects, executions
- Define reusable preconditions and associate to tests
- Organize tests in folders and test sets
- Test plans for tracking progress
- Test environments
- BDD – Write Cucumber scenarios in Jira
- Integrates with test automation frameworks (Selenium, JUnit, Nunit, Robot, …)
- Built-in REST API
- CI integrations (Bamboo, Jenkins)
- Built-in reports
Zephyr Enterprise is more than a test management solution; we are a test management partner ready to help you achieve all your testing activities from a single tool.
From creating test cases and plans, to defining user requirements and generating reports, Zephyr Enterprise arms you with the insights, flexibility, and visibility necessary to deliver software faster — with fewer bugs!
- Premium Enterprise Support
- Bi-directional Jira Integration
- Enterprise-grade test planning and auditing
- Ready-to-use reports and customizable dashboards
- End-to-end traceability
- Flexible support for third-party automation frameworks
- Legacy ALM migration path and transition plan
Testpad is a simpler and more accessible manual test tool that prioritises pragmatism over process. Instead of managing cases one at a time, it uses checklist-inspired test plans that can be adapted to a wide range of styles including Exploratory testing, the manual side of Agile, syntax highlighted BDD, and even traditional test case management.
- Guest testers, invited by email, who don’t need accounts
- Simple enough to use by non-testers; get everyone to help at release time
- Drag’n’drop organisation of test plans
- Add new tests during testing, as you think of new ideas
- Lightweight integration with issue trackers, including JIRA
Testmo is the #1 unified test management tool for modern teams. All your test cases, exploratory testing and test automation in one powerful platform. Lightning-fast, powerful UI & rich metrics. Full integration with Jira, GitHub, GitLab & more.
- Unified testing to track your entire QA in one tool
- Rich test cases, exploratory test sessions & test automation
- Full integration with Jira, GitHub, GitLab and many more
- Integrates with any test automation tool, CI pipeline & DevOps tool
- Best-in-class reporting, metrics and real-time charts
- Fully customizable with fields, workflows & test assignments
- Fast, scalable & enterprise-ready for teams of all sizes
SpiraTest is a state-of-the-art Test Management solution for teams big and small. Embracing fully the agile way of working, Spiratest helps you manage requirements, plans, tests, bugs, tasks, and code in a single environment. SpiraTest works out-of-the-box with minimal configuration and conforms to your needs, methodology, workflows, and toolchain.
- Effortlessly generate tests from requirements, and bugs from tests
- Easily manage test cases, sets, and runs in manual and exploratory testing
- Create tests based on parameters with seamless end-to-end traceability throughout
- Manage your processes and teams through executive dashboards that display a top-down view of your projects, with visualization, and business analytics at your fingertips
- Comes as an on-premise and saas version.
- Integrates with over 60 apps
PractiTest is an end-to-end test management tool. A common meeting ground for all QA stakeholders, it enables full visibility into the testing process and a deeper broader understanding of testing results.
- A vast array of third-party integrations with common bug trackers, automation tools, and robust API for the rest.
- Fully customizable & flexible for the ever-changing needs of QA teams: customize fields, views, permissions, issue workflows and more
- Reuse tests and correlate results across different releases and products.
- Unique hierarchical filter trees – organize everything and find anything quickly.
- Never work twice – with anti-bug duplicates, permutations, step parameters and call to test
- Visualize data with advanced dashboards and reports
- Fast professional and methodological support
Automated Testing Tools
8) Avo Assure
Avo Assure is a 100% no-code automation testing tool that enables you to test end-to-end business processes with a few clicks of the buttons. Being heterogeneous, it makes testing seamless across web, desktop, mobile, ERP applications, Mainframes, associated emulators, and more.
- Create and execute test cases without writing code
- Achieve E2E test automation and over 90% coverage
- Enable accessibility testing
- Define test plans and design test cases through the Mindmaps feature
- Integrate with tools like Jira, Jenkins, ALM, QTest, Salesforce, Sauce Labs, TFS, etc.
