To build a successful career in finance, having the right skills and knowledge is crucial. It provides you with skills to stay ahead in a competitive environment. But choosing the best financial modeling courses can be challenging, with so many options.
These online financial modeling courses cover financial statement analysis, building models from scratch, and valuation techniques. Additionally, these courses help you gain the practical skills required in the professional world. To help you succeed in your finance career, we have curated a list of the best financial modeling courses for 2023. Whether your aim is investment banking or corporate finance, these online courses will equip you with the skills and expertise.
Best Online Financial Modeling Courses with Certificate
|Business and Financial Modeling Specialization||Coursera||• Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling
• Decision-Making and Scenarios
|Beginner||6 Months||Yes||Learn More|
|Beginner to Pro in Excel: Financial Modeling and Valuation||Udemy||• Financial Functions
• Financial modeling basics
|Beginner||15.5 hours of on-demand video course||Yes||Learn More|
|Financial Modeling for Startups & Small Businesses||Udemy||• Modeling best practices
• Modeling growth
|Intermediate||11.5 hours of on-demand video||Yes||Learn More|
|Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Capstone||Coursera||• Diversification (Finance)
|Beginner + Intermediate||Approx. 13 hours||Yes||Learn More|
|Become a Certified Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA)®||CFI||• Financial modeling
• Valuation techniques
|Beginner to Advanced||4-6 Months||Yes||Learn More|
1) Business and Financial Modeling Specialization (Coursera)
Specs: Overall Rating: 4.5 | Duration: 6 Months | Level: Beginner | Courses: 5 Specializations | Free Trial: 7-day | Fee: $79/month | Certificate: Yes
The Business and Financial Modeling Specialization by the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania on Coursera. It is a highly respected program and the best course for financial modeling. It equips you with practical financial modeling, data analysis, and decision-making skills.
The course is for learners with varying experience in finance and modeling. One of the prime USPs of this course is that instructors use a combination of videos, readings, quizzes, and assignments to help you develop your skills.
This fintech course suit professionals from diverse fields and cover basic statistics, financial statement analysis, financial forecasting, and risk analysis. With practical financial modelling, data analysis, and decision-making abilities, you can follow a variety of career options in finance and accounting.
You can follow various professional routes in accounting and finance once you have completed this course. Investment banking, corporate finance, consultancy, and asset management are all viable career options.
- Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling.
- Introduction to Spreadsheets and Models.
- Decision-Making and Scenarios.
- Modeling Risk and Realities.
- Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Capstone.
- Practical financial modeling skills.
- Flexible and suitable for professionals from diverse fields.
- 100% Shareable Certification upon completion.
- Interact with a global community of learners.
- Available in English with subtitles in multiple languages.
|👍 Pros||👎 Cons|
|Comprehensive financial modeling and analytics coverage by experts.||Requires significant time commitment, which can be challenging.|
|Hands-on experience to better use Microsoft Excel.||Heavy reliance on Microsoft Excel.|
|Applicable to various business contexts and careers.||Assumes some prior knowledge in finance or accounting.|
Specs: Overall Rating: 4.5 | Duration: 15.5 hours on-demand video | Level: Beginner | Courses: 30 sections – 307 lectures | Free Trial: 7-Day| Fee: $24.99/month | Certificate: Yes
Beginner to Pro in Excel is an online course offered by Udemy that helps you develop your financial modeling skills using Microsoft Excel. The course is from 365 Careers, a well-known provider of finance and accounting courses. It is one of the best financial modelling courses.
More than 300 lectures totaling 150 hours of material make up the course. It has activities, quizzes, and video lectures. The course content is simple to learn using case studies and real-world examples. It offers useful knowledge about financial modelling.
This will assist you in understanding financial modelling and is regarded as one of the best Excel financial modelling courses. You will be able to create professional-grade financial models in Excel. Additionally, the topics will cover financial statement analysis, forecasting, building financial models from scratch, and valuation techniques. Upon successful completion, you will earn a certificate that will help you get better opportunities.
- Introduction to Excel.
- Financial Functions.
- Business analysis techniques applied in Excel.
- Financial modeling fundamentals.
- Introduction to company valuation.
- Introduction to Capital budgeting.
