Database Design is a collection of processes that facilitate the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of database management systems (DBMS). Properly designed databases help you to improve data consistency for disk storage.
There are a wide range of software that helps you to design your database diagrams with ease. These database design tools can be used to create a physical model or ERD of your database so that you can quickly create tables and relationships.
Following is a handpicked list of Database Diagram Design Tools, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source(free) and commercial(paid) database design tools.
Top ERD Diagram Tool / Database Diagram Tools
|👍 DbSchema||Download for Free||Learn More|
|👍 drawSQL||Lifetime Free Basic Plan||Learn More|
|Moqups||Free Trial (No credit card required)||Learn More|
|Lucidchart||Lifetime Free Basic Plan||Learn More|
|Slickplan||14-Day Free Trial (No credit card required)||Learn More|
DbSchema is a visual database designer & manager for any SQL, NoSQL, or Cloud database. The tool enables you to visually design & interact with the database schema, design the schema in a team and deploy it on multiple databases, generate HTML5 diagram documentation, visually explore the data and build queries, and so much more.
- Design schema in the team and deploy on multiple databases
- Compare different versions of the schema, generate migration scripts
- HTML5 Documentation , Interactive Diagrams, Relational Data Explorer & Visual Query Builder
- Schema Synchronization, Random Data Generator, Data Loader, Database Reports
- SQL Editor with autocompletion
drawSQL allows you to create beautiful and detailed database model diagrams. It is a platform where you can create, collaborate and visualize the database entity-relationship diagrams. It provides you with a living document of your app schema, which initially helps you create a new feature or onboard a new team member.
- It allows you to automatically generate a database diagram by importing its SQL script.
- You can export your diagrams via MySQL DDL.
- Allows you to automatically generate Laravel Migrations from your diagrams.
- Provides features like adding notes to your database.
- Provides 200+ database diagrams of famous apps.
- Gives complete support to 3 popular DBMS- MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Microsoft SQL server
Moqups is an easy-to-use ER diagram editor software that allows you to create them as per your work and requirement.
- Easily share your ER diagrams with team members.
- The collaboration takes place online in real-time.
- Provides tools like Stencils for creating comprehensive diagrams.
- You can link your diagrams and flowcharts with other visual assets within the same project like mockups, charts, wireframes.
- Provides innovative features like comments, callouts, sticky notes, or annotations.
- Provides a free plan before buying the subscription.
Lucidchart is a HTML5 based erd diagram tool that allows you to create a complex database diagram. You can permanently delete any data or diagrams associated with your enterprise account.
- This database diagram tool allows you to connect live data with your diagrams.
- Lucidchart keeps your diagram secure using encryption.
- It is Integrated seamlessly with MS Office, G Suite, Atlassian (Issue tracking app), etc.
- You can work with your team on any device across various platforms.
- This er diagram tool helps you to easily manage user accounts.
- You can import data to automatically build organization charts.
Slickplan is an easy-to-use diagram and flowchart software that lets you create professional diagrams, flowcharts, and organizational charts. You can use Slickplan for simple task management or much more complex tasks.
- Build the optimal flow of your website by plotting diagrams in Slick plan.
- Visualize complex user flows through your website.
- Plot conditional elements and transition between pages with ease.
- Quickly and easily draw your diagrams.
- Draw diagrams with just a few mouse clicks
Dbdiagram.io is a simple database design tool to draw ER (Entity Relationship) diagrams by just writing code. It is one of the free erd tools designed for developers and data analysts.
- You can directly generate the SQL statements.
- It enables you to share your diagrams with your colleagues.
- Integrate with web frameworks like Django, Rails, etc.
- Generating diagrams from SQL databases is possible.
- Dbdiagram.io diagrams can be exported to image and PDF files.
- It supports both forward engineering and reverse engineering.
SqlDBM is one of the best database diagram design tools that provides an easy way to design your database on any browser. You do not require any other database engine or database modeling tools or apps to use this program.
- It is one of the best database design tools which allows you to import an existing database schema.
- You can manage large and small databases and data models easily.
- Zoom in or out diagrams is possible.
- SqlDBM has two themes, dark and light.
- You can customize your project view by using modes like table names only, the description only, keys only.
- It enables you to copy or move columns across tables.
- This program helps you to share company’s projects with your colleagues.
- You can create a physical model or ERD of your database.
Dbdesigner.net is an online database schema design and modeling tool. This database diagram tool allows you to create a database without wiring a single SQL code.
- It has a user-friendly UI for designing database structure.
- The tool offers team collaboration & sharing of projects within your organization.
- It allows you to import an existing database or start from scratch.
- You can collaborate with your team and work on the model together.
- Dbdesigner.net helps you to export your database in PNG and PDF file formats.
#9) Visual Paradigm
Visual Paradigm is a database design and management tool. This database diagram tool helps the product development team to build applications faster.
- It has a Drag-and-drop diagram editor.
- This tool enables you to export the database from ERD (Entity Relationship Diagram).
- It contains REST API for designing a database.
- You can work with your team on the same project simultaneously.
- Visual Paradigm enables you to build your report.
