Web Application Testing Tools improve reliability, reduce turnaround time and increase ROI.
They are various types of tools that assist in diverse web testing activities ranging from requirements capturing to test management. Following is a curated list of the top Web Testing tools with Key Features and download links.
Following category of tools are covered that help in Web Testing
- Test Management Tools
- Web Testing Automation Tools
- Web API Testing Tools
- Defect Tracking Tools
- Browser Compatibility Tools
- Performance Testing Tools
- Test Data Preparation Tools
- Requirements Management Tools
- Static Analysis Tool
Zephyr is the #1 selling web testing tool, providing end-to-end solutions for agile teams of all sizes. Get the flexibility, visibility, and insights you need to release better software FASTER
Key features of Zephyr
- 1-click Integration with JIRA, Confluence, Jenkins, Bamboo, and more
- Cloud, Server, and Data Center Deployment Options
- Advanced Analytics and DevOps Dashboards
- No Annual Commitment Required
TestRail provides comprehensive test case management to help you organize testing efforts and get real-time insights into testing activity. Powerful reports and metrics enable QA teams to increase productivity and deliver fast feedback.
- Easily track the status of individual tests.
- Measure progress with informative dashboards and activity reports
- Compare results across multiple test runs, configurations, and milestones
- Track team workload to adjust assignments and resources
- Highly customizable, with cloud-based or on-premise installation options
- Integrate with defect tracking and collaboration solutions such as Atlassian Jira, FogBugz, Bugzilla, Axosoft, GitHub, and TFS; and with leading test automation tools including Ranorex Studio.
Testpad is a simpler and more accessible kind of manual test tool that’s ideal for testing web apps. Prioritising pragmatism over process, it uses checklist-inspired test plans that can be adapted to a wide range of styles including Exploratory testing, the manual side of Agile, syntax highlighted BDD, and even traditional test case management.
- Guest testers, invited by email, who don’t need accounts
- Simple enough to use by non-testers; get everyone to help at release time
- Drag'n'drop organisation of test plans
- Add new tests during testing, as you think of new ideas
- Lightweight integration with issue trackers, including JIRA
It is an open source and web-based test management tool. The tool includes planning, reporting, test specification, planning, reporting and requirement tracking. To track the progress of the project, reports and charts are available while additional features include assigning keywords, specifying requirements and events log.
Notable features of TestLink includes
- Charts Support
- Metrics Support
- Test creation and execution
- User-friendly UI
- Defect Recording
PractiTest professional QA and test management solutions help users to manage their development and testing process, with an end-to-end approach, with great JIRA and many other integrations. Starting from requirements, creating and running tests, tracking bugs and reporting them to all relevant stakeholder. You can even embed an external dashboard. Other integration includes (but not limited to): JIRA, Pivotal Tracker, YouTrack, FogBugz, Bugzilla, Redmine, GitHub, Selenium, JUnit, SoapUI, QTP, Jenkins, Circle CI, and Slack.
Testcomplete is a powerful and easy-to-use functional test automation tool from SmartBear. It can automate tests across desktop, mobile, and web applications.
With the tool's record-and-replay feature and the robust object identification engine, you can also create complex automated test scripts without writing a single line of code.
Selenium is an open-source web automation tool and currently the most popular and widely used tool in the market. It can automate across multiple OS Like Windows, Mac, and Linux and browsers like Firefox, Chrome, IE, as well as Headless Browsers.
8) HP UFT (aka QTP)
HPE Unified Functional Test is leading cross-platform automation testing tool. It can automate Web, Desktop, SAP, Delphi, Net, ActiveX, Flex, Java, Oracle, Mobile, PeopleSoft, PowerBuilder, Siebel, Stingray, Visual Basic amongst other applications. The list is of development environment it can automate is huge!
UFT uses VBScript as the scripting language.
The tool is tightly integrated with HP ALM (Test Management Tool) and HP LoadRunner (Performance Testing Tool)
Some of the distinguishing features of UFT include Business Process Testing, keyword driven framework, XML support, robust checkpoints, test results.
Features & Functionalities:
- Storing an expected result in the form of a screen or GUI object and comparing it with run-time screen or object
- Executing tests from a stored scripts
- Logging test results
- Sending test summary to test management tools
- Access of data files for use as test data
Tricentis provides a Continuous Testing platform that accelerates testing to keep pace with Agile and DevOps. Prominent API Testing features of Tricentis Tosca are -
- It supports a wide array of protocols including HTTP(s) JMS, AMQP, Rabbit MQ, TIBCO EMS, SOAP, REST, IBM MQ, NET TCP
- It integrates into the Agile and DevOps Cycle
- It uses model-based test automation that makes script maintenance easy.
- Enables end-to-end testing as API tests can be used across mobile, cross-browser, packaged apps, etc.
