A DVD ripper is a computer application that converts DVD or Blu-Ray movie into a different file format, typically in the ISO format. It is used to transfer a video on DVDs to various formats to edit or back up DVD content. It also helps you to convert a DVD video for playback on media players and different types of mobile devices.
DVD ripping software helps you automatically download detailed information from the music database like the album, artist, etc. It also allows you to stream DVDs to other online video formats.
Following is a handpicked list of Top DVD ripper Tools with popular features and website links. The list contains both open-source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
A Legal Warning: Ripping copyright-protected DVDs is illegal in the United States. You can back up or make a copy of them only for personal use. You shouldn’t rip commercial, copyrighted, or copy-protected videos to resell or share with other people. However, you can legally rip your personal videos and make a copy of them. At Guru99, we do not encourage such activities.
Important: Remember to only rip DVD and BD discs that you personally own.
BEST DVD Rippers for Windows 10 & Mac
|Name||Supported OS||Free Trial||Blu-ray Support||Link|
|👍 WinX DVD Ripper||Windows, Mac.||Yes||Yes||Learn More|
|DVDFab DVD Ripper||Windows, Mac.||No||Yes||Learn More|
|WonderFox DVD Ripper||Windows only||Yes||Yes||Learn More|
|MakeMKV||Windows, Linux, Mac.||No||Yes||Learn More|
WinX DVD Ripper is a ripping software to digitize DVDs for easier backup, editing, and sharing. It is one of the best DVD rippers for Windows 10 that supports file formats like ASF, DAT, MPEG, and MP4. It also allows you to play copy-protected DVDs.
- You can play music in MP3, RMA, WMA, and other ISO formats.
- This is one of the best free DVD ripper for Mac that allows you to set the playback rate.
- WinX DVD player can play commercial as well as homemade DVDs.
- This is one of the best DVD rippers for Mac to copy the DVD to the MPEG2 file.
- Provides High-Quality Engine with de-interlacing.
- Pricing: Free edition available. The paid license version has more features.
- Platforms: Windows and Mac OS.
- Ripping speed: Fast.
- Protected DVD: Yes.
DVDFab is a DVD ripping software that allows you to rip a DVD to your computer in standard formats. It can also rip only audio, so if you would like music from a film or show, then DVDFab can grab it for you.
- Supports batch conversion with the help of multi-core CPUs as well as Intel Quick Sync
- The quality of your output videos can be enhanced exponentially
- 4K/H.265 conversion profiles
- Allows you to rip DVDs containing multiple VTS protections
- This is one of the best free DVD rippers that offers audio-visual effects
- Enables you to automatically download detailed information from the music database
- This is one of the best DVD ripper for Mac that supports the newest protection
- Pricing: Three license plans 1) $39.99 (For one month) 2) $59.99 (For one year) 3) $84.99 (Lifetime
- Ripping speed: Slow
- Protected DVD: Yes
- Supported platforms: Windows and Mac
WonderFox DVD Ripper Pro is simple to use, making DVD ripping easy. It helps you to select your preferred output format and start digitizing your DVDs. This DVD ripping tool lets you create 1:1 copies for top-notch quality.
- Helps you rip DVD within 5 minutes
- This is one of the best free DVD rippers for Windows 10 that offers basic editing features
- WonderFox DVD Ripper tool lets you quickly back up DVDs in just five minutes
- It lets you create 1:1 copies for top-notch quality
- Pricing: Free edition available. Paid license version has more features
- Ripping speed: Fast
- Protected DVD: Yes
- This is one of the best free DVD ripper software that helps you customize video and audio parameters
- Supported Platforms: Windows
MakeMKV is a DVD ripper tool with a combination of both freeware and shareware. It provides free functionality to open DVD discs.
- Reads DVD and Blu-ray discs.
- Preserves chapters information.
- This is one of the best DVD rippers for Mac that offers software for conversion or decryption.
- Pricing: Free edition available.
- Ripping speed: Full speed.
- Protected DVD: Yes.
- Supported platforms: Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
5) Leawo DVD Ripper
Leawo DVD Ripper is a Windows 10 DVD ripping software. This DVD ripper tool not only burns DVDs but also works as YouTube downloader and video converter. It easily rips DVDs and converts your DVD to popular formats of video and audio.
- It helps you to convert your DVD to audio or video in more than 180+ formats.
- This DVD converter software also enables you to upload videos from YouTube and other video-sharing websites.
- It has an inbuilt video editor and 3D movie creator that helps you to create customized video files.
- This is one of the best free DVD ripper software that helps you choose subtitles from source DVD movies for output videos.
- Pricing: Free edition available. Paid edition has more features.
- Ripping speed: Faster.
- Protected DVD: Yes.
- Platforms: Windows.
6) Aimersoft DVD Ripper
Aimersoft DVD Ripper is the best and the easy user DVD ripping software. It helps you convert DVD /DVD Folder/IFO to over 200 SD and different HD video formats.
- Enables you to extract DVD audio to MP3, M4A, and other ISO formats.
- Allows you to stream DVD to an online format.
