Success in any test automation depends on identifying the right tool for the project. With a plethora of open-source and commercial automation tools to choose from, automation Testing tool selection can become tricky. Here is a curated list of best automated tools -
mabl delivers scriptless end-to-end test automation, integrated with your delivery pipeline, so you can focus on improving your app.
Using proprietary machine learning models, mabl automatically identifies and surfaces application issues quickly, so you can:
- Fix bugs fast - Robust test output helps you diagnose and fix bugs fast, before they impact your customers.
- Ship more code - Tests are automatically repaired when your UI changes so you can spend less time maintaining tests.
- Maintain quality - Prevent bad releases with automated regression insights on every build.
Over 14,000 users worldwide accelerate testing with Ranorex Studio, an all-in-one tool for test automation. Ranorex is easy for beginners with a codeless click-and-go interface, but powerful for automation experts with a full IDE for C# or VB.NET, and open APIs.
- Functional UI and end-to-end testing on desktop, web, and mobile
- Cross-browser testing
- SAP, ERP, Delphi and legacy applications.
- iOS and Android
- Run tests locally or remotely, in parallel or distribute on a Selenium Grid
- Robust reporting
Ranorex integrates with leading solutions like Git, TFS, Jenkins, Bamboo, Bugzilla, SpecFlow, NeoLoad, TestRail and more for a complete testing toolchain.
TestCraft is a codeless Selenium test automation platform. The revolutionary AI technology and unique visual modeling allows for faster test creation and execution while eliminating test maintenance overhead. Testers create fully automated test scenarios without coding. Customers find bugs faster, release more frequently, integrate with CI/CD and improve overall quality of their digital products.
- No programming skills required. Leverage manual testers’ business knowledge and allow them to create automated test scenarios
- Substantially reduce maintenance costs. Scripts are automatically adjusted to change due to our AI mechanism. Major changes are adapted with a few clicks
- Selenium based. Quickly integrate and leverage modules developed by the community
- Provides immediate time to value. Nothing to install (SaaS). Easy to master
Squish is the new GUI Test Automation tool of choice for more than 3000 companies worldwide to automate the functional regression tests and system tests of their graphical user interface (GUIs) and Human Machine Interfaces (HMIs). The Squish GUI testing tool, a 100% cross-platform tool, features
- In-depth support for all major GUI technologies
- Full support for all desktop, mobile, web and embedded platforms
- Test script recording
- Powerful and reliable object identification and verifications (object-based and image based)
- No dependency on screenshots or visual appearance
- Powerful integrated development environment (IDE)
- A wide range of popular script languages for test scripting
- Full support for Behavior Driven Development (BDD)
- Full control via command line tools
- Integrations with Test Management and CI-Systems
TestCafe Studio is a cross-platform, end-to-end web testing platform. TestCafe Studio allows you to create, run and maintain automated web tests with zero code.
- Built-in Visual Test Recorder – No code required.
- Cross-platform and Cross-browser – run tests on Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android and within Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge and IE.
- No Additional Tools Required – No need for WebDriver, browser plugins or other testing software.
- Auto-generated Element Selectors - TestCafe Studio generates a selector for each page element used in the test, and provides a list of alternative selectors that cover various test scenarios.
- Built-in Waiting Mechanism
LEAPWORK Automation Platform enables you to do test automation without writing code. Test cases are built as flowcharts on a design canvas by putting together powerful building blocks. The blocks include all the commands and logic needed for automating applications. All UI elements and operations are captured and defined with just a few clicks. Anyone can build powerful test cases using the full-featured automation platform features:
- Test applications in any operating system, any desktop or mobile device, and any browser version.
- Data driven automation
- Fast troubleshooting with visual documentation
- Enterprise Grade platform with encrypted database storage
- Integrates with your CI/CD pipeline
- Extensive user support - Live chat with automation engineers, learning center with tutorials and help articles and frequent product releases based on user input.
LambdaTest is one of the leading cloud based cross browser testing platform which empowers users to perform automated compatibility testing of their website or web applications on a combination of 2000+ real browsers & OS.
- Automated Cross Browser Testing on 2000+ real Browsers & OS
- One click bug logging with tools like JIRA, Asana, Github, Slack, Monday.com etc.
- Integration with various CI/CD tools like Circle CI, Jenkins, Travis CI etc.
- Live interactive testing through VM hosted on LambdaTest cloud.
- Automated screenshot testing on 25 combinations at a time
Zephyr is the #1 selling test management tool, providing end-to-end solutions for agile teams of all sizes. Get the flexibility, visibility, and insights you need to release better software FASTER
- 1-click Integration with JIRA, Confluence, Jenkins, Bamboo, and more
- Cloud, Server, and Data Center Deployment Options
- Advanced Analytics and DevOps Dashboards
- No Annual Commitment Required
- Get - More Information
TestArchitect is a codeless test automation tool that focuses on scaling up automation coverage & productivity by leveraging Keyword Driven Testing. A small number of more-technical testers can support a much larger group of less-technical testers to achieve 80% automation coverage and more with TestArchitect.
- Codeless automation that uses Action Based Testing, a modern form of Keyword Driven Testing for high reusability and less maintenance costs.
- Intuitive spreadsheet IDE just like Excel
- Supported platforms: desktop, cross-browser, mobile testing, API, computer vision testing, etc.
- Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, macOS, Androids & iOS
- Integration plugins with most of the leading CI/CD/DevOps tools such as Azure DevOps, TFS, Jenkins, etc.
