20 Best Java Tools for Developers in 2021
There are many tools available for Java management. These software ease the entire process of developing, testing and deployment in Java. Here is the list of Top tools with their features and download links.
Java Development Tools
Monitor the performance of your Java applications with Site24x7 APM Insight. Site24x7 is a SaaS-based all-in-one monitoring solution for DevOps and IT. With Site24x7 APM, you can get a holistic view of your application performance in real-time and debug errors with ease.
- Get a bird's eye view of Java app performance with application dependency maps
- Support for monitoring individual methods or functions in code using custom instrumentation
- Support for distributed tracing - identify errors across microservices and distributed architecture
- Real-time reports on JVM performance including key metrics like JVM CPU usage,garbage collection, run-time memory, heap memory, with alerting.
ManageEngine Applications Manager helps proactively monitor Java applications and the infrastructure performance.
- Monitor, optimize and troubleshoot Java application performance with the help of code-level insights, distributed traces, and more.
- Supports monitoring of Java Virtual Machine (JVM), Java Runtime Environment (JRE), Java application server, JDBC, JMX and Java thread dumps.
- prevent fault occurrence and unnecessary oversight.
- Automatic corrective actions using web hooks to start external actions.
- Machine learning enabled analytics which helps anticipate future resource utilization and growth.
Java Performance Monitoring is a tool that enables you to improve the performance of your application. This software helps you to check database, memory, and concurrency with no hassle. It allows you to find the issues related to runtime and compiler time Java programs.
- This tool can find web service APIs affecting applications made in Java.
- It uses SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) to monitor servers, JBoss, Oracle, and WebSphere.
- You can check the health of JSON services using HTTP or HTTPS.
- It can analyze the physical, virtual Java server metrics like fan speed, power supply, and temperature.
Kite is IDE for Java that automatically completes multiple line codes. This editor supports more than 16 languages. It helps you to code faster with no hassle.
- It offers Java documentation.
- This editor provides a function signature as you type.
- You will get a tooltip on mouse hover.
- Provides support in email.
- Uses machine learning models for Java language.
SolarWinds Patch Manager is a DevOps tool that is designed to address the vulnerabilities of software. This application provides patch compliance easy to analyze reports. It helps you to extend your SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager and Systems).
- It offers a user-friendly dashboard to manage patch.
- The application helps you deploy security patches with no hassle.
- It can automate your patching process.
- SolarWinds Patch Manager can quickly determine devices that need patching.
- Preparation of input data and setup/creation of fake objects
- Loading databases with a specific known set of data
- It provides annotations so that test classes can have fixture run before or after every test
- JUnit provides support for writing and running tests
- It provides annotations to identify test methods
- Provides assertions for testing expected results
- JUnit tests allow writing codes faster, which increases quality
Download link: http://junit.org/junit4/
NetBeans is FREE, open-source IDE. It is one of the best Java developer tools which allows developing desktop, mobile and web applications.
- It offers complete support for Latest Java Technologies
- Support for fast & smart code editing
- Easy & Efficient Project Management process
- Rapid User Interface Development
- Helps to write bug-free code
- NetBeans IDE offers superior support for C/C++ and PHP developers
- NetBeans IDE can be installed in any OS which supports Java, from Windows to Linux to Mac OS X systems
Download link: https://netbeans.org/downloads/index.html
8) Apache Maven:
Apache Maven is a software Project Management Tool. It is based on the Project Object Model (POM) concept.
- Simple project setup that follows best practices to get a new project or module started in seconds
- This Java programmer software allows easy writing of plugins using Java
- Instant access to new features with very few extra configuration
- Ant tasks for dependency management and deployment outside of Maven
- Release management and distribution publication
- It encourages the use of a central repository of JARs and other dependencies
Download link: http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi
JRat is a Java Runtime Analysis Toolkit. It is easy to use, open source performance profiler for the Java platform. It can monitor application's execution and performance measurements.
