3D modeling is a technique of creating a mathematical representation of any surface of the object in 3 dimensions using a specific tool. The software for 3D modeling is a computer graphics application used to create models on - three-dimensional space.
Following is a handpicked list of Top Free 3D Modeling Software, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
Best 3D Modeling Software: Top Picks
Blender is a 3D modeling software for developing visual effects, animated movies, games, and more. This tool allows beginners to import or export videos in MPEG, QuickTime, and AVI file formats. It offers keyboard shortcuts for convenience.
- It has a path tracer for realistic rendering.
- You can create, transform, sculpt, and edit your models.
- It offers a real-time preview of the 3D scene and tracked footage.
- You can customize shortcuts.
- This tool helps you to turn still characters into impressive animations.
- You can export your design as an image.
- This 3d modeling program enables you to draw a polygon shape.
Tinkercad is a tool that offers a fast and easy way to draw a 3D design. It can be used by teachers, hobbyists, professional designers, and kids to make models. This application enables you to move, scale, and rotate objects with ease.
- You can modify shapes and objects.
- It is one for the easiest 3d modeling software that enables you to align objects.
- It allows you to rotate any shape.
- You can import .svg and .stl file formats.
- Tinkercad design can be exported in .stl, .vrml, .x3d, and .obj.
- It provides many shortcuts for quickly performing any action.
3) Google SketchUp
Google SketchUp is a 3D modeling computer program. The tool comes with a 3D gallery that lets you search for models and share among other users. This application lets you visualize your ideas.
- It helps you to customize the 3D workspace.
- You can collaborate with other people.
- This free modeling software enables you to manage layers effortlessly.
- Google SketchUp helps you to set lightning effects.
- Supports numerous plugins.
4) Fusion 360
Fusion 360 is a cloud-based 3D design software. This software is suitable for educators and students. It is available for Mac and PC. The application enables you to make various engineering parts.
- It has a unified environment that enables you to create high-quality products.
- You can create and edit a sketch with a sketching tool.
- Quickly create a prototype to validate your design.
- It provides manufacture ready outcomes that help you to meet your design specifications.
- This software makes it easy to program your manufacturing process.
SolidWorks is a free 3d CAD software that runs on Microsoft Windows. It enables you to create, validate, manage, and transform your idea into the design of the product. It is easy to use application that helps you to shorten your product development time.
- You can design, reuse, and automate products.
- Solidworks allows you to save frequently used parts and templates for easy access.
- You can create 3D images.
- This simple 3d modeling software has an analysis tool that helps you to verify the performance of your product.
- You can verify that components are assembled properly before starting the production process.
Pixologic is a tool that offers a simple way to make 3D sculptures. This application is easy to learn for people having no experience. It has many brushes to make models.
- Offers Tessellation (Covering surface with pattern).
- Automatic UV (Ultraviolet light) Creation.
- Easy to use toolbars to access frequently used tools.
- You can optimize the brush the way you like.
- This 3d software provides preloaded materials to design objects quickly.
- This application has a symmetry mode that enables you to define an axis.
Onshape is a tool that helps businesses to modernize the process of product design. This application helps you to manage your product design. It allows you to import or export industry file formats. You can use this program to review design in real time.
- Supports live chat as well as commenting.
- Securely share your design with others.
- You can customize the features.
- It allows you to draw parts, drawings, and assemblies.
8) Cinema 4D
Cinema 4D is a software suite for making 3D models. It has numerous tools that help you to achieve the result you are looking for. This tool offers easy to use the command-line interface.
- You can use a polygon shape to create a 3D object.
- It enables you to define the surface of the model quickly.
- Supports 3D body painting.
- This software offers a wide range of render (generating a photorealistic or non-photorealistic image) options.
- You can control the color and brightness of shape.
- It has a library of preset materials, scenes, and objects to start your 3D project.
9) ZBrush 2020
ZBrush 2020 is a system for making 3D sculptures. It contains brushes that help you to make a texture for the model. This program enables you to undo the effects. You can use it to apply detailing to the model.
- You can easily adjust the texture by color.
- It enables you to prepare a model for production with ease.
- Provides real-time analysis of the draft.
- It has a camview feature that enables you to know the orientation of sculpture.
- ZBrush 2020 offers an easy way to set a model pose.
- You can quickly discover new shapes.
Modo is a 3D texturing and modeling toolset. This program offers WYSIWYG to look for faster interaction of design. The software allows you to visualize your work as you develop it.
- It offers a flexible tool to combine different operations.
