Test management solutions help you capture test requirements, design test cases, test execution reports, resource management, etc. Software quality oversights can cause a company high monetary loss, reputation loss, or expose its litigation risks. A good test management tool is the key to avoiding bugs and defects getting into production.
Following is a handpicked list of Top Test Management Tools, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) tools.
Our top pick is a tool quite unlike the traditional options below. Testpad is a lightweight test planner that’s the perfect upgrade from DIY spreadsheets, aiming to give you just enough process but without the drag of cumbersome test case management.
- Simple enough to use by anyone – no training needed
- Guest testers – bring in extra help when you need it; clients, managers, marketing…
- Reports that make obvious: what was tested, how much to go, “are we ready to release?”
- Natural test plans based on hierarchical checklists
- Create flexible tests you can improve on the fly, during testing
- Adapts to how you want to test: TCM, BDD, or any flavor of Exploratory
PractiTest is an end-to-end test management tool. A common meeting ground for all QA stakeholders, it enables full visibility into the testing process and a deeper broader understanding of testing results.
- A vast array of third-party integrations with common bug trackers, automation tools, and robust API for the rest.
- Fully customizable & flexible for the ever-changing needs of QA teams: customize fields, views, permissions, issue workflows and more
- Reuse tests and correlate results across different releases and products.
- Unique hierarchical filter trees – organize everything and find anything quickly.
- Never work twice – with anti-bug duplicates, permutations, step parameters and call to test
- Visualize data with advanced dashboards and reports
- Fast professional and methodological support
Zephyr Enterprise is more than a test management solution, we are a test management partner ready to help you achieve all of your testing activities from a single tool. From creating test cases and plans, to defining user requirements and generating reports, Zephyr Enterprise arms you with the insights, flexibility, and visibility necessary to deliver software faster — with fewer bugs!
- Premium Enterprise Support
- Bi-directional Jira Integration
- Enterprise-grade test planning and auditing
- End-to-end traceability
- Flexible support for third-party automation frameworks
- Legacy ALM migration path and transition plan
TestRail provides comprehensive test case management to help you organize testing efforts and get real-time insights into testing activity. Powerful reports and metrics enable QA teams to increase productivity and deliver fast feedback.
- Easily track the status of individual tests.
- Measure progress with informative dashboards and activity reports
- Compare results across multiple test runs, configurations, and milestones
- Track team workload to adjust assignments and resources
- Highly customizable, with cloud-based or on-premise installation options
- Integrate with defect tracking and collaboration solutions such as Atlassian Jira, FogBugz, Bugzilla, Axosoft, GitHub, and TFS; and with leading test automation tools including Ranorex Studio.
Xray is the #1 Manual & Automated Test Management App for QA. It’s a full-featured tool that lives inside and seamlessly integrates with Jira. Its aim is to help companies improve the quality of their products through effective and efficient testing.
- Traceability between requirements, tests, defects, executions
- Define reusable preconditions and associate to tests
- Organize tests in folders and test sets
- Test plans for tracking progress
- Test environments
- BDD – Write Cucumber scenarios in Jira
- Integrates with test automation frameworks (Selenium, JUnit, Nunit, Robot, …)
- Built-in REST API
- CI integrations (Bamboo, Jenkins)
- Built-in reports
Testmo is the #1 unified test management tool for modern teams. Manage all your manual test cases, exploratory tests and test automation in one powerful platform.
- Unified testing to track all your QA activities in one tool
- Rich test case management, exploratory test sessions & test automation
- Full issue integration with Jira, GitHub, GitLab and many more
- Full integration with any test automation tool, CI pipeline & DevOps tools
- Best-in-class reporting, metrics and real-time charts
- Fully customizable with fields, workflows & test assignments
- Built-in project management, milestones & versions
- Fast, scalable & enterprise-ready for teams of all sizes
TestMonitor is an end-to-end test management tool for every organization. A simple, intuitive approach to testing. Whether you’re implementing enterprise software, User Acceptance Testing (UAT), need QA, building a quality app or just need a helping hand in your test project, TestMonitor has you covered.
- Requirement and risk-based testing.
- Advanced test case design capable of supporting thousands of cases.
- Robust planning tools with multi-tester runs and milestone cloning.
- Comprehensive result tracking.
- Integrated issue management.
- Smart reporting with many filter and visualization options.
- Revolutionary simple UI.
- Third-party integrations featuring Jira, DevOps, and Slack. REST API included.
- Professional support with quick response time.
SpiraTest is Inflectra’s world-class test management and QA suite for agile teams. This flexible and easy-to-use platform comes both as an on-premise or SaaS solution and has the industry best practices baked in. Out of the box, SpiraTest is preconfigured to help you get started quickly.
