Performance Testing is the process of determining the speed, effectiveness, reliability, scalability and interoperability of the system, computer, network, program or application. The process can also check two or more application to compare system speed, data transfer rate, bandwidth, efficiency, and reliability.
Below is a hand-picked list of Top Web Performance Testing Tools-
LoadNinja by SmartBear allows you to quickly create scriptless sophisticated load tests, reduce testing time by 50%, replace load emulators with real browsers, and get actionable, brower-based metrics, all at ninja speed. You can easily capture client-side interactions, debug in real time, and identify performance problems immediately. LoadNinja empowers teams to increase their test coverage without sacrificing quality by removing the tedious efforts of dynamic correlation, script translation, and script scrubbing. With LoadNinja, engineers, testers and product teams can focus more on building apps that scale and less on building load testing scripts.
- Scriptless load test creation & playback with InstaPlay recorder
- Real browser load test execution at scale
- VU Debugger – debug tests in real time
- VU Inspector – manage virtual user activity in real time.
- Hosted on the cloud, no server machine & upkeep required
- Sophisticated browser-based metrics with analytics and reporting features
- HTTP, HTTPS, SAP GUI Web, WebSocket, Java based protocol, Google Web Toolkit, Oracle forms, & more
StresStimulus targets application scenarios that are difficult to test with other tools. It automatically fixes playback errors thanks to its proprietary autocorrelation. StresStimulus records user actions and replays them to emulate variable usage patterns. It also monitors load impact on application responsiveness and server infrastructure. The result analyzer finds hidden concurrency errors left unexposed by functional testing and includes detailed application performance metrics.
- End-to-end Test Wizard covers all steps from recording to test results, which reduces the learning curve
- On-premise or cloud testing supported with multiple load generators
- Works as a stand-alone tool or Fiddler add-on
- Exports script to Visual Studio test format to help with scenarios that fail when recorded in Visual Studio directly
- Manual scripting is not required but available; supports three scripting languages
3) LoadUI Pro
LoadUI Pro by Smartbear allows you to quickly create scriptless sophisticated load tests, distribute them on cloud using load agents and monitor performance of your servers as you increase load on them. You can access detailed reports and quickly automate your load tests on Jenkins, Bamboo, TFS and other automation frameworks – If you are using SoapUI already, you can convert the test cases into load tests with just 3 clicks– all without writing a single line of script.
- Scriptless Load test creation
- Preconfigured load test templates like spike, baseline, stress, smoke
- Drag and drop load tests on distribution agents on cloud
- Sophisticated analytics and statists features for reporting
- Quick conversion of functional tests from SoapUI as load tests
- HTTP, REST, SOAP, JSON ,JMS, Swagger, RAML , IODocs,
- API Blueprint, JSON Schema, XML Schema, MQTT, CoAP, WSDL,WADL
With LoadView by Dotcom-Monitor, you can show actual performance of your applications under load — just as your users experience it. LoadView utilizes real browser-based load testing for websites, web applications, and APIs. Easily create multi-step scripts that simulate users interacting with your website or application using the EveryStep Web Recorder, or even manually edit the script using your own C# code.
- Cloud-based load testing in real browsers
- Supports Rich Internet Applications (RIA), such as Flash, Silverlight, Java, HTML5, PHP, Ruby, and more
- Quickly and easily build test scripts without touching a line of code
- Test compatibility on 40+ desktop/mobile browsers and devices
- 13+ world-wide cloud locations using Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform
- Identify bottlenecks and ensure scalability
- Performance metrics and reports that can be shared with various internal stakeholders for capacity planning
NeoLoad is an innovative performance testing platform designed to automate test design, maintenance, and analysis for Agile and DevOps teams. NeoLoad integrates with continuous delivery pipelines to support performance testing across the life cycle - from component to the full system-wide load tests.
- Automated test design enabling 10x faster test creation and update than traditional solutions
- Integration with CI servers for automated test runtime
- Collaboration: shared test scripts and reports, in real -time and after test completion through an on-premise or SaaS web interface
- Hybrid on-premise and cloud load generation from over 70 global localizations
WebLOAD is an enterprise-scale load testing solution capable of generating reliable, real life load scenarios, even for the most complex systems, with smart analytics providing performance insights.
WebLOAD is based on a flexible platform with built in support for hundreds of technologies and integration with many tools from CI/CD pipelines to monitoring.
- WebLOAD is offered on the Cloud (SAAS) or as an On-Prem deployment
- Flexible test scenario creation
- Supports every major web technology and easily extendible
- Automatic bottleneck detection
- Easy-to-reach customer support
Automai's Performance testing tool gives the most realistic performance test available because it simulates user load with virtual users opening individual desktops to run the applications from the front end.
- Completely Code-less: click through your application, and Automai will record your scenarios and display the scripts as simple user actions that are easy to edit
- Smart : Able to recognize and act on images that change color or move about the screen.
- Captures screenshots of the problems so you can see what exactly what is not working.
