Firewalls are software programs which are used to improve the security of computers. It protects a private network or LAN from unauthorized access. The purpose of having a firewall installed on your computer, phone, or tablet is to protect against malware threats that exist on the internet or other connected networks.
Following is a handpicked list of Top Free Firewall Software, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source(free) and commercial(paid) software.
Best Firewall Software for Windows (Open Source & Paid)
|👍 ManageEngine Firewall Analyzer||✅||
|👍 Firewall Security Management||✅||
ManageEngine Firewall Analyzer is a firewall management software. It helps you to detect security vulnerabilities in the firewall policies. It provides real-time visibility into network firewall security.
- Manages firewall policy effectively
- Ensures that the policy changes are managed
- Monitors the VPN and internet activities of users
- Continuously monitors and generates various compliance standards reports
Firewall Security Management is a tool that helps you to strengthen your network security. You can use this tool to obtain real-time visibility into any network having a firewall.
- It allows you to create custom security filters.
- This tool enables you to monitor network traffic, firewalls, devices, and applications.
- You can optimize firewall configuration to avoid security breaches.
- It provides reports with a built-in policy check.
TotalAV is one of the best firewall software protecting you from malicious viruses, malware, and dangerous websites. It provides real-time Anti-Malware, Anti-Ransomware, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Adware protection.
- Remote Firewall feature allows remote access to your devices
- It offers a secure way to surf the web anonymously and encrypt your internet’s traffic
- Real-time antivirus protection
- Let you know if any of your passwords have been leaked in an online data breach.
- It offers a highly secured Password Vault
- It allows you to block annoying ads, pop-ups & intrusive trackers
- Supported platforms: Windows, Mac, Android & iOS.
GlassWire is a free network monitor and security tool using a built-in firewall. This firewall software can see your past and present network activity.
- Offers add-on Internet security to your computer or server by visualizing all past and present networking data
- Allows you to block the program in one click
- It helps you to keep track of your daily, weekly, or monthly bandwidth usage.
- This software provides multiple remote server monitoring
ZoneAlarm is a free firewall that helps you to protect your computer against cyber attracts. It blocks unwanted programs and network traffic access to the internet.
- You can work invisibly.
- It guards your personal data.
- Provides a secure browsing experience.
- Offers WiFi protection.
- It allows you to search safely and give you alerts for dangerous sites.
- You can safely download documents from the internet.
Avast Endpoint is a firewall protection tool that helps you to find out vulnerabilities in third-party applications. It also makes it easy to deploy patches from the Avast Business to your system.
- Helps you to manage PCs, Macs, and servers from a single place
- Schedule tasks in advance to make all devices control at all times
- Prevent dangerous websites, set templates, and group devices
- Most comprehensive reports of threats and malware
- Invite other administrators and set personalized notifications
#7) Mcafee Firewall
Macfree firewalls allow your PC and other devices and closely watch network traffic. It also allows you to capture malicious programs before they reach your computer.
- Prevent various type of viruses, malware, and ransomware from infecting your computer and mobile devices
- Helps you to secure our firewall and block hackers from accessing your home network
- Helps you to store and manage all your online passwords in a single location
- Keep sensitive files private by storing them on your system with 256-bit encryption
#8) Azure Firewall
Azure Firewall provides network security to protect your network resources. It also offers a feature of threat intelligence-based filtering. It also allows preventing traffic from malicious domains and IP addresses.
- Provides high availability and unrestricted cloud scalability
- You can create, enforce and log application and network connectivity policies
- Allows source and destination Network Address Translation
- Support for hybrid connectivity through deployment behind ExpressRoute Gateways and VPN
- Offers integrated with Azure Monitor for logging and analytics
Norton AntiVirus Plus is ideal for 1 PC or Mac for offers real-time threat protection against malware, spyware, phishing attacks, and other online threats. The software is designed to provide multiple layers of security for your PC or Mac, including firewall protection.
