Code coverage testing is an important measure that quantifies the degree to which the source code of the program has been tested. There is a plethora of Code Coverage Tools in the market and selecting one for your project could be a challenge.
Following is a curated list of Top handpicked Code Coverage testing tools with popular features and latest download links
Code Coverage Tools for Java, Python, C++, .Net: Free & Paid
Cobertura is one of the popular open source code coverage tools. It allows you to execute tasks via Maven and Ant, or the Cobertura CLI. You can embed with other multiple QA tools.
- Allows you to measure coverage without having the source code
- It is one of the best java code coverage tools which helps you to find which parts of your Java program are lacking test coverage
- Allows you to represent reports in HTML and XML format
- Helps you to test lines and branches of the class & method
Download link: https://cobertura.github.io/cobertura/
Coverage.py is another useful code coverage tool. It is one of the best test coverage tools which helps you to monitor Python programs, notes which are parts of the code have been executed.
- Coverage.py helps you to specify what source files you want it to analyze via the configuration file
- It also helps you to analyze the source to find out code that which could have been executed but was not.
Download link: https://coverage.readthedocs.io/en/6.0/
JaCoCo is a free Java code coverage tool distributed under the Eclipse Public License. It is an open source free code coverage tool for Java, which has been made by the EclEmma.
- JaCoCo offers instructions, line and branch coverage
- It is one of the best java code coverage tools which supports Java 7 and Java 8
- Helps you to test lines and branches of the class & method
- Offers easy to navigate HTML or XML report
Download link: https://www.eclemma.org/jacoco/
OpenClover tool helps you to measures code coverage for Java and Groovy and collects over 20 code metrics. It helps you to display untested areas of your application. It is one of the best test coverage tools that helps you to combine coverage and metrics to find the riskiest code.
- Helps you to runs your test faster
- Allows you to focus on what’s necessary for your test
- Both branch and statement coverage support
- Allows you to generate XML-based report that, combined with ReportGenerator, produces TML-based report on coverage
- Helps you to keep the balance between application and tests
Download link: http://openclover.org/
5) Bullseye Coverage
BullseyeCoverage is a code coverage software for C++ code coverage and C that tells you how much of your source code was tested. This tool allows you to perform unit testing, integration testing, and final release.
- Provides better c++ code coverage measurement
- It is one of the best test coverage tools which helps you to create more reliable code and save time
- Allows you to Include or exclude any portion of the project code
- Merge results from distributed testing
Download link: http://www.bullseye.com/
NCover is one of the advanced level code coverage tools for.Net programs and applications. It provides support for statement coverage and branch coverage. This code coverage tool is available on open source and as well as on commercial license.
- .NET code coverage according to your customized needs
- Helps you to test, track and manage a unified coverage number across entire teams
- Detailed and centralized data about coverage
- It is one of the .net code coverage tools that offer extensive documentation and user support
- It is one of the best c# code coverage tools that helps you to perform manual and coverage tests
- Deliver products to market faster and confidently in agile environments
Download link: http://www.ncover.com/
7) Vector Software
VectorCAST allows you to implement consistent processes for managing test activities and reporting key quality metrics. This software testing tool offers a cost-effective approach to unit testing, regression management, and code coverage analysis.
- Easy Test Collaboration
- System Test Automation
- Quality trend & change Impact Analysis
- Allows parallel Testing
- Web-based Quality Dashboard
Devel cover offers code coverage testing metrics for Perl. With the help of this code cover tool, you can discover areas of code not exercised by your tests. It helps you to tests to create to increase coverage.
- Offers some reports which include various types of HTML output, textual reports
- Statement, branch, condition, subroutine, and pod coverage information is reported
Download link: https://metacpan.org/release/PJCJ/Devel-Cover-1.23
dotCover offers by JetBrains is a .NET unit test runner and code coverage tool. It is one of the best c# code coverage tools which allows you to integrate with Jet brains rider with Visual Studio. You can also calculate reports statement-level code coverage in applications for .NET, Silverlight or .NET Core.
- Allows you to visualize code coverage according to your business needs
- It is one of the best .net code coverage tools which provides a console utility for use with a Continuous Integration server
- Helps you to customize your coverage analysis with a coverage filter
- Allows you to use a shortcut to finds out which unit tests cover a particular statement
Download link: https://www.jetbrains.com/dotcover/
10) Visual Studio
Code coverage feature of Visual Studio helps you to determine what part of your project’s code is tested by coded tests like unit tests. The tool allows you to view the previous set of results.
- Helps you to view a previous set of results
- Make results readable as text, select export code coverage results
- Allows you to merge results of several runs
- Allows you to export Code Coverage Results to save the results of a merge operation
- Collection of reporters offers both terminal and HTML output
- Support for instrumenting subprocesses, using the NYC command-line-interface
Download link: https://istanbul.js.org/
❓ What is Code Coverage?
Code coverage is a measure that describes the degree of which the source code of the program has been tested.
🚀 Which are the Best Code Coverage Tools?
Below are some of the Best Code Coverage Tools:
- Bullseye Coverage
- Vector Software
❗ Why use Code Coverage?
Here are some prime reasons for using code coverage:
- It helps you to measure the efficiency of test implementation.
- It offers a quantitative measurement.
- It defines the degree to which the source code has been tested.
⚡ Which factors should you consider while selecting Code Coverage Tool?
You should consider the following factors before selecting Code Coverage Tool
- The efficiency of the tool.
- License Cost, if applicable.
- Quality of Customer support.
- The cost involved in training employees on the tool.
- Hardware/Software requirements of the tool.
- Support and Update policy of the tool vendor.
- Reviews of the company.