Data modeling is a method of creating a data model for the data to be stored in a database. It conceptually represents data objects, the associations between different data objects, and the rules.
Data design tools help you to create a database structure from diagrams, and thereby it becomes easier to form a perfect data structure as per your need. Following is a handpicked list of Top Data Modeling Tools, with popular features and latest download links. The list contains both open-source(free) and commercial(paid) software.
Best Database Modeling Tools & Software
|ER/Studio||Windows, Linux, Mac||Learn More|
|DbSchema||Windows, Linux, Mac||Learn More|
|ConceptDraw||Windows, Linux, Mac||Learn More|
|Erwin||Windows, Linux, Mac||Learn More|
ER/Studio is a data modeling software that enables you to efficiently catalog your current data assets and sources across different platforms, build and share data models, and track end-to-end data lineage. With ER/Studio, organizations can:
- Collaborate on and build enterprise data models as entity relationship diagrams (ERD)
- Create a data catalog to support data governance initiatives and seamless metadata management
- Discover and document your existing data assets and data lineage
- Outline business terms, business concepts, and the relationships between them with robust business glossary capabilities
- Leverage Safyr solutions to analyze the complex structures of CRM or ERP software
DbSchema is a visual database designer & manager for any SQL, NoSQL, or Cloud database. The tool enables you to visually design & interact with the database schema, design the schema in a team and deploy it on multiple databases, generate HTML5 diagram documentation, visually explore the data and build queries, and so much more.
- Design schema in the team and deploy on multiple databases
- Compare different versions of the schema, generate migration scripts
- HTML5 Documentation , Interactive Diagrams, Relational Data Explorer & Visual Query Builder
- Schema Synchronization, Random Data Generator, Data Loader, Database Reports
- SQL Editor with autocompletion
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM offers a range of business business-specific add-ons for creating Infographics, diagrams, data visualization, and flowcharts for the business process model.
- ConceptDraw DIAGRAM v12 provides robust and comprehensive drawing tools.
- Helps you to empower communication processes and improve your presentation techniques.
- You can use very important business metrics and track with live object technology.
Download Link: https://www.conceptdraw.com/
#4) Erwin Data Modeler
Erwin is a data modeling tool which is used to create logical, physical, and conceptual data models. It is one of the best data modelling tools that helps you to create the actual database from the physical model.
- It allows you to model any data from anywhere.
- It provides centralize model management and collaboration to business and technical user.
- The tool uses enterprise data standards to drive data quality.
- Erwin Data Modeler has easy to use graphical environment.
- It automatically compares the model and database.
- Efficiently synchronize forward as well as reverse engineering of data definition code.
- It allows you to extract data from CRM, ERP, etc. for accurate modeling.
Download Link: https://erwin.com/products/erwin-data-modeler/
Archi is a cost-effective solution to enterprise architects and modelers. It supports analysis, description, and visualization of architecture across business domains.
- You can quickly and intuitively create all ArchiMate elements in ArchiMate views.
- The tool provides dynamic viewpoints that allow you to change the ArchiMate viewpoint at any time.
- It has hints view that gives you the element information at your fingertips.
- This software displays the selected model element and all its relationships with other model elements in a radial-tree graphic.
- This data modelling tool allows you to brainstorm your ideas.
- The tool enables you to create and edit your canvas.
Download Link: https://www.archimatetool.com/
#6) Moon Modeler
Moon Modeler is a data modeling tool for both relational and NoSQL databases. Supported platforms include MongoDB, PostgreSQL, MySQL, GraphQL and others.
- Entity-relationship diagrams
- Visualization of nested structures
- Support for JSON/GraphQL modeling
- Reverse engineering from existing databases
- Forward engineering and SQL script generation
- Simple to use and user-friendly interface
- Runs on Windows, MacOS and Linux
#7) SQL DBM
SqlDBM tool provides an easy way to design your database on any browser, working away without the need for any other database engine or database modeling tools or apps.
- You can manage large and small databases and data models easily.