- Great for beginners and professionals.
- Taught by 365 Careers.
- Includes 300+ lectures and 15+ hours of content.
- Real-life Examples and case studies.
- Offers a certificate of completion from Udemy.
|👍 Pros||👎 Cons|
|Focuses on imparting in-depth financial modelling knowledge to the learners.||It may be too basic for advanced users.|
|Suitable for beginners and professionals.||No direct interaction with the instructor.|
|Practical examples and case studies are available.|
Specs: Overall Rating: 4.3 | Duration: 11.5 hours on-demand video | Level: Intermediate| Courses: 16 sections – 92 lectures | Free Trial: 7-day | Fee: $129.99 | Certificate: Yes
Financial Modeling for Startups & Small Businesses is the one of the best financial modeling courses offered by Udemy. It focuses on financial modeling for small businesses and startups.
Evan Kimbrell and Symon He are the instructors. Entrepreneur and business consultant with extensive expertise, Evan. Famous author, entrepreneur, and MBA graduate, Symon is also a businessman.
The training emphasizes investor presentation decks, forecasting, budgeting, financial statements, and valuation. It is intended for entrepreneurs, owners of small firms, and anybody else interested in understanding financial modelling for SMEs.
This financial modeling specialization program includes seven practical case studies. Each focuses on a specific financial model and covers various types of businesses, such as SAAS and physical product businesses. The case studies provide a hands-on learning experience to apply your knowledge in real-world scenarios.
The highly practical course will help you create professional-grade financial models. You will earn a certificate after the successful course to showcase your acquired skills.
- Modeling best practices.
- Modeling growth and revenue.
- Modeling startup costs and expenses.
- Case Studies.
- Focuses on financial modeling in terms of multiple business scenarios.
- Covers financial statements, forecasting, budgeting, valuation, and investor pitch decks.
- Taught by Evan Kimbrell and Symon He.
- Includes 92 lectures and over 10 hours of content.
- Offers practical insights based on real-world scenarios.
|👍 Pros||👎 Cons|
|Suitable for entrepreneurs and small business owners.||It may not be the right course for intermediate to some extent.|
|Includes practical tips and insights.||No direct interaction with the instructor.|
|Comprehensive coverage of financial modeling for small businesses.||Focuses solely on financial modeling for small businesses.|
4) Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Capstone (Coursera)
Specs: Overall Rating: 4.6 | Duration: Approx. 13 hours | Level: Beginner + Intermediate |Fee: Free | Certificate: Yes
The best course for financial modelling is Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Capstone from Coursera Learning, since most professionals can benefit from it. This is for you if you wish to pursue a profession in the area. Richard Lambert, a professor of Finance at University of Pennsylvania and a researcher, is the instructor for this financial modelling course available on Coursera.
A range of models, including financial statements, investment banking, M&A, buyout, and DCF models, are used throughout the course to provide students with a broad understanding of financial modelling. Business, finance, and accounting professionals interested in learning about financial modeling should take this course.
The practical course provides the skills you need to create professional-grade financial models. The course material includes real-life examples and case studies, which provide practical insights into financial modeling.
- Financial Modeling Basics.
- Yahoo Finance
- Creating an optimal risky portfolio on the efficient frontier
- Optional exercise using CAPM tables
- Creating Your Asset Allocation & Final Presentation
- Building and Maintaining Models.
- Covers financial modeling fundamentals.
- Suitable for business, finance, and accounting professionals.
- Taught by Richard Lambert, a finance professor and financial modeling expert.
- Includes Course Videos & Readings, Practice Quizzes & Graded Quizzes with Feedback
|👍 Pros||👎 Cons|
|Designed to help gain a wide range of skills.||It may not cover advanced financial modeling techniques.|
|Offers practical insights through real-life examples and case studies.||Limited interaction with the instructor.|
|Self-paced learning of financial modeling foundation with no time constraints.||It may require additional resources for learners looking to advance their skills beyond the basics.|
Specs: Overall Rating: 5 | Duration: 4-6 Months | Level: Beginner to Advanced | Courses: 39 Courses | Free Trial: NA | Fee: $497/year for self-study and $847/year for full immersion | Certificate: Yes
Becoming a Certified Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA)® by CFI is one of the best online courses available. This program is for professionals seeking to advance their financial modeling and valuation skills.
