Success in any test automation depends on identifying the right tool for the project. With a plethora of open-source and commercial automation tools to choose from, automation Testing tool selection can become tricky. Here is a curated list of top automated tools -
ACCELQ is the only cloud-based codeless test automation platform that seamlessly Automates API and web testing, achieving continuous testing for Enterprises. Here are key highlights:
- AI based test automation for rapid development and robust to changes
- 3x Faster Test Development and 70% lower maintenance for Test automation assets
- Power and Flexibility to handle most complex automation with absolutely NO coding
- Continuous Test Automation platform enabling CI/CD with integration to Jira, AzureDevOps, Jenkins etc.
- Salesforce Test Automation and seamless support of Salesforce lightning and custom objects
- Enterprise technology test automation support for web, api, microservices, database, mainframe, pdf and so on.
TestProject is the world's first free cloud-based, a community-powered test automation platform that enables users to test Web, Android and iOS applications on all operating systems, effortlessly. Easily collaborate with your team using Selenium and Appium to ensure quality with speed. Use advanced built-in recording capabilities, create and use addons (automation actions shared by the entire community), or develop coded tests using TestProject's powerful SDK, all completely for FREE!
- No complex setups or configurations
- No coding skills required to get started
- Share and reuse addons with your team and the entire community
- Detailed report dashboards
- Seamless integrations with your CI/CD workflow
Over 14,000 users worldwide accelerate testing with Ranorex Studio, an all-in-one tool for test automation. Ranorex is easy for beginners with a codeless click-and-go interface, but powerful for automation experts with a full IDE for C# or VB.NET, and open APIs.
- Functional UI and end-to-end testing on desktop, web, and mobile
- Cross-browser testing
- SAP, ERP, Delphi and legacy applications.
- iOS and Android
- Run tests locally or remotely, in parallel or distribute on a Selenium Grid
- Robust reporting
Ranorex integrates with leading solutions like Git, TFS, Jenkins, Bamboo, Bugzilla, SpecFlow, NeoLoad, TestRail and more for a complete testing toolchain.
TestCraft is a codeless Selenium test automation platform. The revolutionary AI technology and unique visual modeling allows for faster test creation and execution while eliminating test maintenance overhead. Testers create fully automated test scenarios without coding. Customers find bugs faster, release more frequently, integrate with CI/CD and improve overall quality of their digital products.
- No programming skills required. Leverage manual testers’ business knowledge and allow them to create automated test scenarios
- Substantially reduce maintenance costs. Scripts are automatically adjusted to change due to our AI mechanism. Major changes are adapted with a few clicks
- Selenium based. Quickly integrate and leverage modules developed by the community
- Provides immediate time to value. Nothing to install (SaaS). Easy to master
HeadSpin is the world's first Connected Intelligence PlatformTM that provides Web, Mobile, IoT, and 5G solutions to unify testing, monitoring, and analytics across applications, devices, and networks. HeadSpin empowers development, QA, operations, and product teams to optimize connected experiences and ensure digital business success.
- Access to 300+ devices over 30+ countries on shared device cloud:
- Remote Debugging
- Real SIM-enabled Android and iOS devices
- 500+ parallel tests
- Regression Testing
- Localization Testing
- Locally debugging and code profiling
Subject7 is an automation platform providing end-to-end test automation capabilities through a series of commands. These commands are available via an easy-to-use web interface. Mimicking user actions, each command hides the complexities of industry-standard packages such as Selenium, Appium, SikuliX, JMeter, ZAP, and others.
- Easy to use web interface for non-coders
- Integrates with JIRA, Jenkins, and REST capable DevOps pipeline
- Zero setup and scales executions leveraging AWS, Azure, and Google clouds
- Email notifications, video recordings, team collaboration, and more
- Using open source standards such as Selenium and Appium to drive web and mobile
ZeuZ Automation is an AI-assisted click-and-test automation framework that testers enjoy using! It's scriptless and simple for manual testers, but also robust, with all-in-one features desired by experts. Equipped with CI/CD integration, intelligent debugging, rich reporting, collaboration features, ZeuZ delivers on the promise of true end-to-end automation.
