Performance Testing is the process of determining the speed, effectiveness, reliability, scalability and interoperability of the system, computer, network, program or application. The process can also check two or more application to compare system speed, data transfer rate, bandwidth, efficiency, and reliability.
Below is a hand-picked list of Web Performance Testing Tools
1) LoadUI Pro
LoadUI Pro by Smartbear allows you to quickly create scriptless sophisticated load tests, distribute them on cloud using load agents and monitor performance of your servers as you increase load on them. You can access detailed reports and quickly automate your load tests on Jenkins, Bamboo, TFS and other automation frameworks – If you are using SoapUI already, you can convert the test cases into load tests with just 3 clicks– all without writing a single line of script.
- Scriptless Load test creation
- Preconfigured load test templates like spike, baseline, stress, smoke
- Drag and drop load tests on distribution agents on cloud
- Sophisticated analytics and statists features for reporting
- Quick conversion of functional tests from SoapUI as load tests
- HTTP, REST, SOAP, JSON ,JMS, Swagger, RAML , IODocs,
- API Blueprint, JSON Schema, XML Schema, MQTT, CoAP, WSDL,WADL
StresStimulus targets application scenarios that are difficult to test with other tools. It automatically fixes playback errors thanks to its proprietary autocorrelation. StresStimulus records user actions and replays them to emulate variable usage patterns. It also monitors load impact on application responsiveness and server infrastructure. The result analyzer finds hidden concurrency errors left unexposed by functional testing and includes detailed application performance metrics.
- End-to-end Test Wizard covers all steps from recording to test results, which reduces the learning curve
- On-premise or cloud testing supported with multiple load generators
- Works as a stand-alone tool or Fiddler add-on
- Exports script to Visual Studio test format to help with scenarios that fail when recorded in Visual Studio directly
- Manual scripting is not required but available; supports three scripting languages
LoadView by Dotcom-Monitor is a powerful, cloud-based load testing tool that uses real browsers to load test your website or web application and can perform testing that scales to thousands of simultaneous users. The test results are recorded, aggregated and available in real-time online graphs. It provides detailed reports to help track the response time of your website as the number of simultaneous users increases. One major difference between LoadView and most other load testing tools is the ability to run multi-step, scripted user interactions using a real browser.
- Create tasks that range from simple calls to download content, to complex interactions simulating real users interacting with your web application
- Record dynamic scripts with no coding knowledge using the EveryStep Scripting Tool
- Over 40 different browsers, you can choose from to record a script that also includes mobile devices
- Real-time results that include session wise data on individual page and session response times
Browser Web Transitions, JS, HTTP, HTTPS, REST, SOAP, JSON, XML, WebSocket, WebAPI
4) Apache Jmeter
JMeter is an open source tool that can be used for performance and load testing for analyzing and measuring the performance of a variety of services. This tools mainly used for web and web service applications.
This tool doesn't demand state of the art infrastructure for load testing and supports multiple load injectors managed by a single controller
- Web : HTTP, HTTPS
- WebServices : XML, SOAP, etc.
- Java based protocols
Pros and Cons of JMeter:
| || |
5) HP Performance Tester (LoadRunner)
This is an enterprise performance testing version of Loadrunner and a platform enabled both global standardization and formation Performance CoE.
All protocols are supported by Load Runner
Pros and Cons of HP Performance Tester tool:
| || |
WebLOAD is an enterprise-scale load testing tool which features a comprehensive IDE, Load Generation Console, and a sophisticated Analytics Dashboard.
- Flexible test scenario creation
- Supports every major web technology
- Powerful correlation engine
- Automatic bottleneck detection
- Generate load on-premise or in the cloud
WebLOAD Pros and Cons
| || |
Read more about WebLOAD here
7) Silk Performer
Silk Performer tool is an enterprise class load and stress testing tool and has the ability to test multiple application environments with the thousands of concurrent users. It also supports the widest range of protocols.
There are good features in Silkperformer and those are listed as follows:
- Components -> Workbench, True Log Explorer and Performance Explorer
- Requires minimum hardware resources for virtual user simulation
- Simulates modifiable virtual users
- Generates reports with tables and graphs and allows customization.
- Supports six models of workloads.
- Provides Agent Health Control
- Server side diagnostics
- Resource Management
- Version Control Management
Following are the good number of protocols supported by silk performer of Borland Corporation:
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
Pros and Cons of the tool:
Following table discusses the pros and cons of the silk performer tools:
| || |
| || |
Download Silk Performer
8) Rational Performance Tester
Rational Performance Tester(RPT) is a performance and load testing tool developed by IBM Corporation. It is performance test creation, execution, and analysis tool that helps development team to validate the scalability and reliability of web based applications before deployment into production.
There are good features which gives confidence to the users that all performance related bottlenecks are resolved. Following are some of the features of this tool:
- No coding involved
- Scheduled and event based testing
- Real time reporting for immediate performance problem identification
- Run with large multi users tests
- Accurate user profile workloads
- Automated test data variation
- Automatic identification of dynamic server responses
- Rendered HTML view of web pages visited during test recordings
- Environment and Platform support
- Entrust security protocol support
- Java code insertion for customization
Some of the protocols supported by RPT are:
- Socket Recording
- Web HTTP
Pros and Cons of RPT
Following are the PROS and CONS of the application;
| || |
Download Rational Functional Tester
SmartMeter.io is an alternative to JMeter and aims to fix its drawbacks. It allows for easy scriptless test scenario creation using the so-called Recorder, yet still lets you make advanced edits of the test. It also excels in test reporting and makes use of functions such as automatic test criteria evaluation, test runs comparison and trend analysis. It fully supports CI/CD integration. Available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- Scriptless test scenario creation
- Comprehensive reporting with automatic evaluation and test runs comparison
- GUI test run with real time results
- State of the art response body extractor (Boundary body extractor)
- CI/CD ready
- HTTP, JDBC, LDAP, SOAP, JMS, and FTP
| || |
| || |
AppLoader is a load testing solution designed for business applications. It allows you to test any application by reproducing the same user experience from all your access points: Thin, fat clients, and web portals.
- AppLoader allows you to test the entire business flow, including all third-party apps, without adding plugins or writing a single line of code.
- AppLoader replicates the users’ interactions with your application and gives you valuable metrics about the end users’ experience including screenshots of failures.
- Scripts are created automatically when you use your application and can be easily edited without coding. They can then be seamlessly applied to regression testing and application monitoring modules available.
Compatible with: all versions of Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop, Cloud-Based and hybrid Infrastructures, EHR systems including Epic and McKesson, as well as custom applications.
| || |
| || |
Factors considered for selection of Performance/Load tools:
Don't Slog to Choose The Right Tool. Get Smart. Consider the following factors before your decide.
- Desired Protocol Support
- License Cost
- Customer/Client Preference of load tool
- Cost involved in training employees on tool
- Hardware/Software requirements of load tool
- Tool Vendor support and update policy.
There is no best tool in the market. You need to find the best tool for your performance project goals.