Test management solutions help you capture test requirements, design test cases, test execution reports, resource management, etc. Software quality oversights can cause a company high monetary loss, reputation loss, or expose its litigation risks. A good test management tool is the key to avoiding bugs and defects getting into production.
Following is a handpicked list of Top Test Management Tools, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) tools.
Best Test Management Tools
Tuskr is a powerful yet aesthetically pleasing and intuitive cloud-based test management tool. With its unbeatable pricing, a generous free plan, and a 30-day free trial, Tuskr should be on top of your evaluation list.
- Easily organize test cases into projects, suites, and sections.
- Attach rich meta-data to test cases with custom fields
- Create flexible test runs — from selecting specific test cases to matching complex criteria
- Ensure fair distribution of the testing workload right from your dashboard.
- Visually monitor your test runs using our unique burn-down charts from your dashboard.
- Protect against accidents with our recycle bin; see who changed what with our audit trail.
- Integrate with JIRA and hundreds of other bug and time tracking tools
30-Day Free Trial
PractiTest is an end-to-end test management tool. A common meeting ground for all QA stakeholders, it enables full visibility into the testing process and a deeper broader understanding of testing results.
- A vast array of third-party integrations with common bug trackers, automation tools, and robust API for the rest.
- Fully customizable & flexible for the ever-changing needs of QA teams: customize fields, views, permissions, issue workflows and more
- Reuse tests and correlate results across different releases and products.
- Unique hierarchical filter trees – organize everything and find anything quickly.
- Never work twice – with anti-bug duplicates, permutations, step parameters and call to test
- Visualize data with advanced dashboards and reports
- Fast professional and methodological support
14-Day Free Trial
Xray is the #1 Manual & Automated Test Management App for QA. It’s a full-featured tool that lives inside and seamlessly integrates with Jira. Its aim is to help companies improve the quality of their products through effective and efficient testing.
- Traceability between requirements, tests, defects, executions
- Define reusable preconditions and associate to tests
- Organize tests in folders and test sets
- Test plans for tracking progress
- Test environments
- BDD – Write Cucumber scenarios in Jira
- Integrates with test automation frameworks (Selenium, JUnit, Nunit, Robot, …)
- Built-in REST API
- CI integrations (Bamboo, Jenkins)
- Built-in reports
30-Day Free Trial
TestRail provides comprehensive test case management to help you organize testing efforts and get real-time insights into testing activity. Powerful reports and metrics enable QA teams to increase productivity and deliver fast feedback.
- Easily track the status of individual tests.
- Measure progress with informative dashboards and activity reports
- Compare results across multiple test runs, configurations, and milestones
- Track team workload to adjust assignments and resources
- Highly customizable, with cloud-based or on-premise installation options
- Integrate with defect tracking and collaboration solutions such as Atlassian Jira, FogBugz, Bugzilla, Axosoft, GitHub, and TFS; and with leading test automation tools including Ranorex Studio.
14-Day Free Trial
Testmo is the #1 unified test management tool for modern teams. Manage all your manual test cases, exploratory tests and test automation in one powerful platform.
- Unified testing to track all your QA activities in one tool
- Rich test case management, exploratory test sessions & test automation
- Full issue integration with Jira, GitHub, GitLab and many more
- Full integration with any test automation tool, CI pipeline & DevOps tools
- Best-in-class reporting, metrics and real-time charts
- Fully customizable with fields, workflows & test assignments
- Built-in project management, milestones & versions
- Fast, scalable & enterprise-ready for teams of all sizes
21-Day Free Trial
Zephyr Enterprise is more than a test management solution, we are a test management partner ready to help you achieve all of your testing activities from a single tool. From creating test cases and plans, to defining user requirements and generating reports, Zephyr Enterprise arms you with the insights, flexibility, and visibility necessary to deliver software faster — with fewer bugs!
- Premium Enterprise Support
- Bi-directional Jira Integration
- Enterprise-grade test planning and auditing
- End-to-end traceability
- Flexible support for third-party automation frameworks
- Legacy ALM migration path and transition plan
14-Day Free Trial (No Credit Card Required)
TestMonitor is an end-to-end test management tool for every organization. A simple, intuitive approach to testing. Whether you’re implementing enterprise software, User Acceptance Testing (UAT), need QA, building a quality app or just need a helping hand in your test project, TestMonitor has you covered.
- Requirement and risk-based testing.
- Advanced test case design capable of supporting thousands of cases.
- Robust planning tools with multi-tester runs and milestone cloning.
- Comprehensive result tracking.
- Integrated issue management.
- Smart reporting with many filter and visualization options.
- Revolutionary simple UI.
- Third-party integrations featuring Jira, DevOps, and Slack. REST API included.
- Professional support with quick response time.
