In order to log into Facebook using Python, you need to use Selenium (a web automation tool). Selenium can automate and control a browser and click, fill text, submit buttons that appear on various websites.
How to Login Facebook using Python
To log in to Facebook, we will use a Python Script that drives Selenium. The Selenium Python Script will
- Step 1) Open Firefox
- Step 2) Navigate to Facebook
- Step 3) Search & Enter the Email or Phone field & Enter Password
- Step 4) Click Login
Here is a quick video on the system will work.
Note: You can configure Selenium to use any browser like Chrome, Safari, IE, etc. In this tutorial, we will use FireFox
What do you need to Install?
- Ensure you have Selenium installed on your PC. Refer this link to learn to install Selenium
- Use this link to install Python for Selenium
Code to Login into Facebook using Python
from selenium import webdriver from selenium.webdriver.support.ui import WebDriverWait # Step 1) Open Firefox browser = webdriver.Firefox() # Step 2) Navigate to Facebook browser.get("http://www.facebook.com") # Step 3) Search & Enter the Email or Phone field & Enter Password username = browser.find_element_by_id("email") password = browser.find_element_by_id("pass") submit = browser.find_element_by_id("loginbutton") username.send_keys("firstname.lastname@example.org") password.send_keys("yourpassword") # Step 4) Click Login submit.click()
Explanation of the code
- Code line 1: From selenium module import webdriver
- Code line 2: From selenium module import Keys
- Code line 4: In this line, we are initializing “FireFox” by making an object of it.
- Code line 6: The “browser.get method” will nagivagte to a page given by the URL. WebDriver wait until the page has been completely loaded (that is, the “onload” occasion has let go), before returning control to your test or script.
- Code line 8: In this line, we are finding the element of the textbox where the “email” has to be written.
- Code line 9: In this line, we are finding the element of the textbox where the “password” has to be written.
- Code line 10: In this line, we are finding the submit button element which we need to click
- Code line 11: Now we are sending the values to the email section
- Code line 12: Sending values to the password section
- Code line 14: Click on the “Submit” button
The values of the username “guru99” and password entered.
The Facebook page will login with email and password. Page opened (see image below)