Whether it is about capturing requirements, designing test cases, test execution reports, informing other team-members about Testing progress etc. a test management tool is mandatory. Even small error in recording these details may lead to catastrophic effect and failure of the project. So, to manage all these details some test management tools can come very handy and useful. Let see some of the Top Free/Paid Test Management Software.
Best Test Management Tools: Free (Open Source) & Paid
Our top pick is a tool quite unlike the traditional options below. Testpad is a lightweight test planner that’s the perfect upgrade from DIY spreadsheets, aiming to give you just enough process but without the drag of cumbersome test case management.
- Simple enough to use by anyone – no training needed
- Guest testers – bring in extra help when you need it; clients, managers, marketing…
- Reports that make obvious: what was tested, how much to go, “are we ready to release?”
- Natural test plans based on hierarchical checklists
- Create flexible tests you can improve on the fly, during testing
- Adapts to how you want to test: TCM, BDD, or any flavor of Exploratory
TestRail provides comprehensive test case management to help you organize testing efforts and get real-time insights into testing activity. Powerful reports and metrics enable QA teams to increase productivity and deliver fast feedback.
- Easily track the status of individual tests.
- Measure progress with informative dashboards and activity reports
- Compare results across multiple test runs, configurations, and milestones
- Track team workload to adjust assignments and resources
- Highly customizable, with cloud-based or on-premise installation options
- Integrate with defect tracking and collaboration solutions such as Atlassian Jira, FogBugz, Bugzilla, Axosoft, GitHub, and TFS; and with leading test automation tools including Ranorex Studio.
Xray is the #1 Manual & Automated Test Management App for QA. It’s a full-featured tool that lives inside and seamlessly integrates with Jira. Its aim is to help companies improve the quality of their products through effective and efficient testing.
- Traceability between requirements, tests, defects, executions
- Define reusable preconditions and associate to tests
- Organize tests in folders and test sets
- Test plans for tracking progress
- Test environments
- BDD – Write Cucumber scenarios in Jira
- Integrates with test automation frameworks (Selenium, JUnit, Nunit, Robot, …)
- Built-in REST API
- CI integrations (Bamboo, Jenkins)
- Built-in reports
PractiTest is an end-to-end test management tool. A common meeting ground for all QA stakeholders, it enables full visibility into the testing process and a deeper broader understanding of testing results.
- A vast array of third-party integrations with common bug trackers, automation tools, and robust API for the rest.
- Fully customizable & flexible for the ever-changing needs of QA teams: customize fields, views, permissions, issue workflows and more
- Reuse tests and correlate results across different releases and products.
- Unique hierarchical filter trees – organize everything and find anything quickly.
- Never work twice – with anti-bug duplicates, permutations, step parameters and call to test
- Visualize data with advanced dashboards and reports
- Fast professional and methodological support
TestMonitor is an end-to-end test management tool for every organization. A simple, intuitive approach to testing. Whether you’re implementing enterprise software, User Acceptance Testing (UAT), need QA, building a quality app or just need a helping hand in your test project, TestMonitor has you covered.
- Requirement and risk-based testing.
- Advanced test case design capable of supporting thousands of cases.
- Robust planning tools with multi-tester runs and milestone cloning.
- Comprehensive result tracking.
- Integrated issue management.
- Smart reporting with many filter and visualization options.
- Revolutionary simple UI.
- Third-party integrations featuring Jira, DevOps, and Slack. REST API included.
- Professional support with quick response time.
TestBench is the only tool in the market combining state-of-the-art test management with efficient smart test design capabilities. Easy to use for everyone, from team to enterprise-level! The unique Exploratory Testing Extension enables immersing into collaborative test sessions. All notes taken by the testers, including screenshots and videos, are collected and visible for the whole team in real-time.
- Test Suites structure test cases into subsets, e.g., to define retests.
- Test Sessions collect and present test execution results.
- AI-based translation of user content, chat, and UI-sharing boost collaboration.
- Complete REST-API to integrate test automation and DevOps or 3rd-party systems.
- Included proven best practice examples.
- Built-in Jira-Sync.
SpiraTest is Inflectra’s world-class test management and QA suite for agile teams. This flexible and easy-to-use platform comes both as an on-premise or SaaS solution and has the industry best practices baked in. Out of the box, SpiraTest is preconfigured to help you get started quickly.
- Bug tracking and requirements management across projects and programs of all sizes
- Test management for all your tests – automated, manual, data-driven – from a customizable control center
- Seamless test generation from requirements, and bugs from tests
- Creation of parameterized test, test review, and scheduling, workflow management.