- Easy file transfers to any location on any computer
- Allows remote view on jRAT
- Provide support for website Redirection
- JRat allows modifying system files
- Helps users to process on their systems
- Taking screenshots allows administrator to keep a record of issues on the client's computer
Download link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/jrat/files/JRat/
Mockito is an Open Source Java Mocking and Unit Testing Tool. Mockito is a popular open source Java mocking framework. It helps developers to write clean, well-designed and loosely-coupled code.
- It can be used to write Behaviour Driven Development style tests with syntactic sugar facilitates
- It offers nice, easily readable syntax. It also provides some annotations needed for reducing boilerplate code
- Mockito allows writing of relaxed tests
Download link: http://site.mockito.org/
- Open source and free to use tool for Java
- Very easy to use because of on-the-fly byte code
- Full coverage and metrics for latest test run
- Inline annotation helps to visually highlight statement-level coverage
- Test optimization feature makes it painless to run testsuite before every check-in
Download link: https://www.atlassian.com/software/clover/download
Ehcache is an open source, standards-based caching tool for Java language. It is robust, proven, full-featured tool which can be integrated with other popular libraries and frameworks.
- Ehcache strives to maintain a small footprint to keep apps as light as possible
- Revamped API that leverages Java generics and Cache interactions
- API is very simple and easy to use
- Scalable to hundreds of caches
- Allows box Spring Caching and Hibernate integration to with javax.cache support
Download links: http://www.ehcache.org/downloads/
VisualVM is a visual tool for integrating command-line JDK tools. It also offers lightweight profiling capabilities. It is designed for both development and production time use.
- It displays both local and remote Java Processes
- Monitor Process Performance and Memory
- Visualize Process Threads
- Profile Performance and Memory Usage
- Take and Display Thread Dumps
- It can read basic information about the crashed Java process
- Helps to analyze Core Dumps
Download link: https://visualvm.github.io/download.html
14) Oracle JDeveloper:
Oracle J Developer is a free Java development IDE. It is one of the best Java tools which allows developers to build reliable Service Oriented Architecture with Java. It supports the full development life cycle.
- Ability to generate servlets which operate as EJB clients
- It supports creating and editing Web Socket annotations of Java classes
- Allows to specify a configuration class to hold the Meta data
FindBugs is an open source Java project for static analysis. It scans Java bytecode to identify potential bugs. This tool provides early feedback about potential errors in the code. It helps the developer to access all type of bug early in the development phase.
- Can identify bug patterns with complete accuracy
- It provides support for the Guava library, recognizing many common misuse patterns.
- Support detection of problems identified by JSR-305 annotations
Download link: http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
16) Java Decompiler:
Java Decompiler is a freeware Java tool that reconstructs Java source code from CLASS files. It allows to decompile, Java applets, JAR and ZIP files for producing accurate Java source code.
- The tool supports Drag and Drop
- It displays color coded Source Code
- Works for almost all versions of Java
Download link: http://java-decompiler.github.io/
Gradle is a project automation Java tool. It builds on the features of Apache Ant and Apache Maven. It also serves as the default build tool for the Android platform.
- Better modeling of dependencies using the Java Library plugin reduces the size of the compile classpath
- It comes with a remote build cache with convenient management tools
- Gradle Wrapper allows to execute Gradle builds on machines where it is not installed
- It supports multi-project builds and also partial builds
- It can easily adapt to any structure
- Its smart classpath helps to avoid unnecessary compilation when the binary interface of a library not changed
Download link: https://gradle.org/
Cobertura is free Java tool that calculates the percentage of code accessed by tests. It can also be used to identify which parts of Java program are lacking test coverage.
- It allows line and branch coverage in a detailed tree view
- View source code and colored according to line coverage
- Launch Scala, Eclipse JUnit, and PDE in covered mode
- It filters out uninteresting classes and packages
- Instruments Java bytecode after finishing compiling
- Allows to generate reports in HTML or XML
- Display the percentage of lines, branches covered for each class, package, and the entire project
Download link: http://cobertura.github.io/cobertura/
Groovy is a powerful language with static-typing & compilation capabilities. It is aimed at improving developer's productivity.
