There are many front-end development tools that accelerate web development. Here is a curated list of top tools with key features and download links.
- Discover and reuse over 470,000 free code packages in the Registry
- Encourage code discovery and reuse within teams
- Publish and control access to namespace
- Manage public and private code using the same workflow
Download link: https://www.npmjs.com/
- TypeScript supports other JS libraries
- It is portable across browsers, devices, and operating systems
Download link: https://www.typescriptlang.org/index.html#download-links
- CSS changes are injected without need of reloading the entire page
- Combine scripts to reduce HTTP requests.
- Minify code to reduce file sizes
- Works automatically with most languages without trouble
Download link: https://codekitapp.com/
- WebStorm helps developers to code more efficiently when working with large projects
- It provides built-in tools for debugging, testing and tracing client-side and Node.js applications
- It integrates with popular command line tools for web development
- It provides a unified UI for working with many popular Version Control System
- It is extremely customizable to perfectly suite various coding style
- It offers built-in debugger for client-side code and Node.js apps
Download link: https://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/download/#section=windows
5) HTML5 Boilerplate:
HTML5 Boilerplate help in building fast, robust, and adaptable web apps or sites. It is a set of files that developers can download, which provide a foundation for any website.
- It allows developers to use HTML5 elements
- It is designed by keeping progressive enhancement in mind
- Normalize.css for CSS normalizations and common bug fixes
- Apache Server Configs to improve performance and security
- It offers optimized version of the Google Universal Analytics snippet
- Extensive inline and accompanying documentation
Download link: https://html5boilerplate.com/
AngularJS is another must-have tool for front-end developers. It is an open-source web application framework. It helps to extend the HTML syntax for web applications. It simplifies front-end development process by developing accessible, readable and expressive environment.
- It is an is open source, completely free, and used by thousands of developers around the world
- It offers to create RICH Internet Application
Download link: https://angularjs.org/
Sass is the most reliable, mature, and robust CSS extension language. This tool helps to extend the functionality of an existing CSS of a site like variables, inheritance, and nesting with ease.
- It is straightforward and easy to use front end tool to write any code
- Supports language extensions such as variables, nesting, and mixins
- Many useful functions for manipulating colors and other values
- Advanced features like control directives for libraries
- It offers well-formatted, customizable output
Download link: http://sass-lang.com/
Backbone.js gives structure to web applications by offering models with key-value binding and custom events.
- Backbone.js allows developers to develop one-page applications
- Backbone.js has a simple library used to separate business and user interface logic
- This tool makes code simple, systematic and organized. It acts as a backbone for any project
- It manages the data model which also includes the user data and display that data on the server side
- It allows developers to create client side web applications or mobile applications
Download link: http://backbonejs.org/
Grunt is a popular task runner on NodeJS. It is flexible and widely adopted. It is preferred tool when it comes to task automation. It offers lots of bundled plugins for common tasks.
- It makes the workflow as easy as writing a setup file
- It allows automating repetitive tasks with minimum effort
- It has a straightforward approach. It includes tasks in JS and config in JSON
- Grunt includes built-in tasks for extending the functionality of plugins and scripts
- It speeds up the development process and increase the performance of projects
- The ecosystem of Grunt is huge; so it is possible to automate anything with very less effort
- This web development tool reduces the chance of getting errors while performing repetitive tasks
Download link: https://gruntjs.com/
- Low overhead, no external dependencies
- Comes out of the box with everything need to test code
- Run browser tests and Node.js tests using the same framework
Download link: https://jasmine.github.io/index.html
CodePen is a web development environment for front-end designers and developers. It is all about faster and smoother development. It allows to build, deploy website and build test cases.
- It offers to build components to use elsewhere later
- It includes some awesome features to write CSS faster.
- Allows live view and live sync
- Prefill API feature allows adding links and demo pages without need to code anything
Download link: https://codepen.io/
Foundation is front-end framework for any device, medium, and accessibility. This responsive front-end framework makes it easy to design responsive websites, apps, and emails.
- It offers the cleanest markup without sacrificing the utility and speed of Foundation
- Possible to customize the build to include or remove certain elements. As it defines the size of columns, colors, font size.
- Faster development and page load speed
- Foundation is optimized truly for mobile devices
- Customizability for developers of all levels
- It takes responsive design to the next level, with the much-needed medium grid accommodating for tablets
Download link: http://foundation.zurb.com/sites/download.html/
13) Sublime Text:
Sublime Text is a proprietary cross-platform source code editor. This app development tool natively supports many programming languages and markup languages.
- Command palette feature allows matching keyboard invocation of arbitrary commands
- Simultaneous editing allows making the same interactive changes to multiple areas
- Offers Python-based plugin API
- Allows developers to give project specific preferences
- Compatible with many language grammars from TextMate
Download link: https://www.sublimetext.com/
14) Grid Guide:
Grid guide is another important front end development tool. It allows creating pixel perfect grids within designs. It is a simple tool that can unlock very valuable workflows.
- Add guides based on the canvas, artboards, and selected layers
- Quickly add guides to edges and midpoints
- Allows to create duplicate guides to other artboards and documents
- Helps users to create custom grids
Download link: https://guideguide.me/
15) Chrome Developer Tools:
The Chrome Developer Tools are a set of debugging tools built into Chrome. These tools allow developers to do wide varieties of testing which easily saved lots of time.
- It allows adding custom CSS rules
- Users can view Margin, Border, and Padding
- It helps to Emulate Mobile Devices
- Possible to use dev tools as editor
- User can easily disable browser's caching when dev tool is open
Download link: https://developer.chrome.com/devtools
Modal is front end development plugin which gives quality, flexibile, and accessibile modals.
- Optimized for assistive technologies and screen readers
- Fully responsive, scaling with browser width
- Customizable CSS with SASS options
- It offers full-screen and viewport mode
- Keyboard control for gallery open and closing modal
- Flexible close options and methods
Download link: https://github.com/humaan/Modaal
Less is a pre-processor that extends the support for CSS language. It allows developers to use techniques to make CSS more maintainable and extendable.
- It can freely download and use
- It offers higher-level style syntax, which allows web designers/developers to create advanced CSS
- It easily compiles into standard CSS, before the web browser begins rendering a web page
- Compiled CSS files can be uploaded to the production web server
Download link: http://lesscss.org/
- It makes developing applications efficient
- It comes with several built-in features that contain frontend libraries and NODE js based server
- It speeds up development time significantly on any project
- Live reloading feature allows refreshing only the required DOM elements
Download link: https://www.meteor.com/install
- QueryUI facilitates to make highly interactive web applications
- It is open source and free to use
- It provides a powerful theme mechanism
- It is very stable and maintenance friendly
- It offers an extensive browser support
- Helps to create great documentation
Download link: http://jquery.com/download/
GitHub is a web development platform inspired by the way you work. This tool allows developers to review code, manage projects, and build software.
- Coordinate easily, stay aligned, and get done with GitHub's project management tools
- It offers right tools for the job
- Easy documentation alongside quality coding
- Allows all code in a single place
- Developers can host their documentation directly from repositories
Download link: https://github.com/