GitHub is a code hosting tool that is widely used for version control. The tool allows developers to work together on multiple projects. However, it’s GUI is could be very confusing.
So, here is a curated list of Top Source Code Repository Tools that can replace Github. This list includes commercial as well as an open-source tool with popular features and latest download link.
TaraVault is Inflectra’s free cloud-based source code management solution for enterprises and teams of all sizes.
- The ability to link requirements, tasks, defects, and issues to source code files and revisions for maximum traceability
- Integrated ALM and issue-tracking for your projects
- Source code browsing, inline code diffs, and pull request management
- Viewing of CI builds and verification of the code changes included in each CI build
- Git and Subversion repositories
- Additional plugins that extend TaraVault’s core functionality.
Bitbucket is version control tool developed by Atlassian. It is more than just Git code management. Bitbucket is one of the best alternatives to GitHub which allows the team to plan projects, collaborate on code, test, and deploy.
- Free unlimited private repositories
- Best-in-class Trello & Jira integration
- Allows you to build quality software with code review
- Helps you to secure your workflow
- Bitbucket lets you build, test and deploy with integrated CI/CD
Download link: https://bitbucket.org/product
SourceForge is an open source development and distribution platform. The tool is hosted on Apache, Allura, and supports many different projects. Users can select either Git, Mercurial as their version control system.
- Extensive worldwide mirror network
- Integrated Issue Tracking
- This GitHub alternative open source allows browser-based code browsing
- You can download statistics by platform, over time, and by region.
- This alternative to GitHub supports forums, blogs, and mailing lists
Download link: https://sourceforge.net/
Gogs is another GitHub alternative which makes the easiest and faster way of setting up self-hosted Git services. With the help of this version control tool, you can perform independent binary distribution across various platforms.
- Gogs runs anywhere can compile for Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.
- Excellent performance and efficiency
- Gogs has minimal requirements which allow you to run on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi
Download link: https://gogs.io/
Gitbucket is a high extensibility open source tool for hosting source code for the software development process. It offers a set of tools and feature which allows developers to easily manage project code.
- Repository Viewer
- Pull Request
- Issue tracker
- Documentation, and wiki
- Offers plugin system to extend its core features
Download link: https://github.com/gitbucket
6) AWS CodeCommit
Amazon’s Git-based version control service is also an ideal for companies which are using other AWS services. With scalable cloud storage and no size limits.
- Offers easy Access and Integration
- AWS CodeCommit tool is designed for collaborative software development
- Allows helps you to transfer files to and from AWS CodeCommit using HTTPS or SSH
- It allows you to create as many repositories
Download link: https://aws.amazon.com/codecommit/
Beanstalk is a secure, powerful and most reliable GitHub alternative tool. It helps you to manage source code repositories. It is designed to improve your development workflow.
- Support for Git and SVN hosting
- Helps you to deploy code fast and accurately
- Customize deployment configurations for each environment
- It allows for two types of feedback, Issues, and Discussions
Download link: https://beanstalkapp.com/
Phabricator is a group of tools for developing software builds and maintains by Phacility. It includes tools for code review, repository hosting, bug tracking, project management, etc.
- It is open source project so you can freely download and install it locally on your hardware
- If you are hosting this tool on your hardware and you are looking for assistance, then you can purchase a support
- This websites like GitHub allows hosting for automatic updates, maintenance, and access to support
Download link: https://www.phacility.com/phabricator/
Gitea is painless self-host git service. This community of code hosting solution written in Go and published under the MIT license.
- It runs anywhere can compile for Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.
- Easy to install as you need to run the binary for your platform. Or you can also ship Gitea with Vagrant or Docker
- Gitea need very minimal memory requirements and can run on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi
Download link: https://dl.gitea.io/gitea/
Apache Allura is an open source tool. It is a website which allows you to manage bug reports, source code repositories, discussions, etc.
- Helps you to manage multiple projects
- Source code management features allow working with Git, svn also merge requests, forks, etc.
- Mailing list or forum or both integrated approach for open discussions
- Provide wiki for managing documentation
- Most effective bug tracking system
Download link: https://allura.apache.org/
Rhodecode is an enterprise source code management, open source, and secure tool. It is also a unified tool for Mercurial, Git and Subversion. RhodeCode’s Community Edition is free. However, if you pay for enterprise edition, you can integrate with enterprise tools, premium support, and more.
- Helps you to conduct code reviews, iterate and improve code quality
- Workflow Automation for Faster Interaction
- Helps you to manage software assets with enterprise level permission control
- Permission Management for Secure Software Development
Download link: https://rhodecode.com/try-rhodecode
CodeGiant is most intuitive and performant issue trackers tool available in the market. Users can select two project styles: active sprint or kanban work boards.
- Git repositories, the easy way
- This website similar to GitHub allows fatter software development
- Continuous integration, in a single workflow
- Publishable documentation
Download link: https://codegiant.io/home
13) Cloud Source Repositories
Cloud Source Repositories is a cloud-based private Git repository tool developed by Google. Cloud Source Repositories is one of the best alternatives to GitHub, which allows design, develop, and securely manage your code.
- Unlimited private Git repositories for free
- Catch issues early with built-in CI
- Design, develop, and securely manage your code
- Get powerful code search capabilities
Download link: https://cloud.google.com/source-repositories
Trac is a lightweight project management tool. It offers a minimalistic approach to web-based software project management. Trac allows you to manage your team’s established and development process.
- Bug tracking
- Extend the standard functionality through plugins
- Manage team knowledge, using the wiki
- Task management and team collaboration
- Time tracking, cost reporting, and budgeting
Download link: https://trac.edgewall.org/
❓ What is a Source Code Repository?
A Source Code repository is a web hosting and file archive facility for the source code of the software, web pages, applications, and documentation. It allows programmers to access the source code either publically or privately. It also provides features like bug tracking, release management, mailing lists, and wiki-based project documentation.
🏅 Why should you use Source Code Repository?
Source Code Repository allows programmers to host their projects either publically or privately. It helps developers to submit patches of code in an efficient and organized way. It also enables multiple people to collaborate on the same source code project.
⚡ Which are the best GitHub Alternatives?
Following are some of the best GitHub alternatives:
👉 How to select a Source Code Repository?
Following are the factors you should consider while selecting a Source Code Repository:
- Version Control System support
- Software Release scheduling
- Integrations with third-party or external tools
- Size of data to be offered to store your projects
- The number of team members allows working on a single project
- Access control for team members
Top GitHub Alternative Websites
|TaraVault||• Enterprise-grade source code repository hosting
• Integrates with SpiraPlan and SpiraTeam ALM systems
• Access your code from anywhere
|Bitbucket||• Free unlimited private repositories
• Best-in-class Jira & Trello integration
• Integrate easily with your systems
|SourceForge||• Complete open-source platform
• Integrated Issue Tracking
• Extensive worldwide mirror network
|Gogs||• Easy to install
• Compile for: Windows, Mac, Linux, ARM, etc.
• Open source platform
|Gitbucket||• Easy installation
• High extensibility
• GitHub API compatibility