- Cross-platform: web, mobile, desktop, API, IoT, and cloud services
- No code, single UI covering all technologies in one test case, or thousands with build-in program logic
- All-in-one: manage and run manual + automated, functional, regression, UI, performance, data-driven tests
- Test script recording, AI-powered object identification, build-in waiting mechanisms
- Rich reports, notifications, collaboration tools & batch updates
- Flexible deployment: single machine or 100s of VMs, on-premises and in the cloud
- Advanced debugging (drill down, intelligent issue grouping, step testing)
- Jira, Jenkins plugin, 3rd party integrations
- API and extendible with custom actions and scripts (Selenium, Appium, etc.)
LambdaTest is one of the leading cloud based cross browser testing platform which empowers users to perform automated compatibility testing of their website or web applications on a combination of 2000+ real browsers & OS.
- Automated Cross Browser Testing on 2000+ real Browsers & OS
- One click bug logging with tools like JIRA, Asana, Github, Slack, Monday.com etc.
- Integration with various CI/CD tools like Circle CI, Jenkins, Travis CI etc.
- Live interactive testing through VM hosted on LambdaTest cloud.
- Automated screenshot testing on 25 combinations at a time
TestArchitect is a codeless test automation tool that focuses on scaling up automation coverage & productivity by leveraging Keyword Driven Testing. A small number of more-technical testers can support a much larger group of less-technical testers to achieve 80% automation coverage and more with TestArchitect.
- Codeless automation that uses Action Based Testing, a modern form of Keyword Driven Testing for high reusability and less maintenance costs.
- Intuitive spreadsheet IDE just like Excel
- Supported platforms: desktop, cross-browser, mobile testing, API, computer vision testing, etc.
- Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, macOS, Androids & iOS
- Integration plugins with most of the leading CI/CD/DevOps tools such as Azure DevOps, TFS, Jenkins, etc.
10) Parasoft Selenic
Parasoft Selenic leverages AI to address your problems with Selenium so you don’t have to get rid of Selenium. It works directly with your existing Selenium tests, so you’re not locked into a proprietary platform.
- Self-healing at runtime and AI-driven recommendations post-execution. You can efficiently maintain existing Selenium scripts, reducing the time spent maintaining, repairing, and fixing broken tests.
- Create Selenium test suites with the Page Object Model. Teams can rapidly build a maintainable testing practice from the start.
- Optimize test execution with Test Impact Analysis. Cross-correlating test execution with underlying code changes gives you quicker feedback from your CI/CD pipeline.
Squish is the new GUI Test Automation tool of choice for more than 3000 companies worldwide to automate the functional regression tests and system tests of their graphical user interface (GUIs) and Human Machine Interfaces (HMIs). The Squish GUI testing tool, a 100% cross-platform tool, features
- In-depth support for all major GUI technologies
- Full support for all desktop, mobile, web and embedded platforms
- Test script recording
- Powerful and reliable object identification and verifications (object-based and image based)
- No dependency on screenshots or visual appearance
- Powerful integrated development environment (IDE)
- A wide range of popular script languages for test scripting
- Full support for Behavior Driven Development (BDD)
- Full control via command line tools
- Integrations with Test Management and CI-Systems
Zephyr is the #1 selling test management tool, providing end-to-end solutions for agile teams of all sizes. Get the flexibility, visibility, and insights you need to release better software FASTER
- 1-click Integration with JIRA, Confluence, Jenkins, Bamboo, and more
- Cloud, Server, and Data Center Deployment Options
- Advanced Analytics and DevOps Dashboards
- No Annual Commitment Required
- Get - More Information
Selenium is an open-source web automation tool, currently in demand, and widely used tool in the market. It can automate across multiple OS Like Windows, Mac, and Linux and browsers like Firefox, Chrome, IE, as well as Headless Browsers.
14) HP UFT (aka QTP)
HPE Unified Functional Test is leading cross-platform automation testing tool. It can automate Web, Desktop, SAP, Delphi, Net, ActiveX, Flex, Java, Oracle, Mobile, PeopleSoft, PowerBuilder, Siebel, Stingray, Visual Basic amongst other applications. The list is of development environment it can automate is huge!
UFT uses VBScript as the scripting language.
The tool is tightly integrated with HP ALM (Test Management Tool) and HP LoadRunner (Performance Testing Tool)
Some of the distinguishing features of UFT include Business Process Testing, keyword driven framework, XML support, robust checkpoints, test results.
Watir is an open source web automation testing too.It is pronounced as "water."
Watir supports IE on windows. Watir + WebDriver supports FireFox, Opera, and headless browser HTML Unit.
