Document management system is a cloud-based automated solution for creating, organizing, sharing, and securing business documents and files. It enables you to track your document version without any hassle. This cloud storage system provides faster reviews and approvals workflow for different stakeholders located at multiple geographical locations. It allows you to easily access your business documents from tablets and smartphones.
Following is a handpicked list of Top Document Management Systems with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
BEST Document Management System
|Local File System Sync||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No|
|File Conflict Management||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Digital Rights Management||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Cloud Storage Without Local File System Sync||No||No||No||No||N/A|
|Platforms||Windows, Mac, iOS||Windows, Linux, Mac||Webapp, iOS or Android||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android||Web App, Windows|
|Link||Learn More||Learn More||Learn More||Learn More||Learn More|
Templafy is a document management system that helps businesses to streamline tasks. This software automatically shows the most relevant content to each employee based on position and usage. It enables you to manage content from a simple dashboard.
Templafy allows you to connect all DMS data directly to documents. It provides a faster workflow for creating business documents. This application ensures all documents created through DMS are stored correctly.
- Provides easy access to relevant company content from the document.
- Allows you to build accurate content quickly.
- It automatically fixes content inconsistency with a single mouse click.
- You can integrate this tool with Dropbox, Salesforce, Box, G Suite, and more.
- It can connect and combine appropriate data from the DMS.
- This cloud storage software enables you to access documents from tablets and smartphones.
Price: On Request
Zoho Projects is a collaboration and document management tool created by Zoho. This software helps you to plan your projects, assign tasks, and communicate effectively. It enables you to merge documents, graphics, video clips, reports, spreadsheets in one place.
Zoho Projects enables you to share files of your organization with other people. It also helps you to keep track of your document versions. This tool allows you to search for files using the words written in the content or title and instantly view the result.
- Everyone working on a project can log his/her billable & non-billable hours using timesheets.
- Allows you to create an issue and track them as they get fixed and tested.
- The team will always access the latest version of all project documents.
- Integrates easily with third-party apps like Google, Zapier, GitHub, Dropbox.
- It has good customer reviews.
eFileCabinet is a document management software that enables you to import documents in one place. It uses a centralized solution for all your documents. This tool streamlines everyday tasks to increase the productivity of the employees.
It enables you to sign a contract with eSignature. This app allows you to share encrypted files with other people. It uses Zonal OCR for automated form filling.
- You can access your documents from Android and iOS apps.
- It allows you to set a complex password to your document.
- You can track the document version with ease.
- This cloud document management enables you to instantly retrieve a file.
- Enables you to schedule a free demo.
- This software has excellent customer reviews.
Price: $55/ per Month
Bitrix24 is a collaborative document management tool for teams with large and small sizes. This software is available in both cloud and on-premise with source code access. It enables you to place documents, presentations, and videos for download or private use.
Bitrix24 manages the version of previous documents. It enables you to edit the files on your PC without any hassle. This application can be integrated with external online storage sites like Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.
- This digital filing system is fully customizable.
- Your organization employees can upload files from personal accounts.
- It helps you to create a custom workflow for draft submissions and contract revisions.
- Bitrix24 enables you to open documents using OpenOffice and MS office.
- It automatically saves your documents to Bitrix24 account.
- Offers on-demand Bitrix24 demo.
Bit.ai is a smart document management system that helps firms to organize knowledge by projects, teams, and departments. This tool enables you to create unlimited number of workspaces without any hassle.
It enables you to organize your document content in folders and subfolders. This program offers themes for transforming your documents into a new look with just one mouse click.
- It helps you to get useful information of documents.
- You can run analysis report on any document.
- This cloud document management software enables you to manage user roles and permissions.
- Bit.ai allows you to customize workflow.
- It supports 100+ file formats.
Bynder is a CMS with million-plus users around the world. It provides different document management features. It helps professionals to accelerate the creation of video and other content and get the right assets to the people and systems that need them, and ensure brand compliance.
