What is SFTP Server?
SFTP Server is the last destination at the receiver’s end that provides secure file transfers during a message exchange over SSH (Secure Shell) to provide access to all the shell accounts on a remote SFTP server. The full form of SFTP is SSH File Transfer Protocol, a part of the SSH protocol suite.
Following is a handpicked list of Top SFTP server software with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
Best SFTP Server for Windows & Linux: Open Source (Free) & Paid
|SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server (FREE TOOL)||Windows||Free||Learn More|
|FileZilla||Windows, macOS, Linux||Free||Learn More|
|Files.com||Windows, iOS, Linux.||$10||Learn More|
Solar Winds SFTP/SCP Server is a reliable and secure network file transfer software. This tool offers advanced device config backup, versioning, and search features.
- Concurrent transfers from multiple devices
- Authorization for specific or a range of IPs
- Powerful, free, and easy to use
- Network configuration manager
- Push device OS and firmware updates
- This free SFTP server for windows offers scalable with multi-user administration
- Full configuration change management
- Supported Operating systems: Windows XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008/7/8/10
- File Size: 2MB
FileZilla is an all-in-one FTPS and SFTP that supports all file transfer types and operating systems. It is considered one of the best open SSH server management tools. It provides plenty of functionality and several advanced features at no cost.
- Quick Connect option
- Cross-platform and multi-language support
- Drag-and-drop functionality
- Network configuration wizard
- Keep Alive command reduces timeout errors
- You can easily browse the synchronized library.
- It offers remote file search
- Available in numerous languages.
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008/7/8/10, macOS, and Linux
- File size: 21.6 MB
Files.com has built a cloud tool that offers the allows you to send and receive files using a Secure connection. This software provides a single interface for multiple file transfers that gives you the flexibility and security of enterprise-grade solution at a cost-effective price.
- Offers file upload/download links for customers.
- Securely send fully encrypted files via Email.
- Previews of files and real-time collaboration
- Audit logs of file modifications
- Custom data retention rules for users
- API and SDK available
- You can sync with other cloud providers including Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Dropbox, Rackspace, Backblaze, and many others.
- Supported Operating systems: All platforms, cloud-based
- FIle size: 5TB
4) WS_FTP Server Corporate
WS_FTP Professional is a SFTP provider that offers the easiest method to upload and download files. It is one of the best SFTP clients that provides an FTP transfer facility using encryption technology. This software is easy to use and helps you to reduce the administrative burden.
- Control user access and permissions and gain real-time visibility.
- It helps you to assure business-grade reliability and security.
- It helps you to connect unlimited local connections simultaneously.
- You can transfer files at any time.
- Server to server transfer is possible.
- Ad-Hoc Email Transfer.
- Provides Web transfer.
- Supported platforms: Windows.
5) Cerberus FTP/SFTP
Cerberus FTP Server is a secure file server that offers FTP, SFTP, FTPS, and HTTPS capabilities. It is one of the best free SFTP server that has an advanced reporting tool that provides detailed statistics about performance for any given time range.
- Provided support for Active Directory, LDAP, FTPS, SFTP, HTTPS, Secure SSL encryption, and two-factor authentication
- Offers a glimpse of the statistics and performance instantly.
- Comprehensive auditing allows users to monitor availability and performance.
- It offers a web file transfer facility for a web client.
- Provides email notifications
- Multiple options for event support and automation
- Customizable file retention policies
6) Couchdrop SFTP
Couchdrop SFTP offers a secure file upload and download portal. It offers custom domains and White-labeling. This SFTP service also offers support for Webhooks and alerting.
- Open API/SDK
- Hosted storage
- Granular user permissions
- Email upload pipeline
- Webhooks and alerting
- Supports Dropbox, Google Drive and other cloud storage
CompleteFTP is an SFTP server that offers support and various functions for SFTP, depending on the version you choose. For example, the basic Free Edition supports FTP and FTPS file transfers, and it is available to unlimited users.
