20 BEST Automation Testing Tools (July 2021 Update)
Success in any test automation depends on identifying the right tool for the project. With a plethora of open-source and commercial automation tools to choose from, automation Testing tool selection can become tricky. Here is a curated Automation Testing tools list with popular features and website links -
Kobiton makes Mobile and IoT Continuous Testing a reality, no matter how you prefer to automate. Easily automate Functional, Performance, Visual, and Compatibility tests with our AI-driven scriptless approach and/or with your favorite open-source and script-based tooling. With Kobiton, ensure comprehensive quality and release at the speed of DevOps.
- Scriptless capture and execute automation
- Scriptless generation of 100% open-standard Appium code
- AI-assisted remediation
- Automated crash detection
- Visual Validation & UX Testing
- Performance Testing
- Seamless CI/CD integrations
- In-depth session exploration and reporting
- Unlimited user policy with Access to Real devices in the cloud or via on premises set-ups
TestProject is the world's first free cloud-based, community-powered test automation platform that enables users to test Web, Android and iOS applications on all operating systems, effortlessly. Easily collaborate with your team using Selenium and Appium to ensure quality with speed. Use advanced built-in recording capabilities, create and use addons (automation actions shared by the entire community), or develop coded tests using TestProject's powerful SDK, all completely for FREE!
- No complex setups or configurations
- No coding skills required to get started
- Share and reuse addons with your team and the entire community
- Detailed report dashboards
- Seamless integrations with your CI/CD workflow
Over 14,000 users worldwide accelerate testing with Ranorex Studio, an all-in-one tool for test automation. Ranorex is easy for beginners with a codeless click-and-go interface, but powerful for automation experts with a full IDE for C# or VB.NET, and open APIs.
- Functional UI and end-to-end testing on desktop, web, and mobile
- Cross-browser testing
- SAP, ERP, Delphi and legacy applications.
- iOS and Android
- Run tests locally or remotely, in parallel or distribute on a Selenium Grid
- Robust reporting
- Integrates with leading solutions like Git, TFS, Jenkins, Bamboo, Bugzilla, SpecFlow, NeoLoad, TestRail and more for a complete testing toolchain
Eggplant (now part of Keysight Technologies) is an award-winning test automation solutions provider and has been named a leader by all the top analysts, including Gartner and Forrester. Don’t fight today’s testing war with yesterday’s technology.
- AI-powered automation that views technology from the users’ perspective
- Ensure responsive and scalable application experiences to increase user engagement
- Enable test maintenance at scale and accelerate your testing efforts.
- Leverage non-invasive automation to automate mission critical systems.
- Seamlessly integrate with tools your team is already using today
Subject7 is a cloud-based, no-code platform supporting end-to-end automation for web, mobile, desktop, database, web services, load, security, and accessibility testing. The interface enables non-coders to author robust test flows, with minimal training/support. Customers include major government agencies, and enterprises of all sizes.
- Scales to thousands of steps, supports collaboration, tracking, and project management.
- Integrates with JIRA, Jenkins, GitHub, and most DevOps pipeline tools.
- Flexible reporting of success/failure, persistent defects, with video.
- High-scale parallel execution in secure public cloud, private cloud, or hybrid.
- Simple, non-metered pricing, delivering scalability/predictability, both technically and financially
TestComplete is a GUI test automation tool that tests every desktop, web, and mobile application, and is used by both technical and non-technical users.
- Superior object recognition using ML and AI
- Support for testing enterprise applications such as SAP, Oracle EBS, and Salesforce
- Run functional UI tests in parallel in the cloud or on your local machine for continuous testing and continuous delivery
- Integrates tightly with the tools in your ecosystem, such as CI/CD, test management, issue tracking, and version control, giving you a complete testing lifecycle
LambdaTest is one of the most preferred tool to perform automated cross browser testing. They offer an ultra-fast, scalable and secure selenium grid, which users can utilize and run their tests on 2000+ browsers and OS. It supports all latest and legacy browsers.
- Built on latest tech stack, test execution is fast and seamless
- Parallel test execution to shorten test cycles
- Easy integration with various CI/CD execution, project management, team communication tools.
- Users can perform geo location testing and testing of their locally hosted website.
- Users can utilize various APIs to extract all data they need
- Support for all major languages and framework
TestArchitect is a codeless test automation tool that focuses on scaling up automation coverage & productivity by leveraging Keyword Driven Testing. A small number of more-technical testers can support a much larger group of less-technical testers to achieve 80% automation coverage and more with TestArchitect.
- Codeless automation that uses Action Based Testing, a modern form of Keyword Driven Testing for high reusability and less maintenance costs.
- Intuitive spreadsheet IDE just like Excel
- Supported platforms: desktop, cross-browser, mobile testing, API, computer vision testing, etc.
- Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, macOS, Androids & iOS
- Integration plugins with most of the leading CI/CD/DevOps tools such as Azure DevOps, TFS, Jenkins, etc.
Parasoft's suite of automated software testing tools integrates quality into the software delivery process for early prevention, detection, and remediation of defects. Parasoft continuous quality suite covers static code analysis, unit testing and code coverage, API testing and service virtualization, and UI testing, enabling delivery at speed and compliance with industry and security standards.
- AI-powered test creation and execution
- Low-code application testing
- Extensive dashboards for quality reporting and analysis
- Support for 120+ message formats and protocols
- Integration with CI/CD pipeline and Agile DevOps workflows
10) QA Wolf
- Fully hosted with no downloads or installs
- Tests run in 100% parallel for fast results
- Supports Chrome, WebKit, Firefox, and Chromium
- Integrations with Vercel and Netlify
- Run on premise
- Connect with OpenVPN
- Videos and logs of failures help you understand issues quickly
- Open source
11) Avo Assure
Avo Assure is an intelligent and no-code test automation solution that helps you achieve over 90% coverage. It is technology-agnostic and enables you to test end-to-end applications across platforms like web, windows, mobile, non-UI (web services, batch jobs), ERPs, Mainframe systems, and associated emulators.
- A 100% no-code test automation solution
- Offers accessibility testing. Supports WCAG standards, Section 508, and ARIA
- Certified for integration with SAP S4/HANA and SAP NetWeaver
- Mindmaps feature to help visualize the entire testing hierarchy
- Integration with Jira, ALM, TFS, Jenkins, Sauce Labs, and QTest
- Smart scheduling
- Intelligent reporting
- Integration with Process Discovery solution Avo Discover
ZeuZ Automation is an AI-assisted click-and-test automation framework that testers enjoy using! It's scriptless and simple for manual testers, but also robust, with all-in-one features desired by experts. Equipped with CI/CD integration, intelligent debugging, rich reporting, collaboration features, ZeuZ delivers on the promise of true end-to-end automation.
- Cross-platform: web, mobile, desktop, API, IoT, and cloud services
- No code, single UI covering all technologies in one test case, or thousands with build-in program logic
- All-in-one: manage and run manual + automated, functional, regression, UI, performance, data-driven tests
- Test script recording, AI-powered object identification, build-in waiting mechanisms
- Rich reports, notifications, collaboration tools & batch updates
- Flexible deployment: single machine or 100s of VMs, on-premises and in the cloud
- Advanced debugging (drill down, intelligent issue grouping, step testing)
- Jira, Jenkins plugin, 3rd party integrations
- API and extendible with custom actions and scripts (Selenium, Appium, etc.)
13) Cerberus Testing
Cerberus Testing is the only 100% open-source and low-code test automation platform supporting Web, Mobile, API (REST, Kafka, …), Desktop and Database testing. Available in the Cloud, the easy to use web interface does not require development skills - automated tests become available for the development, quality, and business teams.
- Low-code library for Web, Mobile, API, Desktop, Database testing
- Fast iterations between Test Repository, Execution and Reporting
- Parallel Execution on local and remote testing farms
- Continuous Testing with Scheduler, Campaign, CI/CD capabilities
- Support for Web Performance, Monitoring
- Built-in Test Dashboards and Analytics
Selenium is an open-source web automation tool, currently in demand, and widely used tool in the market. It is one of the best QA automation tools that can automate across multiple OS Like Windows, Mac, and Linux and browsers like Firefox, Chrome, IE, as well as Headless Browsers.
15) HP UFT (aka QTP)
HPE Unified Functional Test is leading cross-platform automation testing tool. It is one of the top testing automation tools which can automate Web, Desktop, SAP, Delphi, Net, ActiveX, Flex, Java, Oracle, Mobile, PeopleSoft, PowerBuilder, Siebel, Stingray, Visual Basic amongst other applications. The list is of development environment it can automate is huge!
UFT uses VBScript as the scripting language.
The tool is tightly integrated with HP ALM (Test Management Tool) and HP LoadRunner (Performance Testing Tool)
Some of the distinguishing features of UFT include Business Process Testing, keyword driven framework, XML support, robust checkpoints, test results.
Watir is an open source web automation testing too.It is pronounced as "water."
Watir is one of the best automation scripting tools which supports IE on Windows. Watir + WebDriver supports FireFox, Opera, and headless browser HTML Unit.
The scripting language is Ruby, but you can automate web apps developed in any language.
Using Ruby, Watir gives you features to connect with the database, read flat files, excel – important for data-driven testing. You can reusable test code that can be repeated across test scripts.
It is one of the best Quality Assurance automation tools that integrates with BDD tools like RSpec, Cucumber, etc.