- Guaranteed to work with all the environments in your business: from Citrix, to fat client, to web applications.
- Part of a complete Robotic Automation Platform: Save time and money: Use the same scenarios to monitor your apps, to perform regression tests, and even to automate your business processes.
8) Apache Jmeter
JMeter is an open source tool that can be used for performance and load testing for analyzing and measuring the performance of a variety of services. This tools mainly used for web and web service applications.
- This tool doesn't demand state of the art infrastructure for load testing and supports multiple load injectors managed by a single controller
- Highly portable and supports 100% all the Java based apps
- Less scripting efforts as compared to other tools because of its user-friendly GUI
- Simple charts and graphs sufficient for analyzing key load related statistics and resource usage monitors.
- Supports Integrated real-time, Tomcat collectors for Monitoring
Web : HTTP, HTTPS, WebServices : XML, SOAP, etc., Java based protocols, FTP
9) HP Performance Tester (LoadRunner)
This is an enterprise performance testing version of Loadrunner and a platform enabled both global standardization and formation Performance CoE.
- Lower the cost of distributed load testing
- Scale from single projects to a full-scale testing Center of Excellence (CoEs) that consolidates hardware, standardizes best practices, and leverages global testing resources
- Reduce the risk of deploying systems that do not meet performance requirements through the use of effective enterprise load testing
- Lower hardware and software costs by accurately predicting system capacity
- Pinpoint the root cause of application performance problems quickly and accurately
- Effective tool utilization tracking
- Browser based access to global test resources and optimal usage of load generator farm.
All protocols are supported by Load Runner
10) Silk Performer
Silk Performer tool is an enterprise class load and stress testing tool and has the ability to test multiple application environments with the thousands of concurrent users. It also supports the widest range of protocols.
There are good features in Silkperformer and those are listed as follows:
- Components -> Workbench, True Log Explorer and Performance Explorer
- Requires minimum hardware resources for virtual user simulation
- Simulates modifiable virtual users
- Supports integrated server monitoring
- Customer friendly licensing
- Correlation and Parameterization is user friendly
- No License requirement for Controllers or Individual Protocols
- Handles Load Test in Project approach
- Generates reports with tables and graphs and allows customization.
- Supports six models of workloads.
- Provides Agent Health Control
- Server side diagnostics
- Resource Management
- Version Control Management
HTTP/HTML, HTTPS/HTML, HTTP/HTTPS, Flash, Email (SMTP/ POP), FTP, TCP/IP, LDAP, XML/SOAP, .NET and many more
Download Silk Performer
11) Rational Performance Tester
Rational Performance Tester(RPT) is a performance and load testing tool developed by IBM Corporation. It is performance test creation, execution, and analysis tool that helps development team to validate the scalability and reliability of web based applications before deployment into production.
There are good features which gives confidence to the users that all performance related bottlenecks are resolved. Following are some of the features of this tool:
- No coding involved
- Scheduled and event based testing
- Real time reporting for immediate performance problem identification
- Run with large multi users tests
- Accurate user profile workloads
- Automated test data variation
- Automatic identification of dynamic server responses
- Rendered HTML view of web pages visited during test recordings
- Environment and Platform support
- Entrust security protocol support
- Java code insertion for customization
Citrix, Socket Recording, Web HTTP, SOA, SAP, XML, Websphere, Weblogic
Download Rational Functional Tester
AppLoader is a load testing solution designed for business applications. It allows you to test any application by reproducing the same user experience from all your access points: Thin, fat clients, and web portals.
- AppLoader allows you to test the entire business flow, including all third-party apps, without adding plugins or writing a single line of code.
- AppLoader replicates the users' interactions with your application and gives you valuable metrics about the end users' experience including screenshots of failures.
- Scripts are created automatically when you use your application and can be easily edited without coding. They can then be seamlessly applied to regression testing and application monitoring modules available.
Compatible with: all versions of Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop, Cloud-Based and hybrid Infrastructures, EHR systems including Epic and McKesson, as well as custom applications.
SmartMeter.io is an alternative to JMeter and aims to fix its drawbacks. It allows for easy scriptless test scenario creation using the so-called Recorder, yet still lets you make advanced edits of the test. It also excels in test reporting and makes use of functions such as automatic test criteria evaluation, test runs comparison and trend analysis. It fully supports CI/CD integration. Available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- Scriptless test scenario creation
- Comprehensive reporting with automatic evaluation and test runs comparison
- GUI test run with real time results
- State of the art response body extractor (Boundary body extractor)
- CI/CD ready
- HTTP, JDBC, LDAP, SOAP, JMS, and FTP
Factors considered for selection of Performance/Load tools:
Don't Slog to Choose The Right Tool. Get Smart. Consider the following factors before your decide.
- Desired Protocol Support
- License Cost
- Customer/Client Preference of load tool
- Cost involved in training employees on tool
- Hardware/Software requirements of load tool
- Tool Vendor support and update policy.
There is no best tool in the market. You need to find the best tool for your performance project goals.