- Concise, readable and expressive syntax
- It integrates easily with any Java program to deliver an effective application with powerful features
- Seamlessly integrates with Java and other third-party libraries
- Flexible & malleable syntax, advanced integration & customization
- Great for writing concise and maintainable tests
Download link: http://groovy-lang.org/download.html
YourKit is an innovative tool for profiling Java &.NET applications. It is the standard-setter in the evolution of profiling tools.
- Straightforward installation process
- Developer friendly environment
- Seamless integration with IDEs and application servers
- Powerful analysis capabilities
- Built-in SSH tunneling supports ease profiling in restricted network conditions
- Permissive license policy allows unlimited number of profiled applications
- It offers high-level monitoring web, database, I/O
- High-level profiling results to see the big picture and find out the exact issues
Download link: https://www.yourkit.com/java/profiler/download/
Eclipse is an open-source integrated development environment for Java. It is one of the best core Java tools that offers modern features, large numbers of modeling tools, java testing tools, and development frameworks.
- Model Driven Development
- Easy and seamless integration with JUnit
- Provide Complete Detailed reports
- It is also easy to customize. In conjunction with the Ctrlflow Automated Error Reporting Server
- Eclipse offers the best tooling for JEE projects
Download link: https://www.eclipse.org/
Spark is a robust Java based framework for developing web applications. It allows Java developers to create web applications without the need of writing boilerplate code.
- Ability to support multiple languages
- It comes with tools for interactive/declarative queries, streaming data, machine learning
- Spark code can be reused for batch-processing
- Spark streaming can handle real-time stream processing
- It has a provision for real-time stream processing
- Active, progressive and most expanding community
Download link: https://spark.apache.org/downloads.html
23) IntelliJ Idea:
IntelliJ IDEA is a multi-purpose IDE which focuses on Java development. It is one of the best Java programming tools that offers advanced support for the web, mobile, and hybrid application development.
- It analyses source code between all project files and languages
- It gives list of the most relevant symbols applicable in the current context
- It allows cross-language refactoring
- Finds duplicate code fragments on the fly
- Inspections and quick-fixes
- Editor-centric environment
- It allows user to use static methods or constants easily
Download link: https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/download-thanks.html
24) Apache JMeter:
JMeter is an open source load testing tool. It is designed to load functional test behavior and measure performance of websites.
- JMeter allows performing load and performance test for various server types
- This load testing tool store its test plans in XML format which allows users to generate the test plan using a text editor
- The tool can also use for automated and functional testing of the applications
- Data analysis and visualization plugins allow extensibility as well as personalization
- Functions should provide dynamic input to test data manipulation
Download link: http://jmeter.apache.org/download_jmeter.cgi
25) Java Development Kit:
Java Development Kit (JDK) is a tool for writing Java applets and applications. The JDK includes the Java Runtime Environment, the Java compiler, and the Java APIs.
- String in Switch Expression
- Underscores between Digits in Numeric Literals
- Integral Types as Binary Literals
- Provide support to handle multiple exceptions in a single catch block
- Try-with-resources Statement
- Automatic Type Inference in Generic object instantiation
Download link: https://java.com/en/download/help/develop.html
❓ What are Java Tools?
Java Tools are software applications that help developers to ease the entire process of developing, testing, and deployment in Java. These tools help developers to monitor, optimize, troubleshoot and improve the performance of Java applications. It also allows you to check the database, memory, and concurrency and helps you find runtime and compile-time issues in Java programs.
✅ How various Java Tools are used in Application Development?
Here is how Java tools are used in application development:
- Java tools are used to monitor, optimize and improve the performance of Java applications
- Finding runtime and compile-time issues in Java programs
- Monitoring of JVM, JRE, Java application server, JDBC, JMX, etc.
- It is used to analyze the physical and virtual Java server metrics like fan speed, power supply, temperature, etc.
- Jave tools are used to automate the patching process
- These tools are used to write and run tests with ease
- Java tools are used for easy and efficient Java project management
- These tools help to monitor individual methods and functions in Java code
🚀 Which are the Best Java Development Tools?
Below are some of the best Java development tools:
- ManageEngine Applications Manager
- Java Performance Monitoring
- Apache Maven
- IntelliJ IDEA