Whether it is about capturing requirements, designing test cases, test execution reports, informing other team-members about Testing progress etc. a test management tool is mandatory. Even small error in recording these details may lead to catastrophic effect and failure of the project. So, to manage all these details some test management tools can come very handy and useful. Let see some of the best test management tools.
qTest Test Management is the #1 test management tool used by Agile testing teams. qTest provides an easy to learn, easy to use, scalable test management solution that allows testers to centralize, organize and speed up test management. qTest makes every step of the QA process simpler and more effective that includes:
- Managing requirements - full traceability between requirements and associated defects
- Test case repository - easily import, create, manage and organize test cases
- Executing test - manage test cycles, create and execute test runs
- Tracking defects - create custom queries to locate defects and export results into Excel
- Real-time, interactive out-of-the-box or customizable reports with advanced query capabilities
- Best-in-class, real-time JIRA integration at both the requirements and defect levels
With over 10,000 users, 400 customers in 20+ countries, qTest is is one of the best test management solutions on the market today.
Learn more about qTest test managment
Zephyr has 11,000 global customers (and growing) in 100+ countries, with over 20 million tests executed is the # 1 Agile Test Tool. It comes with add-ons for Jira. Zephyr works well if you are looking for all function in a single tool, you can create test suites, test cycles, tests, bugs, reports and so on. For automation integration, you can have ZAPI for automation integration. Zephyr is so effective in its function that it can also be used as a tool separately. Used across industries like finance, healthcare, media, mobile, IT services, and enterprise software.
Main features of Zephyr
- Link to stories, tasks, requirements, etc.
- Create, view, edit and clone tests
- Execute tests
- File defects
- Track quality metrics
- Create custom dashboards
- Perform advanced searches using ZQL
- Plan test execution cycles
- Integration with tools like JIRA, Selenium, QTP/UFT, Bamboo, Jenkins, Confluence
- Well documented REST APIs for custom integrations.
Start your FREE trial of Zephyr for JIRA
PractiTest professional QA and test management solutions helps users to manage their development and testing process, with an end-to-end approach, with great JIRA and many other integration. Starting from requirements, creating and running tests, tracking bugs and reporting them to all relevant stakeholder. You can even embed an external dashboard. Other integration includes (but not limited to): JIRA, Pivotal Tracker,YouTrack,Fogbugz,Bugzilla, RedMine,Github, Selenium, JUnit, SoapUI,QTP,Jenkins,Circle CI ,and Slack.
It is an open source and web-based test management tool. The tool includes planning, reporting, test specification, planning, reporting and requirement tracking. To track progress of the project, reports and charts are available while additional features include assigning keywords, specifying requirements and events log.
Important features of TestLink includes
- Charts Support
- Metrics Support
- Test creation and execution
- User-friendly UI
- Defect Recording
Test Case Lab
Get a fresh look on test case management! When it comes to the best user experience, TestCaseLab gets the highest ranks. It is a tool which combines the incredible design with straightforward userflow. Now you won't waste your time learning the QA team on how to use the software, any user can start working instantly.
Besides that TestCaseLab offers a great pack of features required for every QA professional under very low prices. The cheapest plan starts from $28 / month and you won't need to pay extra charges per each user!
- Wide variety of test case properties
- Test Plans / Requirements
- Test Runs + assign users
- Advanced search
- Integration with: Jira, Redmine, Pivotal Tracker, Asana, YouTrack
- Export / Import
- Basic reporting / insights
- Activity stream, history log
- Real-time synchronisation
QAComplete is a comprehensive test management tool with enterprise-level capabilities but flexible enough to fit all modern development methodologies. It allows you to link your manual and automated tests to defects, requirements and tasks. QAComplete also integrates with many of the tools you already use, such as JIRA, Bugzilla, TestComplete, SoapUI, Jenkins and more!
- Get a comprehensive view of all tests run – manual, automated, API, Selenium
- Prioritize testing efforts and find high-risk defects early
- Establish clear traceability between requirements, test cases, and defects
- Manage and report on manual, Selenium, SOAPUI, Ready! API, and TestComplete tests.
- Decide which manual test cases can be automated to reduce costs
- Access, edit, and update defects in Jira without leaving QAComplete
- Determine test coverage and ensure tests exists for all requirements
Learn more about QA Complete
HP QC has been the most used test management software; it has all the features necessary in many ways. It is one of the high-end tools that provides robust tracking and reporting. ALM can also connect with an e-mail system and send e-mail for any changes to desired team members.
It is designed to avoid common errors faced while testing like bugs, slippage and regression due to inefficiencies in managing the tests. It provides integrated management with data stored in MySQL, and it allows scheduling and running fully automated or manual test campaigns. It can be integrated with all the continuous integration platforms.
Test lodge provides basic four aspects Test Plans, Requirements, Test Suites & Cases, and Test Runs. It has everything it requires to manage test cases while test plans can be generated quickly with ease. Testlodge can be integrated with your existing issue tracking tools to allow ticket and defect reports to be automatically created when a test case fails.
IBM Rational Quality Manager
IBM Rational Quality Manger can be used for automation to accelerate project schedules and report on metrics for informed release decisions. It can be used for tracking online test management, maintaining simple online library, tracking engineering releases, customer releases, etc. It is independent of platform, and it enables managing QA project effectively
Borland Silk Central
Silk Central allows you to unify all test assets into one easy-to-use planning, tracking, reporting and execution hub. With silk central it is easy to recreate issues they have found.