- Integrates seamlessly with 60 tools on the market including JIRA, Visual Studio, IBM Doors, Perforce, Excel, etc
8) ALM/Quality Center
HP QC has been the most used test management software; it has all the features necessary in many ways. It is one of the high-end tools that provides robust tracking and reporting. ALM can also connect with an e-mail system and send e-mail for any changes to desired team members.
- Helps you to develop application accurately.
- Provides real-time visibility into the quality of your application.
- Offers built-in Application Lifecycle Management templates and workflows.
QADeputy is a modern test management tool designed for small to medium size teams. Boost testing productivity at a fraction of the cost.
- Intuitive dashboard keeps tabs on testing progress.
- Organize tests with Projects, Test Suites, Features, and Test Cases.
- Test Case import wizard for seamless migration from existing solution or Excel.
- Comprehensive requirements reporting and management.
- Full Test Case edits and execution history to run historical reporting.
- Test Runs designed for efficiency and speed.
- Integrations with Ghost Inspector, Reflect.run, Postman, Jira, Runscope, Katalon, and Slack.
- Customize statuses, reusable Test Case steps, test configurations, and more.
- REST API and Free Tier.
TestCaseLab = organized testing = higher quality product. With TClab you can follow such testing activities: creating test cases, categorising them, gathering them in test plans and starting test runs, assigning users to run test, reporting results to Jira etc. The cheapest plan starts from $48 / month for 500 TC, and users are for free! Get a thirty days free trial and check Test Case Lab personally.
- Unlimited users and projects
- Integration with: Jira, Redmine, Pivotal Tracker, Asana, YouTrack, Trello
- Wide variety of test case properties
- Test Plans / Requirements
- Test Runs + assign users
- Export / Import
Requirements and Test Management for Jira brings the whole software project inside Atlassian suite. The app enables to plan Requirements, write Test Cases and add them to Test Plans, track Test Executions, and report Defects inside Jira instance.
Features and benefits:
- Built-in requirements management
- Solid support for Agile processes and Jira native functionalities
- Tree-structured view with folders and subfolders for each module
- Transparent relations between all app’s elements
- Streamlined process from collecting Requirements to creating Defects
- User-friendly reports for optimal progress tracking: Traceability Matrix, Requirement Coverage, Test Execution and Test Case Execution (User Dashboard available)
- Effortless, plug-and-play configuration
- Hassle-free migration of Test Cases from external tools
Klaros-Testmanagement is a proven and popular tool from Germany, which is used worldwide by large and small teams to plan and execute their test activities.
- Planning, creation and execution of tests
- Coordinate, automatically log and evaluate test activities
- Change tracking, versioning, individual categorization
- Interfaces to over 50 bug trackers, CI/CD and test automation tools
- Import and export of data (PDF, Excel, CSV)
- Comprehensive reporting with predefined and user-definable reports
- Free Community Edition and commercial Enterprise Edition, as server installation or cloud-based solution
It is one of the best open source test management tools. This web-based test management tool includes planning, reporting, test specification, planning, reporting and requirement tracking. To track progress of the project, reports and charts are available while additional features include assigning keywords, specifying requirements and events log.
- Charts Support
- Metrics Support
- Test creation and execution
- User-friendly UI
- Defect Recording
14) IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management
IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management formerly IBM Rational Quality Manger can be used for automation to accelerate project schedules and report on metrics for informed release decisions. It is one of the best test case management tools which can be used for tracking online test management, maintaining simple online library, tracking engineering releases, customer releases, etc. It is independent of platform, and it enables managing QA project effectively
- It helps you to manage changes across your entire team.
- This test management tool ensures that your product meets all your requirement.
- Enables you to reuse software to improve its efficiency.
It is designed to avoid common errors faced while testing like bugs, slippage and regression due to inefficiencies in managing the tests. It provides integrated management with data stored in MySQL, and it allows scheduling and running fully automated or manual test campaigns. It can be integrated with all the continuous integration platforms.
- Offers shared or reusable test cases.
- You can execute 5 different interfaces to perform your test.
- Supports both automated and manual test execution.
Test lodge is one of the best test case tools that provides basic four aspects Test Plans, Requirements, Test Suites & Cases, and Test Runs. It has everything it requires to manage test cases while test plans can be generated quickly with ease. Testlodge can be integrated with your existing issue tracking tools to allow ticket and defect reports to be automatically created when a test case fails.
- It helps you to improve and organize your software testing performance.
- You can easily collaborate with your team.
