Data modeling is a method of creating a data model for the data to be stored in a database. It conceptually represents data objects, the associations between different data objects, and the rules.
Data design tools help you to create a database structure from diagrams, and thereby it becomes easier to form a perfect data structure as per your need. Following is a handpicked list of Top Data Modeling Tools, with popular features and latest download links. The list contains both open-source(free) and commercial(paid) software.
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM offers a range of business business-specific add-ons for creating Infographics, diagrams, data visualization, and flowcharts for the business process model.
- ConceptDraw DIAGRAM v12 provides robust and comprehensive drawing tools.
- Helps you to empower communication processes and improve your presentation techniques.
- You can use very important business metrics and track with live object technology.
DbSchema is a visual database designer & manager for any SQL, NoSQL or Cloud database. The tool enables you to design & interact with the database schema, create comprehensive documentation and reports, work offline, synchronize the schema with the database, and so much more.
- Interactive Layouts
- Relational Data Browse
- Visual Query Builder
- Schema Synchronization
- HTML5 Documentation
- Random Data Generator
- Data Loader
- Forms & Reports
- SQL Editor with autocompletion
3) Erwin Data Modeler
Erwin is a data modeling tool which is used to create logical, physical, and conceptual data models. It helps you to create the actual database from the physical model.
- It allows you to model any data from anywhere.
- It provides centralize model management and collaboration to business and technical user.
- The tool uses enterprise data standards to drive data quality.
- Erwin Data Modeler has easy to use graphical environment.
- It automatically compares the model and database.
- Efficiently synchronize forward as well as reverse engineering of data definition code.
- It allows you to extract data from CRM, ERP, etc. for accurate modeling.
Download Link: https://erwin.com/products/erwin-data-modeler/
Archi is a cost-effective solution to enterprise architects and modelers. It supports analysis, description, and visualization of architecture across business domains.
- You can quickly and intuitively create all ArchiMate elements in ArchiMate views.
- The tool provides dynamic viewpoints that allow you to change the ArchiMate viewpoint at any time.
- It has hints view that gives you the element information at your fingertips.
- This software displays the selected model element and all its relationships with other model elements in a radial-tree graphic.
- It allows you to brainstorm your ideas.
- The tool enables you to create and edit your canvas.
Download Link: https://www.archimatetool.com/
5) SQL DBM
SqlDBM tool provides an easy way to design your database on any browser, working away without the need for any other database engine or database modeling tools or apps.
- You can manage large and small databases and data models easily.
- It allows you to import an existing database schema.
- With this software, you can create a physical model or ERD of your database, and add database, tables, their column, and relationships.
Download Link: https://sqldbm.com/Home/
6) Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect
Sparx system is a diagram design tool for modeling documenting, building, and maintaining object-oriented features.
- Helps you for effective project management
- It provides a high-performance model repository
- Offers End-to-end traceability
- Powerful document generation
Download Link: https://sparxsystems.com/
7) Toad Data Modeler
Toad is a data modeling tool that maximizes productivity using extensive automation, intuitive workflows, and built-in expertise. This software manages code change and promotes the highest levels of quality.
- Access key data quickly for in-place analysis and single-click export to an Excel instance
- It can easily identify differences by comparing and syncing servers, data, and schemas.
- Rollback transactions directly from the transaction log without need to restore from a backup
- Get powerful query tuning capabilities
- Execute scripts and T-SQL snippets for numerous instances and servers
- Automate repetitive processes like data and schema comparisons
- Get free performance health checks benchmarked from the community
- Perform application performance tuning with automated query rewrites and optimization
Download Link: https://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-data-modeler
PgModeler is an open-source tool for creating and editing database models with an intuitive interface. This tool supports the creation of the most basic object like a single column, and the user defines operators, functions, and language.
- PgModeler has an additional feature that supports geospatial data types and translatable user interface.
- It automatically generates column and constraints.
- The tool uses a reverse engineering process to create a reliable model based upon an existing database.
- Provides complete access to its source code as well to the contents of any generated file.
- You can restore previous work in case of failure.
- It has a validation feature that produces automatically error-free database model.
- You can customize the majority of its features.
- Synchronize both model and database using SQL scripts
- It automates processes with Command Line Interface (CLI).
- It allows you to report models to SQL file, PNG file, or directly to PostgreSQL server.
Download Link: https://pgmodeler.io/
9) DeZign for Databases
Dezign tool allows you to visualize your data structures to create new database, understand your existing database.
- It provides easy to use and robust data modeling tool for developers.
- With this tool, you can visually make Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD).
- Navigate large diagram with Pan and Zoom window.
- It supports a range of data modeling techniques.
Download Link: https://www.datanamic.com/dezign/
GenMyModel began data modeling software that supports ArchiMate (architecture modeling language) and BPMN (Business Process Model and Notation). It has a centralized repository model which enable easy and simultaneously models collaboration.
- It helps you to combine the power of desktop modeling tools with a modern web solution.
- Share your knowledge with versioning and access right management.