- It provides a wizard to make a database step by step.
- You can use Visual Paradigm on Windows, macOS, and Linux OS.
#10) Erwin Data Modeler
Erwin is a tool which is used to create logical, physical, and conceptual data models. It provides centralize model management to business and technical users.
- It allows you to extract data from CRM, ERP, etc. for accurate modeling.
- Erwin Data Modeler has easy to use graphical environment.
- It automatically compares the model and database.
- You can manage structured and unstructured data from any database.
QuickDBD is a program that helps you to quickly draw a database diagram. It helps you to make your document looks professional.
- You can share your diagrams online.
- It enables you to draw schema (database structure) without leaving your keyboard.
- This database diagram tool has a user-friendly GUI.
- Diagrams can be dawn by typing.
#12) Toad World
Toad World is a database modeling software that helps you to tune application performance using an automated query rewriting facility. This software manages code change and promotes the highest levels of quality.
- Access key data quickly for analysis.
- It can easily identify differences by comparing and syncing servers, data, and schemas.
- Rollback transactions directly from the transaction log without need to restore from a backup.
- Get powerful query tuning capabilities.
- Execute scripts and T-SQL snippets for numerous instances and servers.
- Automate repetitive processes like data and schema comparisons.
Dataedo is an app that enables you to create data dictionaries, ER diagrams, and document server scripts. It is an er diagram tool that enables you to easily document your relational databases.
- You can share documentation in interactive HTML.
- It helps you to visualize your data with database diagrams.
- This erd diagram tool allows you to add meaningful information about your database.
- It enables you to share documents in PDF, Excel, and HTML file formats.
- You can create table relationships (One to one, one to many, and many to many) with ease.
Vertabelo is online visual database design tool. It helps you to design your database at a logical and physical level.
- You can access database models anytime.
- It enables you to import an existing database.
- Vertabelo allows you to share the model with three access levels, like the owner, editor, or viewer.
- You can generate SQL script to create or remove elements from the database.
- Vertabelo automatically set the diagram layout.
- This app helps you to validate your model and workflow.
- You can provide a public link to your clients or partner so that they can view your design.
DModelAid is an online program for documenting database design in an interactive diagram. It helps you to retrieve large amounts of records from the database using SQL queries.
- You can visualize a table with tables with keys, indexes, and relationships.
- It supports keyboard shortcuts for easy access.
- This tool automatically documents your database project.
- You can create a project with Oracle, SQLite, MySQL, etc.
- DModelAid enables you to export script from the project to create the physical database.
- You can change the database any time you like, and it will map with the data type.
SchemaSpy is a Java-based software that analyzes the metadata of a schema in your database. It is an er diagram tool which helps you to simplify the database designing process.
- This erd diagram tool supports JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) compliant DBMS.
- You can generate ER diagram for foreign keys.
- Schemaspy can produce database to HTML.
DeZign is an er diagram tool that allows you to visualize your data structures to create a new database. This app also helps you to understand your existing database tables and relationships.
- It provides easy to use and robust data modeling tool for developers.
- You can use this tool to visually make Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD).
- Navigate large diagram with pan and zoom window.
- It supports a range of data modeling techniques.
- The latest version of this erd diagram tool helps you to reduce faults in database development.
- DeZign uses ERD to graphically design database.
- Exporting diagrams to bitmap, PNG, JPEG, and GIF is possible.
#18) Database Designer for MySQL
Database Designer for MySQL is an erd diagram tool that helps you to construct build a graphical representation of tables and relationships.
- You can create and maintain the database effortlessly.
- It can generate reports that describe database objects within a diagram.
- It allows you to edit entity relationship diagram.
- Customization of diagrams and object appearance is possible.
- You can export a diagram to numerous formats, including BMP, JPEG, PNG, and more.
- Database Designer for MySQL helps you to edit and execute SQL scripts.
- Supports views (Virtual table), stored procedures (Set of SQL statements).
- This er diagram tool has a built-in database connection manager.
Draw.IO is one of the free erd tools for online diagram design. It helps you to create and manage the drawing easily. This entity relationship diagram tool is compatible with all browsers like Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- No limit on the number of sizes.
- It allows you to save the model in your preferred location.
- This app provides a drag and drop feature.
- You can create a wide range of database diagrams, including UML (Unified Modeling Language), ERD, and much more.
- It provides readymade templates to design a database.
- You can work online and offline.
- Draw.io can be accessed from desktop and mobile devices.
❓ What is Database Design?
Database Design is a collection of processes that facilitate the designing, development, implementation, and maintenance of enterprise data management systems.
✅ Which are the Best Database Design Tools?
Here are some of the Best Database Design Tools:
⚡ What is Database Design Tools?
Database design tools can be used to create a physical model or ERD of your database so that you can quickly create tables and relationships.
🏅 Which factors should you consider while selecting Database Design Tool?
You should consider the following factors before selecting Database Design Tool:
- Ease of use.
- License Cost, if applicable.
- Quality of Customer support.
- The cost involved in training employees on the tool.
- Hardware/Software requirements of the tool.
- Support and Update policy of the tool vendor.
- Reviews of the company.