- This application provides a texturing, rendering, and painting facility.
- It has a fully customized UI.
- The application supports numerous plugins for creating 3D content.
- You can control lighting and shading.
- Modo has toolsets to develop games faster.
Rhinoceros is a 3D computer graphics software. This application helps you to create, edit analyze your design. It is available for Mac and Windows. The program does not need any specialized hardware to make your design.
- You can make an ellipse, rectangle, spiral, circle, and many shapes.
- It enables you to set bumps, transparency, highlights, and spotlights.
- You can annotate objects.
- Supports 3D paintings.
- It has a file management tool that helps you to manage a large project.
12) Substance Designer
Substance Designer is a software for designing tileable patterns and textures. It has premade resources to create the material from scratch. This tool helps you to edit any material quickly with non-linear workflow.
- You can create any material with control and ease.
- It enables you to combine tools for a hybrid design.
- Surface creation with patterns.
- Supports lighting for 360 photos.
- You can develop unique and versatile materials.
- It provides a real-time viewpoint.
- This application offers a real-time viewpoint of the object.
13) Daz Studio
Daz Studio is a three-dimensional content creation tool. It contains a wide range of library that makes building custom scenes easy. This application offers buildings, creatures, environments, and spaceships. The software provides numerous realistic images.
- Models are hand-painted with details.
- You can import content into other 3D software tools such as Maya, Mudbox, and 3DS Max.
- It enables you to export the output in COLLADA, Universal 3D, BVH, and FBX format.
- You can transfer figures to Maya software with few clicks.
- You can export a photorealistic image to your project.
- Daz Studio offers drag and drops functionality.
- You can change the facial expression of the model.
- It allows you to develop sculptures for males and females.
14) PTC Creo
PTC Creo is a software that helps you to design your product. It allows you to develop a high-quality design. You can use this tool to optimize the result depend on the manufacturing method and engineering requirements.
- Provides offer real-time simulation.
- You can quickly expand the deeper functionality of each drawing component.
- It automatically identifies the hard edges of your design.
Open SCAD is a tool for creating solid three-dimensional objects. It is free and available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. This program enables you to quickly preview the parts of objects. You can use it to make a parametric design by changing the parameters of objects.
- You can import and export the SVG, AMF, and 3MF files.
- Offers easy to use GUI.
- It provides CSG (Constructive solid geometry) geometry engine.
- You can customize the software the way you want.
- It can play sound notification on completing rendering.
- Supports shortcuts.
Vectary is a 3D designing platform. You can access it from any browser without installing it. This web-based application provides high-quality 3D results. The program helps you to assemble your first design by simply drag and drop.
- It provides high-quality templates.
- You can drag and drop 3D models.
- It offers various advanced and fully textured material.
- This application offers smart shortcuts to speed up your work.
- Make photorealistic rendering with just one mouse click.
- Supports collaboration.
- You can easily print design on 3d printer.
- It enables you to attach comments to your models.
Meshmixer is a program that helps you make three-dimensional printing. It supports numerous selection tools, including surface-lasso, brushing, and constraints. The application can automatically align the surface.
- You can perform stability and thickness analysis.
- Supported platforms are macOS and Windows.
- You can drag and drop elements.
- It offers 3D positioning with pivots.
- Automatically set the orientation.
BlocksCAD is a tool that helps to make three-dimensional models that are appropriate for printing on a three-dimensional printer. This cloud-based tool allows users to learn the concept through visualizing and designing models.
- Download files for a three-dimensional printer.
- It enables you to create lessons.
- The teacher can enable you to edit your model.
- It helps you to improve math and computer science skills.
- You can manage the account with ease.
Houdini is a three-dimensional modeling software application developed by SideFX. It helps artists to work freely, create multiple iterations, and share workflows with colleagues. It provides a grooming tool to create quick curves.
- Houdini is a tool that helps you to create complex models like environments and cityscapes.
- It provides a wide variety of polygons, Subdivision Surface modeling tools.
- You can choose from the range of third-party rendering applications like Redshift, RenderMan, OctaneRender.
- Houdini offers a better way of building, sculpting, and rendering cloud formations.
LeoCAD is an application that helps you to create new models without any hassle. It enables you to share and download from the internet.
- It is open source so anyone can edit the features with ease.
- This application has a library of 10,000 different parts.
- Anyone can build a model using advanced techniques.
- Supported platforms are Windows, macOS, Windows.
21) 3D Slash
3D Slash is a tool for creating three-dimensional models. This tool offers a fun way to create a design. You can use this application without any training. It enables you to paint models using color palettes.