- Multi-platform support
- Access controls
- Audit trail
- Document Management
- Drag-and-drop functionality
- Real-time synchronization
- Live support and training
- Onetime cost and you need to review license frequently
Operating systems: Windows XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008/7/8/10
8) Tectia SSH
Tectia SSH is an enterprise SSH client/server software for secure high-speed file transfer and remote access. It is one of the best SFTP server for Linux which offers dedicated resources for continuous improvement, including compatibility, feature adds, and bug fixes.
- Double speed SFTP – for on-premises and cloud file transfers
- Wide platform support – the single solution for Unix, Linux, Windows server
- X.509 certificate support for host and user authentication
- ICON authentication for SFTP Windows server
- Offers flexible XML configuration and rich set of authentication options, including authentication chains for multi-homed servers
9) /n Software
/n is a free SFTP software. This SFTP Server is a powerful File and OpenSSH Server for adding instant Secure File Transfer capabilities to any Windows Desktop or Server. It is one of the best free SFTP servers designed to easily configure an intuitive interface and rock-solid security.
- Windows-based or file-based public key authentication.
- This open source SFTP server runs as a Windows service or standalone desktop application.
- Provide granular control over advanced functionality, including algorithms.
- This free SFTP server for Windows helps you to monitor connected clients.
- Simple design makes hosting a snap.
- This SFTP server supports all major SSH algorithms, like AES (CTR, CBC, and GCM), 3DES, Blowfish, SHA-256, ECDH, etc.
10) Rebex Tiny SFTP Server
Rebex is a free SFTP server that requires no setup or installation. You just need minimal configuration to start using this SFTP server. It is a great option when you just need a free SFTP server for Windows to unpack the files and run.
- It is a multi-user SFTP/SCP server
- This win based sftp serve supports SSH remote shell
- Simply download, unzip, and run the .exe file as no extra installation is required.
- You can configure and change it at any time to match your preferences.
- It runs effectively on Windows service.
- Offers support for SSH forwarding
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Microsoft Windows 7 with .NET Framework 4.5.
Bitvise SSH Server provides SCP, FTP, SFTP servers, and SSH server. It is quite easy to install, configure, and use. For configuration, any setting can be changed via a command prompt script or a text file.
- Supports secure remote access through the console and GUI.
- Helps you to keep a record of daily, monthly, and annual usage statistics.
- It offers the fastest available speeds for file transfers, though the actual speed depends on the client’s resources.
- Allows users to create virtual accounts backed by the identity of one or more Windows accounts.
- It helps you to configure bandwidth limits for uploads and downloads.
- It offers sophisticated techniques to render the best output.
- It provides a full spectrum of a Window’s console features.
- Easy to install and configure
- Provides an option to restrict access to specified accounts.
- No limitation on the number of users who can connect.
12) Wing FTP Server
Wing FTP Server is an easy-to-use and free SFTP server software. This SFTP tool offers admins a web interface to administrate the server from anywhere. It is one of the best SFTP server software that helps you to monitor server performance and online sessions and even receive email notifications about various events taking place on the server.
- Supports FTP, FTPS, SFTP, and HTTP/S web-based client.
- Allow to use the event manager to execute Lua script to send an email notification which runs on 3rd party program.
- Share files or request files with just a web link, and anyone can send files with no need to log in.
- You can assign individual disk quota, ratio, and bandwidth.
- This Secure FTP server software for Windows helps you to map virtual directories to physical directories
- Supported OS: Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and Solaris.
13) JScape MFT Server
JScape MFT is an SFTP server that helps you centralize file transfer processes into a single easy-to-use application. It is one of the best SFTP Clients for Windows which provides cloud storage such as Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and Dropbox.
