Syslog is a standard for sending log messages within a network. It supports by a variety of devices. The Syslog protocol offers a wide range of system information and, it is an important part of network monitoring.
Syslog monitoring tool helps to receive and manage messages from all types of network devices. Syslog server also ingests data of all shapes, sizes, and sources.
Here is a list of the Top Syslog server tools. This list consists of paid and open-source Syslog server with popular features and the latest download links.
Best Syslog Servers
|Name||Supported platforms||Free Trial||Link|
|👍 Kiwi Syslog Server||Windows Server 2008 2012, Windows 8.1, and 10.||Yes||Learn More|
|PRTG free Syslog server||Windows.||Yes||Learn More|
|Logstash||Linux and Mac OS X.||No||Learn More|
Kiwi is easy to set up and configure syslog management tool. It receives logs and forwards Syslog messages from network devices, such as routers, hosts, switches, and other Syslog-enabled devices.
- Allows you to receive and manage Syslog messages from all types of network devices.
- View Syslog messages in multiple windows simultaneously.
- Provides trend analysis graphs and email Syslog traffic statistics.
- Helps you to auto-split log files by the time, day or based on the priority.
- Pricing: $319 per install. (No monthly fees).
- Platform: Windows Server 2008-2012, Windows 8.1, and 10.
PRTG Syslog server is known for its advanced server management capabilities. This Syslog tool monitors all the systems, devices, traffic, and applications in your IT infrastructure.
- You do not need additional plugins or downloads.
- PRTG monitors both open-and-closed ports.
- Allows you to set up the Syslog receiver sensor as a centralize monitor of all messages coming through the network.
- It helps you to create web pages with up-to-date monitoring data in the desired format.
- PRTG Syslog monitor tool can scan network segments by pinging defined IP ranges.
- Pricing: Four Pricing plans 1) PRTG500 ($1750), 2) PRTG 1000 ($3200) 3) PRTG 2500 ($6500) and 4) PRTG 5000 ($11,500).
- Platform: All Windows versions.
Logstash is a data collection pipeline tool that collects data inputs and feeds them into Elasticsearch. This Syslog server gathers all types of data from various sources and makes it available for further use. This is one of the best Syslog servers that helps you to cleanse all your data for analytics and visualization of use cases.
- Events are passed through each phase using internal queues.
- Logstash dynamically ingests, transforms, and ships your data regardless of format or complexity.
- Allows filtering/parsing for your logs.
- It helps you to ingest data of all shapes, sizes, and sources.
- Allows you to parse and transform your data.
- Centrally manage deployments with a single UI.
- It analyses a large variety of structured/unstructured data and events.
- Allows you to choose your stash to transport your data
- Pricing: Four pricing plans 1) Standard ($16 per month), 2) Gold ($19/month), 3) Platinum ($22/month), 4) Enterprise (Contact sales team).
- Platform: Linux and Mac OS X.
4. Nagios Log server
Nagios is one of the best free Syslog software for managing logs. It helps you to monitor systems, networks, and infrastructure. This software is used to monitor systems, applications, services, and business processes in a DevOps culture.
- Relatively scalable, manageable, and secure.
- This open-source syslog server provides a good log and database system.
- Informative and attractive web interfaces.
- This is one of the best free syslog servers that automatically send alerts if the log condition changes.
- You can monitor the entire business process and IT infrastructure with a single dashboard.
- This open-source Syslog server tool helps you to find network errors or server crashes.
- You can troubleshoot the performance issues of the server.
5. IPSwitch Free Syslog Server
IPSwitch Syslog server is a tool that stores and analyzes Syslog files quickly without any hassle. This software application enables you to easily convert your raw log data into actionable insights for security officers and managers.
- Offers optimal performance and availability to meet or beat SLAs.
- Intuitive workflows and easy customization allows you to reduce MTTRs.
- Get powerful visibility for physical, Hyper-V, and VMware environments.
- Analyzes bandwidth consumption across networks.
- Allows you to easily monitor the performance of Linux systems.
Splunk is a software used to monitor, search, analyze, and visualize machine-generated log data in real time. It helps you to accelerate the development and testing process of your organization.
- Monitors alert systems to focus on important actions and events.
- This application offers a user-friendly UI.
- Accelerates development and testing.
- Agile statistics and reporting with real-time architecture.
- Offers search, analysis, and visualization capabilities to empower users of all types.