- It allows you to import an existing database schema.
- With this software, you can create a physical model or ERD of your database, and add database, tables, their column, and relationships.
Download Link: https://sqldbm.com/Home/
#8) Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect
Sparx system is a diagram design tool for modeling documenting, building, and maintaining object-oriented features.
- Helps you for effective project management
- It provides a high-performance model repository
- Offers End-to-end traceability
- Powerful document generation
Download Link: https://sparxsystems.com/
#9) Toad Data Modeler
Toad is a data modeling tool that maximizes productivity using extensive automation, intuitive workflows, and built-in expertise. This software manages code change and promotes the highest levels of quality.
- Access key data quickly for in-place analysis and single-click export to an Excel instance
- It can easily identify differences by comparing and syncing servers, data, and schemas.
- Rollback transactions directly from the transaction log without need to restore from a backup
- Get powerful query tuning capabilities
- Execute scripts and T-SQL snippets for numerous instances and servers
- Automate repetitive processes like data and schema comparisons
- Get free performance health checks benchmarked from the community
- Perform application performance tuning with automated query rewrites and optimization
Download Link: https://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-data-modeler
PgModeler is an open-source tool for creating and editing database models with an intuitive interface. This tool supports the creation of the most basic object like a single column, and the user defines operators, functions, and language.
- PgModeler has an additional feature that supports geospatial data types and translatable user interface.
- It is one of the best open source data modeling tools that automatically generates column and constraints.
- The tool uses a reverse engineering process to create a reliable model based upon an existing database.
- Provides complete access to its source code as well to the contents of any generated file.
- You can restore previous work in case of failure.
- It has a validation feature that produces automatically error-free database model.
- You can customize the majority of its features.
- Synchronize both model and database using SQL scripts
- It automates processes with Command Line Interface (CLI).
- It allows you to report models to SQL file, PNG file, or directly to PostgreSQL server.
Download Link: https://pgmodeler.io/
#11) DeZign for Databases
Dezign tool allows you to visualize your data structures to create new database, understand your existing database.
- It provides easy to use and robust data modeling tool for developers.
- With this tool, you can visually make Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD).
- Navigate large diagram with Pan and Zoom window.
- It supports a range of data modeling techniques.
Download Link: https://www.datanamic.com/dezign/
GenMyModel began data modeling software that supports ArchiMate (architecture modeling language) and BPMN (Business Process Model and Notation). It has a centralized repository model which enable easy and simultaneously models collaboration.
- It helps you to combine the power of desktop modeling tools with a modern web solution.
- Share your knowledge with versioning and access right management.
- Allows you to directly import or export as PDF documents.
- Useful for presentations to management and project stakeholders.
Download Link: https://www.genmymodel.com/
#13) Valentina Studio
Valentina Studio is a tool to create, administer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite databases, and MariaDB for free. With this tool, you can add/ remove groups, users, manage rights see live logs and run diagnostics.
- The tool offers schema editing & diagramming.
- It provides local Valentina forms to work with your data.
- Design view and print Valentina reports.
- Manage SQL queries.
- You can diagnose, clone, defragment, reindex, dump, and compress data.
Download Link: https://www.valentina-db.com/en/valentina-studio-overview
#14) Software Ideas Modeler
Software Ideas Modeler is a smart diagram software with modeling languages like UML, BPMN, SysML, and ArchiMate, user stories, flowcharts, and support for wireframe.
- Easy Diagramming and Layout
- Document your software
- Easy to identify and describe use cases.
- The tool provides a user interface diagram, that is perfect for drawing mock-ups, drafts of your application forms and wireframes.
Download Link: https://www.softwareideas.net/
#15) Visible Analyst
Visible Analyst software enables you to design e-business applications, develop a data warehouse, or integrate legacy systems with new enterprise applications. This tool makes data analytics process simple.
- It has powerful modeling capabilities.
- You can generate schema for SQL and XML.
- This database modeling tool offers reverse and forward database engineering.
- It helps you to store and document data, processes, and objects that can be shared by application developers throughout the company.
