GitHub is a code hosting tool that is widely used for version control. The tool allows developers to work together on multiple projects. However, it's GUI is could be very confusing.
So, here is a curated list of top 13 tools that can replace Github. This list includes commercial as well as an open-source tool with popular features and latest download link.
Buddy is a smart CI/CD tool for web developers designed to lower the entry threshold to DevOps. It uses delivery pipelines to build, test and deploy software. The pipelines are created with over 100 ready-to-use actions that can be arranged in any way – just like you build a house of bricks.
- 15-minute configuration in clear & telling UI/UX
- Lightning-fast deployments based on changesets
- Builds are run in isolated containers with cached dependencies
- Supports all popular languages, frameworks & task managers
- Dedicated roster of Docker/Kubernetes actions
- Integrates with AWS, Google, DigitalOcean, Azure, Shopify, WordPress & more
- Supports parallelism & YAML configuration
Bitbucket is version control tool developed by Atlassian. It is more than just Git code management. Bitbucket allows the team to plan projects, collaborate on code, test, and deploy.
- Free unlimited private repositories
- Best-in-class Trello & Jira integration
- Allows you to build quality software with code review
- Helps you to secure your workflow
- Bitbucket lets you build, test and deploy with integrated CI/CD
Download link: https://bitbucket.org/product
3) Source Forge
Sourceforge is an open source development and distribution platform. The tool is hosted on Apache, Allura, and supports many different projects. Users can select either Git, Mercurial as their version control system.
- Extensive worldwide mirror network
- Integrated Issue Tracking
- Allows browser-based code browsing
- You can download statistics by platform, over time, and by region.
- Supports forums, blogs, and mailing lists
Download link: https://sourceforge.net/
Gogs is another GitHub alternative which makes the easiest and faster way of setting up self-hosted Git services. With the help of this version control tool, you can perform independent binary distribution across various platforms.
- Gogs runs anywhere can compile for Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.
- Excellent performance and efficiency
- Gogs has minimal requirements which allow you to run on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi
Download link: https://gogs.io/
Gitbucket is a high extensibility open source tool for hosting source code for the software development process. It offers a set of tools and feature which allows developers to easily manage project code.
- Repository Viewer
- Pull Request
- Issue tracker
- Documentation, and wiki
- Offers plugin system to extend its core features
Download link: https://github.com/gitbucket/gitbucket/releases
6) AWS CodeCommit
Amazon's Git-based version control service is also an ideal for companies which are using other AWS services. With scalable cloud storage and no size limits.
- Offers easy Access and Integration
- AWS CodeCommit tool is designed for collaborative software development
- Allows helps you to transfer files to and from AWS CodeCommit using HTTPS or SSH
- It allows you to create as many repositories
Beanstalk is a secure, powerful and most reliable GitHub alternative tool. It helps you to manage source code repositories. It is designed to improve your development workflow.
- Support for Git and SVN hosting
- Helps you to deploy code fast and accurately
- Customize deployment configurations for each environment
- It allows for two types of feedback, Issues, and Discussions
Download link: https://beanstalkapp.com/pricing
Phabricator is a group of tools for developing software. It includes tools for code review, repository hosting, bug tracking, project management, etc.
- It is open source project so you can freely download and install it locally on your hardware
- If you are hosting this tool on your hardware and you are looking for assistance, then you can purchase a support
- Allows hosting for automatic updates, maintenance, and access to support
Download link: https://www.phacility.com/
Gitea is painless self-host git service. This community of code hosting solution written in Go and published under the MIT license.
- It runs anywhere can compile for Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.
- Easy to install as you need to run the binary for your platform. Or you can also ship Gitea with Vagrant or Docker
- Gitea need very minimal memory requirements and can run on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi
Download link: https://dl.gitea.io/gitea/
Apache Allura is an open source tool. It is a website which allows you to manage bug reports, source code repositories, discussions, etc.
- Helps you to manage multiple projects
- Source code management features allow working with Git, svn also merge requests, forks, etc.
- Mailing list or forum or both integrated approach for open discussions
- Provide wiki for managing documentation
- Most effective bug tracking system
Download link: https://allura.apache.org/
It an enterprise source code management, open source, and secure tool. It is also a unified tool for Mercurial, Git and Subversion. RhodeCode's Community Edition is free. However, if you pay for enterprise edition, you can integrate with enterprise tools, premium support, and more.
- Helps you to conduct code reviews, iterate and improve code quality
- Workflow Automation for Faster Interaction
- Helps you to manage software assets with enterprise level permission control
- Permission Management for Secure Software Development
Download link: https://rhodecode.com/download
CodeGiant is most intuitive and performant issue trackers tool available in the market. Users can select two project styles: active sprint or kanban work boards.
- Git repositories, the easy way
- Allows fatter software development
- Continuous integration, in a single workflow
- Publishable documentation
Download link: https://codegiant.io/pricing
13) Cloud Source Repositories
- Unlimited private Git repositories for free
- Catch issues early with built-in CI
- Design, develop, and securely manage your code
- Get powerful code search capabilities
Trac is a lightweight project management tool. It offers a minimalistic approach to web-based software project management. Trac allows you to manage your team's established and development process.
- Bug tracking
- Extend the standard functionality through plugins
- Manage team knowledge, using the wiki
- Task management and team collaboration
- Time tracking, cost reporting, and budgeting
Download link: https://trac.edgewall.org/