A Code Review tool automates the code audit process. They help in static code analysis which is essential to deliver a reliable software application. There are plethora of Code Review Tools in the market and selecting one for your project could be a challenge.
Following is a curated list of top code analysis tools and code review tools for java with popular features and latest download links. The list contains best code review tools including open-source as well as commercial.
Best Source Code Review Tools for Java, .Net & C#
• Comprehensive Review Capabilities
• Enhances the code review process for GitHub, GitLab
• Proof of Review
• Code Correction
• Code Inspection And Modernization
• Code Assistance
• Free OS and cloud versions available
• Free plugins for IntelliJ IDEA, Visual Studio, Eclipse available
• The Embold Score feature helps pinpoint risk areas
Collaborator is a peer code and document review tool for development teams that take quality seriously.
- Comprehensive Review Capabilities – Review source code, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio Diagrams, Adobe PDF, Images and Simulink models all in one tool.
- Enhances the code review process for GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, and Azure DevOps
- Supports 11 version control tools including Git, SVN, TFS, Perforce, CVS, ClearCase, RTC and more.
- Proof of Review – Ensure proof of review with electronic signatures & detailed reports to meet auditing and regulatory compliance standards (ISO26262, 21 CFR Part 11, DO-178C, AS9100, OWASP).
Visual Assist is a well-known productivity extension for Visual Studio and Unreal Engine 4. It’s written by C++ developers for C++ developers and has a wealth of features to enhance developer productivity.
- FAST NAVIGATION – Move about your code with newfound ease—to any file, method, symbol, or reference in your projects and solutions.
- CODE INSPECTION AND MODERNIZATION – Inspect your code for specific quality issues and modernize your older code.
- REFACTORING – Reduce the complexity of your code, improve readability, and make it extensible without changing external behavior.
- CODE CORRECTION – Watch Visual Assist correct mistakes as you make them.
- UNREAL ENGINE 4 – Forge your vision to reality with tailored support.
- CODE ASSISTANCE – Write code faster with assistance that doesn’t get in the way.
Embold is a code review tool that analyses source code across 4 dimensions: code issues, design issues, metrics, and duplication. It surfaces issues that impact stability, robustness, security, and maintainability.
- Patented anti-patterns show class, functional, and method level structural issues in the code that negatively affect maintainability.
- The Embold Score feature helps pinpoint risk areas and prioritize the most important fixes.
- Intuitive visuals like smart heatmaps portray the size and quality of every component of your software at a glance.
- Free OS and cloud versions available.
- Integrates with Github, Bitbucket, Azure, and Git, and supports over 10 languages.
- Free plugins for IntelliJ IDEA, Visual Studio and Eclipse available.
This open-source, lightweight tool, built over the “Git version control system,”. It is one of the best code review tools for python which is useful in project environments where all users are trusted committers as this tool allows them to check overall changes made in the project.
- Gerrit is a code review software which stops the users from pushing directly to the Git repository
- Allows you to find the error in the source code
- Helps you create a new change or makes an update of an existing one
- It is one of the best git code review tools that allows you to intermediate between developers and git repositories
Download link: https://www.gerritcodereview.com/
Codestriker is an open-source, online source code reviewing web application. This code review tool helps you to record issues, comments, and decisions in a database. It is one of the best open source code review tools which can also be used for code inspections.
- It is a code review software that provides support for traditional documents review
- It is one of the free code review tools that can be integrated with Bugzilla, ClearCase, CVS, etc.
- Codestriker tool is licensed under GPL
Download link: http://codestriker.sourceforge.net/
Phabricator is one of the open source code review tools for c# used as code scanner. It also includes light-weight web-based code review, planning, testing, finding bugs, etc.
- Pre-Commit Code Review
- Keeps track of a large number of bugs
- It is one of the best code review tools that helps you to build unique task forms for each department
- Customizable Task Management
- Allows you to write helpful comments and anecdotes
Download link: https://www.phacility.com/
Crucible is one of the best web-based code quality tools. It is used by developers for code review, finding bugs and defects, discussing the changes and knowledge sharing. It is one of the best code review tools for .net which helps to catch major defects and improves code architecture.
- Collaborate right code with inline comments, threaded mentions, and conversations
- It is one of the best code review tools which allows to track project in real time with activity streams showing the latest comments and review updates
- Ensure all files you are reviewing are current as the code is refactored and changed throughout the review process
- Automatically update Jira Software problems based on review activity and or turn review comments into issues with a single click
Download link: https://www.atlassian.com/software/crucible
8) Review Board
Review Board is one of the secure static code analysis tools. It is used for code review and document review by open source projects and companies.
