C++ is a general-purpose object-oriented programming language developed by Bjarne Stroustrup. It contains the features of C programming language as well as Simula67 (a first object Oriented language).
There are many Integrated Development Environments (IDE) that provide readymade code templates to write C++ programs. These tools automatically adjust the indent and format of code. IDE's help to code your application in less amount of time.
Following is a handpicked list of Best C++ IDE, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source(free) and commercial(paid) software.
Best C++ Editor and C++ IDE for Windows/Mac OS
1) Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code is an open-source code editor developed by Microsoft. It is one of the best c++ ide which provides smart code completion based on variable types, essential modules, and function definitions.
- It is one of the best c++ ide for windows that can work with Git version control system.
- You can debug code easily using this c++ programming software.
- It is one of the free c++ ide which supports numerous extensions for including new languages, themes, and more.
- Visual Studio Code can be used on Windows and Mac operating systems.
- It provides best c++ compiler and you can control multiple versions of one program with ease.
Eclipse is a website development tool for C++. It highlights the syntax you have written. This tool enables you to easily debug the program.
- This online ide tool automatically validates syntax.
- It supports parser ( a part of the compiler).
- Eclipse enables you to manage the project remotely.
- It can be used on platforms like Windows, Linux, and OS X.
- This c++ programming software tool generates Makefile that contains instructions for how to build your C++ program.
- It provides readymade code templates.
CodeLite is an open source tool for writing programs in C++. It is one of the best c++ ide that supports code refactoring. This app highlights the syntax. You can use it on Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Codelite can be integrated with Cscope integration (text-based interface to search a code).
- You can customize syntax colors.
- This online ide tool helps you to find files effortlessly using a tree view.
- It is one of the best ide for c programming and c++ that has a command palate that holds functionality like sorting, changing the syntax, etc.
Brackets is an open source editor for developing web applications. It is founded by adobe systems. It is one of the best ide for c++ that can highlight the pair of brackets.
- It helps you to quickly edit the C++ code.
- You can connect your browser in real time.
- This app can be used on Linux, Windows, and Mac operating systems.
- You can efficiently manage the project.
- Provides preprocessor support, live preview, and inline editors.
- You can quickly customize UI available in Brackets.io tool.
Atom is a simple editor for writing C++ program. It can be customized to do anything without modifying a config file.
- It is one of the best editor for c++ which has an integrated package manager.
- This c++ editor tool allows cross-platform editing
- You can find, preview, and replace text typed in a file or across the entire project.
- It offers a command palette that contains items that are used repeatedly.
CLion is a tool developed by Jetbrains. It helps you to quickly solve errors in the program. This IDE for c++ enables you to analyze the performance of your application with no hassle.
- You can effortlessly run and debug your program.
- It helps you to test individual units of source code.
- You can integrate CLion with CVS (Concurrent Versions System) and TFS (Team Foundation Server).
- You can customize the editor the way you like.
- This software helps you to manage your project and code effectively.
- It automatically set formatting while you write code.
Emacs is a Unix based tool that provides a highly customizable feature. It is one of the best c++ ide for mac that supports syntax coloring. You can use this software on GNU, Windows, or mac operating system.
- It is one of the best c++ editor that supports Unicode for numerous human scripts.
- It provides a packaging system for installing and downloading numerous extensions.
- You can customize this app using the Emacs Lisp code.
- Emacs offers complete built-in documentation.
- This app offers a tutorial for new users.
Notepad++ is a code editor that can be used with Windows. This c++ ide tool highlights syntax and keyword. It helps you to work with multiple open files in a single window.
- It highlights brackets written in C++ program.
- You can zoom in or zoom out the screen.
- Macro (Automatic expandable instruction) recording and playback is possible.
- GUI is customizable.
- It is one of the best editor for c++ which supports the multi-language environment.
NetBeans is an integrated development environment for writing C++ programs. It is one of the best c++ ide for windows that has a project window that shows a list of projects currently exists.
- You can set exception, variable, function breakpoints, etc. and view them in the Breakpoints window.
- It automatically adjusts indent and format the code.
- You can easily see the structure of the C++ class.
- This tool highlights variables and keywords in your C++ program.
- It automatically completes the brackets.
- Netbeans is one of the free c++ ide that offers readymade templates for writing C++ code.
Codeblocks is open source IDE for writing programs in C++. It is one of the best c++ ide for mac that supports GCC (GNU Compiler Collection), Visual C++, etc. You can use this app on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- This c++ editor provides one of the best c++ compiler and workspace to easily combine more than one project.
- Codeblocks has a feature that automatically completes the code.
- You can build more than one project simultaneously.
- It allows you to write full breakpoint conditions (stop the execution of code if the expression is true).
- You can quickly switch between multiple programs.
- It is one of the free c++ ide app which provides a tabbed interface.
Cevelop is one of the best C++ IDE for developers. It enables you to migrate a variable declaration to the new syntax. It is one of the best ide for c++ which helps you to detect uninitialized variables.
- It makes code more readable by using global namespace (a name representing one entity).
- This software has a template view that displays detailed template information.
- It helps you to analyze and optimize the code.
- Cevelop supports Ctylechecker plugin to find mistakes in the program.
Kdevelop is an open-source integrated development environment for C++ developers. You can use this software on Windows, Linux, macOS, Solaris, and more.
- It is one of the best ide for c programming and c++ which provides language support for OpenCL (Open Computing Language).
- You can jump to the declaration /definition code.
- Kdevelop helps you to quickly search for any function or class.
- It can highlight code having different meanings and usage.
- This c++ editor tool provides one of the best c++ compiler and can highlight the occurrence of same variable in a particular color.
- You can assign shortcuts to every action in this tool.
- This tool supports version control systems like Subversion, CVS, Perforce, and more.
SlickEdit is a cross-platform IDE for writing in the program. It is one of the best c++ editor which supports more than 60 languages. This ide for c++ can load large files quickly.
- You can customize menu items.
- It enables you to open a file without typing a path.
- Easy to integrate Subversion, CVS, etc.
- You can expand a common block structure.
- SlickEdit can automatically formats code when pasted.
- You can create multi-platform GUI dialogue boxes.
- This c++ editor software automatically saves the file after a period of inactivity.
Graviton is a user-friendly editor that helps you to write and manage the C++ code effectively. It is one of the best c++ editor which is available in English, Spanish, and many other languages.
- It is compatible with macOS, Windows, and Linux platforms.
- Graviton keeps your data on your PC instead of server.
- You can hide unwanted code in the editor.
- This tool has an explorer panel that helps you to select files or folders for copying, moving, or deleting.
💻 What is the IDE in C++?
C++ is a general-purpose, object-oriented programming language developed by Bjarne Stroustrup. An IDE generally contains a source code editor, a debugger, build automation tools. IDE's help to code your application in less amount of time.
❓ Why use C++ IDE?
Here are the reasons for using C++ IDE:
- It provides you readymade code template.
- This tool automatically validates syntax.
- It supports code refactoring.
- It supports syntax coloring.
- It allows you to set breakpoints.
- C++ IDE offers a robust debugger.
- Robust C++ Editor