- Great collaboration tools
- Easy to create shareable style guides.
- Ideal for marketing
- Digital asset management
- Offers creative workflow.
- It has excellent customer reviews.
- Bynder can accelerate the end-to-end creative content lifecycle.
- It enables you to securely share files both internally and externally without any hassle.
Docuware is a document management and workflow automation tool. It enables you to keep your critical business information secure and accessible. This application enables you to share, edit and archive contracts.
It uses data encryption to securely access the content. This tool allows you to add notes, comments, signatures in documents.
- This digital filing system offers automated invoice processing.
- You can access your content from any device.
- Enables you to organize your employee records with ease.
- Allows you to store all your documents on cloud-based storage.
- It has good customer reviews.
SharePoint is a web-based document management software that helps you to store, manage, share, and access important information from any device. This tool enables you to collaborate effortlessly and securely with other members.
It allows you to automate your repetitive tasks without any hassle. This tool enables you to exchange data, synchronize files, and more.
- Enables you to manage your documents with ease.
- It offers a comprehensive enterprise management facility.
- This document management solution makes complex workflow simple and easy.
- It has good customer reviews.
Logicaldoc is one of the best document management systems that can be used for small and large enterprises and organizations. It allows you to create and coordinate documents using a robust platform. This tool enables you to store and process important content without any hassle.
It helps you to quickly retrieve content and automate business workflow and tasks. This application provides seamless integration with MS Office and Microsoft Outlook.
- It improves your business productivity through collaboration.
- Offers digital watermarking.
- Allows you to annotate content.
- It helps you to manage file versioning.
- Enables you to develop documents on-premises or cloud.
- This document management solution can be accessed from Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Alfresco is a tool that makes your document management process simple and easy. It allows you to track your document with minimal effort. This tool groups file to easily discover content.
It enables you to manage your documents across 60+ applications like FileNet, Documentum, and OpenText. This software has a built-in workflow to simplify document approval and review. It offers filters that enable you to retrieve relevant content faster.
- You can access your documents offline.
- It allows you to add index in your document.
- Enables you to archive your document.
- This software can be accessed from mobile, web, and desktop.
- Allows you to control the version of documents with no trouble.
Openkm is one of the best document management systems to store and manage your content. This application makes the distribution of files simple and easy. It allows you to monitor workflow status, tasks, and processes.
Openkm software can scan and securely store all your paper documents. It enables you to create a personal document for each user. This app can perform a virus scan of all uploaded documents.
- It helps you control your enterprise content.
- You can collaborate with other people on projects and documents.
- Offers add-ons for Excel, Outlooks, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Allows you to send a document as an email attachment or via document URL.
- Enables you to find needed documents with ease.
- You can add comments to documents.
- Enables you to access past versions of documents.
IncoDocs is a tool that enables you to digitize the management of documents with ease. This application helps you to create sales and shipping files faster. It enables you to eliminate manual data entry work and costly delays of shipments.
IncoDocs allows you to connect your team in one shared workspace for remote work. It offers document templates that can be easily stored in a secure cloud environment. This application helps you to minimize the inefficient document export process.
- Offers digital signatures and stamps.
- Enables you to import data from existing sources.
- This product allows you to integrate with your existing software.
- You can access it from any device.
- It is one of the best document management software that helps you to create commercial invoices with ease.
AODocs is a platform to create, share and manage your content. It allows you to easily create collaterals, processing invoices, and handling contracts. This app helps you to streamline business-critical and content-driven processes.
It enables you to generate documents directly from G Suite. This tool helps you to securely share content with other people in just a few clicks. It offers intuitive ways to search your content from metadata, folders, and more.
- It can retain the disposal of your corporate content.
- This file management software provides an unlimited storage facility.
- It offers a user-friendly dashboard that provides real-time reporting on your business.
- AODocs has automated document template approval process.