- Provides repeatable, concise, and prescriptive solution for Syslog.
- Allows you to add custom “filters” for additional source types.
Icinga is an open-source infrastructure and service monitoring tool. This tool alters and reports the health of the IT environment. This Syslog server displayed in the dashboard and sent via email, SMS, or mobile messaging apps.
- It supports both direct and SNMP monitoring.
- Allows clustering and zone monitoring.
- Infrastructure monitoring.
- Provides integrations that allow you to collect, store, visualize and combine performance and metrics data on the way.
- Manages massive amount of monitoring objects.
Graylog is an open-source Syslog log server system. It includes a query and search function that allows you to filter log records according to your convenience. This application consists of a dashboard to see detailed records.
- It offers a faster alert on cyber threats.
- This tool analyzes the data and provides an effective incident response.
- Graylog provides you with alerts and intuitive reports on data.
- It collects, organizes and analyzes data.
- Offers a feature for fault tolerance, audit logs, and role-based access control.
9. The Dude
The Dude network helps you manage your network environment efficiently. It automatically scans all devices within certain subnets. This syslog server draws and lays out a map of your networks, monitors your devices, services and gives you alerts about services.
- It provides auto network discovery and layout.
- It helps you to find any type of device.
- Provides SVG icons for devices and supports custom icons and backgrounds.
- It helps you to draw network maps and add custom devices.
- Provides direct access to remote control tools for device management.
- It supports remote server and local client.
- This syslog server runs on Linux environment, MacOS, and Windows.
Rsyslog is a Syslog server which offers high performance, great security features and modular designs. Rsyslog can deliver more than one million messages per second to a specific local network when limited processing is applied.
- Supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, and more
- Allows you to filter any part of the Syslog message.
- Offers fully configurable output formats.
- It is suitable for enterprise-class relay chains.
- Rsyslog helps you to deliver over one million messages per second
Loggly is a software that allows you to analyze the logs and have a fast searching experience. The tool helps you to collect data from the system using Syslog compatibility. This application offers unlimited dashboards that can be customized with ease.
- It supports RESTful API to integrate with other applications.
- This is one of the best Syslog servers that offers text-based logs from any source.
- It has a user-friendly interface with multiple pages, views, and workspaces.
- Supports server-side log parsing.
- It provides custom tags that allow you to find related errors in your log data.
Fluentd is a free and open-source log management tool that helps you save the logs in a buffer. It offers services like load balancing and retries for maintaining robustness. This application provides more than 500 plugins to data sources and outputs.
- It can decouple data from multiple sources.
- This application provides a structure to understand logs.
- The tool is easy to configure.
- It can collect data from machines in real time.
- It helps you to analyze logs with ease.
- Allows you to monitor and manage existing files.
13. Fastvue Syslog Server
Fastvue Syslog is a tool that provides an easy method to start logging all your Syslog data in one place without paying a cent. It helps you to easily forward Syslog messages to other Syslog servers.
- Fastvue Syslog Server automatically zips logs older than 30 days.
- It helps you to forward Syslog messages to other Syslog servers.
- Provides text logs with open format, so your data cannot be locked within a vendor’s proprietary database.
- It comes with text logs which are human-read and easy to search.
- You can see the overall size of logs and archived logs per device.
14. NXLog Community Edition
NXLog is one of the best Syslog servers that provides a solution for log collection. This application comes with a ready to deploy installation package. It supports TLS and TCP based message buffering and network transport.
- Includes support for the external timestamp authority server.
- It offers a simple configuration file format that is easy to customize and has a light footprint.
- The source code is available for GNU/Linux users to recompile and modify under the terms of its license.
- It helps you to establish a remote collection of checkpoint firewall logs over the Log Export API protocol.
- It supports common data sources like Windows Event Log and flat files.
15. Syslog Watcher
The Syslog watcher is a network logging standard supported by various network devices, servers, and applications. It provides Syslog messages to deliver information about network events and errors. It allows the system admin to use Syslog for network purposes and security auditing.
- Offers multi-threaded architecture optimized for better performance.
- It is designed to work under heavy load and can process thousands of Syslog messages per second.
- Syslog Watcher can export collected data to any (SQL, NoSQL, file-based) database via ODBC connectors.
- Generates emails in response to incoming Syslogs.
- Supports exporting collected Syslog messages to any text file types, e.g., CSV, XML, JSON, etc.
