Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) is used for small file transfers and does not require any authentication. TFTP is used to backup network, transfer files, and boot PCs without need of a disk. It uses UDP, which does not have error checking as TCP does. TFTP servers are mostly used in devices like mobile phones and routers.
Following is a handpicked list of TFTP programs, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source(free) and commercial(paid) software.
Best TFTP server
|Name||IPv4/IPv6||File Size Limit||Link|
|SolarWinds Free TFTP server||IPv4||4 GB||Learn More|
|Spiceworks TFTP server||IPv4||33 MB||Learn More|
|Progress WhatsUp TFTP Server||IPv4||4 GB||Learn More|
SolarWinds provides a free TFTP server for Windows that offers basic functionalities like IP-range lockdown, etc. It can transfer files up to 4GB in size. This server management service is easier to manage with native Windows tools.
- Suitable for transferring device configuration images
- Communicates with several devices simultaneously
- It offers concurrent transfers from multiple devices and runs as a Windows service.
- Let’s you authorize a specific IP address or a range of IPs altogether.
- Easy to use TFTP software with backup network devices and configurations.
- Offers highly scalable multi-user administration and advanced device config backup.
- Free TFTP server which runs on Windows easily
2) Spiceworks TFTP server
Spiceworks is a complete IT management tool that provides its users with free TFTP servers to make their work easy.
This TFTP software is one of the best TFTP servers developed for IT professionals to track their network device config. It also enables you to backup and view all your config in one place.
- Allows you to compare current network configration with backups.
- These TFTP servers can be used for configuration image transfers
- Helps you to push out firmware updates in the background.
- Free and in-built features of Spiceworks.
3) Progress WhatsUp TFTP Server
WhatsUp Gold is one of the best TFTP servers, which helps save you time while doing networking. This service-based tool allows you to securely transfer files across the network.
- It offers a simple transfer of system configuration.
- Sturdy, clean, and attractive GUI based interface.
- It helps you to save time and effort when uploading and downloading the file.
- Compatible with the older versions of Windows such as XP, Vista, and others.
4) TFTP Desktop Server
TFTP desktop server is the best solution for updating routers, OS, image transfer, and remote booting. It also allows you to configure multiple devices in a single network.
- Real-time TFTP graph transfer helps you to work across the network.
- Unlimited file sizes: no 16/32MB file size limitation
- Graphs TFTP transfers in real-time
- Directory and IP address-based security
- Secured and locked TFTP root folder
- It offers security based on the directory as well as the IP address.
- Extremely fast file transfers
WinAgents provides a fully recognized TFTP server. It is a specially built tool to work consistently in the background. It helps you to create stock copies of different data like flash images, config files, and device settings in case of an emergency.
- Offers virtual TFTP folders, servers, and graphic utilities for status control.
- Offers highly scalable server architecture that has a built-in cache system and remote server administration.
- It helps you to set different access rights for various folders.
- It provides an option for setting the highest precedence for the server process
- Provide IP based access control
- File transmission using firewalls, and high precedence for a server process.
ATFTPD is a Windows TFTF server that is widely used in various types of networks. It offers multithreaded and multicast architecture.
- Full TFTP options support with high compatibility options.
- It also supports PXE or MTFTP specifications.
- Provides fast servers to make your packages search as fast as possible.
- It helps you to replace the requested filename with the new one.
- Allows users to restrict accessing the untrusted hosts.
- Free TFTP Server for Linux.
7) haneWIN TFTP server
haneWIN TFTP is a multithreaded server-based and fully realizable TFTP server for all versions of Windows. This TFTP server for Windows helps you to achieve maximum reliability and high performance while transferring the data.
- Implemented as a Windows service and also supports all types of Windows versions.
- This TFTP server for Windows includes an intuitive control panel for accessing all services.
- Offers multithreaded architecture for high performance, security, and reliability as well.
- It helps you to receive data directly into another application using a pipe option.
❓ What is TFTP Server?
Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) is used for small file transfers and does not require any authentication. TFTP is helps you to transfer files, backup network, and boot PCs without a disk. It uses UDP, which does not have error checking as TCP does. TFTP servers are mostly used in devices like mobile phones and routers.
Moreover, the implementation of the TFTP protocol is applied when there is no security and authentication needed. So, TFTP is hardly exercised in a computer network, as it lacks security, which makes it vulnerable.
You are likely to encounter TFTP servers on Linux, but sometimes you will find it on Windows and Mac as well. One major drawback of TFTP is that it does not have any access privileges in place.
Therefore, you access a TFTP server only if you are not using an external firewall or another third-party device which makes it less secure than other protocols like FTP and SCP.
⚡ What is TFTP used for?
TFTP is widely used to transfer small files across LAN networks using UDP. It does not require much in the network resources. It is relatively easy to send files or firmware updates to devices throughout the network. Moreover, for conserving network resources, it makes it much easier to update device and firmware.
When you update the firmware of thousands of different devices on regularly it is not very efficient. A TFTP server also helps you to push firmware updates straight to these devices from a centralized location which means that you don’t require spending hours carrying out one task because you can use TFTP to automate the entire process.
🏅 Which is the best TFTP server?
There are only a few powerful TFTP servers that can deliver the overall effectiveness as SolarWinds Engineer’s Toolset. This tool offers a user-friendly TFTP server with combination of enhanced network security, monitoring, and analysis.
Therefore, if you are looking for a cost-effective TFTP server program, then ETS is the TFTP software for you. This TFTP server is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS.
🚀 Why do I need to use TFTP?
TFTP is commonly used for network administration in large intranets. It is also useful in the home network setting. If you want to make a large file transfer and you need to make it between Operating System that are not compatible, then a TFTP server and client can be a solution for this issue.
There are many free TFTP server options available for individuals and organizations to integrate into their systems.
⭐ Comparison Between TFTP, SFTP, and FTP
Here is a comparison table of TFTP, SFTP, and FTP server protocols.
|It uses Unreliable UDP communication||It uses Reliable TCP communication||It uses Reliable TCP communication|
|It works on UDP port 69||It works on TCP port 22||It works on TCP port 20/21|
|Not Secure||Higher Security||Medium Security|
|No authentication||Authentication using either username/password or SSH keys||It uses username/password|
|No encryption||Traffic is Encrypted||No encryption|
💻 How does TFTP Work?
TFT severs works in following method:
- The client requires to open server socket on server’s IP address on UDP port 69 as the server depend upon port 69 which helps to establish a UDP connection with the client.
- So, when the connection gets established, the client can send the message request to the server. There are various types of message requests can be sent to the server.
- For Example, the client send a Read Request (RRQ) if any file requires to be fetched from the server or Write Request (WRQ) to transfer any file over the network.
- Then TFTP server divides the message into blocks of 512 bytes. Here, the noticeable part is the last block of every file is lesser than 512 bytes. This helps the receiver to interpret the last block from the sender.
- After that, every block should be transferred as a TFTP data message, and all the remaining blocks are assigned with a TFTP number. However, each block should be kept separately inside a UDP message.
- So each time when the size of the last block would not always be less (except if it is multiple of 512), so the sending user sends another block of zero bytes that give message to the receiver that the transfer part is over.
- TFTP also follows check and pause protocol, therefore it sends each block one after one.
- When it sends the first block, it starts a present block timer. For the sent block, when the response from the server comes it received with the block timer.
- After that, the second block of the file is sent. However, in case of response is found by the server, then the first block of the file is sent. This is method that helps TFTP to achieves flow control.