The scripting language is Ruby, but you can automate web apps developed in any language.
Using Ruby, Watir gives you features to connect with the database, read flat files, excel – important for data-driven testing. You can reusable test code that can be repeated across test scripts.
Integrates with BDD tools like RSpec, Cucumber, etc.
16) IBM Rational Functional Tester
Rational Functional Tester is commercial automation testing tool from IBM. Its supports a wide range of development environments like Siebel, Net, SAP, Java, PowerBuilder, Flex, Dojo amongst others.
It supports 2 scripting language Java and VB.Net
Rational Functional Tester(RFT) integrates tightly with IBM Rational Quality Manager (test management tool).
The tool supports functional testing, regression testing & Data-driven testing.
Storyboard Testing is a unique feature to RFT where the test script is recorded as a series of a screenshot of the actions performed against the Application Under Test. The tester can make changes to the screenshots to enhance the script.
17) Telerik Test Studio
It supports 2 scripting language C# and VB.Net
Test Studio can connect with source control systems like Team Foundation Server and GIT and execute Continuous Testing.
Telerik allows you to schedule tests, execute testing in parallel and has robust test reporting features.
18) Silk Test
Silk Test is a functional and regression automation testing tool from MicroFocus.
Silk Test Provides 3 products Workbench, Silk4J, and Silk4NET. Workbench use VB.net scripting language, Silk4J & Silk4NET can use Java/VB.NET, C#, etc
SilkTest supports Cross-browser testing, Mobile testing & provides Collaborative test design environment via Keyword driven testing.
Cucumber is an open-source Behavior Driven Development (BDD) tool. Cucumber supports languages like Ruby, Java, Scala, Groovy, etc.
Drafting test scripts is a joint effort of testers, developer, and customers. Cucumber supports only the web environment. Test code is written in simple English called Gherkin. Cucumber code can be executed on different frameworks like Selenium, Ruby, etc
The focus of cucumber is the end-user experience.
20) WorkSoft Certify
WorkSoft Certify is an automation testing tool for SAP. It can test and automate SuccessFactors, Concur, Syclo, Ariba Network, SAP Fiori User Experience (UX)
WorkSoft Certify can run tests unattended and automate end to end business process. The tool can be deployed even if a SAP project is in implementation, upgrade or maintenance stage.
WorkSoft Certify maintains a central test object repository such the test script maintenance, and reuse becomes easy. It provides integrated test data management tool.
21) Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a open-source automation tool and supports the web and mobile environment.
It works on top on Selenium and Appium, thereby enhancing those frameworks with features like object spy, user-friendly IDE, object repository & browser plugin
The tool uses Groovy as the scripting language & support external Java library. Katalon allows you to re-use Selenium scripts written in Java and use directly in the tool. It works seamlessly with Continuous Integration systems like Jenkins, Bamboo, and TeamCity.
Testcomplete is a powerful and easy-to-use functional test automation tool from SmartBear. It can automate tests across desktop, mobile, and web applications.
With the tool’s record-and-replay feature and the robust object identification engine, you can also create complex automated test scripts without writing a single line of code.
Still confused? Refer this guide on How to select an Automation Tool.
⚡ Which factors should you consider while selecting a Test Automation Tool?
You should consider the following factors before selecting a tool
- Desired Platform Support: Web, Desktop, Citrix, SAP, etc
- License Cost if applicable
- In case of an outsourcing project, you need to factor customer/Client Preference of the automation tool
- The cost involved in training employees on tool
- Hardware/Software requirements of the automation tool
- Support and Update policy of the automation tool vendor.
💻 How to select the best Test Automation Tool?
Here, is a simple process to determine the best tool for your project needs
- Identify the tests that need to be automated
- Research and analyze the automation tools that meet your automation needs and budget
- Based on the requirements, shortlist two most suitable tools
- Do a pilot for two best tools and select the better one
- Discuss the chosen automation tools with other stakeholders, explain the choice, and get their approval
- Proceed to test automation
There is no best tool in the market. You need to find the best tool for your test automation project goals.
❓ Why choosing the correct automation tool is important?
There are many Automation Testing Tools available. Some of them are free while some are expensive. Some of these automation tools were created long ago, while some have just made it into the market. Each tool is unique and possesses specific characteristics.
A broad range of test automation tools makes it difficult to select the best one for a project, and often tester's end up with tools that do not conform to project requirements. Hence, choosing the right tool for your project is very important.