PHP is an open-source server-side scripting language that is used to develop static or dynamic web applications. PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-processor, that earlier stood for Personal Home Pages.
There are numerous PHP IDEs that offer smart code completion and validate error in real time. These tools have a syntax checker and debugger for quickly developing PHP script.
Following is a handpicked list of Top PHP IDE, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source(free) and commercial(paid) software.
1) Zend Studio
Zend Studio is an integrated development environment for developing an application in PHP. It offers smart code completion and validates errors in real time.
- This tool has enhanced source control integration that helps you to work with SVN (Apache Subversion).
- You can run Zend Studio on Windows, Mac OS, Linux, etc. platform.
- It supports Laravel and Symfony framework.
- Zend Studio can work with cloud platforms like Red Hat OpenShift, Microsoft Azure.
Rapidphpeditor is easy to use PHP editor that has a syntax checker and debugger for quickly developing PHP programs. This tool has an intelligent code completion facility.
- It provides support for Smarty PHP template engine.
- You can efficiently reuse code.
- It offers advanced search and replace feature.
- This tool support Unicode.
- Rapidphpeditor can highlight the syntax.
- It can be used with HTML5 and CSS3.
- It enables you to edit content directly on the web server.
- Menus, toolbars, and shortcut keys can be customized.
3) Eclipse CDT
Eclipse CDT framework is a website development tool for PHP. It highlights the syntax you have written. This tool enables you to easily debug the program.
- It provides you readymade code template.
- This tool automatically validates syntax.
- It supports code refactoring. (A process of improving internal code structure).
- Eclipse CDT enables you to manage the project remotely.
- It can be used on Windows, Linux, and OS X.
- It helps you to debug, inspect, and test your code.
- This app has tons of add-ons to customize the features.
- Komodo helps you to collaborate with your teammates.
- You can define your own workflow with project and file navigation.
- You can make changes in the HTML file without leaving Komodo IDE.
- It allows you to place a numeric bookmark to quickly go to the specific line of code.
- Highlights and detects multiple languages within a file.
- You can check the occurrences of variables in the code.
- You can connect your browser in real time.
- It helps you to quickly edit the PHP script.
- This app can be used on Linux, Windows, and Mac operating systems.
- You can efficiently manage your program.
- Provides preprocessor support, live preview, and inline editors.
- You can quickly customize UI with the help of Brackets.io tool.
Codelobster is an Integrated Development Environment for PHP. It supports numerous plugins, including JQuery, Facebook, etc.
- It can highlight pairs of square brackets.
- CodeLobster shows a popup list containing constants and variables.
- This tool helps you to organize files into the project.
- It supports PHP debugger to validate code.
- Enables you to hide code blocks on which you are not currently working.
- You can collapse the code to see the code in detail.
Dreamweaver is a popular PHP Development Tool. This tool helps you to create, publish, and manage websites. A website created with DreamWeaver can be uploaded to any web server.
- Dynamic websites can be easily developed using Dreamweaver.
- It provides readymade layouts to build a website.
- You can create a website that fits any screen size.
- This tool helps you to customize workspace the way you like.
- It has an inbuilt HTML validator to validate your code.
Notepad++ is a code editor that can be used with Windows. This tool highlights syntax and keyword. It helps you to work with multiple open files in a single window.
- You can zoom in or zoom out the screen.
- Macro (Automatic expandable instruction) recording and playback is possible.
- GUI is customizable.
- It supports the multi-language environment.
PHPStorm is a cross-platform IDE for PHP. It enables you to use front end technology like HTML, CSS, Sass, and more. You can perform a test for an individual unit of source code.
- It supports MySQL (Structure Query Language).
- You can work with PHP based frameworks like Joomla, Magento, CakePHP, etc.
- It contains built-in code formatting.
- PHPStorm provides hints for variables and methods.
- It automatically completes the code.
NetBeans is an integrated development environment for writing PHP programs. It has a project window that shows a list of projects currently exists.
- You can easily see the structure of the PHP class.
- It highlights PHP variables and keywords.
- You can format a piece of code using a keyboard shortcut.
- It automatically completes the brackets.
- Netbeans provides parameter hints by typing $ symbol.
- It offers readymade templates for writing a script.
- This app has service windows that show currently available external services.
Atom is a simple editor for writing a PHP program. It can be customized to do anything without modifying a config file.
- It has an integrated package manager.
- This app allows cross-platform editing
- You can find, preview, and replace text typed in a file or across the entire project.
- Supports command palette to run available commands.
Cloud9 is a cloud-based editor that enables you to write, run, and debug code with any browser. It helps you to work from anywhere using an internet-connected machine.
- You can adjust panels in any direction by simple drag and drop.
- It has an integrated debugger to set a breakpoint.
- This tool has a built-in terminal that enables you to see command output from the server.
- It supports keyboard shortcuts for easy access.
- You can share the development environment with your development team.
- Cloud9 offers a variety of themes.
- It has an inbuilt image editor to resize, crop or rotate images.
13) GNU Emacs
Emacs is a Unix based tool that provides a highly customizable feature. It supports syntax coloring. It supports unicode for numerous human scripts.
- This program has complete built-in documentation.
- It provides a packaging system for installing and downloading numerous extensions.
- Highly customizable using Emacs Lisp code.
- It offers a tutorial for new users.
CodeLite is an open source tool for writing programs in PHP. It highlights the syntax. You can use this tool on Windows and Mac operating system
- Codelite can be integrated with Cscope integration (text-based interface to search a code).
- You can customize syntax colors.
- Codelite helps you to find files effortlessly using a tree view.
- It has a command palate that holds functionality like sorting, changing the syntax, etc.
15) Sublime Text 3
Sublime is an IDE used for developing web application using PHP. This tool enables you to jump to symbol, word or line using a keyboard shortcut.
- It offers a command palette for changing the syntax.
- Sublime text provides API to extend the features.
- It highlights the syntax.
- You can quickly go to the definition of class or method.
Geany is a PHP editor that uses GTK open-source toolkit. This editor autocompletes words or brackets. It supports numerous file types, including PHP, Perl, HTML, etc.
- You can easily compile and execute code.
- It simplifies project management.
- Supports code folding (selectively hide and display file).
- It can auto-close HTML and XML tags.
- Geany provides a symbol list that helps you to know where the symbol is defined.
TextMate is an editor that is developed for macOS. It helps you to swap a piece of code easily. You can search the particulate file without any hassle.
- You can see which files are modified in the file browser view.
- It helps you to eliminate repeated work with macros.
- Supports code folding (selectively hide and display code).
- Previously copied text or code can be seen in the clipboard history.
- You can control the version of PHP file with ease.
KWrite is a lightweight tool for writing PHP code. This tool is developed by the KDE software community. It has two different input modes, i.e., text insert mode and command mode.
- It automatically highlights syntax based on the file type
- Auto adjust indentation (empty space at the beginning of code)
- It supports the KIPI plugin to export images.
- This editor offers auto-completion based on words or phrases it has already seen in the rest of the part of the file.
NuSphere is software for developing a web-based application. It helps you to write code in PHP without any hassle. This app supports PhpED for debugging PHP code.
- You can publish the project that target multiple frameworks.
- It has a built-in code validator.
- This tool autocorrects PHP code.
- Nusphere provides a fully customizable shortcut.
- You can hide and display particular section in file
- It matches a pair of braces.