Zip is an archive format that offers data compression without data loss. A zip file may contain compressed files, folders, images, videos, and other types of compressed data. Zip Programs can help you save server storage space and reduce the time to download it to your PC. This type of software supports varieties of archiving file formats like zip, rar, tar, 7-zip, and more.
Following is a handpicked list of Top Zip File Compression Software, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
Best Zip File Software | Unzip Program | File Compression
WinRAR is a zip software that allows you to create ZIP and RAR archives. This software allows you to add text comments to archives. The tool is available in more than 50 languages. It automatically recognizes and selects the ideal compression method.
- It enables you to compress files quickly and easily.
- You can split the archive file into a separate volume.
- This Unzip software tool uses 256-bit password encryption for security.
- It uses a compression algorithm that helps you to compress multimedia files and executable files.
- WinRAR helps you to save your save disk space and transmission costs.
- The software has many integrated functions to manage your compress archive.
Ashampoo ZIP Free is easy to use ZIP compression tool. This software supports creating and extracting with 7-ZIP, LHA, TAR, CAB, and many other formats. It has an integrated preview facility to effortlessly view files.
- It provides a user-friendly graphical interface.
- Offers integration with Windows Explorer.
- It allows you to create the unlimited size of the archive.
- You can repair broken zip files.
- The tool helps you to create SFX (Special Effects) archive.
- You can integrate with the Windows operating system and windows server.
- Support for RAR format.
WinZip is a zip tool program that can be used to compress and decompress files with no hassle. It enables you to zip large files to send as an attachment to the email.
- It can unzip all major file formats, including zip, gzip tar, rar, cab, etc.
- This tool can protect files with high encryption.
- Winzip enables you to access and manage files on your system, cloud, and network.
- Connect to Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and more.
- It provides flexibility to zip or unzips files and folders.
- You can password protect zip files
7-zip is a popular open-source file compression tool. This software uses strong AES-256 encryption technique for security. It has a self-extracting facility for 7z file format. The app can be used for business and commercial sectors. Supported formats by 7-zip are 7z, GZIP, XZ, and BZIP2.
- Integration with Windows shell.
- It has a file manager to effectively manage your files.
- This Unzip program can be used from the command line.
- Offers plugin for a FAR manager (A software that manages archive and files)
- It can be Localize for more than 87 languages.
- 7-zip uses LZMA (Lempel Ziv Markov Chain Algorithm) and LZMA2 for the compression.
Bandizip is a free archiver for MS windows. It supports archive formats like ZIP, RAR, 7Z, and RAR5. This Zip file software tool allows users to extract multiple files. The software helps you to easily open the extracted folder.
- This application supports Windows operating system.
- It is free software.
- Extract files in more than 30 formats.
- You can compress archive with multi-volume and password.
- It enables you to compress fast with multi-core.
- Bandizip supports compression of a file having more than 4 GB.
- This tool offers security through an AES256 encryption algorithm.
#6) Express Zip
Express Zip is easy to use and comprehensive file archive and compression tools available. This tool enables you to unzip zip archives and create zip compatible folders and files. It supports a wide range of popular archive formats, including ROpen RAR, 7Z, TAR, CAB, and more.
- Create compatible zip files.
- It enables you to unzip archives.
- This tool has improved compression ratio.
- Email ZIP files in two easy clicks.
- You can open and extract data from ISO (International Organization for standardization) and RAR files.
#7) NX Power Lite Desktop
NX Power Lite Desktop is a simple app that enables users to compress their data easily and quickly. This program does not require any advanced computer skills in order to use it. Software is used for people who like to attach large email files.
- Compress any file directly from Windows Explorer using the right mouse click menu option.
- Files can be collected as a single Zip file.
- It can compress up to 10,000 folders and files at one time.
- NX Power Lite Desktop automatically compresses email attachments.
PowerArchiver is easy to use file archiver tool design for Microsoft Windows. This tool supports creating 7z, Tar, and zip, and various disk image formats. You can also use this software for encrypting and decrypt any file or folder.
- It uses secure FTP client with using FIPS 140-2 validation.
- This tool automatically compress and encrypts files in MS Office XP- 2016.
- It is simple to install and manage with MSI (Microsoft Installer) installations and password policies.
- PowerArchiver provides a command-line version.
- You can join two archive files.
- It has a built-in preview window that enables you to see various text, images, multimedia without extracting them.
- You can use it on Windows operating system.
PeaZip is a file compression software that supports more than 150 different file formats. This tool has many security features like an encrypted password manager and two-factor authentication.
- It is a user-friendly tool that does not contain any harmful software.
- This app can search for duplicate files.
- The software can split the archive into multiple files.
- You can schedule archiving to control which session you need to archive.
- It enables you to compress files having limited resources.
ZipGenius is a file archiver specially design for Microsoft Windows. This easy to use application support more than 20 compressed file types. You can use such software to easily create, edit, and share zip folders and files.
- You can browse DVD/CD ISO images with ease.
- Perform batch tasks using the command line module.
- It uses CZIP encryption system to protect your data.
- Zipgenius has the latest encryption algorithm to secure your files.
- Compatible with Windows operating system.
#11) Hamster Zip Archiver
Hamster Zip Archiver is a zip software that has a simple drag and drop interface to compress the data. It is one of the best compressing tools which offers an integration facility with Dropbox, Google Drive, and other cloud applications.
- You can effortlessly share the archive with your friends.
- Compress and open all file types.
- Supports more than 40 languages.
- It can be used free for home and office.
#12) B1 Free Archiver
B1 Free Archiver is a freeware file archiver manager software. This tool provides full support for native B1 and zip format. It can decompress more than 20 famous archive formats.
- It can be used for operating systems like Windows, Linux, Android, and Mac.
- This software support formats like b1, zip, xpi, 7z, and jar file format.
- It uses 256-bit AES standards for protecting privacy.
- The software helps you to compress files quickly.
- You can edit and share the source available in the software.
#13) Zip Extractor
ZIP Extractor is a free program for opening files like RAR, 7z, ZIP, and files on your PC and Google Drive. This tool allows you to preview files. It also helps you to open password protected files.
- This software allows you to extract unzip files available in Google drive.
- You can preview and download files existed inside the ZIP folder without extracting the whole file.
- It helps you to share extracted files with others.
- This tool supports password-protected files.
- Open zip files on your PC or Google Drive.
❓ What is Zip?
Zip is an archive format that offers data compression without data loss. A zip file contains compressed files, folders, images, video and other types of compressed data
🚀 Which are the Best File Compression Software?
Here is a list of the best file compression software:
❗ What is the File Compression software?
File compression software is an application that helps you to compress and decompress files with ease. It allows you to zip large files to send as an attachment. It also helps you save server storage space and reduce the time to download it to your PC. This type of software supports varieties of archiving file formats like zip, rar, tar, 7-zip, and more.
⚡ What is the default zip program of Windows 10?
The default zip program of Windows 10 is the “Compressed zipped folder”.
🏅 How to change the default zip program in Windows?
- Right-click on any zip file
- Select Open With
- Choose the app you want as the Zip file Opener. Select “Always use this app to open .zip file” and click okay
✅ How to use File Compression Software?
Here is how you can use file compression software:
- Step 1) Download and install any of the above-listed file compression software
- Step 2) Locate the file or folder you want to compress on your computer
- Step 3) Right-click on the file or folder and select Add to zip file or Send to>Compressed (zipped) folder option
- Step 4) Select the file name, file format, compression method, size, etc., options
- Step 5) Click OK button to start compression
- Step 6) You will get your file compressed within the directory with reduced size and your desired file format