What is Dev-C++?
Dev-C++, developed by Bloodshed Software, is a fully-featured graphical IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for C and C++ programming. It is distributed under the GNU General Public License for programming in C and C++.
How to Download and Install Dev C++ on Windows
There are many compilers available for C++ programming. You can download anyone. Here, we are going to use Dev C++. It will work for both C++ and C programming languages.
To install Dev C++ software, you need to follow the following steps.
Step 1) First you must download the Dev C++ on your Windows machine. Visit to Download Dev C++: http://www.bloodshed.net/
Step 2) There are packages for different Operating Systems.
Step 3) Under package Dev-C++ 5.0 (18.104.22.168) with Mingw/GCC 3.4.2 compiler and GDB 5.2.1 debugger (9.0 MB) Click on the link “Download from SourceForge”.
Step 4) This package will download C++ .exe file for Windows that can be used to install on Windows 7/8/XP/Vista/10.
Step 5) You will direct to SourceForge website, and your C++ download will start automatically.
- Click on save button to save. By default, it is saved in “Downloads” folder.
- After the download completes, go to the saved .exe file and click on it to Run.
- The installer will ask you a language to select. Select “English” and click on “OK”.
- Then screen for license agreement will appear. Click on “I agree” to proceed further.
Step 6) In this step,
- You can see different components of Dev C++ that will be installed with this package.
- Just click on “next” button.
Step 7) In this step,
- By default, the destination folder is in C drive. You are free to change this destination folder but make sure you have enough memory.
- Click on “Install” button.
In the next screen, installation begins
Now, Dev C++ is installed successfully on your Windows. Select ” Run Dev C++” to run it and click on ” Finish” button.
That’s it! Now you are ready to compile your C or C++ programs with Dev C++ compiler.
Features Of Dev-C++ IDE
Here are some important features of Dev-C++ IDE:
- Dev-C++ IDE allows us to use integrated debugging using GDB.
- Localization feature that provides support for multiple languages.
- Offers editing and compiling the resource files.
- It has a inbuilt find and replace facility.
- Helps you to create your own project templates to create project types.
- It offers support for class browser as well as debug variable browser.
- Provides project manager feature that helps you to manage various projects.
- Provides CVS support for source code management.