- Allows you to directly import or export as PDF documents.
- Useful for presentations to management and project stakeholders.
Download Link: https://www.genmymodel.com/
11) Valentina Studio
Valentina Studio is a tool to create, administer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite databases, and MariaDB for free. With this tool, you can add/ remove groups, users, manage rights see live logs and run diagnostics.
- The tool offers schema editing & diagramming.
- It provides local Valentina forms to work with your data.
- Design view and print Valentina reports.
- Manage SQL queries.
- You can diagnose, clone, defragment, reindex, dump, and compress data.
Download Link: https://www.valentina-db.com/en/valentina-studio-overview
ER/Studio is a data modeling software, for documenting critical data element, objects, attributes, their interactions in data models. With this tool, you can define conceptual and business processes which represent business goals.
- The tool allows you to implement naming standards template to any model, attributes, and entities.
- You can define business-area specific glossary teams to reflect the corporate structure and bind it to data models.
- ER/Studio enable you to share models and data across the enterprise.
- IDERA offers Safyr solutions to analyzes the complex structures of CRM or ERP software.
Download Link: https://www.idera.com/er-studio-enterprise-data-modeling-and-architecture-tools
13) Software Ideas Modeler
Software Ideas Modeler is a smart diagram software with modeling languages like UML, BPMN, SysML, and ArchiMate, user stories, flowcharts, and support for wireframe.
- Easy Diagramming and Layout
- Document your software
- Easy to identify and describe use cases.
- The tool provides a user interface diagram, that is perfect for drawing mock-ups, drafts of your application forms and wireframes.
Download Link: https://www.softwareideas.net/
14) Visible Analyst
Visible Analyst software enables you to design e-business applications, develop a data warehouse, or integrate legacy systems with new enterprise applications. This tool makes data analytics process simple.
- It has powerful modeling capabilities.
- You can generate schema for SQL and XML.
- This software offers reverse and forward database engineering.
- It helps you to store and document data, processes, and objects that can be shared by application developers throughout the company.
Download Link: http://www.visiblesystemscorp.com/Products/Analyst/index.htm
15) Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler
Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler software which increases productivity and simplifies numerous data modeling tasks.
- You can create, edit, relational, multi-dimensional, and data type models.
- It has forward as well as reverse engineering capabilities.
- The tool supports collaborative development through source code control.
- It can be used in traditional and cloud environments.
Download Link: https://www.oracle.com/in/database/technologies/appdev/datamodeler.html
16) IBM InfoSphere Data Architect
IBM InfoSphere Data Architect is a data modeling solution that simplifies and accelerate data integration design for business intelligence and statistics. The tool helps to align services, applications, data architectures, and processes.
- The tool provides rapid and easy development.
- It allows you to understand data assets to help improve efficiency and reduce time to market.
- InfoSphere Data Architect offers team collaboration and integration.
- You can import or export custom mapping.
- The tool automatically discovers the structure of heterogeneous data sources by analyzing metadata.
- manage source control through Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS).
- You can create physical and logical data models.
- Allows integration with related products like data studio and query workload tuner.
It is a database design and synchronization application which supports cross-platform and cross-database. You can use this tool to edit the database directly in the diagram you have created.
- It allows you to choose ER notations.
- You can generate HTML document.
- It has a navigator window to work with a large diagram.
- You can add columns quickly and effortlessly.
- The tool generates update DDL SQL scripts with just one mouse click.
- Provides reverse engineering inexisting database.
- Supports Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, and PostgreSQL with a single license.
- SQL editor highlight syntax and automatically complete the code written in the program.
Download Link: http://www.dbwrench.com/
18) DTM Data Modeler
DTM Data Modeler is a data management software program designed for database developers which support forward as well as reverse engineering. This tool allows you to work with logical and physical data models.
- It provides known entity-relationship modeling notation.
- It has editors for stored procedures, triggers, and indexes.
- You can work with the DB2 database and Microsoft SQL Server database.
- The tool supports IDAPI, ODBC, Oracle, or OLE DB interface.
- DTM Data Modeler tool supports Windows XP/Vista/7, server 2003,2008/2012/2016.
Download Link: http://www.sqledit.com/dm/index.html
DbDesigner.net is online Database Schema Design and Modeling Tool. That allows you to create a database without wiring single SQL code.
- It has user-friendly UI for Modeling
- It is a reliable and fast DB design software
- It allows you to import an existing database or start from scratch.
- The tool provides team collaboration & sharing of projects within your organization.
Download Link: https://www.dbdesigner.net/
A magic draw is the first comprehensive version for professional modeling. Modern design and clear layout set this desktop app apart from the rest a proprietary for high demands.
- Constantly added new features based on the feedback given by the users
- Floating licenses help you to save significantly if you have multiple developers that you need to use MagicDraw for a specific period of time.
- Once purchased you can run the software in various applications.
- Magic draw expert team offer 24 hours free support.
- The learning is straightforward, and the learning period is short.
Download Link: https://www.nomagic.com/products/magicdraw