14-Day Free Trial
SpiraTest is Inflectra’s world-class test management and QA suite for agile teams. This flexible and easy-to-use platform comes both as an on-premise or SaaS solution and has the industry best practices baked in. Out of the box, SpiraTest is preconfigured to help you get started quickly.
- Bug tracking and requirements management across projects and programs of all sizes
- Test management for all your tests – automated, manual, data-driven – from a customizable control center
- Seamless test generation from requirements, and bugs from tests
- Creation of parameterized test, test review, and scheduling, workflow management.
- Integrates seamlessly with 60 tools on the market including JIRA, Visual Studio, IBM Doors, Perforce, Excel, etc
30-Day Free Trial (No Credit Card Required)
Testiny – one of the top test management tools you should know. It is perfect for small to mid-sized QA teams looking to integrate and manage manual and automated testing in their development process.
- Free for open-source projects and small teams with up to 3 people
- Intuitive and simple out of the box
- Fully customizable (custom fields, …)
- Full integration with any test automation tool, CI/CD pipeline or DevOps tools
- Seamless integration in the development process (e.g. Jira, …)
- Instant updates – all browser sessions stay in sync
- Immediately see when a colleague makes changes, completes a test, …
- Powerful REST API and CLI tools
14-Day Free Trial (No Credit Card Required)
Our top pick is a tool quite unlike the traditional options below. Testpad is a lightweight test planner that’s the perfect upgrade from DIY spreadsheets, aiming to give you just enough process but without the drag of cumbersome test case management.
- Simple enough to use by anyone – no training needed
- Guest testers – bring in extra help when you need it; clients, managers, marketing…
- Reports that make obvious: what was tested, how much to go, “are we ready to release?”
- Natural test plans based on hierarchical checklists
- Create flexible tests you can improve on the fly, during testing
- Adapts to how you want to test: TCM, BDD, or any flavor of Exploratory
30-Day Free Trial
11) Jira Software
Jira Software is a test management tool which also used for DevOps testing. It performs the automatic build, test, and releases in a single place. It supports many technologies and languages like Ducker, Git, SVN, Mercurial, and Amazon S3 buckets.
- Setting up jira is pretty simple
- Run parallel batches tests
- Per-environment permissions feature allows developers and QA to deploy to their environments
- It can trigger builds based on changes detected in the repository, push notifications from Bitbucket
Lifetime Free Basic Plan
12) ALM/Quality Center
HP QC has been the most used test management software; it has all the features necessary in many ways. It is one of the high-end tools that provide robust tracking and reporting. ALM can also connect with an e-mail system and send e-mail for any changes to desired team members.
- It helps you to develop applications accurately.
- It provides real-time visibility into the quality of your application.
- Offers built-in Application Lifecycle Management templates and workflows.
It is one of the best open-source test management tools. This web-based test management tool includes planning, reporting, testing specifications, reporting, and requirement tracking. To track the project’s progress, reports and charts are available, while additional features include assigning keywords specifying requirements and events log.
- Charts Support
- Metrics Support
- Test creation and execution
- User-friendly UI
- Defect Recording
14) IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management
IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management, formerly IBM Rational Quality Manager, can be used for automation to accelerate project schedules and report on metrics for informed release decisions. It is one of the best test case management tools which can be used for tracking online test management, maintaining the simple online library, tracking engineering releases, customer releases, etc. It is independent of platform, and it enables managing QA projects effectively
- It helps you to manage changes across your entire team.
- This test management tool ensures that your product meets all your requirement.
- Enables you to reuse software to improve its efficiency.
It is designed to avoid common errors faced while testing, like bugs, slippage, and regression due to inefficiencies in managing the tests. It provides integrated management with data stored in MySQL, and it allows scheduling and running fully automated or manual test campaigns.
- Offers shared or reusable test cases.
- You can execute 5 different interfaces to perform your Test.
- It can be integrated with all the continuous integration tools.
- It supports both automated and manual test execution.
Test lodge is one of the best test case tools that provide basic four aspects Test Plans, Requirements, Test Suites & Cases, and Test Runs. It has everything it requires to manage test cases, while test plans can be generated quickly with ease. Testlodge can be integrated with your existing issue tracking tools to allow ticket and defect reports to be automatically created when a test case fails.
- It helps you to improve and organize your software testing process.
- You can easily collaborate with your team.
- It enables you to check the instant status of your automated tests.
17) Silk Central
Silk Central allows you to unify all test assets into one easy-to-use planning, tracking, reporting, and execution hub. With silk central, it is easy to recreate issues they have found.
- Insight into test execution with TestBook
- Create a subscription and generate reports according to your schedule
- It allows testers to share comments and raise questions by posting comments as they test, directly to TestBook
Testuff is an online test management tool without limits- unlimited tests, testers, projects, and defects can be reported and managed. It is highly secure and got a full backed-up environment. In stuff, test scripts can be organized by projects, branches, and hierarchical suites. It also allows the import and export of data from Excel sheets.