- It has a drag and drop feature for the easy creation of documents.This tool ensures that your users only have access to the right version of documents.
14) FileNet Content Manager
FileNet Content Manager is a tool that enables you to extract useful information from documents with ease. This application combines enterprise content, security, and storage features with ready-to-use workflow.
It provides secure access across more than one content store and automates the classification of files. This application enables you to quickly collaborate with other people.
- It helps you manage the versioning of the documents.
- This application automatically modifies documents depending on the role of the user.
- It can create index fields and content types.
- FileNet content manager offers API to build and integrate content services into your business.
15) Compleo Hybrid
Compleo Hybrid is a digital document management solution that enables you to transform, convert and deliver your content. It allows you to add indexing in your documents. This application can create efficient workflow that is secure from the release of the document to delivery. It helps you to optimize broadband and resources for better processing of produced documents.
- It can handle high volumes of documents.
- Allows you to perform document archiving.
- You can control the document version with minimal effort.
- This file management software enables you to add electronic signatures to your documents.
- You can assemble documents without any hassle.
Docupace is a tool that automatically organizes and stores all documents in a secure digital vault. This application allows you to track the actions to identify suspicious activity.
It enables you to assign roles and permissions to manage users and records. This software helps you to reduce expenses associated with record filing, maintenance, data entry, etc.
- You can access your documents from any device.
- Offers true cloud-based WORM (Write Once, Read Many) storage.
- It uses encryption techniques to help you maintain the security of your documents.
- This application allows you to manage your documents with SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission).
- Enables you to assign roles and permissions to access documents. RA
CartaDC is software that enables you to create automatic workflows with minimal effort. It gives you quick visibility into all of your documents from any place. This application allows you to store documents online safely and securely.
It helps you to save time by automatically routing documents to the right people for approval. This app offers compliance monitors to build reports, retention schedules, and alerts with GDPR functionality.
- You can share any number of documents with internal and external stakeholders.
- It supports browsers like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari.
- Can be easily accessed from Windows and Mac operating system.
DocLink is a tool that enables you to effectively track and manage business documents. This application keeps your files secure and easy to find and manage.
It enables you to assign roles and permissions to determine the access and capabilities for each user. This tool helps you to track document changes in less time.
- It is integrated with ERP solutions.
- Provides easy access to all your documents.
- Helps you to increase productivity and collaboration.
- It automates document distribution.
- You can personalize software with smart forms.
- Allows you to control information throughout the document lifecycle.
- You can access documents from your mobile.
❓ What is Document Management System?
Document management system is a cloud-based automated solution for creating, organizing, sharing, and securing business documents and files. It enables you to track your document version without any hassle. This cloud storage system provides faster reviews and approvals workflow for different stakeholders located at multiple geographical locations. It allows you to easily access business documents from tablets and smartphones.
✅ Which are the Best Document Management Software?
Here are some of the Best Document Management Software:
- Zoho Projects
- Microsoft SharePoint
⚡ Does DMS provide version controlling?
Yes. Advanced DMS systems provide automated version controlling facility. It helps you to manage all the versions of your files. Document Management System also enables you to retrieve necessary files instantly without any hassle.
🏅 Can DMS be used in Document scanning?
Yes. A good electronic document management system has document scanning features. It helps you to scan your paper-based invoices, forms, and other valuable files.
🚀 Can Document Management Systems handle multi-client projects?
Yes. A good document management system has a capability to handle multi-client projects and small projects seamlessly.
💻 How do you choose Document Management Software?
Here are the important aspects that help you to choose Document Management Software:
- Searching: You have to look for a wide variety of options for quickly finding needed files. It is good that it allows you to search documents by name, content, type, and modified date.
- Simple file structure: The Document Management System must have an easy-to-use file structure.
- Version control: Version control or versioning is important feature of document management software that enables you to track changes in files. The best DMS should also maintain an archive of old versions. Therefore, you can easily see the modifications in documents.