Main features of Borland Silk Central
- Insight into test execution with TestBook
- Create a subscription and generate reports according to your schedule
- It allows testers to share comments and raise questions by posting comments as they test, directly to TestBook
TestRail integrates with a ticket management tool called Gemini; it is one of the best test case management tool. With many other issue-tracking tools, it provides some external link for its test case creation and execution support. It comes with an HTTP-based API to integrate with the automated test results. It manages your functional, exploratory and automated tests with ease. It is a unique, and powerful UI scripts help to customize many aspects of the application and UI.
Main Features of TestRail
- Modern Test Management
- Track Test Results
- Reporting & Metrics
- Seamless Integration
- Flexible custom fields for project
QMetry is a total test management tool that can be run on multiple platforms. This tool syncs seamlessly with many leading bug-tracking and automation tools making a useful test management tool for use in most situations. QMetry updates the metrics in real time and makes defect tracking easy. It saves a lot of time spend behind reporting and sending defects status every-day.
Main features of QMetry
- Customizable Dashboard
- Data Portability
- Flexible Deployment
- Log defects easily
- Advanced Reporting
Testuff is without limits- unlimited tests, testers, projects, and defects can be reported and managed. It is hightly secure and got full backed up environment. In testtuff, tests can be organized by projects, branches, and hierarchical suites. It also allows import and export data from Excel sheet.
Main features of Testtuff
- Integration with any number of bug trackers
- Communicate with team using Twitter integration
- Attach a video to defect reports
- Assign test to specific testers
- Shared steps
- Test Cycle planning using multiple labs
With Gemini, testers can relate their work with development team and customer incidents. Complex problems can be broken down into manageable items with no project limits. It is possible to assign items to multiple team members and also deliver any number of reports to any users or groups automatically. You can subscribe anyone to Gemini to receive notification related to product.
Gemini Main features
- Apps Framework
- Import and Export facility
- Test run records
It is a web-based tool that provides lightning fast UI support. The induction of macros allows the tester to setup its own re-usable steps with a unique identifier that can be used again and again without typing them. Allowing the test cases to group them in different test suites and link, it saves a lot of time spend behind entering duplicate test cases.
Main features of Collab
- Single window more many operations
- Assign steps to multiple users
- Consistent communication with team members
Testopia is a test management extension of Bugzilla; it is designed for tracking test cases. You can also track the progression of weekly or release based testing done by various QA teams. Testopia allows you to create your own test cases, testing reports, and conduct test runs. It can help the QA members in speeding up the QA process, as it has a history of related defects for all its test cases.
Main Features of Testopia
- Test cases and results can be exported to CSV file
- Numerous bug fixes
- Uses the latest Extjs 3.0 library
- Set priorities on individual case runs
- Support XML export and import of test plans and children
- Relate to Bugzilla elements
- Make the connection between bugs and test cases
Fitnesse is a test framework that allows testers, developers and customers to collaborate to create test cases on wiki. This tool is a testing as well as the documentation tool and enables testers, customers, and programmers to create test cases in a platform independent way. Fitnesse works well with almost all programming languages and environment.
RTH-Turbo is an extension of RTH testing management tool. It allows requirement management, defect tracking, test case management, create test plan and analyze the test result. This tool is originally based on TestDirector form HP/Mercury.
Main Features of RTH-Turbo
- Test Case / Test Suite Writing
- Requirement management facility
- Requirement to release the association
- Support to integrate this tool with any test automation tool like Load Runner or Win Runner
Tarantula is an open source test management tool for managing software testing in agile software projects. It supports integration with JIRA, BugZilla, and Doors.
- Tags and Smart Tags for efficient agile testing
- Realtime dashboard views and reporting
- Case version history
- Traceability from requirements to defects
Stryka is an enterprise grade Test Management Tool available on desktop, mobile, and smart watches. Key features of Stryka are
- No installation required. It’s a SaSS tool.
- Adapts to any testing methodology. Supports Agile Testing and Continuous Delivery environments
- Robust Metric, Reporting, and Leaderboards
- Requirements Management, Defect Management & Manual/ Automated Test Execution all in one.
- Easy collaboration amongst all stakeholders
- Easy integration with popular testing tools like Selenium, Jira, Rally et.
Stryka is used by eBay, PepsiCo, Verizon, Vodafone and other fortune 500 companies.
Apart from all these test management tools there are few more tools but with limited features. Most of these tools provide just test case management and leave the bug tracking to be integrated via an external tool.
- VersionOne: It is a commercial product targeting the Agile projects. It has a test management module along with planning, reporting and others
- Aptest: It has all possible features one look into a test management tool
- Spiratest: This commercial tool integrates with automation and unit testing framework, comprising all the QA features in a single tool
- Test Wave: It is also a commercial product but does not require installation. This tool gives a facility to import your already existing requirements/test assets from excel sheets.
- Tosca : Tricentis Tosca Testsuite is an effective end-to-end testing suite for enterprises
- Hiptest : Hiptest is a continuous testing platform that supports behaviour driven development and seamlessly blends in continuous delivery processes. It provides a real-time environment for designing, executing and automating tests. Hiptest is available in the cloud with a free plan and can be deployed on premises as well.