- Review Board is a code review software that can be integrated with ClearCase, Perforce, CVS, Plastic, etc
- The code is syntax highlighted which makes it more readable
- It is one of the best code review tools for c++ that supports pre-commit reviews and post-commit reviews
Download link: https://www.reviewboard.org/
Barkeep is a friendly code review system tool. It offers the easiest method to review code. It allows you to view commits made to any Git repository, see diffs, write comments.
- The tool allows you to emailed to your associate committers
- It is a code review software which supports post-commit workflows
- Offers a clean User Interface which is easily navigable
Download link: http://getbarkeep.org/
Reviewable is one of the best light-weight and powerful static code analysis tools which makes the code review faster and thorough. It helps you to improve the code quality by cleaning the User Interface, finding bugs and highlighting the syntax.
- Fully customizable logic helps you to determine when a review is complete
- Works only with GitHub and GitHub Enterprise, making for seamless integration. Minimal admin work
- It is one of the best code quality tools which provides line comments map across file revisions and stays in place until it is resolved
- Helps you to keep complete track of who reviews which revision of each file to make sure no changes are missed
Download link: https://reviewable.io/
11) Peer Review Plugin
Peer review plugin eliminates the requirement for time-consuming code review meetings as it allows you to review code in a user-friendly web-based environment.
- Improved knowledge transfer
- It is one of the best code analysis tools that helps you to review files from the repository and comment on them
- Export data in MS Word docx format
- Better code and fewer defects
- Support for Git, SVN, and GitHub
Download link: https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/PeerReviewPlugin
Codacy tool automatically identifies issues through static code analysis. Get a quick notification on security issues, code duplication, and code complexity in every pull and commit request.
- It is one of the best static code analysis tools that helps you to identify new issues early in the process and prevent your product from being affected
- Get visibility into the quality of your code
- Seamlessly integrated into your workflow
- The self-hosted solution, packed with first class security on your servers
Download link: https://www.codacy.com/
Code factor tool allows you to have a glance of code quality for the whole project, recent commits, and the most problematic files. You can track and fixed issues for every commit & pull request.
- Get an overview of your code base
- It is one of the best code quality tools that provides seamless integration into your development process
- Allows you to control what should be analyzed
- Helps you to capture every line of code
- Streamline Code Review process and improves actionable reports
- It offers analytical data to understand, contribute and communicate with your peers
Download link: https://www.codefactor.io/
14) Helix Swarm:
Helix swarm is a code review tool that arranges reviews, shares content and sees code review changes. It allows continuous integration deployment. It helps you to monitor progress, automate design process and improves release quality of the project.
- Allows you to do priority filtering
- Customize notification settings to your profile page
- Review independent components simultaneously by attaching multiple changelists to a pre-commit review
- Helps you to keep your code safe by integrating Helix Core with Ping Identity, Okta, and other tools
Download link: https://www.perforce.com/products/helix-swarm
Rhodecode is an open source, secure enterprise source code management tool. It is one of the best open source code review tools that offers an integrated tool for Git, Subversion, and Mercurial.
- It is one of the free code review tools which provides team Collaboration for Better Code Quality
- Rhodecode offers workflow Automation for Faster Collaboration
- Permission Management for Secure Software Development
- Helps you to Integrate an existing code base with new issue tracker tools
Download link: https://rhodecode.com/
Veracode is a code review and static analysis tool. It is built on the SaaS model. It is one of the best source code review tools which allows you to analyze the code from a Security point of view. This tool uses binary code/bytecode and ensures 100% test coverage.
- Test desktop, web, or desktop apps of any size with consistent, processes and policies even when the source code is not available
- Test multiple applications without a manual and automate configuration
- Automate different workflows with streamlined and integrated testing in your SDLC
- Improve the productivity of your code with the continuous review process
JArchitect is one of the best java code review tools which is easy to use tool for analyzing the Java code. After each review, it sends a report about the development of your project. It is one of the best code review tools for java which helps you to improve code maintainability.
- JArchitect code rules are LINQ queries which can be generated within the second
- JArchitect is one of the java code review tools which helps you to find hundreds or even thousands of issues affecting a real-world code base
- The developer is immediately informed when new issues are found
Download link: https://www.jarchitect.com/
❓ What is Code Review Tool?
A Code Review tool automates the code audit process. Code review process help in static code analysis, which is essential to deliver a reliable software application.
✅ Which are the Best Code Review Tools?
Here are some of the Best Code Review Tools:
- Visual Assist
🏅 Which factors should you consider while selecting a Code Review Tool?
You should consider the following factors before selecting a code review tool.
- Flexible and easy-to-use.
- Quality of Customer support.
- License cost, if applicable.
- In the case of an outsourcing project, you need to factor customer/Client Preference of the tool.
- The cost involved in training employees on a tool.
- Hardware/Software requirements of the code review tool.
- Support and Update the policy of the tool.
- Reviews of the company.