C# (C Sharp) is one of the most popular programming languages widely used for building Windows applications, mobile applications, and games.
It is a middle-level programming language, so it is easy to understand and user-friendly. Moreover, C# contains fewer libraries, and it has a faster execution time; therefore, it is widely used in embedded programming.
Programming in C# becomes very easy using a C# IDE. There are many C# IDE software available in the market that contains a source code editor, a debugger, build automation tools.
Following is a handpicked list of Top 9 C# IDE with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
Best C# IDE
|VS Code||MacOS, Windows, Linux.||Learn More|
|SlickEdit||Windows, Linux, Mac, and Raspberry Pi.||Learn More|
|Eclipse aCute||Windows||Learn More|
1. VS Code
- Easy working with Git and other Software Configuration Management providers.
- Offers code refactoring & debugging.
- This C sharp IDE is easily extensible and customizable.
- Visual Studio Code runs on Node JS easily.
- Omni sharp server helps you to change the values in the drop-down that helps you to manage with different API calls.
- Supported platforms: MacOS, Windows, Linux.
Kite is C# IDE for Java that automatically completes multiple line codes. This editor supports more than 16 languages. It helps you to code faster with no hassle.
- It offers Java documentation.
- This editor provides a function signature as you type.
- You will get a tooltip on mouse hover.
- Provides support in email.
- Supported platform: Windows
SlickEdit is a cross-platform, multi-language code editor with support for over 60 languages on nine platforms. It allows you to sync with version control integration. This C# IDE offers smart editing features and also provides increased productivity.
- Symbol analysis and navigation
- Syntax expansion and indenting
- Multiple cursors and selections
- This product offers version control support with Shelving.
- You can use a compiler and debugger for your code to show all errors for quick access.
- Its standard and pro editions are available with affordable plans as per your needs.
- Provides JUnit integration
- Supported platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, and Raspberry Pi
4. Eclipse aCute
Eclipse aCute is a language-based extension that provides development tools for C# and .NET Core. It allows resource allocation towards other language features. This one of the best C# IDE provides great features for developers who are looking to build a customized code editor of their own.
- It provides ready-made code templates.
- This tool automatically validates Syntax.
- Eclipse enables you to manage the project remotely.
- Supported platform: Windows.
Notepad++ is a popular free to use C# code editor. It uses pure Win32 API, which offers great execution speed and smaller program size. This free C# IDE runs only in the Windows environment, and it uses GPL License.
- Auto-completion: Word completion, Function completion.
- It offers macro recording and playback.
- It also offers user-defined syntax highlighting and folding.
- This C# compiler supports a multi-language environment.
- Provides customizable GUI interface.
- Multi-language and multi-view support.
- Supported platforms: Windows and Linux.
Rider is a cross-platform C# IDE, which works perfectly with the IntelliJ platform and ReSharper. It is designed to function with .NET Framework and .NET Core.
- It provides 2200+ live code inspections and hundreds of context actions and refactoring.
- It allows you to split the editor either horizontally or vertically.
- It helps you visualize project dependencies in your solution.
- Allows you to run and debug unit tests based on NUnit, xUnit.net, or MSTest.
- This C Sharp IDE helps you work with SQL and databases without leaving Rider.
- It supports Windows, Linux, Mac platforms.
Atom is C# code editor tool preferred by programmers because of its simplicity compared with other editors.
- Offers package manager integrated for Plugins support.
- Provides an option for smart autocompletion.
- This free C# IDE supports Command Palette.
- This free C# complier allows cross-platform editing.
- Allows you to import TextMate grammars and themes.
- Fast project-wise search and replace.
- Multiple cursors and selections.
- It supports MacOS, Windows, and Linux.
DevExpress is one of the best C# IDE, which helps you create elegant, high-impact user experiences with emulator. It also provides high-performance decision support systems and analytics dashboards.
- Desktop UI components
- Offers office file and PDF API
- It also offers a fully integrated suite of UI controls, reporting tools, and dashboards.
- This C sharp IDE provides reporting and analytics.
- Offers cross-platform .Net app development.
Codeanywhere is one of the best C# IDEs that helps you save time by deploying a development environment in seconds. It also enables you to code, learn, build, and collaborate on your projects.
- You can preview your projects using private URLs with a preconfigured SSL certificate or assign your domain.
- Provides a fully-featured development environment with dedicated memory and disk space.
- You can stick with your favorite development tools and workflows.
- It helps you view and insert possible completions to speed up your coding.
- This free C# complier helps you to save time by deploying a development environment.
- Helps you debug code with breakpoints, call stacks, and an interactive console.
- This application enables you to share the project with your colleague.
- It helps you to compare two files side by side.
- Codeanywhere helps you to easily move or copy a folder from one server to another.
- It enables you to save changes to a remote server.
- Expandable with a vast amount of existing extensions.
- Supported platforms: Windows.
- Write C# in your favourite text editor.
- You can use this C# IDE for programming that helps you manage dependencies easily.
- This C# IDE allows you to bootstrap the environment for new scripts.
- Helps you write and execute an application with ease with less and clean code.
- Providing the option of Syntax highlighting in visual studio code.
- Provides plugin for Omni-sharp that will give immediate syntax highlighting.
❓ What is C#?
C# (C Sharp) is a general-purpose, multi-paradigm programming language developed by Microsoft that runs on the .NET Framework. C# is widely used for building Windows applications, mobile applications, games.
✅ Which are the Best C# IDE?
Here are some of the Best C# IDE:
- VS Code
- Eclipse aCute
❗ What is IDE in C#?
C# IDE is an application that offers comprehensive facilities to programmers for software development. An IDE generally contains a source code editor, a debugger, build automation tools.
⚡ Why use C# IDE?
Here are the reasons for using C# IDE:
- It provides you ready-made code templates.
- This tool automatically validates syntax.
- It supports code refactoring.
- It supports syntax coloring.
- It allows you to set breakpoints.
- It offers a robust debugger.
🏅 Applications of C Sharp Programming
C Sharp programming is widely used for developing Desktop applications, Web applications, Web services, large scale Windows applications, and developing Games.