A good Test Case template maintains test artifact consistency for the test team and makes it easy for all stakeholders to understand the test cases. Writing test case in a standard format lessen the test effort and the error rate. Test cases format are more desirable in case if you are reviewing test case from experts.
The template chosen for your project depends on your test policy. Many organizations create test cases in Microsoft Excel while some in Microsoft Word. Some even use test management tools like HP ALM to document their test cases.
Click Below to download Test Case XLS
Irrespective of the test case documentation method chosen, any good test case template must have the following fields
|Test Case Field||Description|
|Test case ID:|| |
|Test Priority:|| |
|Name of the Module:|| |
|Test Designed by:|| |
|Date of test designed:|| |
|Test Executed by:|| |
|Date of the Test Execution:|| |
|Name or Test Title:|| |
|Description/Summary of Test:|| |
|Test Steps:|| |
|Test Data:|| |
|Expected Results:|| |
|Actual Result:|| |
|Status (Fail/Pass):|| |
Optionally you can have the following fields depending on the project requirements
- Link / Defect ID: Include the link for Defect or determine the defect number if test status is fail
- Keywords / Test Type: To determine tests based on test types this field can be used. Eg: Usability, functional, business rules, etc.
- Requirements: Requirements for which this test case is being written
- References / Attachments: It is useful for complicated test scenarios, give the actual path of the document or diagram
- Automation ( Yes/No): To track automation status when test cases are automated
- Custom Fields: Fields particular your project being tested due to client/project requirements.
Test Case Template
Click below to download Test Case Excel File
Click below to download Test Case Word File