Wayback Machine archives information available on the WWW (World Wide Web). It is widely used by researchers and historians to preserve digital artifacts. However, Wayback Machine has some limitations like it is very slow and unresponsive on many crawlable websites.
Here is a curated list of Top applications that are capable of replacing Wayback Machine. The list contains both open source(free) and commercial(paid) software.
Archive.fo is online tool that helps you to create a copy of the webpage. This copy will remain online, even if the original page is removed.
- This application saves a text and a graphical copy of the page for better accuracy.
- It gives a short link to an unalterable record of any web page.
- This tool allows you to track changes of the website containing job offer, price list, blog post, real estate listing, and so on.
- Saved pages do not contain any malware or popups.
Perma.cc is a web archiving app developed and maintained by the Harvard Law School Library. It helps you to create permanent records of the websites.
- You can delete links within 24 hours after creation.
- It helps you to view archived records through Perma.cc link
- URLs can be inserted via blog or paper articles.
- It enables you to create Parma that visits the website and create a record of the content of that website.
- If the preservation fails, this app will give you options to upload PDF file or image.
- Individuals can get access to permalinks via tiered subscriptions.
- You can assign users to any organization by simply submitting the user's email address into this cloud-based program.
PageFreezer is a SaaS service that provides blogs, websites, and social media archiving. It helps financial services firms and enterprises to capture online conversations, ensures to monitor risk.
- This online app validates the authenticity and integrity of your records.
- It can collect dynamic web content in real time.
- PageFreezer can capture internal social media networks.
- It can capture corporate chat conversations and monitor activity for potential risks.
- You can archive SMS or text messages.
- It helps you to collect and manage online content.
- You can access the past web on demand.
Actiance app help organizations to capture and archive electronic communications. It supports more than 80 channels.
- Capture all relevant communications.
- You can identify and manage risk and extract the business value of your data.
- It allows you to produce, package, and deliver content on-demand.
- This cloud-based app provides an analytics dashboard for better visualization of data.
- It includes advanced as well as proximity search across all channels.
- It offers comprehensive and customizable reporting.
Stillio is a tool that automatically captures website snapshots, archives and shares to other users. You can manage your website history and save lots of time.
- You can set screenshot frequencies according to your customized duration
- You can add multiple URL at once.
- You can save the screenshot to Dropbox.
- It supports URL sharing.
- This tool enables you to filter URLs by domain.
- You can use custom titles to keep everything organized.
- Stillio helps you to take a screenshot from the website geographic location by identifying it's IP address.
- You can hide unwanted elements like overlays, banners, or cookie popups.
6) UK Web Archive
UK Web Archive collects details of numerous sites each year and preserves for the future. It focuses on subject, event or areas of interest, and social media to archive.
- You can use this website to search for UK web archives.
- It allows you to discover the website on various themes and topics.
- This app collects images, videos, html pages, pdf, etc.
- It performs automated collection of range of UK website in one year.
7) Memento Time Travel
Memento time travel helps you to search and view versions of webpages that existed in the past. It supports finding Mementos in web archives.
- It checks the whole range of servers to search web pages.
- This website displays web page components based on the time requested by you.
- It self-archives web server content.
- It focusses on various components like HTML, style sheets, and images, etc.
- You can see the distribution of archival DateTime using the timeline.
- It provides a bar chart showing checked and missing components.