The program consists of 39 courses that cover a wide range of topics. The common ones include financial modeling, valuation, budgeting and forecasting, Excel skills, and more. Of these, 15 must learn financial modeling. The rest are electives.
Industry experts teach the FMVA® program. It features over 100 hours of interactive video content, quizzes, and tests to reinforce learning. Upon completing the program, you will earn a prestigious FMVA® certification recognized by top employers and institutions worldwide.
Scott Powell, Jeff Schmidt, Duncan McKeen, and Tim Vipond are the instructors for the course. Entrepreneur Tim serves as CFI Education’s board chair. Director of Content at CFI is Scott Powell. Both financial modelling and EVP are areas of expertise for Duncan.
With lifetime access to the program and support, you can improve their competency levels across the accounting and finance spectrum.
- Prep Courses: To build the fundamental.
- Core Courses: To have a strong base in financial modeling and valuation.
- Elective Courses: A minimum of 3 electives (out of 18 available) to explore more advanced topics and specialized subjects.
- 8 optional prep courses to review fundamentals.
- 12 core courses to build a strong financial modeling and valuation foundation.
- Minimum of 3 electives (out of 18 available) to explore advanced topics.
- FMVA® final exam to earn program certification with a minimum passing grade of 70%.
- Learn how to structure models to instill stakeholder confidence.
- Improve competency levels across the accounting and finance spectrum.
|👍 Pros||👎 Cons|
|Cover all basic to the advanced section.||Expensive compared to other online courses.|
|Lifetime access to program and support.||It requires a significant time commitment.|
|Offers you a certification that can add to your portfolio.||It is not suitable for beginners with no prior experience in financial modeling.|
|Recognized by top employers and institutions.|
Specs: Overall Rating: 4.4 | Duration: 5 hours on-demand video | Level: Beginner | Courses: 13 Sections- 89 Lectures | Free Trial: 7-day | Fee: $24.99/month | Certificate: Yes
One of the best courses available is called Financial Modeling: Build a Complete DCF Valuation Model on Udemy. The best online course available to learn financial modelling is this one. Enroll in this course if you want to learn how to evaluate a company and how to create a DCF model from the start.
Throughout the course, you will develop an in-depth understanding of the mechanics of DCF valuation. You will gain practical experience in building DCF models that reflect the real-world practices used by financial professionals. The course is highly dynamic and interactive, with a strong emphasis on learning by doing.
The course includes quizzes and assignments to reinforce learning. It will help you with practical implementation as well. One of the advantages of this course is that it offers lifetime access to the course material. You will earn a certificate at the course’s end.
- Forecasting of key P&L items and key Balance Sheet.
- Introducing weighted average cost of capital and perpetuity growth rate.
- Calculating continuing value and the enterprise value of the business.
- 5+ hours of on-demand video content.
- Financial modeling online course with 134 downloadable resources.
- Lifetime access to course material.
- Quizzes and assignments to reinforce learning.
- Learn financial statement analysis, forecasting, and DCF modeling.
|👍 Pros||👎 Cons|
|Taught by an industry expert.||Some prior knowledge of finance and accounting may be helpful.|
|Interactive mode of learning through various modes.||The course may be too advanced for freshers.|
|Hands-on experience building a complete DCF model.||Some advanced financial modeling techniques are not covered.|
|Allows users to use information in the future as well.|
7) Excel Business and Financial Modeling PowerPack Course (Skillshare)
Specs: Overall Rating: 4.6 | Duration: 4h 47m | Level: All levels | Free Trial: 1-month | Certificate: Yes
“Excel Business and Financial Modeling PowerPack” course teaches individuals the fundamentals of financial analysis and modeling. It is one of the comprehensive financial modeling courses covering the basic to the advanced level. It will help you gain complete insights to stay ahead in the competitive environment.
The course consists of 37sections and takes approximately 4 hours to complete. It is taught by industry experts, providing real-world insights and practical knowledge. The program also includes quizzes and exercises to reinforce key concepts and test understanding.
