What is System Software?
System Software is a set of programs that control and manage the operations of computer hardware. It also helps application programs to execute correctly.
System Software are designed to control the operation and extend the processing functionalities of a computer system. System software makes the operation of a computer more fast, effective, and secure. Example: Operating system, programming language, Communication software, etc.
What is an Application Software?
Application Software is a program that does real work for the user. It is mostly created to perform a specific task for a user.
Application Software acts as a mediator between the end-user and System Software. It is also known as an application package. This type of software is written using a high-level language like C, Java, VB. Net, etc. It is a user-specific and is designed to meet the requirements of the user.
You can also install multiple Application Software on a single System Software. You can store this kind of software on CDs, DVDs, flash derive, or keychain storage devices. Example: Word-processing, Spreadsheet, Database, etc.
- System software are designed to manage the resources of the system, like memory and process management, security, etc. whereas Application software are designed to fulfil the requirements of the user for performing specific tasks.
- The System Software is a general-purpose software while the Application Software is specific purpose software.
- System Software is written in a low-level language like a machine or assembly language but Application software is a high-level language is used to write Application Software.
- System Software is capable of running independently while Application software can’t run independently.
- The System Software starts running when the system is powered on and runs until the system is powered off while the Application Software starts when the user begins, and it ends when the user stops it.
- System software are independent of the application software while an Application software needs system software to run.
Types of System Software
Here are the important types of System Software:
- Operating systems:- Operating system software helps you for the effective utilization of all hardware and software components of a computer system.
- Programming language translators:- Transforms the instructions prepared by developers in a programming language into a form that can be interpreted or compiled and executed by a computer system.
- Communication Software : – Communication software allows us to transfer data and programs from one computer system to another.
- Utility programs: – Utility programs are a set of programs that help users in system maintenance tasks, and in performing tasks of routine nature.
Types of Application Software
Here, are some important types of Application Software
- Word-processing software:- It makes use of a computer for creating, modifying, viewing, storing, retrieving, and printing documents.
- Spreadsheet software:- Spreadsheet software is a numeric data-analysis tool that allows you to create a computerized ledger.
- Database software:- A database software is a collection of related data that is stored and retrieved according to user demand.
- Graphics software:- It allows computer systems for creating, editing, drawings, graphs, etc.
- Education software:- Education software allows a computer to be used as a learning and teaching tool.
- Entertainment software:- This type of app allows a computer to be used as an entertainment tool.
Features of Application Software
An important feature of Application Software:
- Perform more specialized tasks like word processing, spreadsheets, email, photo editing, etc.
- It needs more storage space as it is bigger in size
- Easy to design and more interactive for the user
- Generally written in a high-level language
Features of System Software
An important feature of System Software are:
- System Software is closer to the system
- Generally written in a low-level language
- The system software is difficult to design and understand
- Fast in speed
- Less interactive
- Smaller in size
- Hard to manipulate
System Software vs. Application software
Here are major differences between System and Application software:
|System Software||Application Software|
|They are designed to manage the resources of the system, like memory and process management, security, etc.||They are designed to fulfill the requirements of the user for performing specific tasks.|
|It is written in a low-level language like a machine or assembly language.||A high-level language is used to write Application Software.|
|The System Software starts running when the system is powered on and runs until the system is powered off.||The Application Software starts when the user begins, and it ends when the user stops it.|
|The System Software is a general-purpose software||Application Software is specific purpose software.|
|It is classified as a package program or customized program.||It is classified as time-sharing, resource sharing, client-server.|
|Installed on the computer system at the time when the operating system is installed.||Installed as per user’s requirements.|
|Capable of running independently.||Can’t run independently.|
|Users never interact with system software as it functions in the background.||Users interact with application software while using specific applications.|
|System software are independent of the application software||Application software needs system software to run.|
|System software is crucial for the effective functioning of a system.||Application software is not extremely important for the functioning of the system.|