- This is one of the best DVD ripper for Windows 10 that supports various DVD types.
- Helps you search for DVD information from the authority site.
- Allows you to embed movie metadata while converting DVD movies.
- Enables you to sync ripped DVD movies with the iTunes Library.
- Supported platforms: Windows.
VidCoder is a video ripper and transcoder that works with both DVD’s and video files. It is an ideal tool to configure the encoding of video files you already have.
- Excellent configuration options.
- This is one of the best free DVD ripper that helps you to generate reports.
- It offers queue, resume and pause encoding options.
- Provides completely integrated encoding pipeline.
- Allows you to set target bitrate, size, or quality for video.
- This is one of the best DVD ripper for Windows 10, which offers powerful batch encoding.
- Instant source previews.
- Creates small encoded preview clips.
8) Freemake DVD Ripping Software
Freemake allows you to join video files to have one big-merged file. It can also convert videos to Flash or HTML5, as well as MP3 formats.
- Freemake supports dozens of file formats for ripping DVDs and Blu-ray videos like MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, 3ZGP, SWF, and other ISO formats.
- This software extracts original files from all disc types.
- Allows you to select and save only those DVD titles or chapters from the disc you want to back up as digital files.
- This is one of the best DVD ripping software that maintains original quality.
- Helps you digitize DVD movies with inbuilt subtitles.
- Allows you to directly send a DVD video to your YouTube account or share it on your website.
- This is one of the best DVD ripper for Windows 10 that helps you reduce the size of DVD videos for easier writing & sharing.
- Supported platform: Windows.
9) Format Factory
Format Factory is a free, multifunctional audio and video DVD ripper tool. This application helps you convert PDF, video & audio, rip DVDs, and BD to video files. It also provides a screen recorder as well as a video downloader.
- Provides a program with an intuitive interface and supports many popular video formats from one format to another.
- This is one of the best DVD ripper software that allows you to rip DVD and Blu-ray discs, but it doesn’t rip the encrypted disc.
- Regular updates and improvements make it a better application.
- Offers customization options like adjust video bitrates, size, add watermark & subtitles before starting the DVD ripping process.
- Offers picture files conversion and supports WebP and Heic.
- Supported platform: Windows.
❓ How can you select good DVD ripper software?
The best software to rip DVDs will let you easily rip any DVDs or Blu-ray to any formats you like. However, this is not a lonely factor when selecting a reliable ripper.
Following are the important features that a good DVD ripper should have:
- The DVD ripper software should be able to back up any encrypted DVDs, including older and recent ones, and remove copy protection from the DVD.
- It should help you to convert DVD files at high speed.
- It must allow you to convert video files between many formats with ease.
- A good DVD ripper should provide rich functionality like burning videos to DVD to MP3, MP4 Wav, and other formats.
- It should also help you to convert web videos with some video editing functionalities.
- It should have a reasonable price with a free trial option.
- The DVD ripper software should support various languages.
⚡ Can ripping damage the physical DVD?
No, ripping never damages the physical DVD or erases the content it contains. As it just saves and reads encrypted data from a DVD and manipulates it to copy on a home computer.
🏅 Can ripping affect content quality?
Ripping mostly consists of some form of compression, so yes, ripping may affect the quality of the DVD content. However, these changes are hardly noticeable. So, it is better to opt for DVD ripping tools that have features in place to eliminate quality suppression.
💻 Can I get help and support for my DVD Rip software?
There are many easy-to-use DVD ripper software available in the market. However, most DVD ripper software manufacturers provide excellent customer support service.
Therefore, you must opt for the one that comes with tutorials, FAQs, and a knowledge base on the developer’s website. Just in case if you didn’t find your answers there, manufacturers should also offer email or live chat support.
❗ What is audio quality conversion supported by Rippers?
The supported audio quality conversion supported by audio rippers is 320kbps.
👉 How do you copy a DVD of a DVD rip?
If you have a DVD rip like MPEG2 or MPEG4 file converted from a DVD, then it is not a format that you can copy onto a DVD to play it in a DVD player.
You need a DVD ripper software or DVD authoring software to convert the video file to DVD format. It will allow you to burn that directly as a DVD video disk. If you have a source DVD that you want to copy, you can do it if it is unencrypted by using a DVD ripper software tool.
DVDs can be of 5 gig or 8 gig size depending on what the source it has. You may need a different DVD media to burn. Moreover, it is also possible to shrink the DVD by removing menus or recompressing the video file using tools.
🔒 Is it illegal to rip a DVD that you own?
Yes, it is. If you are ripping files containing your footage like a wedding birthday video, you are free to save rip files. However, many commercial contents is protected by copyright laws. Therefore, ripping DVDs for commercial use is strictly illegal.
❓ Can Blu-ray be ripped?
You can copy (rip, in the more common vernacular) an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc, but doing it is more of a hassle than other types of media.
🚀 How long does it take to rip a DVD?
The time to process rip DVD can be shorter or longer based on the software you use, the ripping settings, and your computer configuration, as it needs to access GPU acceleration, etc. However, it takes around 10-30 minutes to rip a standard DVD movie in most cases.