Frontend developers are professionals who are responsible for effectively implementing visual components on a website. They perform front-end development tasks like website designing, appearance, navigation, buttons.
The main objective of designing any website is to ensure that users can see the relevant information in a format that is easy to read. But this simple goal is complicated to implement as visitors use various types of devices with different screen sizes and resolutions. They also need to ensure that the website opens correctly in various browsers and different operating systems (cross-platform). This forces the Front-end developer to test their design on multiple permutations of OS, Browser, and Devices, making their job difficult.
In this tutorial, you will learn:
- What Does a Front End Developer Do?
- Important Skills for Front End Developers
- What Software and Tools does a Frontend Developer use?
- What’s the difference between a Front-end and Back-end developer?
- Front End Developer Jobs and Salary
- Front End Developer Courses
Here are some important Roles played by frontend developers:
- Front end web developer should be able to define components on the web page with HTML.
- A front-end developer performs different tasks like content management, web design changes, interaction analysis, debugging, etc.
- Analyzes the client-side performance of a webpage to understand the user experience and user interactions better.
- A front-end developer works with web designers and UX specialists to bring out the best experience for the visitors.
Here are the important skills for Front End Developers:
- Ability to create responsive designs on a website.
- Good HTML (Hypertext markup language) knowledge for defining components on a webpage.
- Ability to analyze the client-side performance of a webpage to understand the user experience better.
- Frontend developers optimize websites for a better user experience.
- Developing and maintaining the user interface.
- Implementing website design for mobile devices.
- Managing software workflow.
- Should be familiar with the latest SEO best practices.
- Fixing bugs and testing websites for usability.
Front-end developer or a full stack developer designs the visual part of a website that users see. The front-end developer turns designs created by a web designer into a functional, aesthetically pleasing user interface.
Here is some technical knowledge expected from Front-end Developers:
1) Frontend Technologies:
2) Development Languages:
4) Database and Cache:
5) Responsive and Mobile Design:
To become a successful front-end developer, knowledge of designing is a must. Moreover, the front-end developer should have responsive and mobile design skills, which are important to employers.
Responsive design means the site’s layout change based on the screen size and device the user is using. Frontend developers need to make sure that the website is accessible to all users and remains responsive to all mobile, tablets, laptops, PCs, or other devices.
7) Version Control System (VCS):
A version control system helps Front end developers to keep track of all the changes made in their code. Git is widely used in these version control systems can be installed using the command line. The knowledge of Git helps developers understand the latest code, update certain parts of the code, and make changes in other developers’ code.
8) Working with API (REST & SOAP):
9) Content Management Systems and eCommerce Platforms:
A Front-end developer should know about various content management systems and eCommerce platforms (a specific type of CMS). The most popular CMS used worldwide is WordPress. Some other popular CMSs include Magento, Joomla, and Drupal.
10) Cross-Browser Development:
Modern browsers are very good at displaying websites consistently. However, there are still differences in how they interpret code internally. Knowing how to make your website work the way you want on each browser is also very important.
|Front-end developer||Back-end developer|
|Front-end web development, front-end developers, generally work on the user-facing portions of a website or web application||Back-end web developers tend to work with server-side technologies that power the site’s functionality.|
|Frontend web developer works along with the designer by taking users’ inputs and modifying them through testing.||Backend web developers develop an application that supports the frontend. They also provide support, security, and content management.|
|Front end development service cannot be offered independently.||Back end development can be offered as an independent service in BaaS (Back-end as a service).|
|Average front end developer’s salary is $104,405 per year.||Average salary of back end developers are $120,798 per year.|
There are various positions available for front-end developers. However, one title might require specific duties at one company, and the other requires a different skillset for another company. So, it is always good to clearly understand what that specific job role entails.
Here are some Job profile of Front End developers:
- Web designer: Front-end developer with professional design skills. May focus more on design than coding.
- Web developer: It is a more general term to describe front-end, back-end, or full-stack developers.
- UX/UI developer: Front-end developer with interaction design skills.
- WordPress developer: This type of front-end developer that specializes in the WordPress platform.
- Mobile developer: A front- or back-end developer that focuses on mobile apps instead of web pages and apps.
Here are the top three online Front-end development courses that help you become a professional front-end developer (full stack developer).
The Front-End Web Developer course is an online course for learners with the unique skills they require to build and develop various websites and web applications.
- CSS & Website Layout
- Web APIs and Asynchronous Applications
- Build Tools, Webpack, and Service Worker
- You can access to the classroom immediately on enrollment
- Personalized feedback
- Practical tips and industry best practices
- Unlimited submissions and feedback loops
- Additional suggested resources to improve
Duration: 4 Months- (5-10 hrs./week weekly word effort)
- Introduction to HTML5 and CSS3
- Coding the Static Restaurant Site
- Shareable course certificate
- Self-paced learning option
- Course videos & readings
- Graded assignments with peer feedback
- Graded quizzes with feedback
- Graded programming assignments
Duration: Approx. 40 hours to complete
Certification on Completion: Yes
- Introduction of Functional Programming
- Real-world projects from industry experts
- Technical mentor support
Duration: 3 months
- Frontend developers are professionals who are responsible for effectively implementing visual components on a website.
- A frontend developer defines components on the webpage with HTML.
- Front-end stack development is used for designing the part of a website that a user sees.
- Front-end developers should know: 1) Frontend technologies, 2) Web Development Languages, 3) TypeScript, 4) Database and Cache, 5) Responsive and Mobile Design, 6) Server, 7) Version Control System, 8) Working with APIs, 9) Functional testing and Unit testing, and 10) Cross-Browser Development.
- Back-end web developers tend to work with server-side technologies that power the site’s functionality. In comparison, Front-end web developers generally work on the user-facing portions of a website or web application