Test Plan vs Test Strategy – Difference Between Them
Key Difference Between Test Plan and Test Strategy
- Test Plan is a document that describes the scope, objective and weight on software testing task whereas Test Strategy describes how testing needs to be done.
- Test Plan is used at the project level whereas Test Strategy is used at the organization level.
- Test Plan has the primary goal of how to test, when to test and who will verify whereas Test Strategy has the primary goal of what technique to follow and which module to check.
- Test Plan can be changed whereas Test Strategy can’t change.
- Test Plan is carried out by the test manager whereas the Test Strategy is carried out by the project manager.
What is Test Plan?
A Test Plan is defined as a document which outlines the scope, objective, method and weight on a software testing task
Test Strategy in software testing is defined as a set of guiding principles that determines the test design & regulates how the software testing process will be done. The objective of the Test Strategy is to provide a systematic approach to the software testing process in order to ensure the quality, traceability, reliability and better planning.
Test Plan V/s Test Strategy is a prominent confusion among multiple levels of QA Aspirants
Below is the detailed guide to it
Difference Between Test Strategy and Test Plan
|Test Plan||Test Strategy|
|A test plan for software project can be defined as a document that defines the scope, objective, approach and emphasis on a software testing effort||Test strategy is a set of guidelines that explains test design and determines how testing needs to be done|
|Components of Test plan include- Test plan id, features to be tested, test techniques, testing tasks, features pass or fail criteria, test deliverables, responsibilities, and schedule, etc.||Components of Test strategy includes- objectives and scope, documentation formats, test processes, team reporting structure, client communication strategy, etc.|
|Test plan is carried out by a testing manager or lead that describes how to test, when to test, who will test and what to test||A test strategy is carried out by the project manager. It says what type of technique to follow and which module to test|
|Test plan narrates about the specification||Test strategy narrates about the general approaches|
|Test plan can change||Test strategy cannot be changed|
|Test planning is done to determine possible issues and dependencies in order to identify the risks.||It is a long-term plan of action. You can abstract information that is not project specific and put it into test approach|
|A test plan exists individually||In smaller project, test strategy is often found as a section of a test plan|
|It is defined at project level||It is set at organization level and can be used by multiple projects|