Download Link: http://www.visiblesystemscorp.com/Products/Analyst/index.htm
#16) Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler
Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler software which increases productivity and simplifies numerous data modeling tasks.
- You can create, edit, relational, multi-dimensional, and data type models.
- It has forward as well as reverse engineering capabilities.
- The tool supports collaborative development through source code control.
- It is one of the best free data modeling tools that can be used in traditional and cloud environments.
#17) IBM InfoSphere Data Architect
IBM InfoSphere Data Architect is a data modeling solution that simplifies and accelerate data integration design for business intelligence and statistics. It is one of the best data modeling software that helps to align services, applications, data architectures, and processes.
- The tool provides rapid and easy development.
- It allows you to understand data assets to help improve efficiency and reduce time to market.
- InfoSphere Data Architect offers team collaboration and integration.
- You can import or export custom mapping.
- The tool automatically discovers the structure of heterogeneous data sources by analyzing metadata.
- manage source control through Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS).
- You can create physical and logical data models.
- Allows integration with related products like data studio and query workload tuner.
It is a database design and synchronization application which supports cross-platform and cross-database. You can use this tool to edit the database directly in the diagram you have created.
- It allows you to choose ER notations.
- You can generate HTML document.
- This data modelling software has a navigator window to work with a large diagram.
- You can add columns quickly and effortlessly.
- The tool generates update DDL SQL scripts with just one mouse click.
- Provides reverse engineering inexisting database.
- Supports Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, and PostgreSQL with a single license.
- SQL editor highlight syntax and automatically complete the code written in the program.
Download Link: http://www.dbwrench.com/
#19) DTM Data Modeler
DTM Data Modeler is a data management software program designed for database developers which support forward as well as reverse engineering. This tool allows you to work with logical and physical data models.
- It provides known entity-relationship modeling notation.
- It has editors for stored procedures, triggers, and indexes.
- You can work with the DB2 database and Microsoft SQL Server database.
- This tool supports IDAPI, ODBC, Oracle, or OLE DB interface.
- DTM Data Modeler tool supports Windows XP/Vista/7, server 2003,2008/2012/2016.
Download Link: http://www.sqledit.com/dm/index.html
DbDesigner.net is online Database Schema Design and Modeling Tool. That allows you to create a database without wiring single SQL code.
- It has user-friendly UI for Modeling
- It is a reliable and fast DB design software
- It allows you to import an existing database or start from scratch.
- The tool provides team collaboration & sharing of projects within your organization.
Download Link: https://www.dbdesigner.net/
A magic draw is the first comprehensive version for professional modeling. Modern design and clear layout set this desktop app apart from the rest a proprietary for high demands.
- Constantly added new features based on the feedback given by the users
- Floating licenses help you to save significantly if you have multiple developers that you need to use MagicDraw for a specific period of time.
- Once purchased you can run the software in various applications.
- Magic draw expert team offer 24 hours free support.
- The learning is straightforward, and the learning period is short.
Download Link: https://www.nomagic.com/products/magicdraw
❓ What is Data Modeling?
Data Modelling is a process of creating data models for the data to be stored in a database. It is a conceptual representation of Data objects, associations between different data objects, and the rules. Data modeling helps visualize data and enforces business rules, regulatory compliances, and government policies on the data. Data Modeling ensures consistency in naming conventions, default values, semantics, and security while ensuring the quality of the data.
💻 Which are the Best Data Modeling Tools?
Below are some of the best data modeling tools:
❗ What are Data Modeling Tools?
Data Modeling tools are the software applications that help you to create database structures from diagrams, and thereby it becomes easier to form a perfect data structure as per your need. These tools allow users to create business-specific infographics, diagrams, data visualizations, and flowcharts.
✅ Which factors should you consider while selecting the Database Modeling Tool?
You should consider the following factors while selecting a database modeling tool:
- User Interface and Navigation
- Functionalities offered
- Visualization and reporting features
- Integration with other tools
- Collaboration features