- Create 3D text or logo in one click.
- Make a model with high precision.
- You can copy-paste, move, resize, or combine models with ease.
- Shapes can be inserted into your models.
- It enables you to select parts of objects by color.
- Share your creation on a social network.
- It can be accessed from the web.
- Make shapes using a photograph or image.
22) Wings 3D
Wings 3D is an open-source tool for making three-dimensional design. It contains a wide range of modeling tools. You can use this application to move, scale, rotate, cut, and weld any object of your choice.
- It provides a smooth preview of your design.
- Supported languages are English, Italian, French, Japanese, German, and many more.
- You can add texture to your model.
- It enables you to export any image for painting.
- The interface can be customizable.
- It offers a wide range of selection tools.
- Supports hotkeys (shortcuts) for the ease of convenience.
23) SkyCiv Structural Analysis Software
SkyCiv Structural Analysis Software is a structural analysis application on the cloud. This software allows you to model, analyze, and design various structures. It enables you to access files from your browser anywhere, anytime.
- You can identify and repair model issues with ease.
- SkyCiv Structural Analysis Software has more than 15 templates to select shapes.
- You can rotate any shapes.
- It offers a pen tool to draw any design.
- Multi-selection of the element is possible for mass edit design.
- Control permission for other people.
- You can share files with your team.
- It has a revision control that enables you to view all the changes you have made.
24) Live Home 3D
Live Home 3D is the home and interior design application. You can use this program to create detailed floor plans in 3D.
It enables you to export floor plans in TIFF, JPEG, BMP, PNG, and more formats.
- You can arrange furniture, paint walls, and apply materials.
- It offers drag and drops workflow.
- It provides adjustable lightning.
- Import objects in OBJ, 3DS, and FBX format.
- This software can be used on iOS, iPadOS, macOS, and Windows.
25) Mandelbulb 3D
Mandelbulb 3D is a tool that enables you to draw three-dimension fractal objects. This application can be used on Windows operating system. It helps you draw the most complex objects with ease.
- You can manage lighting, color, and shadow.
- Provides user-friendly UI.
- It enables you to set the depth of the object.
- Mandelbulb contains a large amount of 3D patterns.
SelfCAD is an application that helps you to make a 3D sketch, sculpt, and model. It contains many artistic drawing tools. This tool enables you to share your work with your colleague.
- You can import, export, convert, and edit the objects from images.
- Supports 3D painting.
- Share your design on social media networks.
- Supported browsers are Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.
- You can design printable objects without any hassle.
27) Open Cascade
Open Cascade is a source application development platform for 3D. It offers 3D modeling, visualization, and data exchange. This application enables you to access from web, mobile, and PC.
- Offers fast customization and development.
- High performing 3D technology.
- You can integrate software for ROI (Return on Investment).
- It provides a quick way to market your solution.
- Draw 3D models without any hassle.
- It has automated B2B workflows.
Dust3D is an open-source modeling application. It helps you to quickly create any 3D models. You can use this app to set up characters in the 3D painting and game making.
- You can export your project in FBX (Filmbox) and glTF (GL Transmission Format) format.
- It does not require any experience in making 3D models.
- This application supports English, Spanish and Italian language.
- It offers shortcuts for ease of accessibility.
- Provides an easy cloth simulation system.
- It supports Windows, Linux, and macOS.
3DReshaper is a versatile software for designing for 3D designing. It enables you to apply a texture to your mesh (a group of vertices, edges, and faces). This program contains all the important tools to improve your objects.
- This application offers cloud filtering tools.
- It enables you to inspect and measure for your design.
- Supports common design formats, including IFC (Industry Foundation Classes) files.
- Advanced customization through a rich scripting engine
- The application offers photorealistic rendering.
- You can create DSM (Digital Surface Models) /DTM (Digital Terrain Model) creation
❓ What is 3D modeling?
3D modeling is a way of creating a mathematical representation of any surface of an object in 3 dimensions using a specific tool.
⚡ What is 3D modeling software?
3D modeling software is a computer graphics application used to create models on three- three-dimensional space.
✔️ Mention the common feature of 3D modeling software
The common features of 3D modeling software are:
- It offers collaboration and commenting facilities.
- This tool contains numerous features that help you to make your design with ease.
- You can modify shapes and objects.
- It enables you to align objects.
- Allows you to rotate any shape.
❓ Is 3D modeling hard to learn?
3D modeling is not hard to learn. You can use software that makes the process of making three-dimensional sculpture, characters, and model easy.