16. Syslog-ng Open Source Edition
Syslog-ng is a Syslog software that helps you improve the performance of SIEM (Security information and event management) by improving the quality of inputted data. It allows you to quickly find numerous logs with ease.
- It can deliver data from a range of sources to MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Hadoop, etc.
- The application can route log data from one source to another.
- You can extend Syslog-ng with plugins to suit any use case.
- It helps you to correlate events together and transform them into a unified format.
- Provides automated archiving.
- Syslog-ng offers custom reporting.
17. Windows Syslog Server
WinSyslog is one of the best Syslog servers for Microsoft Windows. It is reliable, robust, and easy for the user who is remotely accessible using a browser.
- It supports all industry standards like UDP Syslog, TCP.
- Offers free troubleshooting in home environments.
- It is highly scalable from the home environment to the multi-national company needs.
❓ What is Log Management Software?
Log Management Software is a tool that deals with a large volume of computer-generated messages known as event logs, audit trails, and audit records.
This software generally deals with log collection, storage, retention, rotation, analysis, searching, and reporting. Many such tools offer an advanced visual dashboard to help you quickly understand the log data. They also provide archiving, real-time alerts, and automatic field parsing.
🚀 Which are the Best Syslog Servers?
Below are some of the Best Syslog Servers:
- Kiwi Syslog Server
- PRTG free Syslog server
- Nagios Log server
- IPSwitch Free Syslog Server
❗ What is a Syslog server?
Syslog is a standard for sending log messages within a network. It is supported by a variety of devices. The Syslog protocol offers a various kind of important system information so, it is vital part of network monitoring.
A Syslog server helps you to keep event logs for longer periods of time, so you can see the history of events on your operating system. This allows you to see whether any longer-term issues are occurring and whether you need to tackle any missed historical events.
⚡ What are Syslog Servers used for?
Syslog servers are mainly used for maintaining a clear view of an enterprise-scale network. Instead of sifting Syslog messages on individual devices, you can use a Syslog server to pull data from hundreds of devices and access all these messages in one place. Without a Syslog server, you need to check these massages through each device individually.
💥 What are the important Syslog server features?
Some important Syslog Server features are:
- It helps you to analyze issues and errors within a network.
- Allows system admin to generate their own rules and templates.
- Enables you to quickly sort, find, and compare previous log activities with the current one.
- This tool helps you to locate security problems.
- Syslog server helps you to predict IT issues before they impact your network.
- Offers real-time event correlation.
- It helps you to collect, organize and analyze data.
- Syslog server provides a user-friendly environment to manage Syslog data and messages.
- It allows systems to collect Syslog messages from different types of devices.
- Performs cross-platform functions to find messages that arise from any operating system.
- Provides a central storage point for all Syslog messages that arise on a WAN.
- Creates a logical directory structure to aid access to historical Syslog data.
- It uses a standard file format for event logs.
- Enables you to view live Syslog messages.
- Provides a viewer for historical data loaded from a file.
🚀 What are the important types of Syslog messages?
Syslog messages can be understood as Linux/Unix or Windows Event Logs. Here are some important types of Syslog Messages:
- Warnings of equipment failure: This Syslog message gets written to a log file.
- Capacity exhaustion monitoring: This is a Syslog message forpre-set warning levels, which you set yourself.
- Gives alerts of unexpected events: Abnormal activity or indication of compromised user accounts.
- Network intrusion detection: Unauthorized devices and access from unexpected locations on the internet.
🏅 What are the types of logging?
There are two types of logging: Auto-generated logs and Programmer-generated logs.
Auto-generated logs: These types of logs are automatically generated by the system.
Programmer-generated logs: These types of logs are generated by the developer by writing logging.
⭐ What is the default Syslog facility level?
The default Syslog facility level is Local4.
❗ Why you need Centralized Logging?
Centralized logging allows you to collect all log files and store them in a single place. There are many businesses that use cloud storage for this activity. Aggregating logs for the analysis is also a good idea.
Log files and event messages get generated by many applications and operating systems. It also provides information about the operations of your IT infrastructure so many people tend to ignore them.
However, if you keep your attention to these messages, and if you want security standard accreditation, you should have a comprehensive log management policy.
🔒 What is the importance of Log Management?
Log management is important because:
- It helps you to analyze issues and errors within your network infrastructure.
- Allows system admin to generate their own rules and templates.
- Enables you to quickly sort, find, and compare previous log activities with the current one.
- It helps you to locate security problems.