- Execute multiple scenarios through smart scheduling
- Easily interpret the intuitive reports
testRigor is Generative AI-based test automation tool for Web, Mobile, API and Native Desktop applications. It is a “human emulator” and executes plain-English instructions from end-user’s perspective, allowing non-engineers to quickly build and maintain tests.
- testRigor can build actual end-to-end tests based on plain-English description and system under test using Generative AI
- All possible types of testing are built-in, including web, mobile, API, native desktop, email, SMS, 2FA with authenticator apps, Captcha resolution, etc.
- Native integration with Jira, Azure DevOps, Pivotal Tracker and a number of other issue trackers
- Native integration with TestRail, XRay, Zephyr, and many other test case management systems
- Native integration with Jenkins, Github Actions, Gitlab, Azure DevOps, CircleCI, and ALL of the other CI/CD systems on the market
Selenium is one of the most popular software testing tools. It specifically designed to support Automation Testing of functional aspects of web based applications, wide range of platforms and browsers.
- It is one of the best qa tools which offers the support for parallel test execution that reduce the time taken in executing parallel tests.
- Selenium needs very lesser resources when compared to other manual testing tools.
- Test cases prepared using this testing tool can be executed on any OS
Download Link: https://www.selenium.dev/downloads/
Quick Test Professional (QTP) now called as Micro Focus UFT (Unified Functional Testing) One is an automated functional GUI testing tool which allows the automation of user actions on a web or client based computer application. It is widely used for functional regression test automation. It is one of the manual testing tools which uses a scripting language to manipulate the objects and controls of the application under test.
- QTP is one of the software testing tools that allows beginner testers to learn this tool in the few minutes.
- The tool is very easy to understand. It presents a test case in a simple workflow to the tester.
- The tool allows complete validation of applications through a full complement of checkpoints
Download Link: https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/products/uft-one/overview
Waitr is an open-source cross-platform web application testing tool. It is most reliable and flexible automation tool of Ruby libraries for web browsers automation. This cross browser testing tool interacts with a browser just like human being so it clicks links, filling out forms and validating text.
- It is one of the best testing tools which is free, so there is no costs to use the tool.
- This automated testing tool is supported by very active and growing community.
- It is one of the qa tools which supports multiple browsers on different platforms.
- It is very powerful and lightweight tool.
Download Link: http://watir.com/guides/downloads/
Testim is a modern day automated testing tool. It uses machine learning to speed the authoring, execution, and maintenance of automated tests. The tester can be analysis any test case in few minutes and execute them on multiple web and mobile platforms.
- It is one of the qa testing tools that can easily add annotations to find out what’s wrong in the system.
- Quickly view and share easy-to-understand annotated screenshots using the bug tracker.
- Developers just need to click the automated bug test to reproduce in the browser automatically.
Download link: https://www.testim.io/
Applitools is an automated testing tool which automatically validates the look and feels and user experience of the apps and sites. It is designed is such a way that it easily integrates with the existing tests instead of requiring to create a new test.
- It is one of the qa tools which allows cross browser test in various devices
- Provide Interactive visual test reports to the user
- Robust user access management
- It is available as a cloud service or on premise
Download Link: https://auth.applitools.com/users/register
TestComplete is an automated test management tool which helps to increase efficiency and reduce the cost of the testing process. It’s very easy-to-use interface helps QA teams to implement an automation solution in very less amount of time.
- It is one of the qa tools that supports multiple scripting languages
- Allows to record robust automated tests without scripting knowledge
- It offers data-driven testing
- Allows user to create Customize plugins and extensions
Download Link: https://support.smartbear.com/downloads/testcomplete/
This category of tool help in Cross Browser Testing of your site across Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge, Safari, and other browsers.
This is one of the best browser compatibility testing software which allows testing website and its elements in multiple browsers. This tool also used to test website and all web pages for scripting and layout errors.
- Browsera can quickly detect cross-browser layout problems automatically by comparing each browser’s output.
- With its site crawling feature, it’s easy to test all the web pages of the single site.