Functionize is a cloud-based automated testing technology that combines functional, performance, and load testing into a single platform. It leverages machine learning and AI that learns any application, speeding up test creation, diagnosis, and maintenance.
- Simply type what you want to test in plain English and NLP creates functional test cases
- Fully autonomous test creation from liver user data
- Execute thousands of tests in minutes from all desktop and mobile browsers
- Root cause analysis automatically identifies all potential test failures and provides 1 click updates
- Self-healing tests
Automai's AppVerify provides continuous automated testing with 100% accuracy from the front end. Codeless and intuitive scenario builder lets you build complex scenarios with no scripting. Works with all your business processes whether through Citrix, web apps, or fat client.
- Code-free scripting
- Test all your test cases faster
- Define your outcomes with validation points.
- Guaranteed to work with any environment: Citrix, web, fat client
- Know your tests are covering your current business needs
- Dictate what test scripts and test data are being used
- Keep testing consistent across projects
Selenium is an open-source web automation tool, currently in demand, and widely used tool in the market. It can automate across multiple OS Like Windows, Mac, and Linux and browsers like Firefox, Chrome, IE, as well as Headless Browsers.
13) HP UFT (aka QTP)
HPE Unified Functional Test is leading cross-platform automation testing tool. It can automate Web, Desktop, SAP, Delphi, Net, ActiveX, Flex, Java, Oracle, Mobile, PeopleSoft, PowerBuilder, Siebel, Stingray, Visual Basic amongst other applications. The list is of development environment it can automate is huge!
UFT uses VBScript as the scripting language.
The tool is tightly integrated with HP ALM (Test Management Tool) and HP LoadRunner (Performance Testing Tool)
Some of the distinguishing features of UFT include Business Process Testing, keyword driven framework, XML support, robust checkpoints, test results.
Watir is an open source web automation testing too.It is pronounced as "water."
Watir supports IE on windows. Watir + WebDriver supports FireFox, Opera, and headless browser HTML Unit.
The scripting language is Ruby, but you can automate web apps developed in any language.
Using Ruby, Watir gives you features to connect with the database, read flat files, excel – important for data-driven testing. You can reusable test code that can be repeated across test scripts.
Integrates with BDD tools like RSpec, Cucumber, etc.
15) IBM Rational Functional Tester
Rational Functional Tester is commercial automation testing tool from IBM. Its supports a wide range of development environments like Siebel, Net, SAP, Java, PowerBuilder, Flex, Dojo amongst others.
It supports 2 scripting language Java and VB.Net
Rational Functional Tester(RFT) integrates tightly with IBM Rational Quality Manager (test management tool).
The tool supports functional testing, regression testing & Data-driven testing.
Storyboard Testing is a unique feature to RFT where the test script is recorded as a series of a screenshot of the actions performed against the Application Under Test. The tester can make changes to the screenshots to enhance the script.
16) Telerik Test Studio
It supports 2 scripting language C# and VB.Net
Test Studio can connect with source control systems like Team Foundation Server and GIT and execute Continuous Testing.
Telerik allows you to schedule tests, execute testing in parallel and has robust test reporting features.
17) Silk Test
Silk Test is a functional and regression automation testing tool from MicroFocus.
Silk Test Provides 3 products Workbench, Silk4J, and Silk4NET. Workbench use VB.net scripting language, Silk4J & Silk4NET can use Java/VB.NET, C#, etc
SilkTest supports Cross-browser testing, Mobile testing & provides Collaborative test design environment via Keyword driven testing.
Cucumber is an open-source Behavior Driven Development (BDD) tool. Cucumber supports languages like Ruby, Java, Scala, Groovy, etc.
Drafting test scripts is a joint effort of testers, developer, and customers. Cucumber supports only the web environment. Test code is written in simple English called Gherkin. Cucumber code can be executed on different frameworks like Selenium, Ruby, etc
The focus of cucumber is the end-user experience.
19) WorkSoft Certify
WorkSoft Certify is an automation testing tool for SAP. It can test and automate SuccessFactors, Concur, Syclo, Ariba Network, SAP Fiori User Experience (UX)
WorkSoft Certify can run tests unattended and automate end to end business process. The tool can be deployed even if a SAP project is in implementation, upgrade or maintenance stage.
WorkSoft Certify maintains a central test object repository such the test script maintenance, and reuse becomes easy. It provides integrated test data management tool.
20) Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a open-source automation tool and supports the web and mobile environment.
It works on top on Selenium and Appium, thereby enhancing those frameworks with features like object spy, user-friendly IDE, object repository & browser plugin
The tool uses Groovy as the scripting language & support external Java library. Katalon allows you to re-use Selenium scripts written in Java and use directly in the tool. It works seamlessly with Continuous Integration systems like Jenkins, Bamboo, and TeamCity.
Testcomplete is a powerful and easy-to-use functional test automation tool from SmartBear. It can automate tests across desktop, mobile, and web applications.
With the tool’s record-and-replay feature and the robust object identification engine, you can also create complex automated test scripts without writing a single line of code.
Testim.io leverages artificial intelligence for the authoring, execution and maintenance of automated test cases.
Its proprietary technology learns and adapts automated tests to code changes, reducing 90% of maintenance time and 70% of authoring time.
Testim helps companies accelerate time-to-market and achieve unparalleled quality at a fraction of time of conventional solutions.
Still confused? Refer this guide on How to select an Automation Tool.