- Offers a highly-secure method for exchanging data both internally and between trading partners
- Simple file transfers by unifying all services and processes into a single platform
- Gain control of users and system resources and also reducing system administration overhead
- Automate file transfers between trading partners
- Offers a secure web-based file transfer gateway to clients without installing any software
14) Provide server
Provide server enables administrators or the entire staff to access files directly with the help of a built-in secure web-server. This SFTP tool is preferable for companies that need a dedicated, encrypted server with an easy-to-use interface.
- Reliable and secure file sharing
- Enable users to access files with the help of a built-in secure web interface.
- It helps you keep your software up-to-date with security updates and features.
- Robust file provisioning service
SFTPlus is a secure, Managed File Transfer software for enterprises with multi-protocol support. It offers a simple to use on-premises, cloud, or container deployed SFTP solution.
- Compliant and Secure Win SFTP Server
- This Windows SFTP server allows you to use secure and automated file transfers across multiple platforms
16) VanDyke VShell Server
VanDyke provides an easy-to-use, browser-based file transfer solution for staff, customers, and partners. It helps end-users to connect with VShell Enterprise Edition using HTTPS to upload and download files easily.
- This online SFTP server offers strong, multi-protocol security for data in transit
- Control user access to features and files
- Easy to Set up and configure
- Monitor and log events with automation support
❓ What is FTP?
It is an internet service that is designed to establish a connection to a specific FTPS server or computer. FTP stands for “File Transfer Protocol.” Therefore, users can transfer Files (download) or transfer data/files to their computer or the FTPS server.
❗ What is SFTP?
SFTP (full form SSH File Transfer Protocol) is a part of the SSH protocol suite. It provides secure file transfers over SSH to provide access to all the shell accounts on a remote win SFTP server.
SSH is a protocol for secure remote access to a machine over untrusted networks. SSH is a replacement for Telnet, RSH and rlogin. SFTP verifies the identity of the client, and once a secured connection is established, the information can be exchanged.
🚀 Difference Between FTP vs. SFTP
Here are some important differences between FTP and SFTP protocols:
|Founder||By Abhay Bhushan in 1971||Tatu Ylönen with assistance from Sami Lehtinen in 1997|
|Full-Form||File Transfer Protocol.||Secure FTP Protocol.|
|Basic||FTP does not offer a secure channel to transfer files between hosts.||SFTP offers a secure channel for transferring the files between host and client.|
|Encryption||FTP is accessible anonymously, and in most cases, it is not encrypted.||SFTP encrypts the data before sending it to another host.|
|Protocol||FTP is TCP/IP protocol.||SFTP protocol is a part of the SSH protocol, which is a remote login application program.|
|Number of channels used||2||1|
|Transfer method||Direct transfer||Tunneling|
|Inbound Port||Allows inbound connection on port 21||Allows incoming connections on port 22|
|Outbound Port||Allows outbound connection to port 21.||Allows outbound connections to port 22.|
🏅 How do I run an SFTP server on Windows?
The access to the SFTP server on Windows depends on which SFTP server you choose to install. Most Windows STFP server tools are self-installing. So, if you have SFTP server software installed, all you need to do is just run the SFTP software by opening the services and Select the best SFTP server functions from the menu of your SFTP tool.
⭐ How do I connect to an SFTP server with Linux?
STFP on Linux has its own command and environment. There are two methods to connect to the SFTP server in Linux. The first method is useful if you want to include an SFTP session in an automated process using a script. It is ideal to set up a passwordless SFTP connection with the system.
And the second method will help you connect to the SFTP server in Linux with password protection. You can type sftp remote_username@IP_or_hostname and hit return. After that, you will be prompted for the password for that user account. So, when you login, you will see the sftp> prompt, which shows that the SFTP connection has been established.
👉 How to select the best SFTP Server?
Transferring files is an important part of every business. However, it’s essential to keep those transfers secure. SFTP servers use SSH protocols to keep your information safe. It also provides concurrent file transfers and support for files up to 4GB.
💻 Which are the Best SFTP Server Software for Windows?
Here are some of the best SFTP server software for Windows:
- SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server
- Cerberus FTP/SFTP
- Tectia SSH