Download Link: http://www.browsera.com/web_sites
17) CrossBrowser Testing
Cross-browser testing helps to ensure that website or web application functions correctly in various web browsers. With the help of this tool, it is possible to run parallel automated tests, compare screenshots, and remotely debug real desktop and mobile browsers.
- It is one of the qa testing tools that can run Numerous Tests on Multiple Devices At One Time
- Easily run automated tests against real iOS, Androids, & other desktop browsers
- It allows running testing frameworks like WebDriver.IO, and Nightwatch for superior quality and speed
Download link: https://crossbrowsertesting.com/freetrial
Sauce Labs is a Selenium cloud-based solution that supports automated cross-browser testing. It can perform testing in any OS and platform and browser combination.
- It is possible to test the web and mobile apps with the highest number of platforms, browsers, and OS combinations.
- The tool ensures web applications work efficiently with all the latest Android and iOS mobile devices.
Browsershots is a cross-browser testing tool allows testing website which is running on Windows, MacOS, Android or iOS. It provides screenshots of a website across 200+ browsers. This tool provides screenshots of websites in a testing environment which is helpful for finding all the major HTML or CSS faults.
- Browsershots is a completely free tool, and it provides support for 200 different browser versions to capture screenshots
- Browsers supported range from Arora, Chrome, Dillo, Firefox, Iceweasel, Konqueror, Links, SeaMonkey, and Safari.
Download link: http://browsershots.org/
Load Testing tools help performance/load test a site or application.
WebLOAD is an excellent testing tool which offers many powerful scripting capabilities, that is helpful for testing complex scenarios. The tool supports hundreds of technologies from Selenium to mobile, enterprise application to web protocols. It is possible to generate load both in the cloud and on-premise using this tool.
- Building load test scenarios more easily and efficiently with WebLOAD
- It helps you identify performance bottlenecks in your system with more than 80 reports types and graphs.
- Performance Testing can run from the cloud by generating load from Amazon EC2.
Download Link: http://www.radview.com/webload-download/
It is a load testing tool for Windows and Linux, which allows testing the web application efficiently. It helpful testing tool to determining the performance and result of the web application under heavy load.
- It offers supports for various types of Apps
- This testing tool can work on several enterprise environments.
- All the Vusers can be controlled with just a single dashboard.
- The LoadRunner provide support for several types of protocols.
- The monitoring and analysis is very user-friendly and easy to grasp.
Wapt is a load, and stress testing tool works for all Windows. It provides an easy and cost-effective way to test all types of websites. It works with the same efficiency on secure HTTPS websites, dynamic content and RIA applications under data-driven mode. This testing tool also provides supports for RIA applications in the data-driven mode.
- Allows to include different types of users in a single test
- Provide most flexible load level definitions
- The tool uses a large number of advanced techniques to simulate real load conditions.
- WAPT supports testing of websites and applications secured by SSL
Download Link: https://www.loadtestingtool.com/download.shtml
23) Silk Performer
Silk Performer is the cost-effective load testing tool to meet all the critical applications, performance expectations, and service-level requirements. It also supports cloud integration which means that it is easy to simulate massive loads without a need to invest in hardware setup.
- Quickly find the root cause of performance issues with in-depth analysis
- It can be used anywhere with unlimited scalability from the Cloud
- Authenticate real time user experience by transaction monitoring and performance tracking
Apache JMeter is one of the open source testing tools for load testing. It is a Java desktop application, designed to load test functional behavior and measure performance of websites. The tool was developed for the purpose of load testing web applications, but it is now expanded to other test functions.
- JMeter allows performing load and performance test for various server types.
- This load testing tool store its test plans in XML format which allows users to generate the test plan using a text editor.
- It is one of the manual testing tools that can be also used to perform automated and functional testing of the applications.
Download link: http://jmeter.apache.org/download_jmeter.cgi
LoadFocus is the best cloud testing tool for Load Testing and Performance Testing. It also offers cloud testing services like Website Speed Testing, Mobile Applications, APIs testing, and Mobile Emulation on different types of Mobile Devices.