The best part of this course is that it is taught by multiple industry experts that help you gain insights into different domains. At the end of the course, you will get a certificate upon successful completion.
- Become an expert in financial modeling with MS Excel
- Financial Modeling Foundations.
- Learn how to build a solid financial model
- Financial Modeling and Forecasting Financial Statements.
- Demonstrate excellent Excel skills at work
- Corporate Financial Statement Analysis.
- Managerial Economics.
- Comprehensive and diversified curriculum to learn financial modelling.
- Self-paced course taught by industry experts.
- Best suited for professionals from diverse fields and beginners.
- 100% Shareable Certification upon completion.
- Opportunity to learn and interact with a global community of learners.
|👍 Pros||👎 Cons|
|Comprehensive coverage of financial analysis and modeling.||Lack of personalized instruction and the need for self-motivation to complete the program.|
|High-quality instructors and the flexibility of online learning.||No direct job placement or networking opportunities.|
Specs: Overall Rating: 4.4 | Duration: 10 Hours 57 Minutes | Level: Intermediate | Fee: $16.99/month | Certificate: Yes
Financial Modeling in Excel by Irfan Sharif. He is a well-known financial modeling professional. Your grasp of financial modelling strategies will be deepened by taking this course. It covers all aspects of financial modelling in full of beginning to end, aiding in developing a successful career.
If you wish to excel in financial modeling courses, this course covers in-depth analysis and understanding of financial modeling and even quality assurance. You will learn to build financial models from scratch, analyze data, to make informed financial decisions.
The course is suitable for learners with some background in finance or accounting who want to improve their financial modeling skills.
- Understanding Financial modeling.
- Learn Basic Finance, Time Value of Money and DCF
- Learn to prepare Financial Models in Excel
- Learn all the key Accounting & Finance terms for Financial Modeling
- Finalizing and Presenting Your Model.
- Full lifetime access
- Provides downloadable resources files for practice.
- Suitable for learners with basic Excel skills.
|👍 Pros||👎 Cons|
|Offers an in-depth understanding of modeling techniques.||Doesn’t cover advanced Excel functions used in financial modeling.|
|Practical examples and downloadable exercise files to apply concepts.||Learners may need additional resources to grasp the material fully.|
|Allows you to learn one of the most in-demand skills for finance graduates.|
Specs: Overall Rating: 4.6 | Duration: 16 Hours | Level: Advanced | Courses: 5 Specializations | Free Trial: 7-day | Fee: $79/month | Certificate: Yes
Advanced Valuation and Strategy – M&A, Private Equity, and Venture Capital course is from Erasmus University Rotterdam. It provides a comprehensive understanding of advanced valuation techniques in M&A, private equity, and venture capital industries. You’ll pick up analysis skills and how to evaluate business plans and financial accounts. You can employ valuation tools to assess businesses, such as multiples analysis and discounted cash flow (DCF).
Additionally, the course covers the process of mergers and acquisitions, including deal structuring, financing, and post-merger integration. You will also explore the nuances of private equity and venture capital, including their investment, deal structures, and exit strategies.
This course is ideal for professionals who want to expand their knowledge of corporate finance and valuation. It is also good for those considering investment banking, private equity, or venture capital careers. You will get a certificate for successful completion at the end of the course.
- Discounted Cash Flow Analysis.
- Corporate Strategy.
- Corporate Real Options.
- Option Games.
- Covers advanced valuation techniques in M&A, private equity, and venture capital.
- Includes financial statement analysis, DCF, multiple analysis, and deal structuring.
- Explores private equity and venture capital investment strategies and exit strategies.
- Earn a certificate upon completion.
|👍 Pros||👎 Cons|
|Comprehensive coverage of advanced valuation techniques.||No direct interaction with instructors or peers.|
|Taught by experienced faculty from Erasmus University, Rotterdam.||It may require prior knowledge of basic financial concepts.|
|Self-paced learning with quizzes and assignments.|
To build a career in finance or investment banking, having the right skills and knowledge in financial modeling is essential. The best online courses and classes can help you learn financial modeling, covering financial statement analysis, building models, and valuation techniques. You can enhance your expertise and success in this field with the right training. This list of the best course for financial modeling can help you select the right one to achieve your goals in 2023.