Code coverage is an important measure that quantifies the degree to which the source code of the program has been tested. There is a plethora of Code Coverage Tools in the market and selecting one for your project could be a challenge.
Following is a curated list of Top 13 handpicked Code Coverage tools with popular features and latest download links
Coco-platform is a multi-language code coverage tool. Automatic source code instrumentation helps you to measure test coverage of statements, branches, and conditions.
- Coco allows you to perform statement coverage, branch coverage, MC/DC and other levels
- Coco supports C, C++, C#, Tcl, and QML
- Helps you to merge multiple execution reports to provide advanced analysis
Parasoft Jtest offers integrated Java development testing for the enterprise. The tool allows you to accelerate Java software development by providing a set of tools for keeping your software reliable and secure. This helps you to improve the quality of your software and minimize business risks.
- Prevent reliability and security issues from entering production
- Unit testing for active development
- Helps you to understand where to focus your testing activities
- Get visibility into your Java quality with immediate feedback
Cobertura is a popular open source code coverage tool. It allows you to execute tasks via Maven and Ant, or the Cobertura CLI. You can embed with other multiple QA tools.
- Allows you to measure coverage without having the source code
- Helps you to find which parts of your Java program are lacking test coverage
- Allows you to represent reports in HTML and XML format
- Helps you to test lines and branches of the class & method
Download link: https://cobertura.github.io/cobertura/
Coverage.py is another useful code coverage tool. It helps you to monitor Python programs, notes which are parts of the code have been executed.
- Coverage.py helps you to specify what source files you want it to analyze via the configuration file
- It also helps you to analyze the source to find out code that which could have been executed but was not.
Download link: https://coverage.readthedocs.io/
JaCoCo is a free Java code coverage tool distributed under the Eclipse Public License. It is an open source free code coverage tools for Java, which has been made by the EclEmma.
- JaCoCo offers instructions, line and branch coverage
- It supports Java 7 and Java 8
- Helps you to test lines and branches of the class & method
- Offers easy to navigate HTML or XML report
Download link: http://www.eclemma.org/jacoco/
OpenClover tool helps you to measures code coverage for Java and Groovy and collects over 20 code metrics. It helps you to display untested areas of your application. It helps you to combines coverage and metrics to find the riskiest code.
- Helps you to runs your test faster
- Allows you to focus what's necessary for your test
- Both branch and statement coverage support
- Allows you to generate XML-based report that, combined with ReportGenerator, produces TML-based report on coverage
- Helps you to keep the balance between application and tests
Download link: http://openclover.org/
7) Bullseye Coverage
BullseyeCoverage is a code coverage software for C++ and C that tells you how much of your source code was tested. This tool allows you to perform unit testing, integration testing, and final release.
- Provide better coverage measurement
- Helps you to create more reliable code and save time
- Allows you to Include or exclude any portion of the project code
- Merge results from distributed testing
Download link: http://www.bullseye.com/
NCover is an advanced level code coverage tool for.Net programs and applications. It provides support for statement coverage and branch coverage. This code coverage tool is available on open source and as well as on commercial license.
- .NET code coverage according to your customized needs
- Helps you to test, track and manage a unified coverage number across entire teams
- Detailed and centralized data about coverage
- Extensive documentation and user support
- This tool helps you to perform manual and coverage tests
- Deliver products to market faster and confidently in agile environments
Download link: http://www.ncover.com/
9) Vector Software
VectorCAST allows you to implement consistent processes for managing test activities and reporting key quality metrics. This software testing tool offers a cost-effective approach to unit testing, regression management, and code coverage analysis.
- Easy Test Collaboration
- System Test Automation
- Quality trend & change Impact Analysis
- Allows parallel Testing
- Web-based Quality Dashboard
Devel cover offers code coverage metrics for Perl. With the help of this code cover tool, you can discover areas of code not exercised by your tests. It helps you to tests to create to increase coverage.
- Offers some reports which include various types of HTML output, textual reports
- Statement, branch, condition, subroutine, and pod coverage information is reported
dotCover offers by JetBrains is a .NET unit test runner and code coverage tool. It allows you to integrate with Jet brains rider with Visual Studio. You can also calculate reports statement-level code coverage in applications for .NET, Silverlight or .NET Core.
- Allows you to visualize code coverage according to your business needs
- Provides a console utility for use with a Continuous Integration server
- Helps you to customize your coverage analysis with a coverage filter
- Allows you to use a shortcut to finds out which unit tests cover a particular statement
Download link: https://www.jetbrains.com/dotcover/
12) Visual Studio
Code coverage feature of Visual Studio helps you to determine what part of your project's code is tested by coded tests like unit tests. The tool allows you to view the previous set of results.
- Helps you to view a previous set of results
- Make results readable as text, select export code coverage results
- Allows you to merge results of several runs
- Allows you to export Code Coverage Results to save the results of a merge operation
Download link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-IN/library/dd537628.aspx
- Collection of reporters offers both terminal and HTML output
- Support for instrumenting subprocesses, using the NYC command-line-interface
Download link: https://istanbul.js.org/