- Cloud Load Test Website and RESTful APIs
- Load tests can run in the cloud or on secure servers
- Allows number of repeats to inspect application behavior
- It offers Website Speed Testing and Insight Analytics
Download link: https://loadfocus.com/
BlazeMeter is a Load testing tool which ensures delivery of high-performance software to quickly run performance tests for mobile apps, website or API to check the performance at every stage of its development.
- It allows to test website and integrate multi-geo locations results into single report
- Retrieve site data from Google Analytics account and integrate them into a new test setup.
- Use VPN credentials to integrate a series of load servers into the private network.
Download Link: http://info.blazemeter.com/live-request-a-demo
27) k6 Open Source
k6 is the best open source load testing tool which widely used by enterprises all over the world to develop their websites, mobile applications, web-based apps, and APIs by performing all types of test.
- It simulates traffic exactly happen in real life. No hidden caching or unreal user behaviour.
- Generating load from 10 different locations simultaneously is possible.
- Allows to Record an HTTP session using a proxy recorder and allow to perform the same actions during the test.
Download Link: https://k6.io/
Defect Tracking Tools
This category of tools help in defect/bug management.
JIRA is a defect tracking tool which is used for defect/issue tracking as well as project management. This tool is not only used for recording, reporting but also integrated directly with code development environment.
- JIRA Query Language helps to create quick filters with a single click
- Possible to create custom workflows of any size which is helpful to build, test, and release software.
- Install plug-and-play add-ons from The Atlassian Marketplace to fit all types of cases.
Mantis is an open source defect tracking tool that provides a great balance between simplicity and power. The users can easily get started with this tool for managing their teammates and clients effectively.
- Improve workflow and efficiency of the organisation
- Support for internal issue tracking
- This tool allows Single-sign-on using Bitbucket and GitHub
- MantisHub has its own inbuilt time tracking feature which is helpful for effectively report on time spent on the specific issues.
Download Link: https://www.mantishub.com/signup/gold
The FogBugz is a tracking tool which can be used to track the status of defects and changes in ongoing software projects, such as application development and deployment. It is specifically helpful for organizations to keep track of bugs for multiple projects.
- Fogbugz provide flexibility to find the information in no time.
- It provide support for Agile project management
- Notifications and emails keep team members updated about changes to the projects and cases
Download Link: https://www.fogcreek.com/fogbugz
Bugzilla is one of the best defect Tracking System. The tool allows individual or groups of developers to keep track of outstanding bugs in their system. It is the best open source software used in the market by small scale as well as large- scale organizations.
- Optimized database structure to enhance performance and scalability
- Advanced query tool that remembers customized searches of the user
- Editable user profiles and comprehensive email preferences
- Extension Mechanism for Highly Customizable Installations
Download Link: https://www.bugzilla.org/download/
BugNet is open source Bug Finding Tool. It is a cross-platform application that is written using an ASP.NET platform, and it needs MySQL database as backend tool. The main objective of this defect tracking tool is to make codebase simple and easy to deploy.
- It is open source web base application under GPL license
- BugNET tool makes it simple to file, manage and report bugs
- The tool support multiple databases
- Offer an easy navigation and easy administration
Download Link: http://bugnetproject.com/version-1-1-release/
It is an open source, web-based bug tracking software. Its main functionality includes issue tracking, bug reporting, and project management. It also includes a feedback publishing system.
- Easy and efficient source code management
- Helpful for Interactive project planning
- It offers Powerful command line tools
- Provide support for Incoming and outgoing email
Download Link: https://pach.no/
Redmine is another important defect tracing tool. The basic version of this tool is open-source and it can work on any machine that supports Ruby. It takes more time for installation, but once installed it runs smoothly.
- Issue creation via e-mail
- Offers support for multiple databases
- Flexible issue tracking system
- Flexible role based access control
Download Link: http://www.redmine.org/
Mobile Testing Tools help to automate testing of your Android or iOS applications.
