What is a dropped pin in Google Maps?
Google Maps stands out as one of the most helpful applications in phones used to get a pin drop location. A Google Maps pin is a patented inverted-drop-shaped icon that labels locations on Google Maps. So, when you mark a Google Maps location, it’s called “dropping a pin.” The pin is usually red and unique compared to a mobile device’s other features on the map. On the desktop, it appears as a small gray pin.
Here are the different methods to drop a pin on maps on your device:
How to Drop a Pin in Google Maps on Android
Follow these simple steps to automatically drop a pin in Google Maps on Android:
Step 1) Locate the Google Maps app on your mobile device.
Note: The Google Maps application comes pre-installed on most phones. If the application is not there, you can download it from the Google play store by searching “Google Maps” on the play store search bar.
Tips: In some android devices, the label is “Maps” and has an inverted teardrop as its icon.
Step 2) Select the find my location icon.
Step 3) Wait for a blue Dot to appear on your Map
Step 4) Long press to automatically get a dropped pin.
Step 5) If the location is far from where you are currently, type the name you’re looking for on the top search bar.
Note: You can select the destination from the suggestions. Keep on typing to narrow down your search suggestions.
Step 6) Once you select a place, you will get a dropped pin automatically on the selected location.
How to manually drop a pin on Google Maps mobile app on Android
The easiest way to manually locate a place on your mobile device without an address is to relate it to known locations. It’s helpful to have adequate knowledge of the place in terms of nearby physical features, shops, landmarks, buildings, etc.
Here are the steps to manually drop a Google Maps pin on Android:
Step 1) Open the Maps application and search for the closest place you know that is near the intended location.
Step 2) Zoom in to view finer details
Note: You can then drag the map left, right, up, or down to look for the location you want.
Step 3) Switch between the default look, satellite view, and terrain view to get a better location judgment.
Tips: Google Maps also has options for getting finer map details such as street view, traffic, public transit, or 3D view that can be helpful when locating an unaddressed place.
Step 4) Identify the specific place you are searching for
Step 5) Long press your phone screen for about 3-5 seconds till a red teardrop pin appears
The address or location will pop up in an info box at the bottom. You can confirm using gps coordinates.
How to drop a Google map pin on iOS
Obtaining a dropped pin in Google Maps on iOS is similar to the process on Android.
Here are steps to drop a Google map pin on iOS:
Step 1) Open the Google Maps mobile app by tapping the teardrop icon
Step 2) Search for an address using the search bar or zoom in to find the location you need.
Step 3) Tap this location and hold for 3-5 seconds to drop the pin
Tips: To fine-tune the location, you can manually zoom in and scroll until you find the exact location.
How to Drop a Pin on Google Maps on Desktop
The desktop version of Maps is only accessible via a browser. Here’s how to drop the pin on the Google map:
Step 1) Open your favorite browser and type in Google Maps. Select the first search result which leads you to Google Maps’ website.
Step 2) If you want to drop a pin on a known location, you can use the search bar to locate the place.
Tips: If the place is unknown, scroll and zoom in and out to search for it. Alternatively, if the location you want to drop a pin on is your current location, turn on location access for your pc and allow Google Maps to locate your device.
Step 3) Left click the location you want, and a small gray icon will appear on your selection.
Tip: An additional information box will also pop at the bottom with options to share, view the street, or find directions.
How to drop multiple pins on Google Maps
You can only drop one pin on mobile devices. Dropping multiple pins is only possible on the Maps desktop version since you have to create your map from scratch. It’s helpful when you have multiple destinations within a single trip.
Here are steps to drop multiple pins on Google Maps:
Step 1) Open the Google Maps homepage
Step 2) Select the main menu icon on the top left corner of the screen. Tap the “Your places” button.
Step 3) Locate the Maps tab under your saved places and Click “Create Map”
Step 4) Search for the new locations you want to include on your map and save them. In the popup that appears, select add to map to save.
Tips: It is easier and faster to get the pin dropped if you have a list written down.
Step 5) Alternatively, you can select the pin icon at the top and drop it in an unknown location.
Note: You can label the place and add it to your map.
Step 6) To view these multiple pins, tap the preview button. The pins in the map view are blue and distinct from the red or gray icon.
How to remove a dropped Google map pin
- To remove a dropped pin location on an android device or iOS, tap a different portion of your phone or computer’s screen.
- The pinned location disappears, allowing you to add other locations.
- To remove dropped pins on Maps, Open a map view, select individual pins and delete or remove the entire map from your saved lists.
Alternatives to Google map pins
Alternative apps can also be used in place of Google Maps. Here are some of them:
Mapquest offers both a web-based tool and a mobile app. It has great integrations to help you quickly find hotels and make reservations. It additionally has an extra tool for estimating fuel costs.
2) Apple Maps
Apple Maps are available on iOS devices. It has features similar to Google Maps. You can also view more detailed views of buildings, landmarks, and districts. There are also trees added to reflect the actual landscape on the ground.
Waze is a refined real time road assistant. Unlike traditional GPS, Waze constantly analyzes road conditions and informs you midway through your journey to get you to your destination as fast as possible.
When to use a dropped Google Map pin
Here’s when to use a dropped Google map pin:
- Quickly get directions: Dropping a Google Maps pin makes it easier and faster to locate your destination on a map and obtain directions as roads and services along your route.
- View estimated arrival time: Google Maps on android, iOS, and desktop automatically gives you the length of your journey.
- Gain traffic information. Tapping the dropped pin can give you options to check the amount of traffic in an area.
- Share pin location with friends and family: After dropping pins, you can share a location without hassle using a shared map feature.
- Pin your frequent trips: If you frequently travel to unknown destinations, you can use Google Maps pin location to save your route and add landmarks.
- A Google Maps pin is a patented inverted-drop-shaped icon that labels locations on the Google map app.
- Dropping a pin is as simple as clicking your screen on a computer or tapping your phone.
- To get a pin drop location, open the map application and hold the screen.
- You can drop a pin on Google Maps on iOS, open the Maps application and hold the screen at the location you want to drop pins.
- To drop a pin on a desktop, visit the Google Maps website using a browser and click to drop the pin.
- You can scroll left, right, up, and down, or zoom in and out on Google Maps to increase the details on the map to help you add a pin to Google Maps.