- Enables you to check instant status of your tests.
17) Silk Central
Silk Central allows you to unify all test assets into one easy-to-use planning, tracking, reporting and execution hub. With silk central it is easy to recreate issues they have found.
- Insight into test execution with TestBook
- Create a subscription and generate reports according to your schedule
- It allows testers to share comments and raise questions by posting comments as they test, directly to TestBook
Testuff is without limits- unlimited tests, testers, projects, and defects can be reported and managed. It is hightly secure and got full backed up environment. In testtuff, tests can be organized by projects, branches, and hierarchical suites. It also allows import and export data from Excel sheet.
- Integration with any number of bug trackers
- Communicate with team using Twitter integration
- Attach a video to defect reports
- Assign test to specific testers
- Shared steps
- Test Cycle planning using multiple labs
With Gemini, testers can relate their work with development team and customer incidents. Complex problems can be broken down into manageable items with no project limits. It is possible to assign items to multiple team members and also deliver any number of reports to any users or groups automatically. You can subscribe anyone to Gemini to receive notification related to product.
- Apps Framework
- Import and Export facility
- Test run records
20) BugZilla Testopia
Testopia is a test management extension of Bugzilla; it is designed for tracking test cases. You can also track the progression of weekly or release based testing done by various QA teams. Testopia allows you to create your own test cases, testing reports, and conduct test runs. This test management system can help the QA members in speeding up the QA process, as it has a history of related defects for all its test cases.
- Test cases and results can be exported to CSV file
- Numerous bug fixes
- Uses the latest Extjs 3.0 library
- Set priorities on individual case runs
- Support XML export and import of test plans and children
- Relate to Bugzilla elements
- Make the connection between bugs and test cases
Fitnesse is a test framework that allows testers, developers and customers to collaborate to create test cases on wiki. It is one of the best free test management tools which is a testing as well as the documentation tool and enables testers, customers, and programmers to create test cases in a platform independent way. Fitnesse works well with almost all programming languages and environment.
- Helps you to collaborate with stockholders.
- It enables you to perform the automated test without any hassle.
- This application enables you to measure software development progress.
Stryka is an enterprise grade Test Management Tool available on desktop, mobile, and smart watches.
- No installation required. It’s a SaSS tool.
- Adapts to any testing methodology. Supports Agile Testing and Continuous Delivery environments
- Robust Metric, Reporting, and Leaderboards
- Requirements Management, Defect Management & Manual/ Automated Test Execution all in one.
- Easy collaboration amongst all stakeholders
- Easy integration with popular testing tools like Selenium, Jira, Rally et.
Stryka is used by eBay, PepsiCo, Verizon, Vodafone and other fortune 500 companies.
Apart from all these test management and QA tools there are few more tools but with limited features. Most of these tools provide just test case management and leave the bug tracking to be integrated via an external tool.
- VersionOne: It is a commercial product targeting the Agile projects. It has a test management module along with planning, reporting and others
- Aptest: It has all possible features one look into a test management tool
- Tosca : Tricentis Tosca Testsuite is an effective end-to-end testing suite for enterprises
❓ What is a Test Management Tool?
Test management tools are used to store information on how testing is to be done, plan specific testing activities, and report the complete status of quality assurance activities.
⚡ Why Test Management Tool is important?
Test management tool provides comprehensive test case management which helps to organize testing efforts with real-time insights about the testing process. It enables QA teams to produce powerful reports to increase productivity and quality of products with effective and efficient testing. It also provides full visibility into the testing process.
👉 How to choose a Test Management Tool?
You should consider the following factors before selecting a tool
- Budget: Foremost, shortlist your tool based on budget.
- Productivity: Test management tool should be capable of improving overall productivity by focusing on key areas like granularity of test information, release management tracking and reporting
- Agile, DevOps, Continuous: Looking to current trend and demand, a test management tool must support Agile, DevOps, Continuous testing
- External Integration: Automation test results in the test management tool are desirable, your test management tool must support Automation and Continuous Integration
- Mobile: Mobile support in the test management tool is extremely helpful
- Support: The best test management tool should have support features like live chat, phone call, FAQ’s, raising help desk ticket, etc.
⭐ What are the advantages of a Test Case Management Tool?
Here, are benefits of using a Test Case Management Tool:
- Capturing requirements
- Designing test cases
- Creating test execution reports
- Test plans for tracking progress
- Helps you to measure progress with informative dashboards and activity reports
🚀 Which are the Best Test Management Tools?
Here is a best Test Management Tools list: