Key Difference Between Modem and Router
- A Modem is a device that modulates an analog signal to translate digital information, whereas Router is a computer networking device that manages the data entering and leaving the network as well as data moving inside of the network.
- A modem operates on the Datalink layer, while Router can be operated at the Data Link Layer, Network Layer, and Physical Layer.
- Modem brings in the requested information from the internet to your network whereas router distributes the requested information to your PC or laptop.
- Modem does not help to examine the data packet whereas Router examines all data packets before forwarding it.
- A modem is used for accessing the internet as it connects your computer to the ISP and Router is used to access the internet without using a modem.
What is Modem?
A Modem (modulator-demodulator) is a device that modulates an analog signal to digital information. It also decodes carrier signals to demodulate the transmitted information. The main aim of the modem is to produce a signal that can be transmitted easily and decoded to reproduce the digital data in its original form. Modems are also used for transmitting analog signals, from Light Emitting Diodes (LED) to radio.
What is Router?
Router is a computer networking device that serves two primary functions: (1) create and maintain a local area network and (2) manage the data entering and leaving the network as well as data moving inside of the network. It also helps you to handle multiple networks and routes network traffic between them. In your home network, your router has one connection to the Internet and one connection to your private local network. Moreover, most routers also contain built-in switches that allow you to connect multiple wired devices.
Types of Modems
Below are the main types of Modem:
Dial-up Modem: This type of modem are using the analog telephone line to connect two end devices like two personal computers. It offers an interface between the digital system and an analog system. It modulates the binary data into the carrier signal on the telephone line.
DSL Modem: DSL model uses twisted pair cable for transmission of signals. It will radiate at higher frequencies and cover more distance than the dial-up modems. It offers to speed up to 2 Mbps and even more, which depends upon the type and configuration.
Cable Modem: This type of modem is designed in a way to carry radio and television signals. It can be configured internally/ externally with the television line to convert the signals into the compatible mode.
Mobile Broadband Modems: This type of modem makes use of mobile telephone lines such as GRPS, Wi-Max, UMTS, etc. It is also called wireless modems. They come built-in with a PC or a laptop. They can also be inserted inside the USB port for internet access.
Half Duplex Modem: This type of modem allows you to transmit a signal in one direction at one time. So, if the modem is receiving the incoming signal, then it displays indication light to the sending point to stop transmitting data till the time it completes the process of receiving signals.
Full Duplex Modem: This type of modem permits transmission in both directions at the same interval of time. These types of modems have two carriers on the line.
Four Wire Modem: It is a separate pair of wires that is used for the incoming and outgoing carrier. Therefore, the same frequency can be used for transmission at both ends.
Two-Wire Modem: This type of modem uses a pair of wires for both incoming and outgoing carriers. However, if we are using the half-duplex mode, then the same frequency can be used for transmission as data flows in the same direction only at a time.
Types of Router
Here are the types of Router:
A wireless router combines multiple base stations (wireless access points) as well as a number of wired LAN switches.
A modem router helps to connect more than one computer to a single DSL line for Internet access. This type of router provides the Network Address Translation (NAT), which is required to support several computers.
Brouter is a network device that works as a bridge and as a router. This router allows interfaces with an ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) network.
Distribution routers aggregate traffic from multiple access routers, which is used for enforcing the quality of service across a WAN.
A core router is a router designed to operate in the Internet backbone, or core.
Functions of Modem
Function to be performed at the transmitting end:
- Convert the data (0s and 1 s) into an appropriate analog signal.
- Perform the line control and signaling to other ends of a phone line.
- Send the dialing signal if the modem is designed to dial without the presence of a user.
- Offer protection against line overload and other problems.
Function to be performed at the receiving end:
- Receiving the analog signal and demodulate them
- Put the demodulate into RS-232 format connect to RS-232 interface.
- Perform line signaling and control.
- Have protection against the overload problem.
Functions of Router
- Creates a local area network(LAN).
- It allows you to split your internet connection to all of your devices.
- Connect different media/devices with each other
- Run a firewall.
- The routers determine where to send information from one computer to another
- Packet Forwarding, Switching and filtering.
- Router also makes sure that information does make it to the intended destination.
- Connect to a VPN
How Modem Works?
The modem connects with ISP that offers either cable or DSL Internet service. These copper wires travel from your property to a neighborhood node, and to your service provider, which may be several miles away. The device sends and receives an electrical signal with the help of wires, using a few MHz.
How Router Works?
A router connects multiple networks and tracks network traffic between them. It has one connection to the internet and one connection to your private local network.
Moreover, many routers also contain built-in switches that allow you to connect multiple wired devices. Many routers also contain wireless radios that let you connect Wi-Fi devices.
Difference between Modem and Router
Here are the differences between Modem and Router:
|A Modem modulates and demodulates signals.||The router is a networking device that allows you to associate various networks with each other for LAN and WAN networks.|
|It is used for accessing the Internet as it connects your computer to the ISP.||You can access the Internet without the need for a modem.|
|The modem operates on the Datalink layer.||Router can be operated at the Data Link Layer, Network Layer, and Physical Layer.|
|The modem does not help to examine the data packet. Therefore, the security threat is always there.||Router examines all data packet before forwarding it, that helps to identify a threat.|
|It is placed between a telephone line and a router or directly to the computer.||It is placed between a computer network and modem.|
Advantages of Modem
Here are the pros/advantages of Modem:
- More useful in connecting LAN with the Internet
- Speed depends on the cost
- The modem is the most widely used data communication roadway.
Disadvantages of Modem
Here are some drawbacks/cons of Modem:
- Slow speed when compared to the hub.
- Acts as an interface between LAN and Internet. It does not offer any traffic maintenance.
- Main drawback of a modem is speed. If you spend more money, you get more speed.
Advantages of Router
Here are some advantages of Router:
- It helps to share a network connection with multiple machines that increases productivity.
- A router allows delivering the packets of data in an organized way, which helps to lower the data load.
- Router enables a steady and reliable connection between network hosts.
- Routers make use of the alternative parts in case the main part fails to transfer data packets.
Disadvantages of Router
Here are the cons/drawbacks of the Router:
- Connections can become slow when multiple computers are using a network. This situation is described as a connection wait.
- A router helps multiple computers to share the same network, which may lower the speed.