Python code editors are designed for the developers to code and debug program easily. Using these Python IDE(Integrated Development Environment), you can manage a large codebase and achieve quick deployment.
Developers can use these editors to create desktop or web application. The IDEs can also be used by DevOps engineers for continuous Integration.
Following is a handpicked list of Top Python Code Editors, with popular features and latest download links. The list contains both open-source(free) and premium tools.
PayCharm is a cross-platform IDE used for Python programming. This editor can be used on Windows, macOS, and Linux. This software contains API that can be used by the developers to write their own Python plugins so that they can extend the basic functionalities.
- Provides smart search to jump to any file, symbol, or class.
- Smart Code Navigation
- It offers quick and safe refactoring of code.
- It allows you to access PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, and many other databases from the IDE.
Download Link: https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/
Spyder is a scientific integrated development environment written in Python. This software is designed for and by scientists who can integrate with Matplotlib, SciPy, NumPy, Pandas, Cython, IPython, SymPy, and other open-source software. Spyder is available through Anaconda (open-source distribution system) distribution on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Allows you to run Python code by cell, line, or file.
- Plot a histogram or time-series, make changes in dateframe or numpy array.
- It offers automatic code completion and horizontal/vertical splitting.
- Find and eliminate bottlenecks
- An interactive way to trace each step of Python code execution.
Download Link: https://www.spyder-ide.org/
IDLE (Integrated Development and Learning Environment) is a default editor that comes with Python. This software helps a beginner to learn Python easily. IDLE software package is optional for many Linux distributions. The tool can be used on Windows, macOS, and Unix.
- Search multiple files
- It has an interactive interpreter with colorizing of input, output, and error messages.
- Supports smart indent, undo, call tips, and auto-completion.
- Enable you to search and replace within any window.
Download Link: https://docs.python.org/3/library/idle.html
4) Sublime Text 3
Sublime Text 3 is a code editor which supports many languages including Python. It has basic built-in support for Python. Customization of Sublime Text 3 is available for creating create a full-fledged Python programming environment. The editor supports OS X, Windows, and Linux operating systems.
Price: Free Trial
- Allows you to highlight syntax.
- It has command Palette implementation that accepts text input from users.
- Handle UTF8 BOMs in .gitignore files
- Display badges for folders and file to indicate Git status
- Changes to a file are represented by markers available in the gutter.
Download Link: https://www.sublimetext.com/3
5) Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code (VS Code) is an open-source environment developed by Microsoft. This IDE can be used for Python development. Visual Studio Code is based on Electron which is a framework to deploy Node JS applications for the computer running on the Blink browser engine.
- The editor provides smart code completion based on function definition, imported modules, as well as variable types.
- You can work with Git as well as other SCM providers
- Enable you to debug code from the editor.
- Provides extensions to add new languages, debuggers, themes to gain the advantage of additional services.
Download Link: https://code.visualstudio.com/
Atom is a useful code editor tool preferred by programmers due to its simple interface compared to the other editors. Atom users can submit packages and them for the software.
- Package Manager Integrated for Plugins support
- The feature of smart autocompletion
- Supports Command Palette
- Multiple panes
- Allow cross-platform editing
Download Link: https://atom.io/
Jupyter is a tool for people who have just started with data science. It is easy to use, interactive data science IDE across many programming languages that just not work as an editor, but also as an educational tool or presentation.
- It supports for Numerical simulation, data cleaning machine learning data visualization, and statistical modeling.
- Combine code, text, and images.
- Support for many programming languages.
- Integrated data science libraries (matplotlib, NumPy, Pandas).
Download Link: https://jupyter.org/install.html
PyDev is a third-party Python editor for Eclipse. This editor can be used in not only Python but IronPython and Jython development.
- It has interactive console shortcuts
- Allows you to create a Google App Engine (GAE) Python project
- Find and Go to definition
- Automatically import code to complete it.
- You can Configure Django integration.
Download Link: https://www.pydev.org/
Thonny is an IDE for learning and teaching programming, specially designed with the beginner Pythonista scripting environment. It is developed at The University of Tartu, which you can download for free on the Bitbucket repository for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Allows developers to view how their code and shell commands affect Python variables.
- It has a simple debugger.
- Provides support for evaluating an expression.
- Python function call opens a new window with separate local variables table as well as code pointer.
- Automatically spot syntax error.
Download Link: https://thonny.org/
Wing is a lightweight Python environment which is designed to give you productive development experience.
Price: Wing Pro trial is free. Wind Personal and Wing 101 are paid versions.
- Immediate feedback by writing your Python code.
- Helps you to remove common errors and write better Python code.
- You can check for debug data and try out bug fixes interactively without restarting your app.
- Wing supports test-driven development with various frameworks like the unittest, pytest, nose, doctest, and Django testing.
Download Link: https://wingware.com/
Increase software development data science with a secure and supported Python distribution. ActivePython is software consisting of the Python implementation CPython and a set of various extensions to facilitate installation.
Price: Free for community, however, coder, team, business. Enterprise versions are paid.
- It allows you to connect to your big data and databases, including Redis, MySQL, Hadoop, and MongoDB.
- Helps you to manage your data using, SciPy, Pandas, NumPy, and MatPlotLib.
- Supports machine learning models like TensorFlow, Keras, and Theano.
- Compatible with open-source Python so that you can avoid vendor lock-in.
- Uses OpenSSL patch for security.
Download Link: https://www.activestate.com/products/python/