- Mobile access: You have to look for the Document Management System that is accessible via tablets and smartphones. This will allow you to view, alter and share files from any place.
- Integration: The document management system should easily integrate with other software you are already using, like CRM software and email client.
- Scanning: The document management software should provide a document scanning feature.
- Security: The document management system must allow you to assign permissions for a particular user on accessing folders and files.
❗ What is the best way to file documents?
Here are the best ways to file documents:
- Alphabetical filing system: The best way to file documents is to filing your documents alphabetically. The name of a folder should be according to the name of the documents.
- Numerical filing system: Businesses that need number documents like invoices should create a numerical filing system.
- Category filing system: You need to arrange your files according to categories like personal, marketing, administration, and customer data. It is also possible to include sub-topics for each category as per your need.
⭐ What are the common integrations of Document Management Software?
Here are some important Document Management Software integrations:
- Accounting: It will help you to manage and store your tax documents, financial information, customer bills, and project management.
- CRM: It enables you to transfer, store and organize the details of customer leads.
- Email: You can integrate Microsoft Outlook in your PC as it enables you to store and manage your emails with ease.
- Digital Signature: It automatically allows you to capture a digital signature on files.
👉 How does electronic Document Management System work?
Here is the working process of a Document Management System:
- Capture documents: The document capturing facility will help you to save your files so that you can easily find them later. This is possible because of the indexing feature of DMS. You can also add some metadata for searching them without hassle.
- Central document storage: A DMS has central document storage. This is important for managing and retaining documents that come from multiple places.
- Document retrieval and distribution: A DMS includes document retrieval and distribution. It is important to ensure that you utilize and share your documents without any trouble.
⚡ Mention common applications of Document Management Software
Here are the common applications of Document Management Software:
- Document capture and imaging: It uses the latest imaging technology to digitize your printed documents. These applications are integrated with file readers and search features.
- Record management: Modern Document Management System can secure records by classifying and archiving your sensitive information.
- Contract management: Document Management Software can facilitate the workflow for creating and revising particular types of contracts.
- Indexing: It assigns data to documents either in a library or archive to make them searchable. This metadata can be properties such as author and file format.
🏅 What are the latest trends in Document Management?
Here are some of the important trends that can be seen in the document management system market:
- Mobile-friendly tools: Document management system vendors are developing mobile-friendly tools that provide you a seamless experience between your PC and smartphone. Therefore, providing an intuitive interface on the phone is also becomes crucial.
- Focus on collaboration capabilities: Document management software are offering collaboration features such as accessing block files. Many tools also integrate social sites to improve teamwork skills and reduce errors when more than one user works on the same document.
❓ What are the deployment options for Document Management Software?
There are two deployment options for Document Management Software: 1) Cloud-based software and 2) On-premise software.
1. Cloud-based software:
Cloud-based software are hosted over the internet instead of installed onto your PC. It enables you to access your documents from any place.
Cloud-based software has the following deployment options:
- It has lower document management costs and provides easy scalability.
- Data is stored in third-party servers. This will reduce the burden of controlling it.
- Accessible from any internet-connected device.
2. On-premise software:
On-premise software are generally applications that are installed on the local system. It enables you to configure, manage, and control your data with ease.
On-premise software has the following deployment options:
- This type of software has higher upfront costs but does not have any recurring expenses.
- It takes a long implementation time.
- Updates are the responsibility of user.
- All your data is stored on self-managed servers that give users good control over it.
- It is customizable in terms of data control and security.
💻 What is a modern filing system?
A Modern filing system is a type of filing system in which the letters or documents are chronologically placed in folders in a horizontal manner. The latest documents are placed on top and the oldest at the bottom in the folder.
❗ What are the different types of documentation?
Different types of documents include source code documents, software architecture documentation, help guide documentation for advanced users, and quality assurance document.