- Integration with any number of bug trackers, made possible through test management software.
- Communicate with team using Twitter integration
- Attach a video to defect reports
- Assign Test to specific testers
- Shared steps
- Test Cycle planning using multiple labs
With Gemini, testers can relate their work with the development team and customer incidents. Complex problems can be broken down into manageable items with no project limits. It is possible to assign items to multiple team members and automatically deliver any number of reports to users or groups.
- Apps Framework
- Import and Export facility
- Test run records
- You can subscribe anyone to Gemini to receive a notification related to the product.
- Offers features of QMetry test management.
20) Bugzilla Testopia
Testopia is a test management extension of Bugzilla; it is designed for tracking test cases. You can also track the progression of weekly or release-based testing done by various QA teams. Testopia allows you to create your own test cases testing reports and conduct test runs. This test management system can help the QA members speed up the QA process, as it has a history of related defects for all its test cases.
- Test cases and results can be exported to a CSV file using test management software.
- Numerous bug fixes
- Uses the latest Extjs 3.0 library
- Set priorities on individual case run
- Support XML export and import of test plans and children
- Relate to Bugzilla elements
- Make the connection between bugs and test cases
Fitnesse is a test framework that allows testers, developers, and customers to collaborate to create test cases on the wiki. It is one of the best free test management tools, which is a testing and documentation tool that enables testers, customers, and programmers to create test cases in a platform-independent way. Fitnesse works well with almost all programming languages and environments.
- It helps you to collaborate with stockholders.
- It enables you to perform the automated Test without any hassle.
- This application enables you to measure software development progress.
- Allows you to do regression tests
Stryka is an enterprise grade Test Management Tool available on desktop, mobile, and smart watches.
- No installation is required. It’s a SaSS tool.
- Adapts to any testing methodology. Supports Agile Testing and Continuous Delivery environments
- Offers easy test management for jira
- Robust Metric, Reporting, and Leaderboards
- Requirements Management, Defect Management & Manual/ Automated Test Execution all in one.
- Easy collaboration amongst all stakeholders, facilitated by test management software.
- Easy integration with popular testing tools like Selenium, Rally et.
Other Test Case Management Tool Options
Apart from all these test management solution tools and QA tools, there are a few more tools with limited features. Most of these tools provide just test case management and integrate bug tracking via an external test management solution or tool.
- Aptest: It has all possible features one look into a test management tool
- Tosca: Tricentis Tosca Testsuite is an effective end-to-end testing suite for enterprises
What is Test Management?
Test management is the process of overseeing and controlling various activities related to software testing. It involves planning, organizing, and coordinating testing efforts to ensure the successful delivery of high-quality software products. Test management encompasses tasks such as defining test objectives, developing test strategies, and creating test plans that outline the testing approach and scope. It also involves designing and executing test cases, tracking defects, and analyzing test results to identify areas for improvement.
One of the key aspects of test management is resource allocation and scheduling. Test managers are responsible for assigning tasks to the testing team, managing their workload, and ensuring that testing activities align with project timelines. They also play a crucial role in maintaining test environments and coordinating with other stakeholders involved in the software development process.
Test management is essential for effective quality assurance and control. It provides a structured framework for organizing and prioritizing testing activities, ensuring that all necessary tests are executed, and defects are identified and resolved. By effectively managing the testing process, test managers contribute to the overall success of the software development project by delivering reliable, robust, & high-performing software products.
How to Choose the Best Test Management Tools
You need to follow these steps to select the right test management tool:
Step 1) Set your Budget
You should shortlist test management tools based on your budget. You should also consider employee training cost on the tool while factoring the budget.
Step 2) Check their features
Test management tool should be capable of improving overall productivity by focusing on key areas like the granularity of test information, release management tracking, and reporting. Your desired features should be supported by your tool of choice.
Step 3) It should be Agile Ready
Looking into current trends and demand, a test management tool must support Agile, DevOps, Continuous testing
Step 4) Check Support for Automation and API Integration
Automation test results in the test management tool are desirable. Your test management tool must provide ready integration or API to connect with variety of tools.
Step 5) Look for Mobile support
Mobile support(Android, iPhone) in the test management tool is extremely helpful
Step 6) Select a Test management tool that offers maximum support options
You should select one of the best test management tools that offer features like live chat, phone calls, FAQs, raising help desk tickets, etc.
Step 7) Do a Pilot
Before deploying a tool across your organization, it’s prudent to do pilot of the tool either using the free version or asking for demo from the tool vendor. In practise, there is no such thing as the best tool. The best tool is one that satisfies your project needs, improves product quality, empowers your team, and helps you deliver quality software.