Key Difference between Blog and Website
The main differences between Blog and Website are:
- The Blog is usually informal, informative, and educated in nature, whereas A business website is formal and professional.
- Blogs are dynamic in nature as the content keeps on regularly updating, while Websites are relatively static as changes only occur when some business strategy changes.
- The basic unit of a blog is a post, whereas The basic unit of a website is content.
A Blog is an informational web page or a website published on the World Wide Web, consisting of independent and informative textual content on a particular subject. The information published on a blog is displayed in reverse chronological order so that the latest posts are displayed first. A blog is a platform where people share their views and have a discussion over a particular subject.
Blogging platforms are online publishing tools that are best for authors to publish articles, product reviews, and opinions. You can also share your blog post using stand-alone websites, social network feed syndication systems, and social networks.
It is a post written by the blogger and has a specific order in which these blog posts are posted. They may be in the reverse-chronological listing. However, the newer posts or topic appear at the top, and older appear below.
A website is a collection of webpages and multimedia content available under one domain on the World Wide Web. Websites are mostly hosted over web hosting services. It allows the web pages and the website’s content to be accessed over the World Wide Web. It is an internal site accessed through a secure local area network.
Websites are used for different purposes, like a business, personal blog, and even government agencies for information purposes. However, there is a broad range of applications. One main objective of creating a website is to provide information to visitors for a company or an organization.
Here are some important differences between Blog and Website:
|Definition||The Blog is usually informal, informative, and educated in nature.||A business website is formal, professional.|
|Basic unit||The basic unit of a blog is a post.||The basic unit of a website is content.|
|Content order||In a blog or informational websites, where the contents are placed as per reverse chronological order.||Website, there is no special arrangement for the content.|
|Homepage||The homepage could probably be present inside the blog.||On a website, the homepage needs to be included, additionally.|
|Commenting||Enabled||Not always possible.|
|Updation frequency||Blogs are dynamic in nature as the content keeps on updating regularly.||Websites are relatively static as changes only occur when some business strategy changes.|
|Essential||To create a blog, the blogger must select software for blogging, e.g., Joomla or WordPress.||If it is an e-commerce website, it may be integrated with a payment gateway for online shopping.|
|Subscription||It allows you to subscribe to the blog’s RSS feed.||On the website, no subscription is available to the RSS feed.|
In the early 90s, blogs were evolved from online diaries and journals. At that time, Internet users used their web pages to publish regular updates about their personal lives, thoughts, and social commentaries.
The term web blog was first introduced in the late 90s, which was also called ‘weblog,’ then ‘we blog,’ and nowadays, it is just ‘blog’.
Later on, because of the increasing number of web pages, various tools started to appear, which made it easier for users to build online blogs/articles or journals. These tools helped in easy blogging and made the technology easily accessible for even non-technical users.
In 1999, the first blogging platform Blogger.com launched its first separate blogging platform, which was later obtained by Google in February 2003. In that year, WordPress also released its first version as a blogging platform.
Websites have been around for 25+ years, and it has come an exceptionally long way since its invention. CERN developed the first website in 1991, which was a complete text-based website.
The only tags used on that website were just <table> tags from HTML, as not much was developed at that time.
The first online eCommerce website was Amazon, which was developed in the year 1994. This opened the door for highly engaging and feature-rich websites. Today you will find thousands of eCommerce stores functioning over the Internet.
Here are prime reasons for starting a blog:
Blogs are useful for providing additional details of the products and services like tutorials and comparison posts with competitors. It also contains details regarding sales and discounts on your website, which can be well-elaborated with the blogs’ help.
Blogs also help you to get a better ranking on Search engines. They are keyword-oriented, regularly updated, and contain internal and external links important for SEO. The external links can help in bringing more backlinks to the website as well.
- News and Information:
There are many blogs on the Internet that offer valuable information and news about various things. Adding news to a blog also helps to frequently update the content. This allows you to grow your audience and add more users getting engaged with your blog.
Connect with Visitors:
The blog also allows you to connect with a large portion of your visitors. Once they read your blog, they can easily share it on their social media if they like it.
Another growing use of the Internet is for entertainment, and it has been the same case with blogs also. Whether it is about celebrities, movies, games, music, or even art, blogs can also be used efficiently for entertainment purposes.
For Personal Use:
Some blogs are just used for personal use. Most people who have a keen interest in writing tend to start a blog to write and discuss their private thoughts. This is the primary reason why blogs have become vastly popular among people.
Here are prime reasons for starting a website:
You can create a business website for anything, from small agencies to large online corporations. Website offers crucial information regarding products and services provided by the business.
Websites are used for digital marketing for years. With age-old conventional marketing techniques, your services might be limited to a specific area. However, with the help of websites, it can be grown outside of the international boundaries.