- Real-time threat protection
- Helps you to generate, store, and manage your passwords, credit or debit card information and other credentials
- Helps you to monitor communications between your computer and other computers
#10) AVS Firewall
AVS Firewall is used to protect your computer against hacker attacks. This firewall protection software helps you to secure your PC against malware, filter applications to prevent unauthorized intrusions.
- Protect your PC registry every time any suspicious attempt to change the registry contents takes place.
- Switch on the anti-banner feature and block unwanted flash advertisings, banners, and popups.
- Offers feature of parent control making a whitelist of URLs and websites that you wants to view and work with
- Allows you to create your own personalize firewall rules for each program and application
- It will also enable you to view and control the traffic volume.
- View alerts when any application tries to connect to the net from your PC.
#11) Comodo Free Firewall
Comodo is one of the best free firewall software that provides the technology solutions that secure and preserve that experience. The tool offers a fast and hassle-free online experience for users.
- Offers fast and hassle-free online experience
- Manages traffic on your PC
- Helps you to block all types of internet attacks
- DDP-based security keeps you informed and make your PCs safe
- Secures all connections when you are online
- Monitors in/out connections
Evoriam is one of the best free firewall software that identifies threats and protects the privacy of your website. It is one of the best firewall for Windows 10 that controls every program on your computer by permit or denies access to the Internet.
- Prevent your site invaders from gaining access to your computer
- Regulate the access to the network and Internet according to a specific application
- If a non-authorize program wants to access the internet, you will receive a notification immediately
- Protects against tracking and monitoring of internet users with the help of cookies and other techniques.
TinyWall is an advanced firewall built into modern Windows systems. The software also prevents malicious programs from modifying the settings of the Windows Firewall.
- Multiple and easy ways to whitelist programs
- Offers firewall tampering protection
- Easily create exceptions with the auto-learn feature.
- Password lockdown of settings
- Support for temporary and timed firewall
- Hosts file protection
- Offers an option to restrict an application to the LAN
- Helps you to the recognition of safe software and frauds
Untangle NG Firewall simplifies network security with a single, modular, software platform designed according to the need of your organization.
- Simplified management of your dispersed networks from a single pane of glass
- It is one of the best free firewall for Windows that allows you to manger your backups, auditing logs, licensing and renewals
- Integration with endpoint security partners
❓ What is a Firewall?
A Firewall is a security system designed for the network. A firewall is set on the boundaries of any system or network which monitors and controls network traffic. Firewalls are mostly used to protect the system or network from malware, worms, and viruses. Firewalls can also prevent content filtering and remote access.
💻 Which are the best Firewall Software?
Here are some of the best firewall software:
❗ Why Use Firewall Software?
Firewall software provides protection from cyberattacks and secures your computer and network from unnecessary network traffic and malicious software. It also improves the security of your computer and protects your private network from malware threats and unauthorized access.
👉 How does a Firewall work?
A firewall monitors all the traffic and data that goes in and out of a system. It allows good data and blocks bad data from entering the computer. It uses the following three methods to control the network traffic:
- Packet Filtering: which uses pre-determined security rules to create filters and discard the packets which are flagged by the filters.
- Proxy Service: which is an application that acts as an intermediary between systems. It creates and runs a process on the firewall that mirrors a service as it runs on the end host.
- Stateful Inspection: which is a modern method of firewall scanning. It holds significant attributes of each connection in a database of trusted information. Then it compares the information being transferred to the copy relevant to that transfer held in the database; if the comparison has a positive outcome, the information is allowed; otherwise, it is denied.
🏅 Who Uses Firewall Software?
Firewall software are widely used by IT professionals, small enterprises, large IT firms, businesses, government agencies, individuals, etc.
🚀 Which factors should you consider while selecting Firewall Software?
You should consider the following factors while selecting firewall software:
- Security Features
- Easy to use and setup
- Compatibility with multiple devices
- Support for multiple platforms
- Real-time threat protection