The internet is a global system that uses TCP/IP protocol suite to link various types of electric devices worldwide. The internet is a collection of interconnected devices that are spread across the globe. The internet is a network of networks which consist of public, private, sales, finance, academic, business, and government networks. The internet is a type of network and called a network of networks.
In this tutorial, you will learn:
- What is Internet?
- What is Intranet?
- How Does Internet Works?
- How Does Intranet Works?
- Features of the Internet
- Features of Intranet
- Difference Between Internet and Intranet
- Applications of Internet
- Applications of Intranet
- Advantages of Internet
- Advantages of Intranet
- Disadvantages of Internet
- Disadvantages of Intranet
An intranet is a private network which gives employees in a company the ability to organise information, manage documents, shares calendars and to-do list. It normally runs in a client/server environment in a local area network.
In Intranet, every computer is connected via the LAN and has something known as an MAC address. It is a number that allows you to identify the place where the computer is located.
- The Internet is a wide network of computers that is available to all whereas Intranet is a network of computers designed for a certain group of users.
- Internet is a public network and Intranet is a private network.
- Internet contains various source of information while Intranet only contains group-specific information.
- Number of internet users are very high but the number of users of Intranet is limited.
- Anyone can access the internet while Intranet is accessible only by the organization employees or admin who have login details.
The Internet is a network build by the interconnection of a large number of computer networks that is not owned by any entity. It is not admin by any administration any person in the world can join it.
TCP/IP protocol is the main impelling agent for the internet used by the connected networks apart from other protocols like FTP, HTTP, and SMTP.
An intranet is a private computer network that uses internet protocols, network connectivity to access and share an enterprise information and operations securely with its staff.
It uses the same client-server model that runs on the TCP/IP protocol suite, which is very much similar to the internet. Information within an organization can be retrieved with the help of browsers. It could also work without the need to installing special software on the user’s machines.
Here are some important features of the Internet:
- A global network which connects millions of computers
- The internet is decentralized
- Every computer over the internet is independent
- There are various ways to access the internet
Here are important features of Intranet:
- Intranet is fast and accurate.
- Most website with large graphical images, videos, and sound, process fast on Intranet
- Your firewall protects it from external threats.
- It is easy to monitor with your organization
- Easy communication across the company from all levels
- Helps to share ideas and discussions
Here are important differences between Internet and Intranet:
|The Internet is a wide network of computers and is available to all.||Intranet is a network of computers designed for a certain group of users.|
|Internet contains a large number of intranets.||Intranet can be accessed from the Internet with specific restrictions.|
|Number of internet users are very high.||Number of users is limited.|
|Internet contains various source of information.||Intranet only contains group-specific information.|
|Anyone can access the internet||Accessible only by the organization employees or admin who have login details.|
|It is not as safe as compared to intranet||Safe and secure network.|
|It is a public network.||It is a private network.|
Here are important applications of Internet:
- Download programs and files
- To send and receive E-Mails
- Voice and video Conferencing
- File sharing
- Browsing various types of Information
- Search the web addresses for access through the search engine and chatting
Here are important applications of Intranet:
- Sharing the detail of company rules/policies & regulations
- Access employee database
- Access product & customer data
- Sharing some common information
- Intranet also use for launching personal or department-specific home pages
- Submission of reports
- Corporate telephone directories
Here are pros/benefits of using the Internet:
- The Internet is a network of computers at different locations around the world.
- Allows you to send an email message from every location
- Helps you to send or receive files between different computers
- Using the Internet, you can participate in discussion groups, such as mailing lists and newsgroups.
- It allows all small, medium, and large size businesses to sell their products with small investments.
- It makes information available worldwide
- It helps you updated with the latest news and technologies.
- It helps us meet people with the same interests as communities, forums, chats, websites, etc.
Here are pros/benefits of Intranet:
- Fast, easy, low-cost to implement
- Based on open standards
- Allows connectivity with other systems
- Access to internal and external information
- Improves communication
Here are some cons/drawbacks of using the Internet:
- It allows everybody to speak about everything without any limitations or censorship. That could be a bad influence on impressionable minds.
- The search engines may display some fake news results.
- Internet could replace face to face collaborations and make us lose the human touch.
- Working or on the internet is surely tiring.
- The Internet makes us lazier – as for common things like search the nearest restaurant or finding the best hotel.
Here are drawbacks/cons of Intranet:
- Threat of sharing information and the loss of control
- Unauthorized access
- Limited bandwidth for the business
- Information overload lowers productivity
- Hidden or unknown complexity and costs