17) IBM Rational Functional Tester
Rational Functional Tester is commercial automation testing tool from IBM. Its supports a wide range of development environments like Siebel, Net, SAP, Java, PowerBuilder, Flex, Dojo amongst others.
It supports 2 scripting language Java and VB.Net
Rational Functional Tester(RFT) integrates tightly with IBM Rational Quality Manager (test management tool).
The tool supports functional testing, regression testing & Data-driven testing.
Storyboard Testing is a unique feature to RFT where the test script is recorded as a series of a screenshot of the actions performed against the Application Under Test. The tester can make changes to the screenshots to enhance the script.
18) Telerik Test Studio
It supports 2 scripting language C# and VB.Net
Test Studio can connect with source control systems like Team Foundation Server and GIT and execute Continuous Testing.
Telerik allows you to schedule tests, execute testing in parallel and has robust test reporting features.
19) Silk Test
Silk Test is a functional and regression automation testing tool from MicroFocus.
Silk Test Provides 3 products Workbench, Silk4J, and Silk4NET. Workbench use VB.net scripting language, Silk4J & Silk4NET can use Java/VB.NET, C#, etc
SilkTest test automation software supports Cross-browser testing, Mobile testing & provides Collaborative test design environment via Keyword driven testing.
Cucumber is an open-source Behavior Driven Development (BDD) tool. Cucumber is one of the best open source automation tools for testing that supports languages like Ruby, Java, Scala, Groovy, etc.
Drafting test scripts is a joint effort of testers, developer, and customers. Cucumber supports only the web environment. Test code is written in simple English called Gherkin. Cucumber code can be executed on different frameworks like Selenium, Ruby, etc
The focus of cucumber is the end-user experience.
21) WorkSoft Certify
WorkSoft Certify is an automation testing tool for SAP. It is one of the best software automation tools which can test and automate SuccessFactors, Concur, Syclo, Ariba Network, SAP Fiori User Experience (UX)
WorkSoft Certify can run tests unattended and automate end to end business process. The tool can be deployed even if a SAP project is in implementation, upgrade or maintenance stage.
WorkSoft Certify maintains a central test object repository such the test script maintenance, and reuse becomes easy. This tool for automation testing provides integrated test data management tool.
22) Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a open-source automation tool and supports the web and mobile environment.
It is one of the best tools for automation testing which works on top on Selenium and Appium, thereby enhancing those frameworks with features like object spy, user-friendly IDE, object repository & browser plugin
The tool uses Groovy as the scripting language & support external Java library. Katalon allows you to re-use Selenium scripts written in Java and use directly in the tool. It works seamlessly with Continuous Integration systems like Jenkins, Bamboo, and TeamCity.
Still confused? Refer this guide on How to select an Automation Tool.
Best Automated Testing Software: Top Picks
|Kobiton||Windows, macOS, Linux||Learn More|
|TestProject||Windows, macOS, Linux||Learn More|
❓ What is Automation Testing?
Automation Testing or Test Automation is a software testing technique that is performed using special automated testing software tools to execute a test case suite. In Automation testing, test data is entered into the System Under Test to compare expected and actual results for generating detailed test reports. It demands considerable investments of money and resources.
⚡ What are Automation Testing Tools?
Automation Testing tools or Test Automation tools are software applications that help users to test various desktop, web, and mobile applications. These tools provide automation solutions in order to automate the testing process. Automated testing tools also offer multiple features for GUI testing, performance testing, load testing, and API testing.
❗ How to select the best Test Automation Tool?
Here, is a simple process to determine the best tool for your project needs
- Identify the tests that need to be automated
- Research and analyze the automation tools that meet your automation needs and budget
- Based on the requirements, shortlist two most suitable tools
- Do a pilot for two best tools and select the better one
- Discuss the chosen automation tools with other stakeholders, explain the choice, and get their approval
- Proceed to test automation
There is no best tool in the market. You need to find the best tool for your test automation project goals.
⚡ Why choosing the correct automation tool is important?
There are many Automation Testing Tools available. Some of them are free while some are expensive. Some of these automation tools were created long ago, while some have just made it into the market. Each tool is unique and possesses specific characteristics.
A broad range of test automation tools makes it difficult to select the best one for a project, and often tester's end up with tools that do not conform to project requirements. Hence, choosing the right tool for your project is very important.
💻 Which are the best Automation Testing Tools?
Below are some of the best Test Automation tools:
- HP UFT (QTP)
✅ Which factors should you consider while selecting a Test Automation Tool?
You should consider the following factors before selecting a tool
- Desired Platform Support: Web, Desktop, Citrix, SAP, etc
- License Cost if applicable
- In case of an outsourcing project, you need to factor customer/Client Preference of the automation tool
- The cost involved in training employees on tool
- Hardware/Software requirements of the automation tool
- Support and Update policy of the automation tool vendor.