Below is a hand-picked list of Best Load Testing Tools. The list contains both open-source(free) and commercial load testing tools(paid) with latest features and download links.
Best Load Testing Tools: Open Source (Free) and Paid
• Flexible test scenario creation
• Easy-to-reach customer support
• Automatic bottleneck detection
|Kobiton|| • Create automated test scripts from manual tests and are executable on multiple devices simultaneously.
• Users can test crucial app and website-specific performance with Kobiton’s Payload capture
• Automatic test case generation from the manual session
• Real browser load test execution at scale
• VU Debugger – debug tests in real time
• VU Inspector – manage virtual user activity in real time.
• On-premise or cloud testing supported with multiple load generators
• Works as a stand-alone tool or Fiddler add-on
• Manual scripting is not required but available; supports three scripting languages
WebLOAD is an enterprise-scale load testing solution capable of generating reliable, real life load scenarios, even for the most complex systems, with smart analytics providing performance insights.
WebLOAD is based on a flexible platform with built in support for hundreds of technologies and integration with many tools from CI/CD pipelines to monitoring.
- WebLOAD is offered on the Cloud (SAAS) or as an On-Prem deployment
- Flexible test scenario creation
- Supports every major web technology and easily extendible
- Automatic bottleneck detection
- Easy-to-reach customer support
Kobiton offers flexible real device access options that include a public cloud, private cloud, and on-premises. With Kobiton’s Performance Testing capabilities, users can integrate real device testing with Load and Stress testing solutions. This can be done manually, with automation via script-based solutions like Appium, and using Kobiton’s AI-driven scriptless engine. With Kobiton, you have a platform solution that allows for insight into app and device-specific performance metrics that easily integrates with solutions like NeoLoad or JMeter.
- Kobiton’s device lab management will let you connect with devices in the cloud, your local on-premises devices as well as on-desk devices.
- Create automated test scripts from manual tests and are executable on multiple devices simultaneously.
- Users can test crucial app and website-specific performance with Kobiton’s Payload capture
- Automatic test case generation from the manual session
LoadNinja by SmartBear allows you to quickly create scriptless sophisticated load tests, reduce testing time by 50%, replace load emulators with real browsers, and get actionable, brower-based metrics, all at ninja speed. You can easily capture client-side interactions, debug in real time, and identify performance problems immediately. LoadNinja empowers teams to increase their test coverage without sacrificing quality by removing the tedious efforts of dynamic correlation, script translation, and script scrubbing. With LoadNinja, engineers, testers and product teams can focus more on building apps that scale and less on building load testing scripts.
- Scriptless load test creation & playback with InstaPlay recorder
- Real browser load test execution at scale
- VU Debugger – debug tests in real time
- VU Inspector – manage virtual user activity in real time.
- Hosted on the cloud, no server machine & upkeep required
- Sophisticated browser-based metrics with analytics and reporting features
- HTTP, HTTPS, SAP GUI Web, WebSocket, Java based protocol, Google Web Toolkit, Oracle forms, & more
StresStimulus targets application scenarios that are difficult to test with other tools. It automatically fixes playback errors thanks to its proprietary autocorrelation. StresStimulus records user actions and replays them to emulate variable usage patterns. It also monitors load impact on application responsiveness and server infrastructure. The result analyzer finds hidden concurrency errors left unexposed by functional testing and includes detailed application performance metrics.
- End-to-end Test Wizard covers all steps from recording to test results, which reduces the learning curve
- On-premise or cloud testing supported with multiple load generators
- Works as a stand-alone tool or Fiddler add-on
- Exports script to Visual Studio test format to help with scenarios that fail when recorded in Visual Studio directly
- Manual scripting is not required but available; supports three scripting languages
5) Apache Jmeter
JMeter is an open source tool that can be used for performance and load testing for analyzing and measuring the performance of a variety of services. It is one of the best load testing tools that is mainly used as website load testing tools for web service applications.
- This free tool doesn’t demand state of the art infrastructure for load testing and supports multiple load injectors managed by a single controller
- It is one of the performance test tools which is highly portable and supports 100% all the Java based apps
- Less scripting efforts as compared to other api performance testing tools because of its user-friendly GUI
- Simple charts and graphs sufficient for analyzing key load related statistics and resource usage monitors.
- Supports Integrated real-time, Tomcat collectors for Monitoring
Web : HTTP, HTTPS, WebServices : XML, SOAP, etc., Java based protocols, FTP
6) HP Performance Tester (LoadRunner)
This is an enterprise performance testing version of Loadrunner and a platform enabled both global standardization and formation Performance CoE.