Professional and Social Networking:
There are plenty of networking websites that help you connect with people professionally as well as socially. Some of them include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. Moreover, you can also build your own portfolio website or use job vacancy websites, which help your professional career.
News and Information:
Similar to blogs, websites are also created for sharing news and information. People are relying on them day by day to get the latest news and information related to any subject matter around the world.
Online Communities and Forums:
People learn and gain a lot of knowledge from online communities and forum websites. They can meet new people and help each other by discussing various informative topics.
Entertainment and Multimedia:
People use websites for entertainment and multimedia more than anything on the Internet. Many websites like YouTube, Amazon Prime, Spotify, and Netflix are used for this purpose.
Here are some examples of popular blogs:
Moz Blog: Moz Blog is one of the leading blogs for creating content that enhances a website’s SEO. However, it is a blog that is only a part of the website; still, it is one of the most popular and successful blogs.
HuffPost: The HuffPost is another popular blogging site not only in blogs but throughout the Internet. However, it is also a news aggregator.
Engadget: Engadget is one of the most popular blogs based on technologies. They create a different type of content and news on various technological gadgets and services.
Here are examples of some popular websites:
- Facebook: Facebook is a widely used social networking website. It helps you connect with people through the Internet and is also effective in growing your business.
- Google: Google is a search engine that is perhaps the most popular website in the world.
- Yahoo: Yahoo is a website that provides multiple web services throughout the world.
There are many blogging platforms that you can use to start your blog. Some popular blogging platform options are WordPress, Blogger, Wix, and Medium.
These blogging platforms help you make the correct choice to start your blog. Most of these blog platforms have their blog themes and templates, which allows you to save a lot of time. You can use them and start editing your blog not to have to create it from scratch.
Creating a website is not a big deal nowadays as many website builders are available to get you started on it.
You can even find tutorials on creating a website with these platforms to help you create a website.
There are some awesome themes, templates, and plugins included with these website builders, which help you to develop a website in no time.
Here are some benefits of blogging.
- You can showcase your creativity, skills, and talent
- It allows individuals to become an authority in their industry
- Bloggers are able to make money from their blogs
- Many organizations use a blogging platform to bring more customers to their websites
- NGO organizations can also use blogs to run social media campaigns, generate awareness, and influence public opinion.
- Ease of optimization for SEO.
- It helps you to share add-on plugins between the pages and posts.
Here are the pros/benefits of creating a website:
- A website provides important information about the products and services to your clients
- Websites can be created for giving news and information.
- There are so many networking websites that help you connect with people professionally and socially.
- People can gain a lot from forum websites in online communities
- Websites can be created for entertainment and multimedia purposes on the Internet.
You might be a little confused about whether you should start a blog or a website; which one is better? Honestly, the answer to this question depends upon what is your purpose for that.
Many small businesses around the world have traditional websites that are made up of just pages and no blog. A website is mostly developed to create an informational web presence for your business, company, organization, profession, or individual portfolio.
On the other hand, businesses have realized the potential of a blog in their online marketing strategy. Therefore, most companies and organizations add a distinct blog section to their traditional websites and use it to get more traffic from search engines. Following table will help you to decide:
|Do you want to start a blog/website for fun?||You should start a blog.|
|Do you want to make money with your blog/website?||You should start a blog.|
|Do you want to sell products to customers?||You should start a website and integrate a blog to talk about your products|
|Are you looking to obtain employment with your blog?||Start a website about yourself|
|Are you looking to establish yourself as an authority on a subject?||Start a blog or a website|
❗ How is a Blog Different from a Website?
The Blog is usually informal, informative, and educated in nature, while A business website is formal & professional.
❓ Can I Use a Blog for My Business?
In a situation where you want to start or enhance the presence of your online business, at that time, creating a blog provides many benefits in the following ways:
- Blog can prove to be incredibly effective as a tool for business.
- Having a blog will always have some fresh new content to show people.
- It is also perfect for sharing with your people on social media.
👉 Can I Sell on My Blog?
Yes, you can sell on your blog or website using the following techniques:.
- If you’re on WordPress, you can easily start selling products after installing an additional plugin called WooCommerce. It will help you to turn your blog or website into a fully-fledged e-commerce store.
- Suppose you are using another website builder, like Wix or Squarespace, or Shopify. In that case, you get an inbuilt e-commerce store module.
⚡ Can I Build a Website or Blog on My Own?
💲 How Do Bloggers Make Money?
Here are some important ways which help to make money from your blogs:
- The most common and the easiest way to make money online is by displaying ads. This is where Google AdSense comes in. They take care of finding ads, displaying them, collecting payments, and send them to you.
- Many bloggers also make money using affiliate marketing by recommending specific products on their websites and earn good commissions when users buy those products.
- The last method is selling online courses or adding an online store to your blog.