What is Laravel?
Laravel is an open-source widely used PHP framework. The platform was intended for the development of web application by using MVC architectural pattern. Laravel is released under the MIT license. Therefore its source code is hosted on GitHub. It is a reliable PHP framework as it follows expressive and accurate language rules.
What is CodeIgniter?
CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework. It is built for developers who like a simple and elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications. CodeIgniter is one of the best options for creating dynamic websites using PHP.
It provides complete freedom for the users as they don't need to depend on the MVC development pattern. Moreover, it allows third-party plugins which can be useful to implement complicated functionalities. It also offers awesome security and encryption procedures.
Why use Laravel?
- Laravel offers version control system that helps with simplified management of migrations
- Modular packaging with composer based dependency manager
- Support for Eloquent ORM, the advanced ActiveRecord implementation for working on DB
- Support DBMS platforms like MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQLServer
- Offers features like blade templating engine
- Support for artisan command along with sample codes line interface
- Has great documentation
- Laravel allows you to enforce constraints between multiple DBM objects by using an advanced query builder mechanism
- The framework has an auto-loading feature, so you don't do manual maintenance and inclusion paths
- The framework helps you to generate new tools with the help of a LOC container
Why use CodeIgniter?
- Great support and immediate answers provided by a very active CodeIgniter community support
- Clear and structured documentation
- Offers enhanced stability & supports
- It offers a simple routing method
- It allows you to cached website for improved performance and loading times
Larvel Vs Codeignitor Google Trends
Features of Laravel
- Easy Integration with third-party libraries
- Modular packaging
- Dependency manager fully composer-based
- Query builder as potential ORM alternative
- Easy to use the blade-templating engine
- Built-in authentication mechanisms and caching mechanism
- Unmatched quality session control
- Offer better IO capabilities
Features of CodeIgniter
Larvel Vs. Codeignitor StackOverflow Questions
- Simple and easy to use MVC framework
- Extremely Light Weight framework
- Form and Data Validation
- Security and XSS Filtering
- Offers session management
- Image Manipulation Library
- Support for paging and Data Encryption
- File Uploading Class
- Offers Data Encryption
- Error Logging
- Offers calendar Class, template Engine Class and Unit Testing Class
- Search-engine Friendly URLs
- Support for Hooks and Class Extensions
- Offers form and data validation
- inbuilt class support for sending a mail
Laravel vs. CodeIgniter: Know the Difference
|Support of other DBMS||ORACLE, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2, MYSQL, PostgreSQL orientdb, and JDBC compatible.||MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft BI, and MongoDB. But CodeIgniter additionally supports other popular databases like Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, and others.|
|Popularity & current trends||Laravel is at its peak popularity right now. With its expressive coding style favored by the seasoned developers.||It offers ease of use in 2.x, and therefore most web developers prefer CodeIgniter.|
|Structure and Updates||Laravel follows the MVC structure of filing. It comes with a command line tool called the Artisan.||The structure is MVC (model-view- Controller) and provides easy on- Boarding. The structure was loosely based on Object-oriented Programming. However, many developers used it according to their needs.|
|Built-in Modules||This framework is designed with built-in modularity features. It allows developers to divide a project into small modules through the bundle.||CodeIgniter does not offer any built-in modularity features. So, developers need to create and maintain modules by using Modular Extension.|
|Support for RESTful API||The RESTful Controllers empowers developers to manufacture an assortment of REST APIs without spending extra time.||CodeIgniter does not facilitate streamlined development of REST APIs.|
|Template Engine and API Building||It comes with a simple but robust template engine like Blade. Blade template engine allows PHP programmers to optimize the performance of the web application by enhancing and manipulating views.||CodeIgniter does not offer any built-in template engine. The developers are required to integrate it with a template engine tool like smarty. This helps them to conduct common tasks and improve the performance of the website.|
|Online help and Libraries||Laravel's offer its official documentation which is very elaborate and helpful. However, you can get additional help from Laracast.com.||The CodeIgniter offer plenty of built-in functionality, and their website has a useful guide for which you can use without any prior knowledge.|
|Data Base Model||Relational Object-Oriented||Object Oriented|
|Template Language||Blade Template Engine||PHP proprietary|
|Programming Paradigm||Component Oriented||Object-Oriented Event Driven Functional|
|HTTP Support||Laravel allows programmers to define custom HTTPs routes. The developers can also create a specific URL for each HTTPS route.||CodeIgniter does not support HTTPS fully. Therefore, developers can use URL to keep the data transmission secure by creating pats.|
|Authentication||The Authentication Class feature provided by Laravel makes it easier for developers to implement authentication and authorization rules.||CodeIgniter doesn't come with built-in authentication features. So, developers need to authenticate and authorize users by writing custom CodeIgniter extensions.|
|Unit Testing||It allows developers to check the application code thoroughly and continuously with the help of PHPUnit.||CodeIgniter doesn't have any inbuilt unit testing tools. Therefore, developers need to use additional unit testing tools to assess the quality of the application and code.|
|Learning Curve||Laravel offers many additional features which are difficult to learn for beginners.||The beginners find it easier to learn and use CodeIgniter.|
|Stack Overflow questions||96.7 k||606. k|
|GitHub Stars||45.5 K||16.5 K|
|Prominent Companies using the product||9GAG, Union, Geocodio||Buffer, Machester.com, Webedia|
|Average Salary||The average salary for "Laravel developer" ranges from approximately $71,459 per year||The average salary for "CodeIgniter developer" ranges from approximately $47,753 per year|
Laravel vs. CodeIgniter which is better?
To conclude this, we can say both of these PHP frameworks have its relevance and benefits. However, It entirely depends on your project that which one you should prefer. Despite that, we can say that Laravel has a little edge compared to CodeIgniter because of its elegant and advanced features.
- Codeigniter is Object-oriented whereas Laravel is relational Object-Oriented.
- Codeigniter doesn’t come with built-in authentication features whereas Laravel comes with authentication class features.
- Codeigniter doesn’t have an inbuilt Unit testing tool while Laravel has an inbuilt Unit testing tool.
- Codeigniter is Object-oriented Event-driven functional while Laravel is component-oriented.
- Codeigniter is easy to learn for beginners whereas Laravel offers many additional features that are difficult to learn for beginners.