Microsoft Visual Studio is an integrated development environment (IDE) from Microsoft. It is used to develop computer programs for Microsoft Windows. Visual Studio is one stop shop for all applications built on the .Net platform. One can develop, debug and run applications using Visual Studio.
Both Forms based and web based applications can be designed and developed using this IDE. The Visual Studio has the below-mentioned features
- Creation of an application in any .Net language – The Visual Studio IDE can be used to create an application in any .Net language. Hence, a developer can use C#, VB.Net or even F# to develop an application.
- Creation of any application type – The Visual Studio IDE can be used to create an application of any type. (Web-based application or Windows Forms based application).
- Debug Applications on the fly – Applications can be tested as they are being built. The IDE allows one to run the program at any point of time during the development process. Hence, a developer can check for any errors during the development phase itself.
- Extensions – The IDE has the facility to install third-party extensions. An example can be Subversion, which is used for source code repository management. Subversion is used to upload code to a central repository. This is done so that a copy of the code will always exist. Visual Studio has the facility to integrate with such software from the IDE itself. Hence, a developer can work with code repositories from the IDE itself.
Let's look at the installation of this IDE, so that we can work with creating programs in the subsequent chapters. Visual Studio can be downloaded from the following link - https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx
Once you have the Visual Studio Installer, you can install it using the below mentioned steps
Step 1) The first steps involves choosing the location for the installation. In this step one also has to accept the License Terms and conditions.
- Choose the location where Visual Studio should be installed. Ensure you have enough hard disk space on your machine for the setup.
- Click the Next button to Proceed.
Step 2) The next steps involves choosing the require components as part of the installation.
- Choose only the required components. This can save on the amount of space required for the Installation. Below are the important components which should be installed
- Microsoft Foundation Classes for C++
- Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools
- Microsoft Web Developer Tools
- After that, click on the Install button to start the installation.
Once the installation is complete, you will get the below screen showing the success of the installation