- Bug tracking and requirements management across projects and programs of all sizes
- Test management for all your tests – automated, manual, data-driven – from a customizable control center
- Seamless test generation from requirements, and bugs from tests
- Creation of parameterized test, test review, and scheduling, workflow management.
- Integrates seamlessly with 60 tools on the market including JIRA, Visual Studio, IBM Doors, Perforce, Excel, etc
Requirements and Test Management for Jira brings the whole software project inside Atlassian suite. The app enables to plan Requirements, write Test Cases and add them to Test Plans, track Test Executions, and report Defects inside Jira instance.
Features and benefits:
- Built-in requirements management
- Solid support for Agile processes and Jira native functionalities
- Tree-structured view with folders and subfolders for each module
- Transparent relations between all app’s elements
- Streamlined process from collecting Requirements to creating Defects
- User-friendly reports for optimal progress tracking: Traceability Matrix, Requirement Coverage, Test Execution and Test Case Execution (User Dashboard available)
- Effortless, plug-and-play configuration
- Hassle-free migration of Test Cases from external tools
10) QAlity Plus
QAlity Plus is a test management tool integrated into Jira. It offers an easy way to report, link, and browse through existing bugs to maximize the efficiency of testing. It also promotes transparency between testers and the team by injecting test definitions into tasks, which helps everyone work and cooperate better.
- Test management integrated into Jira
- Easy creation of tests and testing cycles
- Insights into test performance and past executions during test runs
- Browse through, link, and create defects during test runs
- Built-in reports, including traceability
- Testing dashboard
- Seamless set-up
- Free for up to 10 users
11) ALM/Quality Center
HP QC has been the most used test management software; it has all the features necessary in many ways. It is one of the high-end tools that provide robust tracking and reporting. ALM can also connect with an e-mail system and send e-mail for any changes to desired team members.
- It helps you to develop applications accurately.
- It provides real-time visibility into the quality of your application.
- Offers built-in Application Lifecycle Management templates and workflows.
It is one of the best open-source test management tools. This web-based test management tool includes planning, reporting, testing specifications, reporting, and requirement tracking. To track the project’s progress, reports and charts are available, while additional features include assigning keywords specifying requirements and events log.
- Charts Support
- Metrics Support
- Test creation and execution
- User-friendly UI
- Defect Recording
13) IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management
IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management, formerly IBM Rational Quality Manager, can be used for automation to accelerate project schedules and report on metrics for informed release decisions. It is one of the best test case management tools which can be used for tracking online test management, maintaining the simple online library, tracking engineering releases, customer releases, etc. It is independent of platform, and it enables managing QA projects effectively
- It helps you to manage changes across your entire team.
- This test management tool ensures that your product meets all your requirement.
- Enables you to reuse software to improve its efficiency.
It is designed to avoid common errors faced while testing, like bugs, slippage, and regression due to inefficiencies in managing the tests. It provides integrated management with data stored in MySQL, and it allows scheduling and running fully automated or manual test campaigns.
- Offers shared or reusable test cases.
- You can execute 5 different interfaces to perform your Test.
- It can be integrated with all the continuous integration tools.
- It supports both automated and manual test execution.
Test lodge is one of the best test case tools that provide basic four aspects Test Plans, Requirements, Test Suites & Cases, and Test Runs. It has everything it requires to manage test cases, while test plans can be generated quickly with ease. Testlodge can be integrated with your existing issue tracking tools to allow ticket and defect reports to be automatically created when a test case fails.
- It helps you to improve and organize your software testing process.
- You can easily collaborate with your team.
- It enables you to check the instant status of your automated tests.
16) Silk Central
Silk Central allows you to unify all test assets into one easy-to-use planning, tracking, reporting, and execution hub. With silk central, it is easy to recreate issues they have found.
- Insight into test execution with TestBook
- Create a subscription and generate reports according to your schedule
- It allows testers to share comments and raise questions by posting comments as they test, directly to TestBook
Testuff is an online test management tool without limits- unlimited tests, testers, projects, and defects can be reported and managed. It is highly secure and got a full backed-up environment. In stuff, test scripts can be organized by projects, branches, and hierarchical suites. It also allows the import and export of data from Excel sheets.
- Integration with any number of bug trackers
- Communicate with team using Twitter integration
- Attach a video to defect reports
- Assign Test to specific testers
- Shared steps
- Test Cycle planning using multiple labs
With Gemini, testers can relate their work with the development team and customer incidents. Complex problems can be broken down into manageable items with no project limits. It is possible to assign items to multiple team members and automatically deliver any number of reports to users or groups.
- Apps Framework
- Import and Export facility
- Test run records
- You can subscribe anyone to Gemini to receive a notification related to the product.
- Offers features of QMetry test management.