Appium is one of the open source testing tools for automation of mobile applications. It allows users to test all kind of native, mobile, web, and hybrid apps. It also supports the automated tests on emulators and simulators.
- Test the same application which is going to the marketplace.
- It is a simple application which needs a very little memory of for test process.
- Testing Native apps do not need SDK, it offers standard automation APIs which can be used on for all types of platforms.
Download Link: http://appium.io/
Espresso is a mobile testing tool for the enterprises. As an open-source tool, it’s very easy to use, and it can extend within that working environment. This test recorder tool allows creating UI tests for the mobile app without writing a single line of the test code.
- Espresso Workflow Is Simple to Use
- Less Mobile Testing Flakiness
- Fast and consistent feedback to developers
- Developing Espresso test automation is quite easy.
Download link: https://developer.android.com/training/testing/espresso/
Perfecto is a SaaS platform that allows app developers to perform web, mobile & IoT software testing. This tool also allows customers to select the deployment options that are best for the specific project.
- Cloud base mobile application testing
- It provides support for Agile Environment
- The tool can integrate with other qa testing tools like Selenium and Appium
Download link: https://www.perfecto.io/
Digital.ai is a quality assurance tools for mobile developers. The tool includes Manual Testing, Performance Testing, and load testing for mobile applications. This testing tool supports all mobile OS, iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and Blackberry.
- Create and execute automated tests on simulators or emulators hosted in Experitest data centers
- Record and play tests, and automatically recorded test to code and use the same test script for different mobile OS.
- It offers reports with video or Screen HTML-based reporting
- View mobile apps element structure and generate identifiers with ease
Download Link: https://digital.ai/continuous-testing
Robotium is an open-source test automation tool mainly use for Android UI testing. It supports both native and hybrid applications. It is possible to perform System Testing, functional testing, and user acceptance testing over Android-based apps with the help of this tool.
- Record Android UI test cases in minutes
- Provide support to records from emulators and actual devices
- Automatically detects resource ID:s
- Complete support for native and hybrid Android apps
Download Link: https://github.com/RobotiumTech/robotium
API Testing Tools
These API testing tools help in testing REST/SOAP protocols
SoapUI is one of the best testing tools which is cross-platform open source tool for functional testing of SOAP and REST, written use the Java language. It is primarily used to perform functional and load testing on API.
- The GUI of the software is easy to handle and use
- Vulnerability testing feature helps to secure website from hackers and viruses.
- It is possible to do the detailed analysis using its reporting feature.
- SQL Injection feature provide some standard SQL queries and methods to identify the weak areas of the application.
SOAPSonar is an Api Testing tool which focuses on reducing the time and complexity to develop and maintain test cases. It supports testing every individual service independently of the client application and yet groups the test workflow for automation. Moreover, the creation and execution of these test cases require no programming or scripting skills.
- SOAP, XML, and REST service validation
- Functional Testing with Success Rule Framework
- Performance Profiling and Concurrent Client Load Testing
- Web Service Security Testing with Risk Mediation
Download Link: http://www.crosschecknet.com/products/soapsonar/
Tricentis is an Api Testing tool which helps to manage test cases reduces testing time, manual effort and costs by building up and executing test cases.
- It offers Autonomous SAP Testing
- Mature, Robust SAP Test Automation Capabilities
- Solution Manager Integration
Download link: https://www.tricentis.com/software-testing-tool-trial-demo/
Security Testing Tools
These Security testing tools detect security vulnerabilities in your Application Under Test.
NetSparker is a security testing tool which automatically scans websites, web applications and web services for vulnerabilities. It is the only scanner that automatically identified and verifies vulnerabilities with a proof of concept.
- Affordable and Maintenance Free Web Application Security Solution
- It is fully Configurable Online Web Vulnerability Scanner
- This security testing tool easily Integrate Web Security Scanning In SDLC
- It supports enterprise-level collaboration, a feature offered by software testing solutions.
Download Link: https://www.netsparker.com/
The Open Web Application Security Project is known as OWASP is a tool that helps organizations to develop, purchase, and maintain web and software which are reliable and trusted.
- Verify for Security Early and Often
- Validate all types of Inputs
- Implement Identity and Authentication Controls
- Implement all the appropriate Access Controls
Download Link: https://github.com/zaproxy/zaproxy/wiki/Downloads
45) Acunetix Vulnerability Scanner
Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner is the leading security testing tool. It can find various types of security vulnerabilities than any other scanners and displays the fewest number of false positives.
- Most advanced Cross site scripting testing and in-depth SQL injection
- Detection of Blind XSS vulnerabilities
- Automated detection of DOM-based XSS vulnerabilities
Download Link: https://www.acunetix.com/download/fullver14/
CSS Validator Tool
46) W3C CSS validator
It is a free software developed by the W3C to help Web designers and Web developers to check their CSS. With the help of this validation tool. It also helps users to find errors or incorrect uses of CSS.
- W3C CSS validator, one of the best software testing tools, recognizes many browser extensions and prefixes.
- It includes an integrated web browser. Therefore, websites can be browsed and checked at the same time.
- It checks for and alerts accessibility issues to prevent people from using that page.
Download Link: https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/DOWNLOAD.html
47) Telerik studio
Telerik Studio is a software testing tool to test web and desktop applications of all Windows OS. It is a useful tool to test functionality, load and the performance of the web and mobile apps. It also offers a plugin to check Cross-browsing issues.
- Test Automation for AJAX Applications
- Native in build Support for the Telerik UI Controls
- Testing HTML Popups and Browser Dialogs
- Allows Continuous Integration use the Build Server
Download Link: https://www.telerik.com/login/test-studio-ultimate#login
Also Check our list of Best Test Management Tools:- Click Here
What are software testing tools?
Software Testing tools are used for evaluating software products. They check the performance of the applications to assure that all their functionalities are firm.
These tools are also known as QA testing tools, and they help quality assurance engineers to understand the requirements and create the right test cases for them. After the testing is complete, the QA testing software identifies the bugs and reports them to the development team.
Testing tools come in open-source and paid forms. The open-source usually lacks features, while paid tools provide all the required functionalities without limitations.
Some of the best testing tools are TestRail, Xray, and Zephyr Enterprise, as per the QAs’ review.
Benefits of using Software Testing Tools
The benefits of using application testing software are:
High product quality: Using testing tools in software engineering increases the accuracy of tests and boosts the testing speed. It also creates compatibility with multiple OS and browsers, provides feedback to the developer’s team in the early stage, and overall produces high-quality products.
Cost-effective development: As QA testing tools help discover defects and bugs in the early development stage, engineers can fix them in the first lifecycles. This saves time and money instead of trying to fix issues toward the end of the building process.
Improved security: Using application testing software, you can ensure your products have reliable security. These tools identify vulnerabilities that hackers and threats can target.
Customer satisfaction: Using software testing tools help developers pay attention to user requirements and build features accordingly. Thus, it increases customer satisfaction.
Factors you should Consider When Choosing a Testing Tool
Here are the important factors that you need to consider while choosing software testing applications:
Projects requirements: Understand your project requirements, as this is the first factor to consider before you purchase testing tools.
Reusability: Look for software that has a test reusability feature. This means you won’t have to rewrite testing steps repeatedly.
Easy test creation: Get a trial version and examine its automation features to check the test creation functionality. Additionally, look for tools that are data-driven and have self-healing capabilities.
Budget: Always consider your budget and select the tool as per your project and requirement. It is also better to get a paid tool as they have reliable features, support, and advanced functionalities.
Reporting: Make sure the software testing tools provide accurate and several ways of reporting, like clear signs of failed test cases or steps, screenshots for failed steps, and more.
Support: The code testing tools must offer proper training and support 24/7. The provider must also include support for collaboration and integrations. As per our review, tools like Testrail, Zephyr Xray, Testpad, and Testmo are highly recommended.