- Lower the cost of distributed load testing
- Scale from single projects to a full-scale testing Center of Excellence (CoEs) that consolidates hardware, standardizes best practices, and leverages global testing resources
- Reduce the risk of deploying systems that do not meet performance requirements through the use of effective enterprise load tester tool
- It is one of the best performance testing tools that lowers hardware and software costs by accurately predicting system capacity
- Pinpoint the root cause of application performance problems quickly and accurately
- It is one of the Effective performance test tools for utilization tracking
- Browser based access to global test resources and optimal usage of load generator farm.
All protocols are supported by Load Runner load test tool
7) Silk Performer
Silk Performer tool is an enterprise class load and stress testing tool and has the ability to test multiple application environments with the thousands of concurrent users. It is one of the best load testing tools which supports the widest range of protocols.
There are many good load and stress test features in Silkperformer and those are listed as follows:
- Components -> Workbench, True Log Explorer and Performance Explorer
- Requires minimum hardware resources for virtual user simulation
- Simulates modifiable virtual users
- This load test tool Supports integrated server monitoring
- Customer friendly licensing
- Correlation and Parameterization is user friendly
- No License requirement for Controllers or Individual Protocols
- Handles Load Test in Project approach
- Generates reports with tables and graphs and allows customization.
- This stress testing tool supports six models of workloads.
- This load tester tool provides Agent Health Control
- Stress test website with server side diagnostics
- Resource Management
- It is one of the best website load testing tools that provides Version Control Management
HTTP/HTML, HTTPS/HTML, HTTP/HTTPS, Flash, Email (SMTP/ POP), FTP, TCP/IP, LDAP, XML/SOAP, .NET and many more
Download Silk Performer
8) Rational Performance Tester
Rational Performance Tester(RPT) is a performance and load testing tool developed by IBM Corporation. It is performance test creation, execution, and analysis tool that helps development team to validate the scalability and reliability of web based applications before deployment into production.
There are good features which gives confidence to the users that all performance related bottlenecks are resolved. Following are some of the features of this tool:
- No coding involved
- It is one of the best performance testing tools that provides scheduled and event based testing
- Real time reporting for immediate performance problem identification
- It is one of the best website load testing tools that can run with large multi users tests
- Accurate user profile workloads
- This load test software has automated test data variation
- Automatic identification of dynamic server responses
- Performs the website load test with rendered HTML view of web pages visited during test recordings
- Environment and Platform support
- Entrust security protocol support
- Java code insertion for customization
Citrix, Socket Recording, Web HTTP, SOA, SAP, XML, Websphere, Weblogic
Download Rational Functional Tester
SmartMeter.io is an alternative to JMeter and aims to fix its drawbacks. It is one of the best load testing tools that allows for easy scriptless test scenario creation using the so-called Recorder, yet still lets you make advanced edits of the test. It also excels in test reporting and makes use of functions such as automatic test criteria evaluation, test runs comparison and trend analysis. It fully supports CI/CD integration. Available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- This load test software provides scriptless test scenario creation
- Comprehensive reporting with automatic evaluation and test runs comparison
- GUI test run with real time results
- State of the art response body extractor (Boundary body extractor)
- CI/CD ready
- HTTP, JDBC, LDAP, SOAP, JMS, and FTP
❓ What is Performance Testing?
Performance Testing checks the speed, response time, reliability, resource usage, scalability of a software program under their expected workload. The purpose of Performance Testing is not to find functional defects but to eliminate performance bottlenecks in the software or device
✅ Which are the Best Performance Testing Tools?
Here are some of the Best Performance Testing Tools:
- Apache Jmeter
- HP Performance Tester
- Silk Performer
- Rational Performance Tester
❗ What is Load Testing?
Load Testing determines a system’s performance under a specific expected load. This purpose of Load Test is to determine how the application behaves when multiple users access it simultaneously.
⚡ Which factors should you consider while selecting a Load/Performance Testing Tool?
You should consider the following factors before selecting a tool
- Desired Protocol Support: Web, Desktop, Citrix, SAP, etc
- License Cost if applicable
- In the case of an outsourcing project, you need to factor customer/Client preference of the automation tool
- The cost involved in training employees on the tool
- Hardware/Software requirements of the automation tool
- Support and Update policy of the automation tool vendor.