19) Bugzilla Testopia
Testopia is a test management extension of Bugzilla; it is designed for tracking test cases. You can also track the progression of weekly or release-based testing done by various QA teams. Testopia allows you to create your own test cases testing reports and conduct test runs. This test management system can help the QA members speed up the QA process, as it has a history of related defects for all its test cases.
- Test cases and results can be exported to a CSV file
- Numerous bug fixes
- Uses the latest Extjs 3.0 library
- Set priorities on individual case run
- Support XML export and import of test plans and children
- Relate to Bugzilla elements
- Make the connection between bugs and test cases
Fitnesse is a test framework that allows testers, developers, and customers to collaborate to create test cases on the wiki. It is one of the best free test management tools, which is a testing and documentation tool that enables testers, customers, and programmers to create test cases in a platform-independent way. Fitnesse works well with almost all programming languages and environments.
- It helps you to collaborate with stockholders.
- It enables you to perform the automated Test without any hassle.
- This application enables you to measure software development progress.
- Allows you to do regression tests
Stryka is an enterprise grade Test Management Tool available on desktop, mobile, and smart watches.
- No installation is required. It’s a SaSS tool.
- Adapts to any testing methodology. Supports Agile Testing and Continuous Delivery environments
- Offers easy test management for jira
- Robust Metric, Reporting, and Leaderboards
- Requirements Management, Defect Management & Manual/ Automated Test Execution all in one.
- Easy collaboration amongst all stakeholders
- Easy integration with popular testing tools like Selenium, Rally et.
Apart from all these test management and QA tools, there are a few more tools with limited features. Most of these tools provide just test case management and integrate bug tracking via an external tool.
- VersionOne: It is a commercial product targeting Agile projects. It has a test management module along with planning, reporting, and others
- Aptest: It has all possible features one look into a test management tool
- Tosca: Tricentis Tosca Testsuite is an effective end-to-end testing suite for enterprises
How to choose a Test Management Tool?
You need to follow these steps to select the right test management tool:
Step 1) Set your Budget
You should shortlist test management tools based on your budget. You should also consider employee training cost on the tool while factoring the budget.
Step 2) Check their features
Test management tool should be capable of improving overall productivity by focusing on key areas like the granularity of test information, release management tracking, and reporting. Your desired features should be supported by your tool of choice.
Step 3) It should be Agile Ready
Looking into current trends and demand, a test management tool must support Agile, DevOps, Continuous testing
Step 4) Check Support for Automation and API Integration
Automation test results in the test management tool are desirable. Your test management tool must provide ready integration or API to connect with variety of tools.
Step 5) Look for Mobile support
Mobile support(Android, iPhone) in the test management tool is extremely helpful
Step 6) Select a Test management tool that offers maximum support options
You should select one of the best test management tools that offer features like live chat, phone calls, FAQs, raising help desk tickets, etc.
Step 7) Do a Pilot
Before deploying a tool across your organization, it’s prudent to do pilot of the tool either using the free version or asking for demo from the tool vendor. In practise, there is no such thing as the best tool. The best tool is one that satisfies your project needs, improves product quality, empowers your team, and helps you deliver quality software.
Also Check our list of best requirements management software:- Click Here
❓ What is a Test Management Tool?
Test management tools are used to store information on how testing is to be done, plan specific testing activities, and report the complete status of quality assurance activities.
✔️ Which are the Best Test Management Tools?
Here is the best Test Management Tools list:
- Testpad – Best for finding bugs that matter most
- PractiTest – Best for precise results & flexibility
- Zephyr Enterprise – Best for speed and constantly improvement
- TestRail – Best for manage, track & organizing testing
- Xray – Best for quality management
- Testmo – Best-in-class reporting, metrics and real-time charts
- TestMonitor – Best for Real-time insights
- SpiraTest – Best for Parameterized test, test review, and scheduling
🚀 Why Test Management Tool is important?
Test management tool provides comprehensive test case management, which helps organize testing efforts with real-time insights about the testing process. It enables QA teams to produce powerful reports to increase productivity and quality of products with effective and efficient testing. It also provides full visibility into the testing process.
🏅 What are the advantages of a Test Case Management Tool?
Here are the benefits of using a Test Case Management Tool:
- Capturing requirements
- Designing test cases
- Creating test execution reports
- It allows you to create test plans for tracking progress
- Helps you to measure progress with informative dashboards and activity reports
- It improves test coverage, as it takes care of requirement management and test case creation and execution.
- It makes it simple for the team to view all the testing activities in a single application.
- It consolidates the execution report and gives us visual insights.
- It minimizes duplication in data.
- It should give testing managers a platform to plan, divide, organize, and delegate tasks to team members based on their skills and capabilities.
- A good test management software should provide robust tools to test every component of the testing cycle meticulously.
- It creates room for testers to run multiple tests on autopilot, thus saving time.
- Test management software should be flexible to be adapted to the unique demand of each project.