What is Storage Testing?
Storage testing is a type of testing which verifies whether the application under test, stores the relevant data in the appropriate directories and whether it has enough space to prevent unexpected termination due to insufficient disk space. It is also called Storage Performance Testing.
Why Storage Testing
- Slow storage means slow response times, long running queries and lower application availability
- Slow storage is an overhead to maintenance of server infrastructure
- It helps to find its practical storage limitation before deployment
- It helps to understand how system will react when new hardware device is replaced or upgraded
Types of Storage Testing
- Application Testing: Application testing with sample queries with production like environment
- Application Simulation: Conduct the testing using standard software similar to a target application
- Benchmarking: Conduct the testing using standard software
Common testing activities involved during storage testing
|Types of Storage Testing||Common storage testing activities involved|
Mistakes while performing Storage Testing
- Monitoring the wrong server performance
- Without clearing the server cache comparing the storage devices
- During testing forgetting to monitor processor utilization
- Testing storage performance with file copy commands
This testing techniques ensures the application under test, stores the relevant data in the appropriate directories.