Tricentis' 400+ customers include global names from the Top 500 brands such as ExxonMobil, HBO, Whole Foods, Toyota, Allianz, BMW, Starbucks, Deutsche Bank, Lexmark, Orange, A&E, Vantiv, Vodafone, Telstra, and UBS.
10) SOAP UI
The most widely popular tool for API testing in the world, SoapUI allows you to test REST and SOAP APIs with ease – as it has been built specifically for API testing.
- Quick and Easy Test Creation: Point-and-click, drag-and-drop, functionality makes complicated tasks (like working with JSON and XML) simple
- Powerful data-driven testing: Load data from Excel, files, and databases to simulate the way consumers interact with your APIs
- Reusability of Scripts: Reuse your functional test cases as load tests and security scans in just a few clicks
- Seamless Integrations: Integrates with 13 API management platforms, supports REST, SOAP, JMS, and IoT
SoapUI NG Pro is used by thousands of leading companies around the world, including Apple, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, HP, NASA, eBay, MasterCard, Intel, FedEx, and Pfizer
BugZilla is a popular bug tracking tool. This tool is an open source software and provides some great features like
- E-mail notification for change in code
- Reports and Charts
- Patch Viewers
- List of bugs can be generated in different formats
- Schedule daily, monthly and weekly reports
- Detect duplicate bug automatically
- Setting bug priorities by involving customers
- Predict the time a bug may get fixed
Thousands of software professionals use JIRA as a bug-tracking tool because of it's easy to use the framework. JIRA is a commercial product and helps to capture and organize the team issues, prioritizing the issue and updating them with the project. It is a tool that directly integrates with the code development environments making it a perfect fit for developers as well. Due to its capability to track any kind of issues, it is not just restricted to the software industry. It supports agile projects. It comes with many add-ons that make this tool more powerful than other tools
14) Sauce Labs
It is the leading cloud based web and mobile app testing platform. It allows you to run tests in the cloud on more than 260 different browser platform and devices. There is no VM set up, or maintenance required. With access to live breakpoints, you can easily take control of the system to investigate a problem manually. With Sauce Lab, you can list the recently run tests in chronological order, with information about the runtime, testing platform, build and whether they passed or failed.
With browser stack, it is possible to do web based browser testing on desktop and mobile browser. It is cloud based, and so it does not require any installation, and the pre-installed developer tools are useful for quick cross-browser testing and debugging. With browser-stack, you can set up a comprehensive testing environment with support for proxies, firewalls and Active Directory. It supports opera mobile, Android, Windows (XP, 7 and 8), iOS, OSX snow leopard, lion and mountain lion and so on. Browser stack allows you to test your pages remotely.
16) LoadUI Pro
LoadUI Pro by Smartbear allows you to quickly create scriptless sophisticated load tests, distribute them on the cloud using load agents and monitor performance of your servers as you increase the load on them. You can access detailed reports and quickly automate your load tests on Jenkins, Bamboo, TFS and other automation frameworks – If you are using SoapUI already, you can convert the test cases into load tests with just 3 clicks– all without writing a single line of script.
- Scriptless Load test creation
- Preconfigured load test templates like spike, baseline, stress, smoke
- Drag and drop load tests on distribution agents on cloud
- Sophisticated analytics and statists features for reporting
- Quick conversion of functional tests from SoapUI as load tests
- HTTP, REST, SOAP, JSON, JMS, Swagger, RAML, IODocs,
- API Blueprint, JSON Schema, XML Schema, MQTT, CoAP, WSDL, WADL
17) Apache Jmeter
JMeter is an open source tool that can be used for performance and load testing for analyzing and measuring the performance of a variety of services. This tools mainly used for web and web service applications.
This tool does not demand state of the art infrastructure for load testing and supports multiple load injectors managed by a single controller
- Web: HTTP, HTTPS
- WebServices: XML, SOAP, etc.
- Java based protocols
| || |
18) Case Complete
Case Complete is an agile requirements management tool. You can capture requirements and cases for your web testing project with less effort.
Key Features & Functionalities:
- Storing Requirements
- Identifying undefined, missing or to be defined requirements
- Traceability of Requirements
- Interfacing with Test Management Tools
- Requirements Coverage
Test Data Anonymization is critical when testing websites with sensitive data, for example, banking. ARX is a robust Anonymization tool.
Key Features & Functionalities:
- Extract Selected data records from files or databases
- Data Anonymization
- Create new records populates with random data
- Create large number of similar records from a template
- It's Open Source
PMD is a cross-language static code analyzer. The tool will be useful in finding unused variables, empty catch blocks, the redundant object in your web code.
Key Features & Functionalities:
- Calculate Cyclomatic Complexity
- Enforce Coding Standards
- Analyse Structure and Dependencies
- Help in understanding Code
- Identify defects in code